PDA

View Full Version : Storage Solutions

gingergal4l8r
06-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I am having a hell of a time organizing my stash....
I have them in totes, see though, and solid.

My issue is finding what I need.
What are some of your ideas if you would like to share.

I never know if I should sort by color or by weight.... grrrr

Please help....

Ingrid
06-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I recently bought zip-up clear sweater bags and some shelves to stack them on. I sorted the yarn by how I think of it--tweed, variegated cotton, solid cotton, super-soft, solids wool, 'other fibers' like silk, soy, corn.

I also have some hanging shoe shelves that hold my nice-to-look-at yarns like Lorna's Laces and Noro. I like leaving them where I can see them. :shifty:

I used to keep it all in collapsible hampers after going through the solid storage bin stage, but I had to move them around too much to get to what I wanted.

Having them in the clear bags lets me just look for what I want, or just look to remind myself what I have.

CountryKitty
06-19-2008, 08:50 AM
I have mine in clear rubbermaid tubs that go under the bed, sorted by weight. That way I can see all the yarns that could be used for the project in mind and consider all the color combinations at once.

MerigoldinWA
06-19-2008, 01:37 PM
I have most of my stash done like Ingrid says. I use big plasic zip type bags that you can get at a grocery store for storing food. I have several big deep shelves that I keep them on. They start off neat, but later are just all thrown in there. When the organization doesn't fall apart (due to my extremely messy nature) I have, say, light weight yarns on one shelf, and worsteds on another shelf. If I have enough of something else I give it a shelf. Even with my messy nature it is pretty fast to see what I have. (Except for the extra bags of stuff on the floor that I haven't categorized. LOL

With the big tubs maybe you could keep a sheet of paper taped to the side or lid with a run down of what is inside. If you take it out, cross it off. I'd also want them divided up some way. Whatever makes sense to you. By weight, fiber, or color or something.

cftwo
06-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I put matching yarn (i.e., all the yarn I bought for project A) in a ziploc bag which then goes in a large clear plastic tote. I still have to sort through my bags, but at least I don't have to go stash diving to see if I have 1 more ball of the project A yarn.

psquidy
06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
I have those standing clear plastic draws that i sort in base colors and pastels. I have a large wicker basket that i keep my felting yarns....then i have a huge mess in some clear zippy bags. Then there is the stuff on the floor, the stuff still in the bags i bought it in, the stuff in the binder, the stuff in my portable knitting bag.... *Sigh* I need help.

margz3
06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I have alot of mine in one of those closet sweater hangers, sorted by type (acrylic, baby, worsted, etc). Then I have odds & ends in a wicker laundry basket, more in bags of WIPS,.....

The problem is...we get organized, try and stay organized....then buy MORE to add to the stash, sigh! :blush: Control - gone!!