PDA

View Full Version : What is your fave knitting reference?

Crycket
06-18-2008, 03:36 PM
So many movies and shows, and even books have had a knitter or a knitting reference.

What is your favorite fictional knitter, or knitting reference.

I would have to say Hermione Grainger in the Harry Potter series (along with the cool knitting pattern comment from Dumbledor "I do love knitting patterns" - Albus Dumbledore)

Plus Emma Leroy in Corner Gas....especially the episode where she and Brent are in a contest to see who can hold out on their addiction alongest....his coffee addiction against her knitting addiction!

GirlChris
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
The only one I can think of is Meredith Grey on Grey's Anatomy knitting her stresses away.

Mulderknitter
06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I thought you were asking about where we reference the most, so I thought, "duh, KH!"
But as far as other knitters go, I reference Stephanie Pearl McPhee a lot. At least in my head. I have read all her books, and I quote her in my head and sometimes at my knitting group.
I usually reference her philospophy on cleaning. I hate cleaning.

punkhippiemom
06-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I think my favorite knitting reference in popular culture was in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" (recent-ish movie version) when the Improbability Drive turned everyone into knitted dolls, and one of them vomited a copious amount of tangled yuck... since then, any nastily knotted bit of stash has been referred to as yarn-barf :roflhard:
I am a very discerning knitter, though- I hate when I see knitting portrayed on tv shows, movies and (!!) even cartoons, because they are invariably doing it completely wrong. :rollseyes: I sigh and shake my head at the thought that 90% of the non-knitting muggles probably don't even notice that with the position of the yarn and needles it is physically impossible to create the garment the character is supposed to be creating... or anything, for that matter, except a big pile of yarn-barf ;)

knitpurlgurl
06-18-2008, 08:51 PM
check out this (http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/archive/index.php/t-147076.html) site..

Crycket
06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh..that just brought to mind another fave....

Pushing Daisies...the Detective knit...man I miss that show!