PDA

View Full Version : I think I want to try socks.

tgwillis
06-19-2008, 08:32 AM
What would be a good pattern to start with? I like socks that are not to thick. I would like them to be able to wear with my clogs in the fall and winter. So what would be a good yarn to start with?

dustinac
06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Silver's Sock tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/)is a great place to learn how to knit socks, watch out though they become very addictive! :teehee:

Most sock yarns are fingering weight but there are patterns out there for all weights of yarn. A worsted weight gives you more of a boot sock or slipper sock.

Knitpicks has some nice sock yarns, Patons has a kroy out that I like, and with sock yarns it also kinda depends on the price. You could also shop around for these brands...Cherry Tree Hill, Dream in Color Smooshy, Lorna's Laces, Koigu, Trekking, Louet Gems, Panda Cotton, Wildfoote, Socks that Rock, and many others.

If you do a search on this forum for favorite best sock yarn (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/search.php?searchid=971955)it brings up several threads of everyone's favorite :happydance:

sue in canada
06-19-2008, 09:08 AM
This is an easy pattern to follow. I used it for my first pair of socks and go back to it all the time.
http://wisehilda.blogspot.com/2007/12/by-popular-demand-basic-ribbed-sock.html

Mayday
06-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I just learned how to make sock from silvers sock tutorial. I loved it! I'm afraid that that will be all that I knit now! I learned on her one sock on four dpn's with worsted weight yarn. I was trying to find some classes to take this summer at a LYS to learn socks, but grew impatient and went straight to silver. I'm VERY glad I did. I did already know how to knit on dpns and pick up stitches and decrease, but if you don't, she gives very detiled instructions on how to.

onto two toe up socks on one circular!

Mayday

Doublereeder2
06-19-2008, 09:20 AM
:twisted: Heh, heh, hee - Welcome to the dark side. Socks are such fun little projects! I won't add my 2 cents about what yarn since the others have already given you good advice. Have fun!

jberry16
06-19-2008, 09:24 AM
for those of you addicted to socks you should really check out the Any Sock KAL in the KAL thread's here on KH. We love to have new people join, don't be intimidated about the 410 pages, you don't have to read all that, but it's comical so if you have a chance you may get a fun day of reading out of it. :rofl:

Mski
06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I found Silver's Tutorial, as mentioned by dustinac, to be fabulous. Plus, for my first pair, I used worsted weight yarn and size 6 needles which I found easier than using sock weight and eensy-weensy needles. The socks knit up fast and looked great.

Cirrus
06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Sue in Canada, would that sock pattern you linked work with 64 stitches? I usually make my socks on #1 needles with 64 sts, and I'm not sure what size 2.5 is. I like the ribbing pattern on the leg.

Thanks for sharing.

Trisha--if you use a worsted weight yarn and pattern, as stated above, you'll have a bulkier sock, but you will be done faster which is gratifying. You could make a pair like this to wear with boots, athletic shoes, sleeping or whatever, somewhat as a practice pair. Then make your second pair using sock yarn which will take longer but you'll probably get a sock which works better with clogs.

Have fun.

Susan

sue in canada
06-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Cirrus: I never noticed before that there isn't a US equivalent to 2.5 mm. It is between 1 and 2, so I imagine that a size 1 and 64 stitches would be fine.

tgwillis
06-19-2008, 02:35 PM
:twisted: Heh, heh, hee - Welcome to the dark side. Socks are such fun little projects! I won't add my 2 cents about what yarn since the others have already given you good advice. Have fun!

I haven't gone to the dark side, I'm just thinking about it. :oo:

becjo
06-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Dont be scared - socks are really easier than you think! And yes, you will be addicted.
My personal favorite sock yarn is the Austermann Step - I so enjoy the Aloe being in that yarn! And I did see where Lion Brand just came out with Aloe sock yarn - I havent tried it yet - but I just really like the feeling of it.
It will probably take trial & error with what yarn you'll like too!
And I'd go with just a basic sock pattern that you can find anywhere. Dont try anything too challenging at first! You dont want to get so discouraged where you give up!
Let us know how you do!