PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Knonsense US Falg Afghan

knitpurlgurl
06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Has anyone tried to knit this (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/people_places.html)? You can knit each state separatly and sew them altogether. However, she says she ended up knitting in strips after making modifications to some of the patterns so that they were all the same size. Being a knitting newbie, I cannot make modifications without it turning out wrong. I just wondered if anyone had knit this and if so - had written down the modifications. Thanks in advance!

FYI: That's suppossed to say FLAG

Mike
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Being a knitting newbie, I cannot make modifications without it turning out wrong.
Sure you can. You've been at it longer than I have.
Just think about what needs to happen.

I didn't go through all the patterns but I bet her modifications were just adding cast on and rows so they all come out the same.

margz3
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
That is SO cool! I will definitely save this link to my favorites....one of those "someday" patterns!

HollyP
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
You can definitely do it! From the ones I looked at they are all the same number of rows. If that is the case the only modifications you would have to make would be the in cast on. Most I saw were 37 or 38. I don't know if any have more or less but I would cast on the larger number and just adjust the pattern accordingly. Say it is a 37 cast on but you cast on 38 for continuity just add 1 to when it says k13 p5 k13( so you would k14 p5 k13). Your pattern will only be off by one stitch no one will ever know! If you end up casting on 2 extra put one on each side (k14 p5 k14)

Crycket
06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I can't help you out in anyway...just felt the need to comment...

That looks really cool!

I am not American, nor do I much care for the Patriotic stuff *ducks and covers for the incoming refuse coming her way* but that is a really neat idea...and a really great project!

knitpurlgurl
06-19-2008, 05:48 PM
I can't help you out in anyway...just felt the need to comment...

That looks really cool!

I am not American, nor do I much care for the Patriotic stuff *ducks and covers for the incoming refuse coming her way* but that is a really neat idea...and a really great project!

The thing I like about the project is that if you are beginner, and most beginners start with dishcloths, then you can knit oodles of dishcloths and sew them together to get one big project. :)

Oh, and we'll forgive you for not being American :teehee:

Crycket
06-19-2008, 10:17 PM
The thing I like about the project is that if you are beginner, and most beginners start with dishcloths, then you can knit oodles of dishcloths and sew them together to get one big project. :)

Oh, and we'll forgive you for not being American :teehee:

Yeah...it is totally like putting together a ton of little dishcloths...

I didn't think of that...I just think is fantastic...I should work on designing a Canadian one...with all 10 provinces and 3 territories....

They wouldn't fit together as nice with the big Maple leave making jagged edges everywhere though!

knitpurlgurl
06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Yeah...it is totally like putting together a ton of little dishcloths...

I didn't think of that...I just think is fantastic...I should work on designing a Canadian one...with all 10 provinces and 3 territories....

They wouldn't fit together as nice with the big Maple leave making jagged edges everywhere though!

You SHOULD make a Canadian one - I'm sure alot of your fellow Canadians would love a pattern for an dishcloth afghan of the territories and provinces!! :)