PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Care About Messy Houses/Rooms?

knittingymnast
06-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Heyz,

Just a weird question....I set stuff down all over the house and my room. My room is a mess and it's not some place a neat freak would like to go. :aww:

Please do the poll thingamabobber. :thumbsup:

mwhite
06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Rosalie, You'd better get that room picked up and put things where they belong!!!! :tap: :tap: :tap:

knittingymnast
06-19-2008, 07:52 PM
lol mwhite!

Thanks for the good motivation! :heart:

Mike
06-19-2008, 08:13 PM
1. I'm a man.
2. I have a house without a basement or a garage and have lived here for 20 years.
3. I'm a hobby junkie
4. I work at home.
5. I will never live without a dog or three.

I wish my house could be clean but that really would require a basement and a garage. It would also require a separate area for my jewelery work since polishing sends dust everywhere.

I pretty much have to tear something down and rebuild to get it clean (it's the man thing) but any more there's so much stuff that just means somewhere else gets trashed.

I am working on building storage and planning on going with tile instead of carpet. Hopefully that will take care of some of the clutter and dust.
But I'll still be a man.
It has worked somewhat with my kitchen (new cabinets, floor, countertop and sink), but I really hate cleaning the stove and cabinet doors.

For a short period I was able to keep the living room clean, but I still couldn't manage to keep up with dust.

Jan in CA
06-19-2008, 08:21 PM
My house is clean enough to healthy and dirty enough to be happy. :thumbsup:

My kitchen is usually clean and cleaned up, but I have issues with flat surfaces..like this computer desk. I clean up regularly though or I couldn't stand it.

SBG
06-19-2008, 09:20 PM
My house is very cluttered, but it drives me crazy. Yet I can't keep it picked up. Did I mention I have 2 small children? I'm not a neat freak though

auburnchick
06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I would like my house to be cleaner than what it is, but I find that I'd rather knit than clean.

My kids do a lot of chores in order to pull their weight...plus they're home during the summer, so they might as well.

It's funny cause I just blogged about this yesterday. Feel free to check it out by clicking the link in my signature (sorry...don't mean to put in a plug, but the timing is cool).

fireflyknitter
06-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Cleaning= not my forte. Now that I'm home full time (til school starts!) I feel like I should be cleaning more but.... eh. Maybe I'm a pig but I just don't care? The only time I "clean up" is when we have company. :aww:

saracidaltendencies
06-19-2008, 11:33 PM
I would love to have the time to thoroughly clean my house, but, with a hubby, 2 kids, 2 dogs (one being an English Mastiff), and 6 cats, well, it just ain't gonna happen any time soon...lol...My house is what I like to call an organized mess :p Yeah, it's cluttered (I used to think this house had plenty of room...haha), but, the messes are usually at the very least, organized. Like my mess of mail and assorted papers that are in a nice tidy stack on the counter by the microwave, or, my mess of neatly stacked books on one of my dining room shelves, ya know, things like that...lol...The kids' rooms however :shock: I just can't keep up on them.

JessicaR
06-20-2008, 12:53 AM
I care, however I'm not a fast mover on it. I'm currently reading "It's all too much" by Peter Walsh, I really can't say enough great things about it!!!

Silver
06-20-2008, 01:40 AM
I don't like a messy house, but I'm not a neat freak either. There's a difference between being messy and dirty. There are dishes soaking in my sink right now, and that's ok. I'll wash them tomorrow. But the garbage doesn't stink, the cat box is clean, and there are no old moldy plates of food on the counters.

I don't make the kids have impeccable rooms, their rooms are theirs and they can make them homey, but they need to be clean enough to vacuum the floors and not have garbage laying around.

miccisue
06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
I'd like my house to be neater than what it is (MUCH neater), but working 66 hour weeks 51 weeks out of the year doesn't leave much time. And, once you get behind, you never catch up.
Also, I gained/lost/gained weight (and after my reunion next weekend will have at least the time I'm spending on it to spend on exercise) and am going for the loss again - therefore I have several "decreasing" sizes of clothes that I can't get rid of right at the moment. And we have too little space for it all. Sigh...... I need at least a week (or two) to have nothing to do but go through stuff and pitch. I'm an avid reader, so there are books everywhere. I'm sure there are some I could donate to a local "friends of the library" sale so they could resell them and raise money for much needed equipment....but again, no time.
So, while my house is not unhealthy, it literally looks like a tornado has gone through it. UGH.

Ronda
06-20-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm a neat freak. DS says I like my house to look like a picture in a magazine. People come in to my house and make comments. One woman just recently told me that cleaning must be my hobby. Actually, they aren't looking everywhere to see that there are some things (like the front windows) that I haven't gotten to yet! Honestly, I hate cleaning, but I hate a messy house more. I work full time and my kids have activities in the evenings during the school year so it's hard to find time to clean unless it's a weekend, and then I want to knit or read or do something fun! Plus I'm married to a man who can't throw anything away, which drives me absolutely buggy. I'm with Silver on the kids' rooms. I stay out of those, and they are pretty messy!

stitchwitch
06-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm a complete neat freak. My house looks like a model home. I've had neighbors say things like my house looks like a museum (not to my face, to other neighbors which is worse) and one insurance salesman asked me who cleans my house. In all fairness, it's just me and DH and one tiny little cat so it's not like I clean all the time. I think it must be a psychological thing to compensate for all the other things I don't have control of in my life, seriously. I kind of wish I could let loose and let my house get dirty and messed up, I won't even have a party for fear of people dirtying it up and stuff getting moved around. :roll:

knitgal
06-20-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm also in-between. I love a clean house and every week I do what I think is a good job of cleaning. I don't have any kids which helps a lot. I do have a boyfriend who loves sports, so his sports stuff takes up a lot of room. I am not a neat freak, but mess does bother me a lot. It irritates me I think.
Our old apartment had too much stuff in it, which was the main problem, it was clean, but cluttered. Now we have less stuff and therefore less clutter.

mwhite
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm an "in between" as well. There is some clutter but through the years, I've learned that if it's not storage for a project and stays undisturbed or in a box for more than 6 months, you don't need it. So, I either throw it or give it away... one man's junk is another man's treasure. Like others, clutter is okay but I hate nasty! I clean the catbox twice daily, empty the trash daily, sweep daily, vacuum cat hair daily, wash the dishes daily, scrub the tubs/showers and toilets daily and keep the kitchen pretty much spotless. This assures a healthy environment for the three of us, the 5 cats and our house dog.

I have a methodical way of keeping the house clean.... A different room, each week is concentrated on with complete wipe-down and complete and thorough cleaning. This keeps me from having to waste my days off cleaning and I get to knit or garden. About the only thing I have to do on my days off is wash and fold clothes. Flat surfaces are constantly getting piled upon and GRRRRR! my husband and son do NOT help but I am resigned to the fact that I am the housekeeper.

My son(25) doesn't clean his room enough to suit me but it's pretty much off limits for me except for picking up dirty clothes, emptying the trash, collecting dirty dishes and making the bed. Duh! Isn't that supposed to keep it clean??? NOT! He works on the computer alot and there are always papers, dust and areas that he doesn't want me to touch or I might lose something important.

Hubby will not put a dish in the dishfairy or throw away an empty drink bottle to save his life!!! His mother is and always has been a "white glove" housekeeper...wonder what the heck happened??? Now, if I'm gone for a day or more, they will both clean up and I come home to a spotless house. Wonder what that's about???

fireflyknitter
06-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I feel like I should clarify on my messy home :rofl: It's cluttered but not dirty. I used to try to keep up on the clutter but it's always back in a day so I gave up. But the dishes are clean and laundry's (almost always) done, and there's no critters making their home here (except dust bunnies under the furniture, but I hope those don't count).

Arielluria
06-20-2008, 10:56 AM
I voted "yes" though my house is not as clean as I'd like it to be.........I have definite Monk-like tendencies and I tend to go a little crazy altogether when my house is a mess, as it has been since mom moved in and we're getting rid of all our excesses!

Doublereeder2
06-20-2008, 12:01 PM
I like clean, neat and organized - tho my studio has a few stacks of music on the floor right now. I grew up with clutter everywhere and don't want to live in surroundings like that because it makes me feel unsettled and irritable.

It does help that my DH is a neatnick and he does a lot of the housekeeping and cleaning right along with me. He dusts and I do batherooms. He vaccuums and I wash floors. He washes dishes and I cook. We both do laundry. We have found a good good balance.

evona
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
My 2 bedroom duplex is way too small for myself and my 2 teenagers (my DD lives here part time after she graduated) I would love to have a clean house, but between the size of my house, having a teenage son, working full time and going to school now I can never have it the way I would like it. Drives me crazy though!!!!

Cynamar
06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
My house is a total wreck and I hate it but I'm so not a clean freak. I have 600 square feet and just can't keep it neat or clean. You just shift things around all the time. I do have a couple of weird cleaning things, though. I never use a mop head twice, never flush with the lid up, and throw away the dish-washing sponge after a couple of uses. That is the full extent of any germ-freakness for me. I think germs are good for you--strengthen your immune system.

bjc1050
06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
My house is very cluttered, but it drives me crazy. Yet I can't keep it picked up. Did I mention I have 2 small children? I'm not a neat freak though

Mine is the same way even though there are no children anymore. However, we do have 3 dogs and a bird. I haven't been able to train my dogs to put their toys away, LOL. In any case, when I see the homes of pet hoarders on Animal cops, I feel like my house isn't so bad...might even be considered immaculate. I only insist that my kitchen sink, stove, and bathroom fixtures be clean.

Knit4Pie
06-20-2008, 05:07 PM
My house is messy (cluttered) but not dirty. No dirty dishes moldering away -- except for that time dd put her sippy cup of milk behind the tv. Ewww.

I am terrible about vacuuming or sweeping under things, like the beds and bureaus, behind things like the wall unit and bureaus. Something that I should do more often but don't (not longer than a week, usually) is around the bottom of the toilet. I hate doing that and put it off as long as possible. That and windows. I'll do the inside but not the outside, so they always look dirty. I live on the second floor, and I can't get the windows out, so not much choice there.

rachejm
06-20-2008, 05:21 PM
My room is a mess, not dirty just too much stuff all over the place. I have accumulated 20 years worth of junk that I need to find the motivation to sort through, I do sort through it periodically but I still don't have enough room to get it all in my wardrobe/drawers/bookshelf/etc. I am also at University so spend half my time living away from home, I buy new things when I'm at home and new things when I'm at Uni and then when it comes time to move everything back home for the holidays I can't get it all in my room. I literally have enough stuff to fill two bedrooms (mainly clothes and shoes)! I do intend to go through and throw out anything I haven't used in the last six months, just as soon as I have recovered from last semester.
As for the rest of the house...well at Uni we like to keep it relatively tidy, I live in a house with 3 other girls. I'm not bothered about my room because it's my own personal space and I can put up with the mess (unless someone is coming to visit!). But with the rest of the house other people have to live there too so I try to make sure the mess doesn't spread too much - my mom would probably refute that comment but I'm not as bad as my brother, or my dad for that matter!

lelvsdgs
06-20-2008, 06:07 PM
I am far from a neat freak and clutter doesn't bother me. Until I absoluetly can't find something I know I just set down. Then I have to straighten up... :happydance:
Dirt on the other hand, can't stand dirt.:!!!:

Knitting_Guy
06-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I care a great deal about a messy house or room. If it isn't messy it just sucks.

CountryKitty
06-21-2008, 09:52 AM
My house is in a constant state of messy (cluttered and dusty) tho' not filthy. I'm a very disorganized person and would rather do anything but clean most of the time.

A big hairy chow, a german shepherd that makes the chow look small, and a big bright orange cat contribute HUGE amount of shed hair...seriously, in just a few days time so much of it gathers on the wood floors that you would think I had been brushing them out and leaving the hair.

I could really spend more time cleaning.....but I'd much rather be here talking to y'all or knitting.

Plantgoddess+
06-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I live in the country with dogs, horses and a packrat husband. I'm sort in inbetween on cleaning.
I hate clutter, My dream is to be able to vacuum without having to pick up or move anything. I have limited furniture because hubby sees it as someplace to put something down.
I'm not willing to put in enough time to have an immaculate house, but my kitchen and bathrooms are clean and depending on the time of year my floors are more or less clean.
Did you know that short haired dogs shed year round? I have black dustbunnies sometimes from my 2 lab crosses.

ecb
06-21-2008, 06:48 PM
My house is in a constant state of messy (cluttered and dusty) tho' not filthy. I'm a very disorganized person and would rather do anything but clean most of the time.

I could really spend more time cleaning.....but I'd much rather be here talking to y'all or knitting.
I have spent tons of money on therapy to make myself "healthy" enough to be capable of keeping my home clean and organized. Now I spend about half that on a woman who comes in and cleans for 2 hours a week, and gives me a To Do list when she leaves
Honestly, I believe that does a lot more for my mental health. I have yet to do my budget and say I cannot afford food, let me cancel her this week. I have skipped dinners out, even a nice skein of yarn, but not Tran.

Now, my house is still cluttered, but the clutter is reducing, I make semi regular trips to good will, and the pet shelter (with cat carriers, or toys, or blankets, or torn towels) and i look for fund-raising auctions to donate things to
I have purged almost 100 DVDs, and a few religion books, and a couple knitting books I have no more interest in.
I am way more on top of the kids and their chores. I am also more conscious of how much they DO do, and make sure to not pile on more than they can do. However, I M also better about following up if they blow something off (like my daughter and the lawn today).
at its worst, my house has met the level of chaos, and almost bad enough to qualify for DHS intervention (however, I was one of the few people a friend of mine called to come in and help when DHS was called on her about her house [oh, there goes the lawn - mower] Seems I am one of the best "slash and burn" cleaners she knows

more than you wanted to know?