PDA

View Full Version : Care for Acrylic?

knittingymnast
06-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Just another quick question......

Is acrylic horrible to you, so-so, or just bliss?

Thanks! :muah:

Mike
06-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Along with your messy house question.

I'm a slob. If there's dirt I'll find a way to get it on me.
I have my dogs sleep on my bed.

I NEED acrylic.

knittingymnast
06-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Along with your messy house question.

You crack me up! :roflhard:

Jan in CA
06-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Like all fibers acrylic has it's place.

cam90066
06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Depends on what I'm making and my knitting/crafting budget (which is usually next to nothing.)

cam

cristina61
06-20-2008, 02:28 AM
All acrylics are NOT created equal!

I've been knitting for a couple of years now (I first learned how about 30 years ago), and I'm just as crazy about Malabrigo, cashmere, silk, etc., as most knitters. In fact, I have a bit of all of the above in my fairly generous stash.

But I also have a bunch of acrylic yarns, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I own some 100% acrylic yarns that are incredibly soft and lovely, and that includes stuff that's 30+ years old!

I understand that some folks just don't care for acrylic, and some people are uncomfortable with some of its properties. I'm not trying to convince anyone to knit with something they just don't want to knit with.

But it does bother me when people assume that all acrylic is nasty, rough, ugly, and good for only pet bedding. Like all yarns, those made with man-made materials cover a wide range of quality and textures. It's really inaccurate and unfair to say all natural yarns are good and all acrylics are bad. Yarn is yarn -- some you want to use, and some you don't.

Okay, end of lecture. :whistle:

PeattieWa
06-20-2008, 02:35 AM
I definitely use acrylic for all of my charity projects as that is what is preferred by the organizations. I don't have a super yarn budget either as alot of the yarn I purchase is at thrift shops and garage sales.

Debkcs
06-20-2008, 04:04 AM
For any project for just about any adult, I wouldn't use acrylic. But right now, albeit very slowly, I'm making a 'baby doll' purse for my DGD. Using Vanna's Choice which is working out quite well, although it's one of the splittiest yarns I've ever worked with. The stitch definition is really good, and the best part is that my DIL will be able to toss this bag into the washer and dryer without worry that it will shrink or anything.

But would I make a sweater out of it? No way.

I only got a few rows done tonight, don't know if this will be ready by her bd on July 4th. Crossed Fingers

gotta knit
06-20-2008, 07:50 AM
I've used some decent acrylics.
A real bonus for items that are going to need regular machine washing & drying!

MAmaDawn
06-20-2008, 08:04 AM
For baby and kids stuff that's what I use. As a mom that's what I'd prefer cuz it's so easy to wash.

I do agree that it's like all yarn it has it's place. I've used some that I love, Caron Simply Soft, Read Heart Soft yarn, some that I think is ok, Vanna's Choice, and some that I really don't like.

But I've felt wool that I wouldn't knit with if I was paid to.

So it really has it's place... and there are some that I really love!

knitgal
06-20-2008, 08:59 AM
I think it has it's uses. For the charity knitting we do it's essential. The hospital washes the blankets in hot water and puts them in the dryer, you just cannot use wool for that. In my own knitting, I usually use yarn with some wool content because I like it and I like natural fibres.

Have you checked out the many many threads about this on Ravelry? Or is that where the idea came from?

auburnchick
06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
My stash consists of about half and half. Ever since I started working on charity blankets, my acrylic stash has grown. I have my favorites...Caron Simply Soft and Hobby Lobby's "I Love this Yarn" are my favorites. As other people have stated, it has its uses. I've seen beautiful things made out of it.

:::AuburnChick now takes her leave to go shopping for green acrylic for the latest charity blanket she's working on:::

kellee0302
06-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I mainly use acrylic yarn because I'm a wash and dry person. I hate hand washing and despise dry cleaning. I also will use it if I'm making a gift so the recipient won't have to worry about washing instructions.

Doublereeder2
06-20-2008, 12:10 PM
There are some great acrylics available just like there are some horrible wools. So like any fiber - synthetic, natural or a blend, I pick and choose what is suitable for the project, what feels great and what fits in my budget.

Debkcs
06-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Yep, it's all in the application. No way would I make this bag out of anything but a washable acrylic, and there's no way I'd make someone allergic to wool a scarf out of it.

jdee
06-20-2008, 03:36 PM
I'll use anything as long as it's soft.:)

rachejm
06-20-2008, 04:58 PM
It all depends on my budget.

Plantgoddess+
06-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Two of my favorite summer tops are knit of acrylic blends. They are both Sirdar brand yarns and I really love them. I throw them in the washer and dryer, fold and put away til worn again. They are soft and drape well and look great. I get lots of compliments on them.
I agree with others that not all acrylics are alike and I think some of the nicer yarns for summer weight clothing are made with acrylic and other manmade fibers.
I personally wouldn't make myself clothing from most of the yarns at Michaels or other discount yarns, but love them for afghans and other household items.
It comes down to personal choice. When you hold a yarn in your hands and fondle it what comes to mind as a potential project.

ArtLady1981
06-21-2008, 01:06 AM
"A place for everything, and everything in its place"

Acrylic yarn has its usefulness, and it can knit up very nicely, and the price-point is usually affordable...and it is washable...which makes it wonderful for baby and kid knits.

My favorite acrylic yarn is Simply Soft by Caron. I like the soft luster and sheen. The colors are subtle and very pretty. I've never seen a Simply Soft project that I didn't like. The yarn just makes the project all the better!

http://image.herrschners.com/zoom_img/WW012600YSz.jpg

I also like making baby and kid knits with Encore Colorspun by Plymouth.
It's 75% acrylic/25% wool. It is nice, and washes well!

http://image.herrschners.com/itm_img/WW714500.jpg

knittingymnast
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Have you checked out the many many threads about this on Ravelry? Or is that where the idea came from?

I'm not on Ravelry.

KniftyKnitterGal
06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I have used acrylic, I have ONLY used acrylic. There are times when it is a pain in the butt, but other times it is nice and lovely. And the only reason why I only use acrylic is because I have never SEEN or TOUCHED any real yarn in person. How lame of me. :wall:

munchkin928
06-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I've used a lot of acrylic, especially Caron Simply Soft, and especially when I was first learning. I think the durability of acrylic is really appealing. I just felted a little purse, and based on what the washing machine was able to do to that fabric I think I may be permanently scared off from ever using 100% wool for something I don't want to felt!

I think my very favorite stuff is going to be blends. For example right now I'm knitting a lace scarf with yarn that's 50% cotton, 50% acrylic and I LOVE it (Plymouth Yarns Jeannee).

From what I've seen of yarns, it seems to be not so helpful to simply lump every yarn which is made of the same material all together - there's a lot of variety, even in the stuff that you can find at Wal-Mart.

Arielluria
06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
I like that Acryllics soften up after washed, and I like having some articles, like ponchos that I throw on to take the dogs out or something without worrying about messing up a wonderful hand-knit item :teehee:

sakura-panda
06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I love acrylic; I love superwash wool; I love anything that is smooth and easy to care for! :happydance:

When I was actively crocheting many many years ago, my favorite yarn was Red Heart Super Saver. Apparently, this is an evil yarn and I have horrible taste! :noway: :rofl:

I learned how to knit on Cascade 220 Superwash, so I can see where the acrylic doesn't "feel" as nice, but I still love how easy it is to work with and how well the stitches show up against it. :inlove:

I'm sure other (more expensive) acrylic yarns are a dream to knit/crochet, but I still have a large stash of Super Saver to work through and I think I'll quite happy with it until it is all gone. :thumbsup:

My only problem with it right now is that I don't know what I was thinking when I bought some of those colors! :roflhard:

Arielluria
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I've also used Caron Simply soft twice for Irish Hiking Scarves and I love the sheen. Now I'm using Paton's Shetland Chunky for a quick top down cardi (Sunkist) it's an acryllic/wool blend and I'm loving it very much!

knittingymnast
07-03-2008, 08:35 AM
No offense, but RHSS is horribibble!

suzeeq
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
It has its uses. And if you think it's awful now, let me tell you it was much worse 30 years ago.

redheadrachel
07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't like that if someone loves acrylic, some people act like they're less of a knitter. I also don't like that if someone hates acrylic, some people act like they're being a snob or judgmental - it's just yarn, they're not offending it or hurting its feelings by not liking or using it.

I personally don't like acrylic, though I'll sometimes use Caron Simply Soft, Vanna's Choice, or something similar. I don't like the plastic-y feel of even the softer ones, and I love the properties of natural fibers. I like to think I enjoy the finer things in life, and nice natural fibers seem to be a realistic extension of this. My fiber preference does not reveal my social, religious or political ideals, what I think of people who use any type of yarn, or how I feel about a host of other issues. It certainly is not related in any way to my current income, in fact, the amount of money in my bank account inversely correlates to the amount of quality fiber in my stash. It's just my yarn preference, and it makes me happy.

People should use what works for them and what makes them happy. And acrylic doesn't make me particularly happy. If it's what you love and it works well for what you want, then more power to you (and more natural fiber to me) :-D

susi
07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
i have just descovered 'better' yarn in the last few weeks, so am a little giddy with the softness etc.

but i still love my acrylics. they are great to make ds quick projects that i dont mind so much that he reuins. i wouldn't want to spend 30+ on a jumper for him to wear it and trash it day no 1 (boys will be boys i guess haha).

for things that i make for adults i tend to buy 'better' yarn as they will last that much longer and usually the adult wont grow outa them
so all in all i love them as well, they are just a differect type of yarn to me. no better no worse

heatherg23
07-03-2008, 12:49 PM
The only bad thing is that everything sticks to it. Dog hair, fuzz everything. That's the only downfall. Its definetly the easiest to work with.

Mike
07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
The only bad thing is that everything sticks to it. Dog hair, fuzz everything. That's the only downfall. Its definetly the easiest to work with.
I like working with wool because of the felted join.
My wools socks are embedded with dog hair and wood shavings, and not being able to run them through the washer/dryer means it has to be picked off by hand.

My acrylic blankets are really embedded with dog hair but the washer/dryer does a good job at removing it.