PDA

View Full Version : Non-pilling yarn for socks? (not that fine stuff)

sideways
06-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I finished my first pair of socks a while back, and really like them. The wool keeps my feet warm despite having sweaty feet.

My problem is the yarn (Patons classic wool) pilled horribly after two wearings. It wasn't the washing, it was the abrasion of being inside slippers because I noticed new fuzzies after wearing them for a few hours.

Can someone suggest a wool worsted that won't pill so bad, and close in price range? I like making my own socks, but there's no point if yarn costs more than buying store socks. I'm interested in utility here, not large color selection or if it self-stripes or not.

Thanks.

Jaxhil
06-20-2008, 08:27 AM
I am by no means experienced in this subject, but I have heard that sock yarn needs to have some nylon content (25-30%) to hold up well. I am sont sure if this would mean less pilling, or just refers to the ability to resist holes.

good luck!

Denise in Michigan
06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I agree that some non-wool content helps prevent pilling. If you're looking for worsted weight and reasonable price, I would suggest trying Lion brand Woolease.

knitgal
06-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Just a question, why don't you want to use "the fine stuff"? It may seem a little intimidating, but it's not that bad- especially if you've made socks already. There are several designated "sock yarns" that are sport weight, which might be a little easier for you.