PDA

View Full Version : OMG !! My husband just brought home a puppy

1knittychick
06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
I really don't like surprises and my husband just brought home an American Bulldog/Boxer mix puppy. Our sons knew about this ALL DAY long and didn't tell me. I love animals, especially dogs and cats, BUT I like to plan for animals.

vaknitter
06-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Congrats !! We have a boxer mix puppy from the SPCA who I think is primarily mix, but boy is she active ! Please post pictures

Oh and as for planning for animals. I find that all the planning in the world doesn't really help me when it comes to puppies - little buggers have minds of their own.

auburnchick
06-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Congratulations!

I agree...sometimes you don't get much time to plan. Last year, we took our daughter to look for a puppy...and came home with one...unexpectedly. We drove straight to the pet store and bought the essentials...putting him in the buggy with us. It was so much fun!

I can't wait to see pictures!

susi
06-21-2008, 04:10 AM
huge congratulations. cute mix, please put some piccys on i'd love to see the little scrap (there sooo cute at that age).

i never plan for animals, just get them (usually they turn up on there own will and literally walk in the house and dont leave again!!) then have the oh crap gota get this that ans the other for them :)

SBG
06-21-2008, 07:53 AM
We have pets but I'd be a little mad! I don't like surprises of that magnitude either. I bet he is really cute though ;)

zkimom
06-21-2008, 08:11 AM
As long as your dh and sons are prepared to take care of him, great! But if my dh and kids were to present me with a new pup to clean up after and train, I think I'd be a bit ticked off.

Don't get me wrong. I adore pets of all kinds but it seems that the mom gets the brunt of the care of all things living (at least in my house it's that way.)

Dog #1 as a puppy ate off the front of my living room couch (right after me saying out loud how much I loved that couch and how it was the only undamaged piece of furniture we owned.) Dog #2 ate his weight in personal items almost every day for the first year and a half. My daughter has a collection of stuffed animals, each with the nose removed by said puppy!

I remind my kids of that every time they insist we get just one more pet.

Good luck and more power to you!

Susan

knitgal
06-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Oh man, I don't know if I would like that kind of surprise unless we'd been talking about it. We've been talking about getting a bulldog, but if it was a surprise.....I think I'd be a little peeved....BUT it's still a puppy, right? And who doesn't love puppies! I want some pictures please.

Silver
06-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Did they not tell mom because she would not be thrilled and would get angry, or because she would be happy and they wanted to surprise her? Biiiiiig difference there.

Either way, congrats on the new family member! Pix! Pixx! Pixxxx!!

1knittychick
06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
To answer your question, I'm happy we have a puppy (not excited that he has to stay in the house with our cat (who thinks we have pushed him to the curb!) The "being surprised" part? I'm just glad they can keep a secret. He is really cute. I'll try and get pics posted today.

1knittychick
06-21-2008, 11:54 AM
<<<<<< Here's a picture of Dozer.

fireflyknitter
06-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Awwww! Hold old is he?

bjc1050
06-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Congratulations! I LOVE new pet surprises. They're my favorite kind of surprises. DH brought home a black kitten in a paper bag years ago. Surprise me. Send puppies or kittens.

Beverly

1knittychick
06-21-2008, 12:19 PM
DH is not sure how old Dozer is. I've tried calling the people he bought him from; they said he's had 1st round of shots, so I guess at least 6 weeks. Hopefully, they will call me back. We are taking him to our vet on Monday.

Becky Morgan
06-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I have three kittens and a momcat who were thrown out here this spring and NEED a home. I have nine already and really, REALLY don't need more. The local "shelter" is, of course, full and will only offer a euthanasia appointment.

tokmom
06-22-2008, 11:47 AM
congrats on the new puppy! I'd would have liked to have known in advance, but enjoy him now that you have him.:)

Sunshine's Mom
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I have a 5-year old Lab (Sunshine) and would LOVE another pup. DH and I have talked about it on and off for a few years now, and still can't decide what to do. He told me a few months ago that he almost came home with a lab puppy for me. Someone at his office had a friend who's dog had puppies. We want a female and, unfortunately, all the girls were given away. He knew I wouldn't be upset though. I hope that happens again. I'd LOVE that kind of surprise!

Your new baby is adorable. More pictures please. I'm living vicariously through you.

Luvmyrottnboy
06-24-2008, 12:00 PM
I am happy for you but what I don't understand is why is someone selling a mixed breed pup???????????

Cynamar
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Maybe I've been single too long but I think it's disrespectful to bring something like that home without discussing it first. It makes me mad on your behalf. I would love the puppy but resent the circumstance. You should have been in on the decision--to get a puppy and which breed to get.

fireflyknitter
06-26-2008, 09:58 AM
I am happy for you but what I don't understand is why is someone selling a mixed breed pup???????????

Mixed breeds are the new pure breeds... take a look through your classified ads in the pets section, you'd be surprised what they're selling for! Some of the more common ones like Cockapoos (cocker spaniel + poodle), Labradoodles (labrador + poodle), and Puggles (pug + beagle) go for between $300-$700.

At least they do here, hopefully everywhere isn't the same, I've always thought it was nuts!

Cynamar
06-26-2008, 01:26 PM
My dog is a mixed breed and I bought her. I liked that I knew what the breeds were and sort of what to expect as she grew up.

Luvmyrottnboy
06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but it seems to me that with all the homeless dogs in the world to "breed mutts" is kind of nuts and to be making a profit off doing so is worse than nuts.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, all dogs, all mutts.

In "my perfect world" there would be only 2 ways to get a dog: 1) A (proven) purebreed ONLY from a Code of Ethics breeder or 2) Adopt a homeless dog.

Maybe then there would be enough of us to go around so every dog would have a loving home:muah:

bjc1050
06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Actually, many so-called pure breeds have been developed from mixes....such as yorkies were developed from Austalian terriers and another terrier- also, schnauzers were developed from affenpinschers and another breed. I don't have my dog book handy to look up the origins, but I know that these were the initial breeds to come up with yorkies and schnauzers. Hoooray for mixes! I love our pomchi. He has a lot of pomeranian quirks along with the chihuahua face and attitude....or maybe pomeranians and chihuahuas both have attitude, LOL.

bjc1050
06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Also, I adored our lab/chow mix who has passed away. I paid $50 for her. She was worth her 88 lbs. of weight in gold. We adopted our current dogs and paid the shelters $100 for them in addition to $250 for our rescued yorkie.

fireflyknitter
06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh, I know that most dogs breeds were originally mixes of other breeds. What I don't like is if I take a trip to the puppy store in the mall and see a Puggle for $800, but I don't even think I'd have the intestinal fortitude to cough up $800 for a pure-bred pup. I grew up on my grandma's stories about raising dogs in the 50's and 60's... she raised pure-bred Boston Bulls and she had trouble selling them for $50!

I should just build a time machine and buy my dog then.

Cynamar
06-27-2008, 01:13 PM
I will not ever buy from a pet shop--only a reputable breeder or rescue organization. I won't support puppy mills. They make me sick to think about them.