PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Newbie Bind Off Question

knitpurlgurl
06-21-2008, 10:16 AM
:aww: Obviously, I don't bind off many things (I haven't completed alot of projects (or at least projects that didn't bind off in knit stitch). I'm working on a project and am at the end border. The border is seed stich and the patterns just says bind off. Should I bind off by knitting each stitch or in seed stitch? This is probably a really dumb question, but bare with me here. :notworthy:

suzeeq
06-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I think it looks better to BO in the stitch pattern. The BO is really only passing a stitch over instead of leaving it on your needle, so you're really just doing the last row of the pattern.

BTW, there are no stupid questions or stupid newbies, just questions and people who haven't been knitting long....

Lisa R.
06-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Not a stupid question at all! I agree with Suzeeq. One of my first scarf projects, I bound off the ribbing in just knit (because that's all I knew how to do!). It really looked bad. If only I had thought to ask! :)

cam90066
06-21-2008, 02:40 PM
The length of the strand needed to work a K st vs a P st is different. By working 'in pattern' you keep the same spacing and tension. If you opt to BO only in K sts...but that's not the st patt you've worked prior to that...you change the tension and appearance of that row. (Thus, it can end up wider, narrower or the sts will look skewed.)

cam

knitpurlgurl
06-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I DID end up BO in pattern (seed stitch). I think it turned out good. I AM glad I asked though.