PDA

View Full Version : Work in Progress: Lion Heart's My Blankie

kateycp2k
06-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Feeling bold after completing the scarf, I decided to attempt a blanket!!

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm249/kate_moma/SN851053.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm249/kate_moma/SN851056.jpg

Close up of stitches:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm249/kate_moma/SN851055.jpg

This blanket pattern is the Lion Heart My Blankie pattern, free on their website. On one of the other boards, I posted a request for help with a "quick and dirty" blanket pattern for a gift for a friend's mother with stage 3 lung cancer. This is the pattern I chose, and the colors are an approximation of the shades of their living room (though it is starting to form itself into a fabulous Christmas blanket).

I am enjoying practicing skills such as joining new yearn in pattern, and love the larger needles (which inspired me to go out and get all plastic needles), but I do not like that I have to "bunch" the project on the needles. Being required to do this deprives me of the ability of appreciating the final size of product. I don't know if the kntting needle size needed (US 15) comes in longer length.

Initally, the working with two threads simultaneously intimidated me, and yet I grow to like them and what the finished rows loom like.

I am also not too happy about the size - it's only 2 feet wide. Hoping that washing and blocking may add a few inches.

Jan in CA
06-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Looking good!

margz3
06-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I am enjoying practicing skills such as joining new yearn in pattern, and love the larger needles (which inspired me to go out and get all plastic needles), but I do not like that I have to "bunch" the project on the needles. Being required to do this deprives me of the ability of appreciating the final size of product. I don't know if the kntting needle size needed (US 15) comes in longer length.

Katey - you may want to get a set of circular needles. You can still knit straight on them, and they have the added bonus of not losing one needle! You can put alot more stitches on them and they can also be easier on your arms/wrists, as the WIP can rest in your lap.

Nice job on the blanket so far!

kateycp2k
06-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Katey - you may want to get a set of circular needles. You can still knit straight on them, and they have the added bonus of not losing one needle! You can put alot more stitches on them and they can also be easier on your arms/wrists, as the WIP can rest in your lap.

Nice job on the blanket so far!
Thank you Margaret for the tip! I wonder if circular needles come as wide as what I was working with (US size 15). I will definitely be using this pattern again so your suggestion is something I will consider.

GirlChris
06-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Looks like you are getting a great start

Mulderknitter
06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Thank you Margaret for the tip! I wonder if circular needles come as wide as what I was working with (US size 15). I will definitely be using this pattern again so your suggestion is something I will consider.
I am sure that they do, but you may have to order them. I think the largest circs i have are 13US. Try knitpicks.com is my recomendation!:yay:

MaleKnitter
06-24-2008, 03:33 AM
my walmart sells BOYE 29" Size 15 circulars. You could get some there...?
just make sure you dip the plastic cable into hot (or boiling) water to loosen it up

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's mother. I am sure this gift from your heart will help make things easier.

kellee0302
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
just fyi, to straighten out a circular needle you can also use a hair dryer on the plastic part. Works great and doesn't take too long. Looks great.