PDA

View Full Version : Longest you've ever gone without knitting?

boo1
06-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm in a bit of a slump right now and it bothers me. I'm more interested in reading but I'm drowning in yarn.

Just wondering how many of you have days/weeks that you just don't feel like knitting. Mine has been going on for at least a week. I've knitted a little, but I feel oddly guilty about not doing more.

Plantgoddess+
06-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Most years I put my knitting away in March and bring it back out in November. This is the first time ever that I still have my knitting sitting next to me on the sofa. I have slowed down and may only do a couple of rows a day, but I am still thinking a lot about future projects while doing other things.

knitpurlgurl
06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
6 months +. When I am teaching 13 classes in 9 month's time plus acting as clinical advisor - my time is limited to say the least. This is probably why I am still an advanced beginner.. But now that I have quit my job to be a SAHM, I will knit more!!

KnitsAway
06-22-2008, 07:01 PM
When I first started I made a bunch of scarves for Christmas presents. In that time I started my huge king size blanket. After the scarves were done I got bored with the blanket so I went a few months without touching it. Then I started mixing up my projects and have been hooked ever since. I started rugs to decorate my new house and I can't get enough time to knit.

Though I am making a duplicate of the first rug for my kitchen and I have to finish that before I can start the log cabin blanket. I'm bored with that rug. But I have another.

jamiejeans
06-22-2008, 08:38 PM
I was just thinking that I've gone too long.... I've been working on the same pair of socks for the last nine months... I've put them away because I just can't motivate myself to finish them. I just started another project (a short sleeve cardigan) that will soon get put on the back burner for about 2 months as I finish up my last quarter at school. I have only 10 weeks to go to graduation, so I will have so much more time to devote to knitting! :cheering: :cheering:

Every once in a while I'd prefer a good book and give my hands a break!

Jan in CA
06-23-2008, 01:21 AM
I think a month or so in August when it was too hot to knit. I haven't knit this last week for the same reason. It looks like it'll finally be cooler starting tomorrow so I'll probably start again.:thumbsup:

I do like to read though and I always make time for reading before bed.

kristaj
06-23-2008, 01:40 AM
I just started knitting this winter, so I've been pretty much obsessed with it. I just finished a felted bag which has been the biggest project I have done so far, and now I am having a hard time getting excited about a new project. My reading is what has suffered lately. I've always been passionate about reading (good thing since I teach 2nd graders!), but haven't felt like it since I started knitting. Maybe now is the time for me to learn how to balance knitting and reading!

redheadrachel
06-23-2008, 01:41 AM
I think I may have gone a week and a half once, but I'm not sure. I usually knit at LEAST every other day, but usually every day. A couple times I've gone a week or so, but that's rare.

rachejm
06-23-2008, 05:20 AM
I stopped for almost 2 months while revising for exams.

zkimom
06-23-2008, 06:57 AM
I haven't been knitting most of this year. I started focusing on my photography back in January. Since then I have only managed to finish a baby surprise sweater and this month I started making an Amanda's Squatty Sidekick purse to give as a gift. But something that would have taken me an evening to finish is taking much longer.

I haven't been into a yarn store in longer than I can remember.

I'm pretty sure this will pass and I will get my mojo back someday but I'm not buying any more yarn until I do.

Oh well. Hope I didn't scare you!

SBG
06-23-2008, 09:05 AM
I have the opposite problem. I knitted for 4 hours straight during a recent car trip. My hands & back were so sore! I tried to force myself not to knit for 2 days but only made it half a day.

sue in canada
06-23-2008, 09:28 AM
I can beat you all. I have gone years without knitting. I learned to knit over 50 years ago and it has always been an on off thing. I have have knit more or less consistently during the last 10 years or so since the advent of grandchildren. I am now retired from work and have all the time (not always the cash) I want for hobbies, and since finding KH I am now addicted.

McKnitty
06-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Around 3 months. I have a hard time knitting from around September through Christmas. I have so much going on during that time. However, I try to make up for it during the other months by knitting every chance I get.

Wanda Witch
06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
As with Sue in Canada I had a verrrrrrry long hiatus from knitting. A friend and I were e-mailing last summer and she was telling me her desire to learn how to knit. That started me back with the needles. I am so sorry I did not keep knitting all these years since I find it so enjoyable, well most of the time I am not frogging or tinking. I knit when the 'urge' hits. Right now between projects, but I still have things to do on all of them so they are not completed. I will go back to the world's ugliest afghan, put the needles back onto the cable, when it cools of a little. Just too hot, even with a/c, with all that sitting on my lap. By the way, threw this afghan in question across the back of the family room sofa and it doesn't look so ugly now. The KH Forum really keeps me going. When I get somewhat frustrated with my work I read remarks from others and find I am not alone. You people are the greatest! :grphug:

Jan in CA
06-23-2008, 01:00 PM
I haven't been knitting most of this year. I started focusing on my photography back in January.

Just the opposite for me.. I used to be into photography then I discovered knitting. I need to learn how to use my DSLR again!

jheatherley
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Don't worry about it. I once went for about 12 years without knitting or crocheting. Got hung up on beading and couldn't be bothered with anything else. You'll get back to it. Just don't get rid of your books & patterns. I'm great on getting rid of things I'm not using, so I gave away everything having to do with knit and crochet -- even Barbara Walker! Cost me a bundle to replace things when I got back to it.

Quiltlady
06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Once I didn't knit for about six days.