PDA

View Full Version : knitting question

luline
06-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I am a beginer knitter. I seem to have a problem having all my stiches to be the same. Some are loose and others are tight.

what can i do to make them more unform?

Plantgoddess+
06-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Practice and time. As you get more comfortable with knitting and get more hours under your belt, you will find that your stitches will even out. Elizabeth Zimmerman has said in her books that washing will repair a lot of problems. Your stitches will even up some after a washing or two.

Ladylou
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey there luline!

Welcome to KH:heart:

I'm still a beginner knitter (only have a few projects under my belt) but i ran into the same problem. Your tension is probably the culprit... Its kind of hard to say without watching you knit, but what really helped me was wrapped the string that is connected to your skien around your pinkie and between your index and middle fingers. If you watch the video on beginner mistakes and how to fix them it might give you some tips on whatever is going on:hug:

Love,
Lexie:muah:

suzeeq
06-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Practice and trying out different ways to hold your yarn. Mostly it's just the more knitting you do, the more you'll get better at it. So don't worry about it for now.

CountryKitty
06-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi, and welcome. Ditto what the others said. Everyone has uneven tension at first. Most of the time it does even out with practice. I had to learn to hold the yarn differently--I was passing it loosely between 2 fingers just as I did for crotchet and had to learn to wrap it around my fingers to keep it tight enough.

of troy
06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
here is the good news: some of this unevenness will come out in the wash!

when you are finished knitting (the face cloth, what ever) give it the spa treatment.

prepare a nice warm (baby bathwater) bath for it.

immerse it.. let it rest in the warm water for at least 5 minutes, (but not longer than 15)

gently take it out and squeeze (DO NOT WRING/TWIST) out water.

then put down, mostly flat, neat, on a towel (a scarf? use a beach towel!)

roll up the towel and gently wring the towel (unless you are superwoman, you won't be able to twist it much--you can also squeeze the towel.. but

then unroll towel, and smooth knitting again.. (y now, it should feel damp wet, but its not drippy wet anymore.

(if its a hat, see if you can't find a pot or a canister, or maybe even a melon that you can use to shape the hat.

scarves and other things can be smoothed --and let to dry on a new dry towel (the wet one is still clean.. just hang it up to dry!)
you'll notice as you smooth the knitting. the unevenness is not gone, but not so evident.

(wash it again when dirty, squeeze, roll, (wring) un roll and the work will be evener.. keep it up and in 10 years, it will be perfect!)

by then, you'll be knitting that way to start.. but its good for beginners to know, some mistakes come out in the wash!

Denise in Michigan
06-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I agree that time and practice are key elements in achieving even stitches, but taking off some of the pressure helps too!
Choose a yarn and needles you'll enjoy working with and just practice knitting. Don't plan on making anything. Cast on enough stitches so that your fingers don't have to keep stopping and turning the work. Make several feet (yes, feet) of just knit stitches, then do the same for purl stitches, then alternate rows of knit and purl for stockinette, then alternate knit and purl stitches for seed stitch...you get the idea.
You need to practice those same moves over and over in a consistent manner to get good at them, like in learning a sport. You have to practice your dribbling and shooting before you can play basketball well!

gatorjade
06-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of knitting! :waving:

My advice follows everyone else's. I made a garter-stitch scarf (all knit-stitches, no purls) in order to teach myself the very basics of knitting. The first few feet of it was wavy, varied in width and had gaping holes in it. By the time I reached the end of the scarf, I had grown more comfortable handling the needles and worked at a more even tension. The more I practiced, the more consistent my tension became. If you continue practicing, you will reach a point where even tension comes naturally to you.

Have fun with your new hobby! :happydance:

braymer
07-05-2008, 04:10 PM
This is just me but when I do Contenental I just have the yarn over my index finger. But when I do English I have to it the pinkie and index way.

Beginner giving tips,
braymer

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Great comments above. It takes practice to develop even tension, but you will. Just keep knitting and pay attention to your tension as you go. Eventually you'll develop your own natural tension.

susi
07-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi and another welcome from me as well :waving:

my tention was totally off for the first couple of things i made, i threw them away (didnt know that washing could sort taht out, learn something new every day dont you).

i wrap the yarn around my index finger as well twice so it cant slip and alter the preasure so my knitting is ok.

it takes practise and time as everyone else has said, and a want to do it right (or in my case it was pig headedness as i was determind to get it as my mum said i would never be able to do it, haha).

you will figer out whats the best way to hold the yarn for you and suddenly you will look and see that its just right.

you can look at the video's on here tah tmay help you as well.

susi