PDA

View Full Version : any ideas about getting into knitting as work?

tasknitter
06-22-2008, 11:59 PM
hi all,
I've been knitting for a while now and as a mum with 2 small kids and only 1 income, money is constantly on my mind!! I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get into freelance knitting, pattern testing and so on? Please also know that I'm in Australia, so I'm not expecting alot of local info, i'm just interested to know if it's a realistic idea or not. Also, my lovely hubby wouldn't be able to moan about my knitting obsession if it was bringing in the slightest bit of cash!!!

thanks for you input:thumbsup:

mathwizard
06-23-2008, 07:43 AM
If you live in the city I would check with my LYS and see if they need a teacher. Selling your home made its is an option but you might not get the price you want. Craft fair selling is an option. I understand getting into the field as a designer isn't easy as there is lots of competition. Good luck!

DorothyDot
06-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Do some research on the internet. There are plenty of websites that deal with knitting and knitting products. You should be able to get a lot of ideas from existing sites.

If I can help, I'll be more than willing to work with you. I do have a little experience in this area: I'm poised to launch my own knitting products... teaching knitting, then guiding people through certain patterns and projects (such as making a sweater) start to finish. With every DVD comes the unique Aunt Dot flavoring with plenty of smiles and warm-fuzzies.

And if you can write your own knitting patterns, you most certainly can sell those via a website. Here in America, if you can push the "save money" button, you are miles ahead in marketing your product.

Do you spin? You could also consider selling your own yarn - again via the Internet.

No matter what, you will need to have your own website. So perhaps that would be your first step.

Hope this helps,
Dot

mwhite
06-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Show your work! Be positive and don't point out anything you disliked about a particular piece or pattern. See if there's an artisans group or craft exchange outlet in your general area and be willing to deal with consignment. Concentrate on one particular area...dishcloths, lace, intarsia...etc. and get fast and good at it. Did I already say Show your work? That is the most important and best way to get orders.

tasknitter
06-23-2008, 06:57 PM
the city I live in has exactly 2 yarn stores!! plus one large chain type crafty store, sad I know. what i'd really love to do is open my own yarn shop, but i'd never be able to part with my stock!!! Tahnks for your help everyone

of troy
06-24-2008, 12:23 PM
live in a town or city that is home to a Yarn Producer (Norah Gaugham posted a job opening at Berocco earlier this month.. too bad you don't live in center Massachuttes!)

Live in a town or city that is home to editorial offices of a major publisher of a knitting zines or books. (want to move to NY? Its home to many publisher, (lark, sterling, St. Martins, spring and sixth..) and there are many test knitting jobs and tech editor jobs (mind you they are low paying postitions, so be sure to have planned ahead, and that you were born into a very rich family, so you can count on them to subsidize you.. since you won't be paid enough to live in NYC!)

Live in a town or city that is home to a major fashion center--Joan Vass, Vera Wang and other fashion houses hire test knitters, (and so do manufactors that make sweaters for Kmart and wal mart.--I know designs who spend their days designing for ready to wear (stuff is actually knit on machines in China, but prototypes are machine knit in NYC.
(do you live in Sydney? or better, London, or Paris or NYC? (LA, Milan (italy) ediburgh (scotland), and some other big cities would work too.. (don't know enough about other cities in Australia that would work..)

Alternately become a designer, (and pattern writer) or a test knitter, --neither pays very well--but build up a reputation, and you can make an OK living as a "well Known designer" and go round about the country (and perhaps even travel to US or europe (on cruise ships, or as tour groups) teaching others to knit. (see Anne Modisett as a model!)