PDA

View Full Version : The more I explore, the more I learn how much I DON'T know..

knitpurlgurl
06-23-2008, 10:50 AM
SO I started really exploring Ravelry and boy oh boy do I feel so inadequate!! I need to practice, practice, practice!! I am missing out on so much by only knitting rectangles. Heck, I haven't even seamed anything yet!! ARGH! I'm still stuck trying to figure out the basics. I want to push myself to learn new things now that I am no longer working and have more time to devote to knitting {{{JOY}}}... I feel so stupid, yet so excited to learn new things.. :aww:

tarrentella
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
But isn't it fun to know that there is always somthng else you can learn or another pattern you can try? this is a hobby that just keeps on going!

the list of things i would like to try is as long as my arm. incidently, the list of things i am to scared to try probably come down to at least my elbow!

knitgal
06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Never feel stupid! Knitting is something that takes time to learn and yes, it's a lot of practice. I was terrified of circular needles and DPNs for the longest time, and then you try it (and fail, and try again) and then it's clicks. A lot of people on here and on Ravelry are just beginners and they are just learning too. I am always amazed at some of the projects on Ravlery too, there are some talented people out there! There are also people who are sticking to rectangles for now too. Don't worry about it. Try new things and learn, just don't compare yourself to anyone else!

sakura-panda
06-23-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm knitting rectangles too, although they are supposed to be squares. :blush: But I enjoy the practice and each one makes me a little more confident and ready to try the next thing. My last one had a Yarn Over! LOL

I actually have two projects going at a time -- the practice square and then a "real" project. I don't have a square started yet, but I have a sock that I have already frogged once and hopefully I'll be able to make some progress before I have to frog it again. (I figure frogging is part of learning ;) and the practice square gives me something to actually finish.)

Keep it up! I'm practicing right along with you! :)

SBG
06-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Eh, just try something new. What's the worst thing that can happen? I knitted sock early on, which really builds confidence IMO. I made baby socks, so I'd have a finished product quickly. Hats are pretty easy too, and quick. :)

knitgal
06-23-2008, 01:05 PM
You know what you should do? When I first started knitting I took on a big project- an afghan of all different stitch patterns. It was a great project because it gave me confidence and a lot of practice, but it also gave all those rectangles a purpose! There are tons of patterns out there for projects like that, you should try it.

Plantgoddess+
06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
If you read through the different posts on this site you will see people of all skill levels. Some of us have knit for years and some for only days. We all progress at different rates as time and passion allow.
I knit for 30 years before finding this site. I have learned so much and gotten a lot of impetus to try new things from the people here and from the Yarn Harlot's blog. My patterns mostly dated back 30 years and there are so many more interesting patterns and techniques that I'm learning about as well as so many more choices in yarn and knitting needles. I feel like a beginner in many ways and do a happy dance every time I succeed with a new technique. This has been a year of many firsts for me in knitting and I have so many more to try.
Point is you'll get there, take time to celebrate what you have mastered so far and don't be afraid to challenge yourself. As the Yarn Harlot says " it's only yarn what's the worst that can happen, you have to frog it and start over."

of troy
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
i have been knitting 45 + years, and i too, am still learning.
there are new ideas--and old ones that world wide internet usage are bringing to light.

i know 40 cast ons.. (i love to collect cast ons) and i've learned half of them in the past 5 years! Yeah! Internet!)

The vastness of the experience is part of what makes knitting enjoyable.

you can knit face cloths/wash clothes for a few year.. (and still be knitting them (as i am!) 45 years latter.

When you think you know it all.. whole knew worlds open up.

and best of all, knitting is knitting. we could sit together and knit some wash cloths, --or bigger squares like cooknknits curtains (she's on ravelry as cooknknit... go look at her blog and see her 'squares' simple lace and simply lovely!)

knitting is a hobby for a lifetime.

Crafty_Mel
06-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Well I think everyone summed it all up before I got here. I am new too and the first 6 months or so I droped my needles with the frustration I though I would never pick them up again and then several months later here I am i got a few hats done and 1 1/4 socks and I'm learning cables. and several granny's favorite dishcloths my son loves them!

Keep up the good work all it takes is paitence and practice:hug:

KnitsAway
06-23-2008, 06:54 PM
I admire you, I am scared to try other than rectangles or even anything other than a K and a P pattern.

And I'm a skydiver, you wouldn't think patterns would scare me, but they do!

suzeeq
06-23-2008, 09:23 PM
What `scares' you about trying other techniques - fear of failing, not understanding it, not doing it `correctly'? So what. That's how we all learned, by making mistakes, ripping it out and doing it over again and again. And asking everyone here when we have a question. You'll get lots of answers.

cam90066
06-24-2008, 01:44 AM
I've been knitting for over 40 yrs and just last year finally purchased a couple reference/technique books. Never fails that I'll find something interesting to try or read up on. And many times it feels like I'm reading the info with fresh eyes. Many of my projects have had several 'rebirths' due to multiple froggings. Some sweaters get finished, actually worn....only to be taken apart and completely redesigned, remade. I recycle thrift sweaters to harvest yarn so I like the deconstruct/reconstruct idea. That way I don't feel bad when I redo something...sometimes many times!... until I'm happy with the results or a new technique makes sense.

cam

Debkcs
06-24-2008, 04:37 AM
It's even possible to learn from your mistakes, and even folks who've been knitting for a long time find themselves frogging now and then. It's part of the creative process to go back and do something better than before.

I'll never be as good as a lot of the others on this site, but tell you what, I enjoy learning from them, AND I know that I have other skills that they don't. If you think about it, you do too.

LovelyLinda
06-24-2008, 06:49 AM
I am fairly new to knitting and am always amazed at how good some of the people are on this site and Ravelry. I understand how you feel because I sometimes feel a bit inadequate when I see what others can do. But I remind myself that the whole point of knitting is enjoyment. So whether you're knitting socks or rectangles, it doesn't matter as long as you like knitting.