PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy lace weight knitting?

SBG
06-23-2008, 01:03 PM
So far, I definitely do NOT. I have yet to get more than 10 rows without frogging the whole thing. I've tried a couple of different projects. Most recently is a scarf that seems to have major pattern issues, but I only have it printed and now I can't find the link, so I can't even post it for help. The pattern does not add up to the # of stitches that are cast on. It has 4 selvedge stitches on each end, 3 repeats of a 9-stitch pattern in the middle (total 27 stitches), but only 32 are cast on.

Blah! This lace sampler is making me nuts, I want to knit something but can't seem to do it.

munchkin928
06-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I have trouble with fingering weight, which I guess is one step up from laceweight? I'm getting better and better the more I knit, so I'm sure that someday I'll enjoy it more. For me, lace is sort of an exercise in patience, rather than the relaxation method that some of the other projects I've done have been. The other part is that it seems like stuff made of the really light yarn doesn't look as nice until it's been blocked, so you don't get that immediate feedback.

Sorry about your pattern troubles, that would definitely add to my annoyance. I'm doing 'branching out' on knitty right now, and that pattern grows and shrinks from row to row, from 25 stitches up to 31 and then back down again. Could your pattern be doing something similar?

redheadrachel
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I LOVE knitting with thinner yarns like laceweight and fingering weight. You keep knitting and knitting for hours when you'd've already used several hanks of worsted :) I knit for like an entire month on five dollars worth of Knit Picks Shadow - good times! I think I also had a small side sock project I was also working on but still, tremendous deal!

It gets easier the more you get used to it. Keep trying, it could be so fun!

Jan in CA
06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
I imagine it does get easier as Rachel says, but I don't find it particularly enjoyable at this point in my knitting career. I prefer larger needles and yarn.

One thing that is very important to do with any lace knitting is to use a lifeline. Lace knitting is tedious and often a complicated. The last thing you want to do is have to frog (rip back) because it's almost impossible to tell what row you are on. Enter the lifeline..a lifeline is a strand of yarn, unwaxed dental floss or whatever that goes through a specific row of your choosing (make note on your pattern) so when you have to rip back you know EXACTLY where you are in the pattern. Here's the KH video for adding it - scroll down;
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips?searched=lifeline&highlight=ajaxSearch_highlight+ajaxSearch_highligh t1
More help if you need it -
http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/lifeline.shtm
http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Lifeline

NOTE - dental floss especially tends to slip, but all of them can so make sure it's long enough. Cotton crochet thread is a good choice to use, too.

About your pattern.. do you have a name on your printed copy or know what it is?

SBG
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
THe pattern is the falling leaves scarf, from RObincat Handspun. You cast on 32, knit 4 rows, then start the lace pattern, which has the 4 selvedge on each end, and 3 repeats of 9 in the middle, which does not add up to 32 stitches!

MMario
06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
The directions I just found for the falling leaves scarf calls for a cast-on of 41 stitches.

see http://www.spindlicity.com/fall2006/falling_leaves.shtml#

suzeeq
06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
I found a lot of falling leaves scarves and shawls but none by her. Don't have time to look for it further now. Can you write out the first row or 2 of the lace pattern? Maybe we can help you with it.

I love lace patterns, but I try to keep them simple, with a plain row on the WS.

hartleystudio
06-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Jeesh, I was going to try some lace knitting this fall but I'm thinking better of it now!!! I lost my favorite silk scarf at some point last year and I was going to knit myself a replacement but, maybe I'll wait a few more years......I do love fingerling weight yarn but I won't frog, I just cannot get the hang of picking up the stitches afterward. It makes me super frustrated and nutty! I just keep on knitting through the mistakes. I don't make anything too complicated though so I don't make too many mistakes. Mostly just socks and vests.

Good luck with your project, I'm sure someone here can get you all straightened out!!!

mwhite
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
http://library.ravelry.com/Robincat/1301/FallingLeavesScarfpdf.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=1YZR91QYB 6WCG3PM78G2&Expires=1214247888&Signature=AO0PQNxzfsS0NzNbOXnfTb6aGdo%3D
This is the one you're doing, I think and it appears that their co of 32 is incorrect.
It should be 35... 27 for the stitch pattern + 8 for the two selvages. You knit the pattern stitch on the RS, purl on all even rows.

Plantgoddess+
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I just started lace weight knitting and I really like it. I did the branching out scarf in fingering weight and then the Adamas shawl in KP Shadow. I then made a pair of socks in KP Gossamer.
I am really wanting to make some summer tops using lace weight. The heat really gets to me so I find anything heavier than a tshirt more than I want to wear most of the year. Even in winter I wear a tshirt and if I have to go outside I don't wear anything too heavy.

SBG
06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
The directions I just found for the falling leaves scarf calls for a cast-on of 41 stitches.

see http://www.spindlicity.com/fall2006/falling_leaves.shtml#

That's a different one.

SBG
06-23-2008, 03:53 PM
http://library.ravelry.com/Robincat/1301/FallingLeavesScarfpdf.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=1YZR91QYB 6WCG3PM78G2&Expires=1214247888&Signature=AO0PQNxzfsS0NzNbOXnfTb6aGdo%3D
This is the one you're doing, I think and it appears that their co of 32 is incorrect.
It should be 35... 27 for the stitch pattern + 8 for the two selvages. You knit the pattern stitch on the RS, purl on all even rows.

Glad to know I'm not nuts. Thanks!

SBG
06-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Another thing I noticed-the wrong side stitches add up to 36, not 32 or 35.

WandaT
06-23-2008, 09:56 PM
I still haven't completed a lace project, but have one started and another one in mind to start. The once isn't lace weight, it's Beroco Alpaca I believe and I'm doing a feather and fan pattern. It's pretty easy with a 12 row repeat (I think) and only 2 rows of pattern in that 12 rows. The other one I've decided to start is the Tiger Eye Scarf in a silk. I have worked the pattern on larger needles with cotton just to make sure I understand the chart - I've never worked only from a chart before. At least that way I'll have one easy project and one that requires constant attention.

mwhite
06-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Glad to know I'm not nuts. Thanks!
I think the instructions on the left are wrong. And if you look at row 7, of the stitch pattern on the right, it doesn't add up either. I'd send a pm to the designer, Robin...maybe he/she can explain it.

What really bites is that this is your first attempt at a lace pattern and the pattern may be screwy. Don't give up, lace is not that difficult and you'll be very gratified by a pattern you complete that is written correctly.

McKnitty
06-24-2008, 10:58 AM
One thing that is very important to do with any lace knitting is to use a lifeline. Lace knitting is tedious and often a complicated. The last thing you want to do is have to frog (rip back) because it's almost impossible to tell what row you are on. Enter the lifeline..a lifeline is a strand of yarn, unwaxed dental floss or whatever that goes through a specific row of your choosing (make note on your pattern) so when you have to rip back you know EXACTLY where you are in the pattern.

I agree! I think the lifeline is THE most important tool to use when knitting lace. I just finished a lace project that was more difficult than I have done previously. I started completely over three times before I finally decided to use a lifeline. I could have saved myself so much time if I had used a lifeline earlier.

The lace pattern repeated every 6 rows, so I put in a lifeline after completing the 6th row. I only had to frog one time and then it was only 6 rows (to the lifeline) as opposed to starting completely over!

SBG
06-24-2008, 12:10 PM
The woman who wrote the pattern is fixing it :)

I'm gonna go watch the lifeline video right now!

Cynamar
06-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I haven't knit any lace yet but I want to learn. I did get MIsty Alpaca lace-weight for a buck each at my LYS a few weeks ago so when I do learn I will have something nice to use!

blueygh2
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't exactly like lace weight, especially with big needles.

Seems so wrong, and it slips so easily through my fingers, I have to wind it 3 times around pinky to get some tension.

suzeeq
06-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Lace weight shouldn't be knit with a tight tension, but it does take some getting used to if you're used to worsted weight.