PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Yarn Weight For Socks?

Arielluria
06-24-2008, 09:45 AM
So far my favorite sock yarn weight has been GGH's "sport" Weight with which I made these:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1031/1262073988_96aaa3a60d.jpg
Ravelry has this listed as "sport" weight, but yarndex.com as DK. I got this yarn from my secret pal exchange here on KH last year and it's STILL my favorite so far!

I've enjoyed knitting socks with DK/sport weight much more than with Knit Picks' Essentials which yarndex calls a fingering weight.

knitgal
06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
I almost always use fingering weight, I've never actually hear of anyone using laceweight- do people do that?

Arielluria
06-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Don't know, it was a joke because considering how long it took me to make DHs socks in fingering weight, laceweight would take forEVER!:teehee:

Mike
06-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Worsted winter wool socks.

knitgal
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Don't know, it was a joke because considering how long it took me to make DHs socks in fingering weight, laceweight would take forEVER!:teehee:

I was going to say! I wouldn't be surprised if some people do knit socks in laceweight, but they must be much faster knitters than I am!

Arielluria
06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Worsted winter wool socks.Is that even thicker than DK?

Mike
06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Is that even thicker than DK?
I think DK is classed as a light worsted.

I've never used anything called DK to judge where it would fit for myself.

Cynamar
06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
I like sport-weight. It's just easier to handle. I would love to find sport-weight washable wool for socks.

Jan in CA
06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Hard question to answer for me. I find it easier to make heavier weight socks (sport, DK or worsted), but I couldn't possibly wear them. I have wide feet and even the fingering is somewhat iffy, but I don't think there's much chance I'll ever use lace weight. Eek!

Plantgoddess+
06-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I made a pair last month of KP Gossamer lace weight in colorway Sweetpea. It definitely takes longer, but I find them the most wearable of the 15 pair I've made this winter and spring. They are closer in weight to the store bought socks I wear pretty much year round. I definitely plan to make more laceweight socks. I got a pair from one skein and I think I have enough to make one more sock from what's left.
It's really not that bad to do. I didn't find it much worse than fingering weight on 2.25mm. It's nice to find a use for the 2mm dpns. I figure I better be doing it now before my eyes get too much worse. I can't see my stitches as it is.

Crycket
06-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I am addicted to fingering weight yarn...for most everything...I don't think I have used worsted for anything in a long while....

DK/Sport would be my next fave...but fingering weight lets me knit tiny bears too... for every pair of socks I have made...there is a matching bear!

becjo
06-25-2008, 08:26 AM
I like how fast sport weights work up - but they just dont feel as comfortable to me in the shoes. For a lounging sort of sock - yes - but for a sock to wear with shoes (there's a concept!) I like the fingering weight, for sure! And those take long enough - I cant even imagine lace weight - but bet they are beautiful!

feministmama
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Another sport weight fan here :waving: