PDA

View Full Version : Audiobooks

shortnsweetly
06-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only knitter who enjoys to listen to a good audiobook while knitting, but those books on CD are just so expensive. So I started going to the library to borrow the books on tape and CD, but it's not always easy to find the time to get there. Then I discovered the greatest thing ever. I can go to my local library website and download audiobooks for free! All I need is my library card number and I can download from a huge selection of audiobooks for absolutely no charge. I asked one of the librarians, and she said most public libraries in the country offer this service. This may be old news to some of you, but I just thought it was so neat I just had to share it!

Jeremy
06-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I've done the same thing. Its certainly a nice opportunity.

lactosefree
06-26-2008, 01:50 AM
I asked one of the librarians, and she said most public libraries in the country offer this service. This may be old news to some of you, but I just thought it was so neat I just had to share it!

I was so excited to read your posting! I love audio books, but can never justify buying one unless it's on clearance. I immediately went to my public library's website to check it out and it turns out they offer this service, but only for PC users!!! Argh! According to the FAQ, " Apple products do not currently support Digital Rights Management technology for libraries."

I :heart: my MAC, but I think for the first time ever I have PC user envy.

knitgal
06-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Have you tried Librivox (http://librivox.org/)? They don't have every book, but they have a good selection. I really enjoyed listening to Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen while knitting. I just wish I could learn to read and knit at the same time!

mare-nitt
06-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Thank you for this thread, I just got a ipod so I could listen to audio books while walking, but to listen while knitting is a great idea.
I really want to find Dr Zhivago on audio, haven't had any luck so far.
Never thought of the library. This forum is great!

kristaj
06-30-2008, 01:31 AM
OMG! I can't believe I never thought of audio books while knitting. I've missed my books (they're like old friends) since I've started knitting this winter, but I can't seem to put the knitting down to pick up a book. The most I've managed are magazines. I'll have to check out our library here. THANKS!

susi
06-30-2008, 07:10 AM
oph i've never thought of it either. wow will have to start doing that for sure.

i usually kniot whilst on the phone to dp, he lives in england i live in france so its everynight on the phone for 3+ hours. perfect knitting time :)

i will be downloading to my ipod for sure

thanks