PDA

View Full Version : does this happen to you

molovekayak
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I just had to take apart my whole hat on circular needles because I ended when I came back to knit knitting the wrong way on the needles. It messed up the whole thing and I couldn't fix it. I am so mad. Does this ever happen to any of you? How do you fix it? How do you remember what why you left off?

amy
06-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I know what you mean: you put it down and picked it up again backwards, right? Next time look for the needle that has the yarn attached to it--that needle ALWAYS goes in your right hand (unless you've got an empty needle you need to start knitting onto).

pat1934
06-28-2008, 05:41 PM
When you put it down and picked it back up, could it have gotten inside out? that happened to me.

WandaT
06-30-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't think it's happened to me while knitting in the round, but it certainly has knitting straight back and forth. I always try to complete a row before putting it away, but sometimes you have to stop in the middle for a short interruption. I am usually much more attentive when picking it back up now.

WynnieG
06-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Did this on a lace project. The yarn was fiddly, and I didn't notice the error until about ten inches on - six or seven pattern repeats I had to rip apart. It was a week's worth of work, gone, all because I'd had the panel turned the wrong way around.

Of course one swears when this happens to them, as I did, that it will "never, ever happen again" - but invariably it does, especially when we try to cram too much into our lives. My most spectacular mistakes in knitting always seem to occur when I have too much on my plate, and rush myself to get some knitting time in. :aww:

tokmom
06-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes, I think mine got turned inside out and I didn't pay attention until it was too late. Thankfully, I saved it.

vaknitter
06-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Can't say as though I've knit the wrong direction, but I've sure frogged my fair share of projects for a multitude of reasons. My hubby always says that for all the time I spent frogging things I could have knit them 3 times. :knitting:

dreamsherl
06-30-2008, 09:21 PM
When I was a beginning knitter, I did it a few times. My knitting teacher gave me the same advice that Amy posted.

suzeeq
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
My hubby always says that for all the time I spent frogging things I could have knit them 3 times.

Point out to him that you got 3 times more knitting time on the same amount of $$....

McKnitty
07-01-2008, 03:52 PM
One of the ladies at my LYS told me to put a safety pin (I use the colored plastic, coiless type) or some other type of 'marker' to mark the front of the work. That way if it somehow gets turned inside out, you'll know it right away.

This is wonderful because once I place the safety pin on the front of the work, I don't have to think about it again.