PDA

View Full Version : New Bernat yarns!

Jan in CA
06-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Have you seen these yet in person? I'm wondering how soft they are? I may just have to make a trip to Joanns and/or Michaels tomorrow!!

Cot'n Corn (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=cotncorn)
Baby Jacquards (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=babyjacquards)
Jr. Jacquards (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=jrjacquards)

knitgal
06-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Cute! I wonder if we have them in Canada yet?

kristaj
06-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I was just getting ready to leave for Hobby Lobby. I'll have to check. I'm really curious about the one that contains corn.

mks22300
06-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Those look nice!

heatherg23
06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I love Bernat but i've never seen them in Michaels or joanne. I wish stores would carry ALL their yarns but sometimes they just choose a few of them to put on the shelves.

tokmom
06-30-2008, 08:38 PM
very pretty.:)

sue in canada
06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
They are very pretty. I will look out for them.

Jan in CA
06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
I love Bernat but i've never seen them in Michaels or joanne. I wish stores would carry ALL their yarns but sometimes they just choose a few of them to put on the shelves.

Really? :?? Those two stores are the only place I've seen them.

suzeeq
06-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Yes, they have most of Bernat's yarn. HL has only a few, some of the glitzy stuff and baby yarns, but more recently have added the Alpaca and Felting yarn. Hopefully they're going to get more of the line in because there's no Joann's in my state, though Michael's opened a store about 180 miles from me....

Debkcs
07-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Sue, I remember how frustrated I was trying to find ANYTHING in Wyoming. We lived in Cody . . . had to travel to Colorado for decent yarn.

Aren't you happy for internet ordering?

suzeeq
07-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Well there is a yarn store in Cody now, though she doesn't stock a great deal, so that's something. There are 2 nice ones here, though I get most of my yarn at Hobby Lobby and can find some amazing stuff at the thrift store sometimes.

Denise in Michigan
07-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Ooh, Jan, those are lovely! They'd make great machine-washable and -dryable summer sweaters. (Do we have a word that means "summer sweaters" that doesn't sound so warm? Maybe just "summer tops"?)

Jan in CA
07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Ooh, Jan, those are lovely! They'd make great machine-washable and -dryable summer sweaters. (Do we have a word that means "summer sweaters" that doesn't sound so warm? Maybe just "summer tops"?)

I don't know how they'd "stripe up" for an adult sweater, but for a kids they'd be adorable!

I define sweater as one one with longer arms and a top as shorter or sleeveless, but that may be my own weird idea. I am making a 'summer top' right now. :teehee:

Denise in Michigan
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Yes, they have most of Bernat's yarn. HL has only a few, some of the glitzy stuff and baby yarns, but more recently have added the Alpaca and Felting yarn. Hopefully they're going to get more of the line in because there's no Joann's in my state, though Michael's opened a store about 180 miles from me....
Suzeeq, I used to work for a media company that shipped all over the US. Wyoming was the hardest place to distribute product. I recall we used mainly one company because they were the only one who could get things where we needed them to be. I thing they were called Yellow Freight. Bless 'em!

Denise in Michigan
07-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I don't know how they'd "stripe up" for an adult sweater, but for a kids they'd be adorable!

I define sweater as one one with longer arms and a top as shorter or sleeveless, but that may be my own weird idea. I am making a 'summer top' right now. :teehee:
I'm making a summer top right now, too! Top-down raglan with short sleeves, knit in the round because I wanted a fun, easy, quick knit.
That's true about the striping. I wonder how cumbersome it would be to use two skeins at a time, using the color changes in the same order in each skein to make the stripes wider? Anyone out there ever do this? Rats, I can't think of any way to avoid a zillion ends...I don't think I could carry the yarn over several rounds because the changes would begin and end at different points.

suzeeq
07-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Yellow freight is pretty common throughout the west and they go all over the country too. There's 3 interstates that go through the state though, usually the traffic is on their way to someone else. I think the lack of stores/products is because we have such a low population - the whole state has only half a million people, probably less. The economy is booming though because it's a huge fuel producing area - coal, natural gas and others.

Jan in CA
07-01-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm making a summer top right now, too! Top-down raglan with short sleeves, knit in the round because I wanted a fun, easy, quick knit.

I'm making a bottom up raglan with short sleeves! :teehee:

That's true about the striping. I wonder how cumbersome it would be to use two skeins at a time, using the color changes in the same order in each skein to make the stripes wider?

There's no guarantee that each skein is exactly the same either so I think it would be a wasted effort. :shrug:

khaosx5
07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm sure that Mary Maxim will be carrying those yarns very soon!
:knitting:

gotta knit
07-02-2008, 05:07 PM

I saw Baby Jacquards at Len Mill's Store (Ontario).
It's nice & soft, but the colour blends didn't thrill me for the baby blanket I need to make. I ended up buying Bernat 'Softee Baby' in Antique White.

Lisa R.
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Well, I was a bit disappointed...Drove by my Michael's and my Jo-Anne and neither one had the new ones!! :(

Oh well...maybe soon??

Dangles
07-03-2008, 12:18 AM

try Zellers??

carlyd
07-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I printed out the Bernat Baby Jacquards Kimono Sweater from their web site and have been looking for the yarn ever since.

The Michaels by my house (Sacramento, CA) says they're not going to carry it, so I'm hoping to find it somewhere else.

Sajomaro
07-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Bernat is one of the few (along with Patons) yarn manufacturer that will actually give you a detailed list of what stores carry what yarns. Most manufacturers just tell you what chains carry any of their yarns. With Bernat you can do a search to find out if a particular yarn is sold at a particular store.
This (http://www.bernat.com/store.php?LGC=cotncorn) is the direct link.

Or if you are viewing a yarn on Bernat's website there is a link "Where can I buy this yarn?" above the colour samples. There is also a "Buy Online" button that will give you a list of e-tailers that sell that particular yarn.

I've tried searching for the three new yarns but haven't gotten any results. Although they appear to be available online through Jo-ann.com. My guess is that they haven't made it to the stores yet.

jcurry28
07-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Have you seen these yet in person? I'm wondering how soft they are? I may just have to make a trip to Joanns and/or Michaels tomorrow!!

Cot'n Corn (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=cotncorn)
Baby Jacquards (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=babyjacquards)
Jr. Jacquards (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=jrjacquards)
I've seen the Cot'n Corn at Joanns and it feels wonderful. It seems very strong. I haven't tried it or anything but I would like to try it in the future especially the Jr. Jac

carlyd
07-20-2008, 02:32 AM
I finally saw the Baby Jacquards at JoAnns and got some of the blue and "easter surprise". Then I got home and saw a project page for a Breast Cancer Awareness scarf using the pink jacquard and it was just darling.

Tropicflower24
07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Hmm.... I seem to recall seeing one or so of these at walmart awhile back...... I just got 2 skeins of Softee for my mom's socks tho.

Jan in CA
07-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I finally one single colorway at a Michaels so I got a couple skeins. Not sure what I'm going to do quite yet though.

Krystal
07-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Those look great. I am really interested in the Cot' N Corn... except the colours look almost exactly the same as Bernat Soy... One reason I don't buy that yarn so much, is because the colours are SO limited. I only liked the blue shade.. (same as the Cot N Corn blue)

I hope they expand some new colours into the new yarns.