PDA

View Full Version : WIP: A Knitting Nightmare strikes Artlady!

ArtLady1981
06-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, you read it right! DISASTER! Fixable, but a disaster nonetheless!

I cast on for a jacket cardigan for my brother on June 15th. I am knitting away on the BACK...mostly on vacation in the wilderness last week...and I am 130 rows into the BACK...yeah that's right: 16,380 stitches worth!

I am almost done with the BACK...when I look, really LOOK at it!
"Hmmmm...this seems too wide!" I think to myself. I take out my trusty tape measure....SURE ENOUGH...the BACK is 2" too wide!

Well, this means that the jacket will be 52" around...the pattern should be only 48" for my brother's little 43" chest. He doesn't like the BIG SLOPPY look!

Why o why is my gauge so way OFF? I had dutifully knit my 4"x4" gauge swatch!
It was Perfect! So what is the matter???? :??

I won't bore you with the suspense! Here is the answer: I got perfect gauge with a US9. However, in knitting with the TWEED yarn on a pattern stitch of k1p1 on the public side/purl across the row on the reverse side...it was a "hard knit". Meaning to say, you really have to work your hands and your stitches to make the tweed yarn stitches back and forth, knit 1 then purl 1. So my hands began to hurt. I remember them hurting. So I loosened up my stitches (not on purpose, just subconsciously) and knit along my merry way!

Well, that was enough to throw off the middle to upper regions of the BACK by two whole inches.

Yes, you guessed it. I swatched and re-swatched and came up with a solution for the re-knit: reduce to a US 8 needle...and reduce the stitches on the needle by 6, from 126 st to 120 st.

Well, it worked...and I am almost done with my re-knit! Yes folks...an entire re-knit pluse several swatches! I tinkered around with a new stitch pattern...but in the end, I liked the broken rib best. (read POST 21 on PG 3 for my frogging method! You'll like it!)

Anyhoo, that is not the only dilemma I've encountered. My brother left me a message, saying that he doesn't like a jacket to be more than 25" in length.

Well, this 'pattern' I've loosely been following will look like a
ladies' cropped jacket if I shorten it, as is, to 25" from the 30" recommended. The 30" looks best with the Front lapel shawl collar "look".

So, I perused through my knitting books and found a vest (same guage) with the right 'look' for a shorter men's jacket. Instead of a shawl collar, it has a sporty v-neck and collar combination. It will work!

Stay tuned. I refuse to begin any other project til this one is finished! It is a boring knit...so 'the problems' have jazzed things up! :eyes: Oh yeah, and this too: the pattern called for mohair, and he doesn't like fuzzy. (A guy thing) Which is why the original pattern stitch (twisted rib) didn't work with the darn Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed. He wanted a charcoal tweed...and lo behold...I had 10 skeins of it in my stash! MY STASH! All I had to buy were the black leather buttons!

It won't end up looking like the original VOGUE pattern at all.
It will be my own RICK RYAN JACKET! ;)

My hands still hurt! Is it age? :?? Or just too much knitting?

bambi
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Now THAT is a load of work! But sounds like it will work out perfectly. When you get done, be sure to post a picture. I'm quite sure I would never have known what to do.

Bambi

scout52
06-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Good thing he's your brother! and you love him enough to finish it.

Doodknitwit
06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
not age but overworking the hands and :X: joints :frog:

:eyes:

Alyce
07-01-2008, 01:17 AM
I can't believe you can figure these things out. I would be so lost. I am such a slow knitter anyway I don't think I would ever finish such a project. Good luck. I bet your brother loves it.

ArtLady1981
07-01-2008, 02:09 AM
He better love it! Whilst finishing up the BACK...I am thinking about running a simple cable up the sleeves...from cuff to shoulder seam...just to give it some pizazz. Otherwise, the entire thing is a field of broken rib on charcoal tweed. Yawn. I think a lengthwise sleeve cable will look sporty, don't you?

Karina
07-01-2008, 03:08 AM
I think you have the patience of a saint. I like the cable idea. cant wait to see it.

WandaT
07-01-2008, 06:51 AM
It does my heart good to know these things happen to such an expert knitter. When it happens to me I just assume I'm a dweeb. LOL Glad you had the brains to figure it out and the patience to fix it though. I'm sure it will be amazing just like everything else you make!!

mwhite
07-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Leave it to you to make lemonade outa lemons! Can't wait to see your new design!

Knit4Fun
07-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Sheesh...sorry to hear you've had to go through all that but at least your brother didn't call and say that he changed his mind and really wants a wider sweater than you'd originally planned...THAT would make me pull my hair out (and his)! :-)

The.Knitter
07-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Gracious me, you are so far out of my league I can't even comment on all the changes. I still have a gorgeous aran knit sweater OTN (back finished, front almost done, sleeves yet to do) for the last six years because I can't figure out the top of the front. You are a much better person than I am. I shoved it in a box and there it sits!

Post a picture when you are done. I am looking forward to seeing the FO.

GirlChris
07-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Holy knitting fiasco Batman! It breaks my heart to think of you actually having to start over. I couldn't have done it. I would probably have either given it to him too big or thought of another person to give it to. :aww: All that work. I am so glad it is turning out now though and that you were able to not only fix the sizing issue but come up with some ways to really make it personal and what your brother wants. He sounds a lot like my kids when it is time to make their Bday cakes and they are very particular (too many Ace of Cakes episodes LOL) DH says "you know you can tell then no and buy a sheet cake" but I am like you, I just want them to be really happy with it and for it to be what they want. I know your brother will be thrilled with the final product because you have gone to such effort to make it just what he wants. I can't wait to seet he FO, but not so much that I want you hurting yourself so maybe slow down a bit! LOL

Debkcs
07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
It does my heart good to know these things happen to such an expert knit

Hate to admit it, but when I read about you having problems like this it gives me hope that I will someday be a decent knitter!

I'm sure that, when done, it will be a masterpiece, as usual.

Ginnyb
07-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Artlady, whatever you knit is always gorgeous, so I am sure this will be too. You amaze me, I would never be able to fix a mistake that way.

Ginny

MerigoldinWA
07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
So did you start all over on the vest or are you just using the vest to help you with the neck?

Your saga sounds like what I go through all the time. I've about given up on gauge swatches, when I do the actual item I don't get gauge anyway. Lately on several things my item has become my gauge swatch. Oh, I still wasted my time on the actual swatch but I might as well of saved that exercise.

For all that men say about how they don't care about clothes, it is totally untrue, they are way pickier than women. LOL (Maybe your brother didn't say that about himself, just my generalization.)

Jan in CA
07-01-2008, 02:32 PM
All I can say is.....:passedout:

Maybe that is why I'm not a better knitter... I'm not fearless and I find ripping back discouraging. Maybe someday. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
07-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Sheesh...sorry to hear you've had to go through all that but at least your brother didn't call and say that he changed his mind and really wants a wider sweater than you'd originally planned...THAT would make me pull my hair out (and his)! :-)

:roflhard: I'm counting my blessings and keeping my fingers crossed!

ArtLady1981
07-01-2008, 02:45 PM
So did you start all over on the vest or are you just using the vest to help you with the neck?

Your saga sounds like what I go through all the time. I've about given up on gauge swatches, when I do the actual item I don't get gauge anyway. Lately on several things my item has become my gauge swatch. Oh, I still wasted my time on the actual swatch but I might as well of saved that exercise.

For all that men say about how they don't care about clothes, it is totally untrue, they are way pickier than women. LOL (Maybe your brother didn't say that about himself, just my generalization.)

Yeah, I'm using the vest pattern I found in a book to redesign the neckline treatment for the FRONTS. The original design asks for a shawl collar knit separately with the buttonhole ribbing in two pieces, left and right...double width and then folded over and attached to the left and right edges. I'd have to put double buttonholes so that when you fold the it over you can still put a button through. You'd have to handstitch the buttonhole to its underneathe counterpart. Interesting concept.

Anyhoo, this shawl collar treatment will look dorky on a short jacket. Too formal and dressy for a short jacket. It would look great for a woman's cropped jacket. Not a man's.

A short jacket, appearing 'boxy', is definitely a sporty design on a man. So I think the neckline treatment needs to be more casual and sporty. The vest pattern I found is perfect.

I'm swatching now, playing around with that cable for the sleeves.
The sleeves are the broken rib pattern, but you have to couch the cable with rev st st. I am just wondering how many rev st st to place on either side of the cable. And, should I start the cable within the cuff...or above the cuff...and if above the cuff...I would need to increase a few stitches on the last row of the ribbing to allow for the cable (they draw in the fabric) so the sleeve isn't too tight.

Anyhoo, it is making a dreadfully boring project more interesting. :eyes:

Your post tickled me! I needed a good chuckle this morning! :teehee:
Thanks, Sister!

ArtLady1981
07-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Holy knitting fiasco Batman! It breaks my heart to think of you actually having to start over. I couldn't have done it. I would probably have either given it to him too big or thought of another person to give it to. :aww: All that work. I am so glad it is turning out now though and that you were able to not only fix the sizing issue but come up with some ways to really make it personal and what your brother wants. He sounds a lot like my kids when it is time to make their Bday cakes and they are very particular (too many Ace of Cakes episodes LOL) DH says "you know you can tell then no and buy a sheet cake" but I am like you, I just want them to be really happy with it and for it to be what they want. I know your brother will be thrilled with the final product because you have gone to such effort to make it just what he wants. I can't wait to seet he FO, but not so much that I want you hurting yourself so maybe slow down a bit! LOL

I'll take a photo of him wearing it, and post it in my FO thread!
It will be called THE RICK RYAN JACKET! :eyebrow:

MerigoldinWA
07-01-2008, 02:51 PM
We would like to see a picture of the two things you are trying to combine if that is possible ArtLady. You are really getting into designing more all the time. It is rewarding work, though hard on the gray matter.

ArtLady1981
07-01-2008, 03:04 PM
BTW, I should mention...this is what I do when I have to basically tear out the whole shebang. Well, first off...here is what I DO NOT DO: I do NOT pull it all out and wind it into a 4 skein gigantic ball.

I just fold it in half widthwise, then fold it over again widthwise...so that the live row of stitches is visible at one lengthwise edge...then I take and roll the whole thing up like a cinnamon roll log...tie a piece of yarn around its waist to hold the thing together...place it into a silk drawstring bag with the live end sticking out the top...and begin my new cast on row!

I essentially FROG the sweater AS I KNIT THE NEW SWEATER...pulling out a few rows at a time as I need yardage for the new knit.

This prevents unnecessary handling of the yarn. I will be handling it only twice...once for the original knit, and once for the new knit.
The winding of it into a gigantic ball before re-knitting is unnecessary strain on the yarn. Some yarns aren't forgiving of too much handling. And then, why go through the frogging-winding process when you don't need to? :shrug:

As you can tell, I've been down this road a few times. Once for my granddaughter's Springtime Coats...and another time for my GROVE mid-calf coat (yes, you read it right!)...and now for this RICK RYAN JACKET. I mean, all three were major re-knits.
I had to re-knit my GROVE back from about 20 inches into it (gauge issues due to my using MALABRIGO instead of Silky Flamme). It would have been too small if I had left it go on.

So, Merigold is right! You can swatch...but sometimes the real knitting exposes a flaw in your gauge swatch. That's why a minimum 4"x4" gauge swatch is essential...however, that said...as I have painfully been made aware...the real knitting of a garment is the true gauge swatch!

I gave serious thought to making the RICK RYAN JACKET into a DOLLYCE BEEMAN SWEATER (I like sloppy sweaters with jeans, etc)...but I already had my heart set on using this yarn for him. :heart: It had his name written all over it!

Now I am also thinking about making something for her dear wife, too. She is not a clothes hound...but she has commented on how much she liked my red NORO Iro hooded jacket when we went out for dinner. So, maybe I will make one for her, too...in another IRO color. Maybe a fuchsia. Or greens/blues/teals! I have 20 skeins of Silk Garden in color 72 (blues/greens/teals/blacks/greys) If I hold two strands together, maybe that will give me the IRO gauge for this hooded jacket. Hmmm.

This is the set I was wearing. We went to APPLEBY'S. Casual dining.
This is IRO, in color 9.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2311/1805770269_83e66ca199.jpg?v=0

This is lighter weight yarn: Silk Garden in color 9.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/1805770937_1b9c5d4607.jpg?v=0

McKnitty
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I essentially FROG the sweater AS I KNIT THE NEW SWEATER...pulling out a few rows at a time as I need yardage for the new knit.

Oh my, you are brilliant. I never really thought about the yarn being handled too much. I love that it is one less step to do, saves time and wear and tear on your hands as well as the yarn.

ArtLady1981
07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Merigold!

Here is the photo of the ORIGINAL man's jacket, with the shawl collar and 30" total length:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2585888746_7837aa2175.jpg?v=0

Here is the photo of my proposal for a newly designed FRONTS
for the jacket, as the cropped 25" jacket:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2629668348_3acac61878.jpg?v=0

Although this vest is clearly buttoned the LADIES way, I think it will double nicely for a man's jacket. It looks good with a cropped length.
I will make 2x2 rib (to match the cuffs, etc) for the button bands, of
course. And I'm unsure of the pocket treatment. Whaddya think about pockets? Yes or no?

The shawl collar jacket clearly needs the 30" length to carry it off.

ArtLady1981
07-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Here are some photos showing how I "frog" and re-knit an undesirable knitted piece!

As said earlier, I lay out the bad piece, fold it in half widthwise, then fold that widthwise again. Then I roll it all up like a cinnamon roll log!

Here it is from the side, secured snugly with a piece of yarn:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2629572937_993d449b29.jpg?v=0

Here it is from the 'live stitches' end:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2629573013_e6e90393b1.jpg?v=0

Now, I insert it into a small silk bag that cinches closed at the top.
This keeps the yarn under control, and I can yank out yardage as I need it with no problem!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2630392734_fc7e4627b8.jpg?v=0

Now I am ready to cast on (re-cast-on) and re-knit the project!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/2629573271_ed572e8568.jpg?v=0

Hope this helps someone through the process on a HUGE FROGGING endeavor! I like it best because I am eliminating the step of rolling all 4 skeins into a big humongous ball! It also eliminates stressful handling of the yarn. Many yarns do not tolerate excess handling....knitting, frogging, re-winding and re-knitting. They begin to look sad and tired.

This process is best when you plan to immediately re-knit the piece. If you are going to wait for months, or years, it is best to roll it into a big ball so that the kinks are not so permanently 'set' into the yarn.

FYI: this Silk Garden knitted piece has been in my WIP bag for a year I think! I just didn't like how the colors were distributing, and couldn't decide if I should proceed! Today, I found a re-purpose for the 20 skeins of yarn, several of which are knitted into this bottom BACK piece!
A dbl stranded jacket for my brother's wife! I think the Silk Garden will look tweedier with dbl strands! Two strands held together and knitted st st with a US 11 renders a perfect 12st=4"! I also have some charcoal grey Lamb's Pride I can salt into it as well! I may drop one of the Silk Garden strands, and substitute the charcoal grey...then drop it, and pick up 2 of the Silk Garden again. I will use it to spice up the endless olive green spans of color!

Jan in CA
07-02-2008, 01:22 AM

That is a fabulous and absolutely brilliant idea! It's so cool you should patent it! :yay: :teehee:

Got any hints for something that was double stranded and needs to be frogged? :shifty:

MerigoldinWA
07-02-2008, 01:48 AM
ArtLady, I was going to comment about the first post you did explaining only with words what you do to frog a whole piece, "You what???" :?? I was going to request pictures, but you knew those of us like me are out here and need to see what you are talking about so you beat me to it. :hug: Thanks so much. I need to show those to my DH so he can help me figure out how you folded it. That is such a great idea. How come I never thought of it? :lol:

I'm not sure about pockets on DB's sweater. Does he like pockets? Some people can't live without them, to others they are only decoration. If he uses pockets a lot one/they might be appreciated.

Jan, I think ArtLady's cinnamon roll would work just as well with two strands as with one. If I was going to rewind a sweater made of two strands I would make them into one ball like it was a plied yarn. This would be the same thing only leaving out the rewinding. ArtLady's idea would give you your two strands evenly doled out and no chance to get tangled up. I think I'd try it.

ArtLady1981
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Jan!

If something was dbl stranded, and the whole piece needs to re-done...I would do the same thing. Fold it in half widthwise, fold it again widthwise...then roll it up in the cinnamon roll log...and begin the re-knit from the live stitches left behind when you pulled out your knitting needles.

Now, if you mean you DON'T want to re-knit...but FROG and STORE the two separate yarns for future use on separate projects...that is a horse of another color!

I dunno about that one. :?? I guess the easy way would be to make the cinnamon roll log with the dbl stranded garment piece...put it into a silk bag...and pull out yardage as you go along...knitting only one of the strands as you go...and rolling the other strand into a ball as you go. Like they are 'parting ways'...one is going on to be knit...the other is going on into a ball.

ArtLady1981
07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
...so he can help me figure out how you folded it...

Did you figure it out?

Here is a word picture:

Lay the garment piece in your lap...with the bottom edge ribbing closest to your tummy...and with the live stitches closest to your knees. The sides of the garment are running along your thighs. Got that mental picture?

THEN, take the ribbing and fold it over to meet the live stitches at the top. THEN, take the new folded edge and fold it over to meet the live stitches at the top. THEN, take this long, folded-up piece of pasta...and turn it around on your lap so you can begin to roll it up into your cinnamon roll log. THEN, tie it around its waist! VOILA!

Here is a photo of the bottommost of the cinnamon roll:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/2630827055_446582db45.jpg?v=0

And this is the 'LIVE END':
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2629573013_e6e90393b1.jpg?v=0

ABOUT THE POCKETS:

No I doubt he'd use pockets on a cropped jacket. The pockets would be too high up, above the waist. The longer VOGUE version of the sweater has inset pockets, but these pockets would be sitting below the waist, where you could keep your hands warm.

The pockets in a cropped jacket are ornamental, IMO. The pocket on that vest is useless and non-functional. Just 'for looks'.

Thanks for your input!

I swatched and swatched for that dbl stranded NORO Silk Garden last night...even cast on 156 stitches for Ethel's cardigan (knit in one piece to the yoke)...and knit about 6 or 8 rows...and measured the stitch gauge (!)...I do learn from mistakes believe it or not!....and the gauge was off. The 12st=4" had disappeared...and the true gauge was 13st=4". (the 12 st were coming in at 3.75") Meaning...her 52" width was only 48". SIGH. Ethel is busty...and I need the 52"!

Well, going to yet another needle size up...from the US11 to a US13 is not an option. The US11 was already creating a loosish stitch that I was hoping blocking would "bloom it" (full it) to look better!

So off to the frog pond I go! In this case, I just cut the yarn...wound the 6 rows into a dbl stranded ball for future use. Silk Garden takes to a felted join so wonderfully...I won't have a problem re-connecting it to another project. And if I decide to re-knit it in single strand, I will do what I mentioned to Jan: I'll put the ball into a silk bag, pull out the dbl strand end...and just knit off the one strand, and wind the other strand into a ball. When I get to the end of the dbl strand ball, I'll felt the ends together and keep knitting off the single strand ball.

I made a swatch for my brother's cabled sleeve detail...and found a good look. I couched a 3x3 cable with 2 rev st st...and made sure that a "knit" stitch (of the broken rib pattern) meets each side of the rev st st "ditch"...and the result is great. I crossed the 3x3 cable on row 3...and will cross it every 6th row. It is a nice ropey looking cable. Sporty!

I decided to begin the cable AFTER the 3" cuff, so that he can roll up his cuffs if necessary.

I'll increase 4 stitches on my foundation row (just above cuff ribbing)...then on the next row, I'll set up the broken rib pattern and the 10st cable section.

Guess I'm counting chickens before they hatch, eh? I haven't even finished the BACK! I needed a side-trip anyways! :teehee:

MerigoldinWA
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
ArtLady,

That will definitely help. DH looked for a minute at all you have been showing on this thread, but his head is elsewhere. He is not good at doing more than one thing at a time and right now he is making decorations for Vacation Bible School at our church. We were in charge of all of VBS for 4 years but declined to do it last year. This year another lady is leading out and doing everything with only a couple of months to prepare. (He likes to have a year.) He does the most wonderful things, but this year he is stressed out because he has big ideas and little time to do them. He is only doing the sanctuary not the foyer, stairway and halls like he usually does. Next week is set up week and the 14th-18th will be VBS and then DH will need a vacation himself. He told me this morning he was feeling exhausted and his head was spinning with all he still needs to do.

So Ethel is Rick's wife and you are already planning a sweater for her? You are amazingly prolific with your knitting. Creativity can really be a taskmaster can't it? :-)

ArtLady1981
07-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes, Ethel is Rick's wife! Here is a photo of them! She is a SAINT. My brother is adorable, lovable and sweet...and highly motivated and a perfectionist and a workaholic...and it takes a special sweet soul like Ethel to survive that kind of energy for over 38 years! :teehee: They have 4 children and 2 grandchildren!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/2631550189_f56071366a.jpg?v=0

This is Bree (their oldest daughter), me and Rick. Bree was home for a visit that week! She lives in Hollywood with her 2 sisters.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2632379608_2a04ec75c5.jpg?v=0

This is Rick and their other daughter, Jaime!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2632373446_dd4a3c14e4.jpg?v=0

Sewing Angel
07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
You have such a lovely family! I'm not surprised though!
Your jacket ordeal is just amazing. I have learned so much about knitting from reading your posts. The way you frog a large project is an awesome way to handle an unpleasant task. Thanks for sharing your ups and downs with us.
Angel

ArtLady1981
07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Ah, thanks Angel! :aww: Your kind words made my day! :hug:

ArtLady1981
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi Merigold!

I found a pocket treatment that will work for a man's short sporty jacket! It was in Nancie Wiseman's VEST book!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/2640001301_a5d5e74a74.jpg?v=0

Notice, the pocket runs all the way in from the garter ribbing to the zipper's garter band! I really like it!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2640827886_aefc7087c6.jpg?v=0

lynn893
07-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Thank you for the great frogging advice.
I can't wait to see the finished product!:thumbsup:

Debkcs
07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Dollyce, I just read your posts about frogging, and I want to thank you for posting it all. I cast on a top down sweater for Kate, just to realize last night that I hate the way the yarn over increases look. A little girl does not need large-ish holes in a sweater. I'll use the other method in the book. But, as I am using Magic Buttons, I was worried about handling the yarn, it splits on second use I'm told. Maybe your 'cinnamon roll' method will help out, anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out later today,and I've never looked forward to starting a project over before!

I do think I'll start the collar with a new skein, and save the used for the body of the sweater.

Thank you so much!!!

MerigoldinWA
07-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, that pocket should work nicely. I tnink it is Nancie Wiseman who wrote a book about finishing that I really like.

Your brother is a handsome guy and his daughters beautiful. The daughter in the picture with her dad looks very much like him. It looks like Ethel contributed plenty of good genes too. :-) So Rick has 3 girls and 1 son, is that right?

I think your posts about the cinnamon roll should be put where more people will see them. Maybe general knitting or how-to folders. Not everyone reads all the posts in Whatcha Knittin and may be missing this wonderful idea. What do you think?

Debkcs
07-06-2008, 01:16 PM
In my admiration for your cinnamon roll brilliance, and thankfulness for making my life easier, I forgot to add what a nice looking family you have. Your brother is a really handsome guy! I'm sure he'll like the vest, the color will suit him well.

Knitting_Guy
07-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I just fold it in half widthwise, then fold it over again widthwise...so that the live row of stitches is visible at one lengthwise edge...then I take and roll the whole thing up like a cinnamon roll log...tie a piece of yarn around its waist to hold the thing together...place it into a silk drawstring bag with the live end sticking out the top...and begin my new cast on row!

Very clever, I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Wanda Witch
07-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Your frogging method is that of a genius. This is definitely a keeper idea for the future here. I would also like to add what a handsome family you have.

Shewhoknits
07-08-2008, 12:49 PM
You need a big :cheering: for not frogging the whole thing and hiding it in a back closet. I love knitting with Silkroad Aran Tweed and am just finishing a sweater in it.

That brother of your better appreciate you!!!;)

Tropicflower24
07-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Good thing he's your brother! and you love him enough to finish it.

No kidding!!

You all look Italian..... We think my dad is part Italian, but we can't really find out. Beautiful family!

ArtLady1981
07-08-2008, 07:42 PM
He appreciates me so much I'm surprised Ethel, his dear wife, doesn't hate me!

I am done with my newly designed LEFT FRONT! Yay!

I shortened the jacket by 5", added different pockets, and changed the neckline COMPLETELY to accommodate the new sportier, shorter length.

I knit the LEFT FRONT pocket region TWICE, and knit the LEFT FRONT neckline region 3 times before everything 'gelled'...or is it 'jelled'? ;)

dustinac
07-10-2008, 09:04 AM
:woohoo: If anyone can figure this stuff out it's you!! I can't wait to see it

ArtLady1981
07-11-2008, 02:02 AM
The BACK is done blocking...and the FRONTS will go on the blocking board in the morning!

Here is a photo of them:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3122/2657230723_4f22ae276f.jpg?v=0

The pocket is about 5.5" tall, and the inside of the pocket runs horizontally all the way over to the front edges, to which the 2x2 ribbing still needs to be picked up and knit for 3".

I guess I need to do that before picking up stitches for the standup collar (shown below on the VOGUE cape.) I dunno. If I install the 2x2 FRONT edge ribbing first...the collar will pick up stitches over the top row of the 2x2 vertical body ribbing. But, if I seam the shoulders first, then pick up and knit the collar.....then the next step... the 2x2 vertical body ribbing... will pick up stitches along the edge of the collar. Hmmm. What to do. What to do. Both will present a nice look...but which do I want? :??
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2657230795_d5c6ce5aff.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/2658056786_e277de7009.jpg?v=0
The blocking process evened out the stitches for the BACK. They are not quite so lumpy.

I scrapped my other plan for a short V-neck...and went with a rounded neckline, to which I can add this type of collar. It stands up, and I might knit enough length so that I can fold it over to the inside. Or, maybe not. Will decide later.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2652668949_ebe3504276.jpg?v=0

I wrote out my 2 pages of SLEEVES instructions tonight, and was planning on casting on for them...now I may have to delay that and knit on the 2x2 ribbing for the FRONTS. Gah. :eyes: This means I must make a decision. :hair:

MerigoldinWA
07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
I like the way your pockets turned out. I wasn't crazy about the garter stitch lines they had on the vest that made all the little squares everywhere. Without them you get the pocket without all the squares.

You are making a lot of progress. I had it all pictured with the other collar and am having trouble changing over. :-) I may like the first one better. I hope this one will be just what you want. I'm trying to picture a he-man head coming out of the top of the poncho. LOL Maybe that is my problem. :-)

On the poncho they did the band and then the collar, as I'm sure you know. Are you planning to make the collar that tall? I don't know which way it would look better--bands or collar first. Like you said, decisions, decisions. But that makes it fun, huh? You are really designing this sweater yourself. It will truly be the Rick Ryan Sweater.

The yarn is lovely.

ArtLady1981
07-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Hi Judy!

I wrote up a lengthy response to your questions this morning...complete with photos and all...and then I boo-booed and click a link from this link...and my entire post went out into cyberspace! GONE!

I couldn't re-write it then...had to go on a major shopping and errands. So here I am at 2 am!

I changed the collar a bit, so that the jacket would resemble a BOMBER JACKET, or FLIGHT JACKET.

I GOOGLED the word bomber jacket, and here are a couple photos:
http://www.uswings.com/images/SSGoatA2Mil_catalog.jpg

http://www.uswings.com/images/ta2_header.jpg

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_902660_imageset_01?$main-Large$

Then I found this bomber jacket sweater at YARN FORWARD!
http://www.yarnforward.com/pics/bomber.jpg

It is a free pattern, so I might loosely follow the directions for the collar. I already have the neckline shaping right, and the buttonbands.

Yes, I agree with you...the collar for the CAPE is way too tall for a guy.

If I make the bomber jacket collar a little shorter, it will stand up. i may try both looks.

Well, I better run! I gotta be up earlier than usual tomorrow.

We are leaving at 4 am Sunday. We gotta beat the heat through "Death Valley" (OMAK!). The back of our truck isn't air-conditioned, so we have to plan the timing so we are passing through Death Valley by about 9-10am. (our dogs really died in the heat in the back of the truck when we came back from Republic two weeks ago! we have a canopy, but it doesn't help much)

We'll be back Sunday July 20th. We will break camp and be on the road by 4 am, home by 10-11 am. Beat the Heat. Gotta do it for the dawgs!

:muah:

BobbiKnits
07-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Or just too much knitting?
There's no such thing!

ArtLady1981
07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
The BACK, LEFT & RIGHT FRONTS, buttonbands & 1 SLEEVE is done.
And I am short on yarn! I need 3 skeins for SLEEVE #2...and I only have 1.5!

Can you believe it!???? :hair:

Well, elann.com doesn't carry my yarn anymore. I emailed them and asked them if, by chance, they had anymore. They did respond within the hour. "No"

So, I am off to order 3 skeins of JO SHARP Silkroad DK Tweed in color 409 Night...and will PRAY that the dyelots are not too far off.

Otherwise, I will be forced to re-knit SLEEVE #1 and knit SLEEVE #2...alternating skeins (dyelots) every 2nd row! AAARGH! :hair:

If that doesn't even work out...my husband said he wants the sweater himself! Isn't that the funniest thing??? My non-sweater-wearing husband has fallen in love with my brother's sweater!!! All the times I have made him stand still for a fitting for me...so's I could see how this or that would work for a man's body...my DH has fallen for the sweater!!!

I ran out of yarn on our wilderness vacation last week! I was rambling on and on (ranting really) about my problems and possible solutions...and my husband volunteered the sweetest comment: "Heck, if you can't give it to Rick because of the sleeves being off-color...I want it! Give it to me! It won't matter to me! I could wear it up here all the time!" :teehee:

So, no matter what, I have a person to give the sweater to! And I love both men equally, in different ways of course! :heart:

One is my BLOOD, the other is my SOUL MATE! :cheering:

Puddinpop
07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Hmmm, maybe hubby is a little jealous of your attentions for your brother? Thanks for posting the frogging method. So smart. What is the saying, "Necessity is the art of invention"? Something like that, anyway. You are truly talented and you have a very nice looking family. Hope you find your yarn.,

ArtLady1981
07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Hmmm, maybe hubby is a little jealous of your attentions for your brother? Thanks for posting the frogging method. So smart. What is the saying, "Necessity is the art of invention"? Something like that, anyway. You are truly talented and you have a very nice looking family. Hope you find your yarn.,

Ya know...I thought about that...:teehee:....although jealousy isn't his normal MO...however, ya never know! ;)

mimi
07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
If elann doesn't carry your yarn anymore, did you try ravelry to see if anybody there has a few skeins they can part with?
I think we all feel your pain.

ArtLady1981
07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes, I looked all over Ravelry last night. No one has my color number in the first place. :pout:

I found a website "Personal Thread Boutique", who responded to my email inquiry this morning about the dyelot issue. She doesn't carry the same dyelot, however, she said that she would take the yarn back (minus the shipping) if the dyelot of hers is waaaay off. So I am going to order from her this morning...and see what happens! Crossed Fingers

Braden
07-21-2008, 02:03 PM
It couldn't be age! It's all the wonderful knitting you've been doing! :thumbsup:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dyelot matches at least closely enough that it won't stand out.

ArtLady1981
07-24-2008, 03:20 PM
On Monday I ordered 5 skeins of the yarn...from www.personalthreadsboutique.com! It arrived today! The owner of the shop (Summer) said she would refund my money if the yarn was unacceptably unsuitable...but guess what!?? IT'S OKAY!! I can hardly tell the diff between dyelot 01 and dyelot 20!! I'm finishing the sweater now...but am alternating skeins every other row just to be on the safe side. WHOO HOO! :woot:

So this jacket will be an FO soon!!! Will post of photo of my dear brother modeling it for us!!

MerigoldinWA
07-24-2008, 04:00 PM
This is great news ArtLady!! Finding a dye lot that works in a situation like this feels soooo good. I really look forward to seeing it on Rick.

ArtLady1981
07-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Judy! You don't know how FAST I ripped open that Priority bag!!! I ran into my room, and immediately compared them by the light of the window! :cheering: Phew. That was a close call.

I'll remember this lessen for future reference if I get the urge to go off on my own again! Pattern-wise, I mean. Aaargh. :eyes: