PDA

View Full Version : What kind of yarn for a scarf ?

Susannah
07-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Hello -
I am very new to knitting (just learned on You Tube!)

I have made several scarfs using just a knit stitch, and would like to make more. I have small children, so right now, I am only interested in "mindless knitting", to unwind in the evenings.

While my scarfs turned out nice, I am interested in using a nicer, more luxury yarn.

I would like to make a few scarfs for gifts. Since I am not using a pattern or doing anything fancy, I'd love some suggestions for really great yarn. I don't knit a lot, so I could spend up to $10 to $15 a skein.

I'd like something really soft, that would look pretty in a garter stitch.

Any suggestions? Thanks -

wednesday
07-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Patons SWS ( Soy wool Stripe ) come in pretty solids and long color change stripes, in manly as well as girly colors cloud9 it is soft and a lot of the box stores carry it the draw back is that for the yardage it is a little pricey IMO. I still love it and buy it every time it goes on sale or when I have a coupon. It is a little splitty but for straight knitting even a relatively new knitter should be fine.

Personally I still like Caron Simply soft for scarves, great colors, lots of yardage, very inexpensive ( $2.07 A skein at my Wally World ) easy machine wash and dry. The new heathered colors are so pretty and some of the brights just scream knit me for kid ;)

MerigoldinWA
07-02-2008, 02:26 AM
If you want something really nice take a look at Malabrigo and Noro yarns. I have never used them myself, but know some of the folks here and on other knitting sites that rave over them. I just went and looked at some Malabrigo here (http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,8/) and the colors are beautiful and it is supposed to be very soft. I noticed that some sites have it well under 15 dollars a skein (although I am not sure the yardage is great, it may be). Both the Noro and Malabrigo come in some multi-toned yarns and I think they are fantastic when done in garter stitch.

Do a search for the names of the yarns. They have different weights and lots of places sell them, and prices vary. Lorna's Laces is another yarn I have heard is very soft and I think it would be great for scarves.

susi
07-02-2008, 07:10 AM
i've just bought baby alpaca yarn for a scarf. its georgous looking (havent felt it i bought it online).

its 7.99 per skein so pretty expensive i think. but still looks georgous knitted up

susi

of troy
07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Any Yarn you like!

you can make short scarves (in luxury yarns)
or
long scarves in practical yarns
or
shaped scarves in fancy yarns.

scarves come in 2 basic lengths..
short =to about 1/2 the height of person (ie, a 6 foot tall guy gets a 3 foot long scarf)
these are worn under the coat (and just crossed --not knotted) at neck line--(women wear these too)
this type of scarf is often a luxury fiber (it feels good round your neck!)

Long scarves are =to height of wearer.. (a 6 foot tall guy gets a 6 foot long scarf)
these are worn out side the coat (or jacket) and are often double wrapped round the neck or knotted)
these can be any warm (ie wool/wool blend/natural wool like fiber (alpaka, angora, mohair) or blend.

scarves can be dead simple (knit every row)
or a bit more complex (stripes) or this pattern
Cast on X(even number of stitches, and about 2 times as many as you think you need--instead of 20, cast on 40..)

Row 1 and every row:
*K1, bring yarn foward (front--side close to your body as you work) slip 1, then bring yarn to back (to be ready to knit again)--repeat across row from *
Every row is the same
--just take care that, as you move the yarn front to back and back to front, that you PASS IT BETWEEN the tips of the needles, and NOT OVER.

there is also a pattern called "My so called scarf"--its a pretty simple --mostly knit pattern.. and there are other simple patterns.--small patterns often make big differences!

some yarns are 'harder' to knit with (mohair and angora can fall into this catagory)--but blends -wool an mohair, or wool and angora--can be easier, and less expensive.

if your children are under the age of 7, they should only wear short --inside the coat scarves--for safety (long scarf can be choking hazards)

but you can knit them hats.. (hats are pretty easy too!) and flat knit (and seamed mittens) Kids can never have too many mittens!

as little as 200 yards of silk will make a lovely lacy scarf (knit on bigger than suggested needles for a lacy effect!)--it will be a short inside the coat--(or for a woman, wear with a suit or dress accessory scarf)

(but you will need 400+ yards for a long wool out side the coat scarf)

KnitsAway
07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
My first scarves were done using 2 yarns. A simple red heart with a mixture of the fun yarns. I used the Frosting yarn. It makes for a great scarf kids love!

brittyknits
07-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I think Moonlight Mohair from Lion Brand is wonderful for the kind of thing you're talking about. Alsot their Fancy Fur. And I would also cast a vote for Noro. The color changes are great, and it's nice when doing "mindless" knitting to watch that happen as you go.

Ingrid
07-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Noro is beautiful, but I don't know if I'd want it on my neck.

Malabrigo, however, is so soft and doesn't even hint at a prickle when on the skin.

Alpaca is super soft and warm, though some people don't like it on their skin.

Karaoke is a soy/wool blend that is also soft and self-striping.

Wanda Witch
07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I just purchsed Malabrigo for a cardigan and the yarn is soooo soft. I think it would feel delicious around your neck. Good luck on your search.

Plantgoddess+
07-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I made a scarf with bamboo yarn and I love the feel of it. It is sooo soft and drapes nicely.

redheadrachel
07-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Mmm.

I think you know what I mean by that. lol.

(And if you don't, the rest of it is: alabrigo. Mmm.)