PDA

View Full Version : Stressed by stranding

redheadrachel
07-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Does anyone else just get stressed by doing stranded color work? I mean, I can do it, but it makes me nervous and I try to just finish it so it's done. I want to love it and I think it's pretty, but I'm a cables and lace stitch pattern type of gal. Even intarsia, fine. But stranded makes me nervous!
And I'm working on the Cross Country Chullo from Knitty, which I just started today. And worse yet, I don't have a size 2 circular needle, so I'm using six dpns (and a seventh to knit with). And I'm going to have to use a lot more, cuz I'm at the really small part still :/ The pattern calls for only a set of five dpns, so idk how I was supposed to manage that. lol Okay, well here's my work so far, and it just LOOKS stressful to me - lol:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN2080.jpg

Ingrid
07-03-2008, 01:16 AM
I love doing stranded patterns. I love watching the patterns develop. I'll be knitting away, counting stitches and following the chart and am so pleased when I finally take a good look at what I've been knitting.

It also seems to faster to me since each row is slightly different.

I enjoy intarsia, but that stresses me more. So many ends dangling.

cam90066
07-03-2008, 01:20 AM
I like it for the reasons Ingrid mentioned but I also like that you can improvise with patterns, colors and make something totally unique.

cam

Slim
07-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Well, it doesn't look stressful to me, it looks beautiful! I love those colors. But that's going to be a lot of dpns to manage. I think I'd spring for the circular. I wonder whether it's stressful because you're always pushing to expand your abilities. You don't seem to stay in your comfort zone very long before you're off to conquer new worlds! The result is gorgeous knitting -- and a little wear and tear on the nerves!

I've never tried stranded work -- it's on my (lengthy) list for this summer while school's out. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

redheadrachel
07-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Ah, I do love seeing the pattern emerge. It makes it more difficult to stop, that whole "one more row" idea.
I think the tension is what gets me. I'm always worried about the floats being too tight. I think that's it :) lol

Knitting_Guy
07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Just relax and enjoy it. I really enjoy stranding and, as already mentioned, love the fact that you can just improvise with it and come up with something all your own.

You're the only one who will know if it didn't turn out exactly as planned and you can always say "I meant for it to look like that" :mrgreen:

redheadrachel
07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Okay, okay. It is pretty fun. I just get nervous about the tension! lol I'm doing much better, I think - must be that it's just a matter of practice!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN2087.jpg

knitasha
07-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I think the tension is what gets me. I'm always worried about the floats being too tight. I think that's it :) lol

Okay, if that's the problem, do this:
every time you are ready to switch colors,
spread out the stitches you just finished on the right needle.
Don't yank them hard; just spread them gently along the length of the needle with your right thumb and forefinger. It takes about a quarter of a second.

This little maneuver provides exactly the right amount of slack for you to do the next color section without either puckers or big sloppy loops. Practice doing this every time you change colors until it becomes second nature.

It sounds almost too simple but it works like a charm, and it automatically erases any anxiety about tight stitches.

Jaxhil
07-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Rachel, that hat is GORGEOUS!! I love the colors, its beautiful-now you're making me want to make one :teehee:

I know what you mean about being worried about the tension~ I made a purdy little hat oh, about a year and a half ago-maroon with stone colored snowflakes and flecks. It was beautiful. I even designed the pattern myself! I knit it up. concentrating on holding my yarn ala EZ style, one color in each hand...and it was lovely!

But when I tried to put it on it looked like a Shriner hat with a stretchy little ribbing at the bottom :doh::gah: LOL. It wouldn't go down over my head (or ANYone's head!) it just sat on top like a party favor. Sigh.

anyway, I know how you feel. I have to say, it looks like you won't have that problem! :teehee: And I will get brave and try again one day! I can't wait to see how yours comes out!

btw, thanks, knitasha, for the great tip!

redheadrachel
07-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Very good advice about stretching it out on my right needle. I actually do do that, it's just - I don't know. lol I just get stressed by it!!! haha The worst part especially is between dpns, so hard to keep tension even there! But we'll see, I'm workin' hard :)

Debkcs
07-04-2008, 03:40 AM
That's a really pretty hat. You'll probably be done with it in the next day or two and want to do another one right away.

Just b.r.e.a.t.h.e in and b.r.e.a.t.h.e out, it's OK, you're an awesome knitter!

redheadrachel
07-04-2008, 07:56 PM
So... LOL Here we go:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN2095.jpg