PDA

View Full Version : My Max's eye... Final update! - post #76, pg. 8

bailsmom
07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh my goodness people, what a day I had today. My Max came through the surgery well. Although when we came to pick him up and she went to take the IV out of his little leg he made the most horrible screams I've never heard come out of him. I thought it was someone else's cat! DH and I just felt so badly for 'that cat' and it turns out it was Max! I've heard him Hiss at our other cat and growl at the vet. He was just carrying on and on, it was so sad.

He's been sleeping quite uncomfortably since we got home. He peed in his carrier! He's never done that before. His eye looks just awful. I knew it wouldn't look good, but I wasn't prepared for how swollen it is, I think I was secretly hoping it would already look healed and beautiful. Yeah, I like to live in dreamland when I'm dealing with a stressful situation. :teehee: You can see he's in so much discomfort and on top of that we have to give him an antibiotic for the next 10 days. Not cool. Normally we can do that alone, but since we have to pry open his mouth it'll be a 2-man job. I'm just afraid of hurting him even more by prying open his mouth.

I know he'll feel better in a few days, but boy did this day just creep along at a snails pace. I cried when I dropped him off, I knew I was upset (obviously) but I wasn't prepared for the tears. And my vet actually shocked me by coming across as rather impatient with me for being upset. It's not like I stood there for 10 minutes with tears streaming down my face. His tech was so sympathetic and even went and got me some tissue. Bless her heart. I gave her a hug when we picked Max up. She is such a sweet person. You can tell she loves animals.

I feel like I have to keep reminding the vet that I don't deal with removing body parts on a daily basis like they do, so it's a hell of a lot more traumatic for me than it is them, plus it's not even their animal!

Thank you all for your warm wishes and prayers. We find out in a week if it's cancer or not. God I hope it isn't. This is all taking so long to finish. The first week we saw 2 vets, the second week we saw the eye doctor, the 3rd week we set up the pre-op and this week we did the surgery and now one more week until - God willing - the final end of it all. I'll let you know when I know something. You know, I've gained almost 5 lbs during this whole debacle! I'm eating every piece of junk food I can get my hands on...oy vey. I hate stress.

You all are the best people on this earth!! :muah: :hug: :heart:

Dangles
07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
:hug:

cdjack
07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm sending positive thoughts to you and to Max. Hopefully, you'll find out he's cancer free really soon. :hug:

Doodknitwit
07-02-2008, 11:22 PM
prayimg for Max and you. Hope he isn't hurting soon.

saracidaltendencies
07-02-2008, 11:51 PM

callmesusan
07-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Awww. I hope you both feel better tomorrow.

KnittingNat
07-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Sending you positive thoughts and hoping Max will come through :hug: BTW, cats have no control over their pee after anesthetics, so that's the reason he peed in the carrier, not because of the stress. The antibiotics are a hard task, but remember it's for his own good and don't give up:hug:. We're praying for you:hug:

susi
07-03-2008, 06:06 AM
oh poor ickle fella. but as i said before i used to ride a horse taht had one eye, th elady that had him when he had his eye removed said it looked exactly like you have described. she said it took a week to even start to settle down again. after 4 weeks she said it looked ok. now 20+ years later he looks normal just without an eye there!

as for youer vet, what an idiot. dosent he get that people skills ARE part of his job as well, not just caring for poorly animals.

as for anti biotics, prehaps you could inject an antibiotic instead? its less stressful (thats if you are ok with needles, they arent hard to do if you havent done it before). i always go for an injection over tablets even though i HATE needles, its usually better for the animals.

also, i've always used arnica on animals after an opp as it helps with swelling and brusing, so helps recovery etc. you get tablets that are easy for them to take as they are sweet and really tiny, they sdont notice they are taking them in a bit of cheese or something.

sorry i know you weren't after that info, but i have had a afir few opps done over the years on my lot and thought it may help, feel free to tell me to shut up lol

susi

catlvr
07-03-2008, 09:08 AM
After Max is all healed, I'd dump that vet but fast!! what an idiot! He'll be ok, my pekingese was sort of "out of it" for maybe 2 days, but then seemed to have a miraculous recovery. Hugs to you and Max. Let us know how he's doing (and you too!!)

sue in canada
07-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Sending :hug: to you. Our pets are like our children and it is so hard to watch them suffer in anyway. You are doing the best for him and tomorrow he should be much better, Sending healing thoughts to both of you.

PurlyGyrl
07-03-2008, 09:24 AM
:hug: I hope Max (and you too) are feeling better soon. :hug:

Sunshine's Mom
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
It'll be okay and I'll be praying for a great outcome for you both. We're here for you. :hug: :heart:

Wanda Witch
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Sending positive thoughts for your little Max. It is easier to be sick or hurting yourself than to see your little four-legged kids going through pain. :hug: :hug:

bambi
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Poor little kitty! I hope he heals up soon. I'm sorry your vet was so insensitive. Vets are not usually like that, in my experience with many pet and vets. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Hugs to you and I hope it's not cancer!

Bambi

vaknitter
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Hope Max is feeling better soon and glad the surgery is over and went well.

gailf
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I hope that by the time you read this Max is feeling better.

CountryKitty
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
:grphug:

Ditto that peeing in the carrier was due to the anesthetic wearing off slowly in cats, so forget about it.

And the vet WAS an idiot...forget him too.

I'm sure Max will be uncomfortable for a couple-three days, and likely will not like the antibiotics. But give him lots of love while giving the meds--my cat doesn't like baths, but the last 2 times I washed him I kept rubbing all the right places and crooning to him and was careful not to splash and he actually was pretty good. And remember that after those tough ten days, he will be well on the road to recovery because of the surgery and antibiotics. Animals don't dwell on things tha way people do--remember them, yes, but not dwell on them. As the discomfort fades he'll be back to his old self in no time at all.

:muah:

bailsmom
07-03-2008, 12:28 PM
:muah: Thanks everyone! Max seems to be a little better this morning. DH even gave him his pill with no problems, so that's good. He's eating and up and walking around - brief walks I should say. DH brought him to bed with me before he left for work and he laid on my lap for a half hour!! It was wonderful. He was purring and licking me and it never felt so good to feel that sandpaper tongue on my hand. :rofl: Then he went to his cat bed. One of many. I bought him a new one to. :teehee: Heck, I'd buy him a tuna factory if I could afford it. :teehee:

As for the peeing in his carrier, I wasn't upset about it, just surprised. I actually felt bad for him, because I know he didn't want to do it in there. I washed it out and it's drying in this horrible heat we're having today.

As for our vet, yes, he was a jerk (with me, not Max) through this whole process and I'm still quite surprised by his attitude. We've been going to him for about 5 years now and he's been great every time, so I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's a little hard at the moment. I know people have bad days and what not, but sometimes (IMO) you have to push it aside and be there for your clients. I mean it's not like I spent 20 minutes with the guy, maybe 2-3 minutes. That's it. I think he could have sucked it up for my benefit. Oh well, I guess if it happens again then we'll have to look for another vet.

And I welcome any and all advice that you all have for me. Even if I've heard it before, sometimes we forget when we're in the middle of a crisis and being reminded - gently - is a good thing to help us stop and think a little more clearly. :thumbsup:

mks22300
07-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Jeremy
07-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Praying for you and poor Max. I hope all turns out well.

ArtLady1981
07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Hopefully, no cancer! :muah:

The vet seems to be a little lacking in people skills. But if he did his job well...he's forgiven. "Hate me if you want...but be good to my pet" is my motto!

Fortunately, our VET is the kindest, most compassionate person in the world.
SHE is totally into pets and the people that belong to them!

It sounds like your MAX has a wonderful mommy and daddy!
I sure wouldn't want to be the mommy that administers meds to a cat that's in recovery and feeling a bit cranky! :doh:

Keep us posted!

Mulderknitter
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
:muah: I'm glad he's feeling a bit better. I always say as long as Mulder is eating and peeing, i'm happy. He'll get used to his new situation soon enough, I'm sure. Mulder didn't mind at all when he started to have to get injections twice a day. Just something new. I know its not the same, but cats are adaptable. He'll be just fine:hug:

CountryKitty
07-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Here’s a couple of photos from a Ravelry thread--they show a very content kitty who just happens to have one eye (just look at how relaxed kitteh is in the second). Kittys really do just fine without one eye, tho' their depth perception is gone, making it a bit trickier to jump on and off anything much higher than the couch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10204047@N05/2598408656/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10204047@N05/2597576615/in/photostream/

bailsmom
07-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone. I'm a little concerned for my Max right now. I noticed yesterday afternoon that his eye was extremely dialated. And it hasn't gone down to a normal pupil yet. I called the vet as soon as I noticed it and he told us to come in and he put some drops in his eye to restrict it, but it didn't work. And it's still like it was yesterday before he put the drops in.

Any ideas as to what it's from? The vet didn't even seem to know why it was dialated like it was. He said if it was from the surgery it would be extremely restricted, not dialated. And he hasn't eaten much today compared to yesterday. He seems 'normal', compared to yesterday, but he doesn't seem to be moving around as much as yesterday. Needless to say it's quite dark in the house today since his eye won't restrict back to normal. Help!

sue in canada
07-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Don't have any advice but sending :hug: to both of you.

princessbonniejane
07-04-2008, 03:42 PM
:grphug::hug:to both of you.

saracidaltendencies
07-04-2008, 11:44 PM
:hug: I'm not sure what would cause it, possibly it's an adjustment period? I hope it's nothing serious, please keep us posted! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Awww, hopefully it's just something temporary and will pass soon.

Gertie
07-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes. Please keep us posted. It's so hard when your children - human, fur, feathers or otherwise - hurt. Hugs & prayers to you all.

braymer
07-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I hope Max will be ok.

bailsmom
07-05-2008, 05:00 PM
We took Max in again this afternoon and were told that the doctor who did the surgery gave him a shot of Atropine, which we were using prior to the surgery as it helps stop the spasming in his eye. Which was causing him a good deal of pain. It also causes the eyes to dilate, which I didn't notice at all the week we were using it. Of course I wasn't focusing on his eyes dilating vs. him losing the eye. So I don't remember if they were dilated at all or not. :doh:

The doctor we saw today told us the other doctor had given Max a shot of the Atropine the day of surgery, and she said she's seen the affects last up to 7 days. So we have to wait until at least Tuesday before we call again. The reason his remaining eye is dilated is because they are connected through the optic nerve (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard so much medical jargin in the last 3 weeks that I'm not sure what's what anymore) so that is why his eye is dilated.

Please continue your prayers for my boy. I can't even begin to tell you how much your support and well-wishes have meant to me. :hug:

Wanda Witch
07-05-2008, 05:49 PM
The prayers for you and Max are on their way right now and until he is well on the road to recovery. :hug: :hug:

saracidaltendencies
07-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Sending well wishes your way! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
The reason his remaining eye is dilated is because they are connected through the optic nerve (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard so much medical jargin in the last 3 weeks that I'm not sure what's what anymore) so that is why his eye is dilated.

That makes perfect sense and would explain it. Yes, both eyes are sort of connected so that they work together.

KnittingNat
07-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Hugs and good thoughts coming your way :hug::hug::hug:!

Jeremy
07-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Atropine is a drug that works systemically. It would also make his heart race and his mouth dry up. The very best wishes and prayers for Max.

bailsmom
07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Atropine is a drug that works systemically. It would also make his heart race and his mouth dry up. The very best wishes and prayers for Max.

:think: That would explain his increased drinking this past week...funny, they forgot to mention that part too. :nails:

Mulderknitter
07-08-2008, 08:33 AM
:grphug: Keep us updated. Hope he's feeling better!

bailsmom
07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Good Morning all! I called the Eye doctor for Max yesterday as my regular vet's opinion wasn't satisfying the nagging feeling in my gut and he said that we should wait another week for it to go back to normal. So I feel better hearing it from him. I don't think he'd risk my Max's eye going blind or damaging it. It's still the same as it's been since last Thursday and tomorrow it'll be a week since the surgery. The eye doctor said it could be from the surgery or from the Atropine shot they gave him. I guess now it's a waiting game. It does constrict ever so slightly when I take him outside (in the shade of course) but it doesn't stay that way when I bring him back inside.

He's acting pretty much normal, but he's still not laying on my lap in the living room. I think he's associating it with our putting the eye drops in his eyes in the living room. :shrug: But at least he's not running away from us everytime we walk past him.

Still now word on the biopsy results. Hopefully they'll come in today. I'm tired of waiting....

Mulderknitter
07-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't worry about him not laying in your lap. when Mulder doesn't feel good he doesn't want to be touched. Kinda like me :zombie: when I dont' feel particularly great. He also might be out of sorts and just wants to be somewhere he feels safe. As long as he's eating and using his litter box, I would just wait it out.

bailsmom
07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
The vet just called - it's cancer. :cry: I'm crying as I am typing this and it's really hard to read the screen. I just can't belive this is happening to me again.

They said it's not a good cancer either. They couldn't tell if it was just in the eye itself or if it had spread through the optical nerve. I can't believe I waited so long to take him in, if I had gone in sooner maybe they could have gotten it out earlier and then it wouldn't have the chance to spread.

I'm supposed to wait until tomorrow to call the eye doctor about what we're supposed to do next. I am just in complete shock. I honestly thought we had caught it early enough. He is such a sweet cat.

KnittingNat
07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I can't really find the words, because i'm afraid to know how it feels. I have 2 cats and a dog also and knowing their time is much shorter than ours on earth makes me really sad. I'm sending you huge :hug::hug::hug: and love. Please pet Max for me :sad:.

mks22300
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Aww, man....I'm so very sorry :hug:

gailf
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Im crying right along with you.

dustinac
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM

jjminarcik
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I am so sorry! Prayers and hugs coming your way! :hug::hug:

Jan in CA
07-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry! :hug:

saracidaltendencies
07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
:hug::hug:I'm so sorry to hear.

braymer
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
prayers to you

scout52
07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: I am SO SORRY!! I am crying with you!!! I can't imagine the pain you are feeling. I have two cats who are my kids. My thoughts are with Max and I wish him a speedy recovery!:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :heart: :heart: :heart:

PurlyGyrl
07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. :hug: to you both.

bambi
07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
So Sorry! It hurts so much. :hug:

Bambi

Becky Morgan
07-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Oh, no! I hope he has a lot of good time left with you.

Plantgoddess+
07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
:hug: :hug: So sorry to hear. I hope that they can help him.

Wanda Witch
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
My heart is breaking for you and your precious Max. They come into our lives so innocently, we love them with all our hearts and the only thing they ever do to hurt us is to leave us too soon. God Bless you both. I know and feel your pain.

bailsmom
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM
:hug: Thank you all for your wonderful support. I have stopped crying since I posted about the call. Although this afternoon was pretty tough. I decided to call the very first vet we took him too (she was filling in at our regular vet from another office) she has to be the most wonderfully understanding human being on this planet. She's been so great through all of this crap. She gave us some suggestions to ask the eye doctor for things we could do to be proactive about it, so that helped get my mind back on the positive and off the negative.

I am so anxious to call the eye doctor tomorrow to get his opinion on the lab results. When we first saw him, he made it sound like the chances of it spreading were very slim, so I'm still holding onto that right now to get me through.

Max is acting like himself - almost. He's still nervous with us in the living room, but like I said, that was where we gave him the eye drops for a week and a half. He is coming in to 'kneed' on his favorite blanket so that is progress. He's eating good, he's not in any pain so I'm trying to hold on to that and look at all the positives I can right now. His eye is still the same but they said it could take another week, so I'm less concerned about that....

I tried adding a picture of him but it won't work. It says it's too big and I don't know how to shrink it. Sorry.

sue in canada
07-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I am so sorry to hear your news.:hug:

vaknitter
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry to say I know the pain you are feeling. Our 13 y/o dog has been diagnosed with a tumor in his head/face that cannot be operated on or treated other than pain killers. I did the woulda, coulda, shoulda and now I just feed him hot dogs, rice, chicken and whatever dog food I can get down him. I pray everynight that if he is going to die that he die in his sleep so we don't have to make that horrible choice to euthanize him. Of course in the back of my mind I still tell myself the vet is wrong (he is still perfectly happy, walking with us etc), it's not cancer and he will live to bankrupt me eating hot dogs and chicken : )
My thoughts and prayers are with you -

bailsmom
07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
OMG!! MAX IS OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe this roller coaster we're on!!:passedout: The eye doctor called me this morning and went over the results and said from what the pathologist reported it did not spread outside of the globe/eye!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

He used his medical jargon, of course, and said all we had to do was keep an eye on how he acts and as long as we take him in every few months for a check up for the next year or so he should be completely cancer free now!!! We just need to wait out the dilation in his remaining eye now and if it doesn't go back to normal we'll take him in to the eye doctor and they'll see what they can do to help him. He's still not walking into anything and is jumping from here to there with no problems at all. And he's eating more now that I bought him his old food last night. All good news!!:woohoo:

My God, all that crying I did yesterday, all because the stupid vet didn't know how to read a report. Ugh, I'm so mad at them right now. :hair:

Thank you all, again, SO VERY MUCH for your supportive words. :muah: :muah: :muah: I am not done worrying about him as it's still the beginning of his healing, but things look like they are going in the right direction.

saracidaltendencies
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Oh, good! I'm so happy to hear!!! I hope Max continues to improve and you're past the worst of it!

Wanda Witch
07-09-2008, 02:36 PM
That is the best news I've read or heard all day. I can certainly understand you jumping for joy. I wish you and Max the VERY best and thankfully everything is looking up now. :happydance:

gailf
07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
You have no idea how happy I am that you finally recceived some good news!!!

princessbonniejane
07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh! I'm so happy that max is ok!

scout52
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
OMIGOD THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!! ARGH stupid vet learn to read the report. I am so happy for you and Max!!!!

Nobones
07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
:woot: :woohoo: So happy to hear that your little Max is o.k. Give him a big hug from us all.

I'm sorry you had a tough time with the vet, but onwards and upwards. Bet you are going to spoil that kitty rotten!

jjminarcik
07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Wonderful news! Prayers were answered! :-)

KnittingNat
07-09-2008, 04:21 PM
These are great news!!!:cheering::woot: I'm so happy for Max and you. Make sure you spoil him a bit :teehee:

Dangles
07-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Mulderknitter
07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh my goodness! :woot: That is great news!
If that was my kitty I'd be giving him all his favorite wet food smothered in his favorite gravy every day from now on! Poor little guy! I am so glad he's starting to act more himself now. That can certainly be upsetting. Go pour yourself one!:clink:

mks22300
07-09-2008, 07:24 PM
That is fabulous news! I'm so happy for you and Max! :hug:

Jeremy
07-09-2008, 09:19 PM
What a great end to the day. Thanks so much for letting us know.:hug:

Wanda Witch
07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Just guess what family will sleep tonight with happy thoughts and good dreams? I just cannot get all of you out of my mind. Max will make it: he must have spirit, courage, and people who love, love, love him. That is truly what makes the world go 'round.:muah: :hug: :heart:

bailsmom
07-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Just guess what family will sleep tonight with happy thoughts and good dreams? I just cannot get all of you out of my mind. Max will make it: he must have spirit, courage, and people who love, love, love him. That is truly what makes the world go 'round.:muah: :hug: :heart:

You know, I swear he does have courage. In all my 31 yrs on this earth and all the cats we've had since I was a kid, not one of them comes close to being as spunky, happy, sweet, adventurous, friendly cat that is our Max. For a cat to have been hit by a car when he was barely 6 months old and having his face broken and his ear torn and no vision left in that eye, you'd think he'd be the most skittish cat out there, but it's like nothing bad has ever happened to him. It's like he doesn't remember a thing! He's not afraid of anything.

Whereas our other cat who was abused - because he's a black cat, you know the whole torture a black cat on halloween?? :fingerwag: - he's the same age as Max and is the complete opposite of him. Mind you he's better than he was but he's still scared to death of any sudden noise or movement you make. It's unreal how he's never forgotten.

Oh! He even came and laid on my lap tonight - ON THE COUCH! :teehee: It wasn't a long visit, but I'll take what I can get. :wink:

catlvr
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm so happy for you and Max especially. All the prayers surely helped. He will probably outlive us all (I hope!!) LOL Now, you need to take care of yourself or Max will be worried about his "mama"!!

PurlyGyrl
07-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Glad to hear the good news!:thumbsup:

bailsmom
07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
:waving: Hello everyone! I just wanted to give you the final update on my Maxers. As per the eye doctor vet, he said to wait until yesterday (monday) to see if his eye would go back to normal (his eye has been dilated since the day of surgery)before they checked on him and it hadn't so I called and got him in this morning. (Mind you it was a 100 mile round-trip to go to this eye doctor! And VERY warm and I don't have A/C in my car. Oy vey!) He did an exam on his eye and checked it out really good and said that it is constricting slightly when you shine a light in the eye so that means it is working, but that it's just not there yet. He said it may never go back to normal and that it would be okay if that happened that way.

I, of course, would prefer his eye to be normal, but as long as everything he checked looked normal and healthy then I'm okay with it being the way it is, so it looks like we're officially out of the woods. :cheering: I'm so glad this is all over with now. Max is starting to come up on the couch now without my having to coax him up and he even laid on my lap today! That was huge for him, so he's getting back to trusting us again. I'm so glad.

I love you all for your support and prayers and warm thoughts and wishes for my boy. Bless you all. :hug:

mks22300
07-15-2008, 10:42 PM
That's great news!

Debkcs
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Animals are so resiliant, glad it's worked out for Max.

Dangles
07-15-2008, 11:15 PM
:hug: :) I'm happy for the both of you

BobbiKnits
07-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm so happy for you and your Max! :hug:

Mulderknitter
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
:woohoo: Loves me a good kitty story! So glad he's thru the ordeal!

gailf
07-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Im so gald to hear the news.
I've been thinking about you.