PDA

View Full Version : KnitPicks Book Sale - What to buy!?!?

heeranc
07-03-2008, 12:49 AM
I have no books, I'm looking to buy

I'm looking for suggestions for sock books, and stitch dictionaries and things like cables

One specific question I have is the difference between sensational sock book and the more sensational sock book... should i get both? or just one and which open?

Thanks, this will be my birthday present to myself.... :woot:

Jan in CA
07-03-2008, 12:52 AM
I have the first one and I've heard it's the best one. :shrug: I also have Getting Started Knitting Socks which is a good book, too.

pvsduck
07-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I have both of the sensational socks books and prefer the 1st one. The way it is layed out is easier for me to use.

knitgal
07-03-2008, 09:42 AM
That's so funny, I have also been trying to decide which Sensational sock book to get and I had heard the second was better! I guess it's really different for everyone.

redheadrachel
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I have the first SKS book and I do like it. It's a lot of basic sock construction information that I already knew, but it has some good ideas and a few great stitch patterns! I also JUST got in 25 Favorite Socks from Interweave, and it's amazing! I think it's my favorite sock pattern book I've ever seen, so if that's what you're looking for, I'd definitely check into it! Vogue Knitting is also a great all-purpose reference with a great amount of stitch patterns in it! Oh yes, take full advantage of the summer book sale :)

KnittinMitchie
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
the first SKS book if full of How-To's on socks construction and the basics of socks. From what I have been told the 2nd one isn't as full of general information as the first one.

LovelyLinda
07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I have the first one and I've heard it's the best one. :shrug: I also have Getting Started Knitting Socks which is a good book, too.

I just picked that one up from Chapters and I really like it. I have never tried knitting socks because it seems a bit intimidating but the book makes me think maybe I can.

Before ordering a book, you could go to your library or book store and see which one(s) you like then get them cheaper at the Knitpicks sale.

Linda

Jaxhil
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
I have both Getting started Knitting Socks (FANTASTIC) and SKS, which I like very much, but for a beginner I would recommend Getting Started as more beginner friendly, with *very* clear instructions.

I also have 25 Favorite Socks, and I agree with RHRachel-it is wonderful, full of beautiful socks, almost every one of which I want to knit.

If you're at all interested in doing Magic Loop, 2-At-A-Time socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes is also highly recommended. And yes, I have that one too :aww: and only have 1.25 pairs of socks under my belt :teehee: But a girl can't have too many reference books, right? LOL.

have fun deciding!