PDA

View Full Version : Jaywalkers ARGH!

laikabear
07-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just sympathy here. I've frogged my Jaywalkers (only my 2nd pair of socks) 4 times now! I started with the smallest size on Size 2 (3.0 mm) DPNs and the ribbing was too loose, but the pattern portion was too tight. I couldn't get it over my foot!

I frogged and started over with the ribbing on Size 1 (2.5 mm) but went to the next size up (adding 8 stitches). Then I worked some of the pattern on my Size 2 (3.0 mm) needles again. This time both the ribbing AND the pattern portion were too loose.

I think part of the problem is that I have a very long, narrow foot and skinny leg. So it's hard to get the pattern portion over my long foot if it's the right size for my leg.

Why didn't I do the swatch? Well I can't figure out how to do the zigzag pattern flat, so I just figured my sock would be the swatch. I ripped the sock 2 more times due to just being a general dumbass.

Now I'm ready to start again. I'm going to go back to the smallest size, do the ribbing on Size 1 (2.5 mm) needles, and the pattern portion on Size 3 (3.25 mm) needles.

I'm using Knitpicks Essential, colorway meadow multi, which is dark brown, bright green, and fuchsia. Online it looked more purple than fuchsia but it is still pretty. I picked it because it was in my stash (I don't have much of a stash). Anyway, feel free to commiserate or offer advice. (Like, "do a swatch, donkey-brain!") :mrgreen:

I'll post a progress pic if I ever get past the half unwound ball of raggedy, curly yarn phase. Sigh.

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Sounds like you're having fun!

Sometimes trial and error is the best way to go. I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I look forward to seeing them.

Plantgoddess+
07-05-2008, 06:04 PM
You might consider fewer stitches on the ribbing and increasing the number of stitches for the pattern.
You have my sympathy, I have the opposite problem slender ankles and foot and muscular calves. I have even had to decrease a few stitches after the ribbing in order to not have floppy socks around my ankle.

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I wear a size 12 or 13 man's shoe depending on the brand and style. I also have normal sized ankles attached to those Yeti sized feet. It took a little trial and error to make socks fit, but it can be done.

Kithic
07-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I feel your pain! I frogged my jaywalkers three times before I finally decided to just do my favorite standard cuff with 60st in 1x1 twisted ribbing. On the first row after the ribbing I increased to 76st then started the pattern on the following row. Hope this helps!

laikabear
07-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Mason I wear a size 11 ladies... I'm 5'10", and yes I can water ski barefoot. :rofl:

OK so far things are going well, I have a ribbed cuff and one repeat. I'm still at work now (1 more hour!!!) but when I get home I'll post a pic.

I had to get the other ball of yarn out, the first one was looking so tattered at the end. I really did frog that sock 6 times. The first time I cast on last night, I had to put the sock down on the first row. When I picked it back up I was distracted and started knitting backwards or upside down or something. After a few mins I had 3 rows on one needle and one on the other side of the sock. I noticed when I got to the join and it was at the left end of the needle instead of the right. I have NO FREAKIN IDEA how I managed that. The stitches weren't twisted or anything. Maybe I picked it up upside down? Leave it to me to find a novel way of screwing up.

Hopefully if I make the whole sock with some leftover from the first ball, I can just cut the tattered end off the second ball.

Slim
07-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Wow, what a nightmare! I have to admit I probably would have thrown them against the wall by now and gone on to something else. I admire your perseverance. I've heard several people say they had the devil of a time with their Jaywalkers -- what is it about that pattern?

laikabear
07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
OK, the first repeat is done. Here's a pic for the colors. After I get 2 more repeats, I'll make sure it will go over my foot and then hopefully I'll be on track.

I

saracidaltendencies
07-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Oooh, I love, love, love the yarn! Looks great so far!