PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Gotta Fess Up

Knitting_Guy
07-06-2008, 01:33 AM
I am seriously loath to post this, but I love you all and feel like I need to.

I saw my doctor Thursday about the growth on the top of my head. It was an unofficial visit. He wasn't happy about it and took a biopsy and then had me go over to the hospital for an MRI, which he made sure stayed off the books until my health insurance kicks in. He's good about that sort of thing.

He called me earlier today about the results and I've been mulling them over all day.. He won't get the biopsy results until next week but he did get the MRI results back.

It seems that it does look like it's a basal cell carcinoma. Funny thing about that kind of skin cancer, it doesn't metastasize like other cancers but it does invade adjoining tissues.

It seems that this one has gone beyond my scalp and has moved through my skull and into my brain. At least according to the MRI. Not too deep yet though.

He kinda fussed me out about letting it go so long without having it checked. I've known him for a few years and could tell he wasn't happy.

So I guess I have brain cancer, sort of. I'm glad I don't use that part all that much LOL. The doc is going to consult with someone else next week and get back to me.

I'm not going to worry about it. It is what it is.

Now if I say something stupid I have a good excuse :rofl:

Zebragirlnz
07-06-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't often post, but do a lot of lurking. I have been following your adventures both knitting and trucking.

My thoughts are with you at this time. Hope it isn't too bad and can be sorted relatively easily.

Cancer sucks.

Dangles
07-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Oh my goodness, Mason. :hug: This really bites :pout: :sad: I pray for you and send you healing thoughts at this time. Sending you much :muah:

Knitting_Guy
07-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Oh my goodness, Mason. :hug: This really bites :pout: :sad: I pray for you and send you healing thoughts at this time. Sending you much :muah:
Fleas bite worse ya know :rofl:

No biggie

Dangles
07-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Fleas bite worse ya know :rofl:

No biggie

:rofl: Mason, you crack me up. :hug:

Jan in CA
07-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Oh Mason. :pout: My thoughts are with you for a good results that can be treated. Hang in there and keep up the positive thoughts. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

auburnchick
07-06-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm sorry to hear this news, Mason.

I'll be praying for you.

Please keep us apprised of this situation and the treatment you'll be seeking (if that's not too personal, mind you).

:hug:

susi
07-06-2008, 08:23 AM
oh mason thats not good at all sending big :hug: to you and pray its an easy treatment and you are on the mend soon

susi

ritaw
07-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Dear Mason ,
Sorry to hear this . Please keep us updated and i hope you get treatment quickly .
((Hugs))

Plantgoddess+
07-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Mason, so sorry to hear that and I hope it's easily treatable. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

tarrentella
07-06-2008, 09:22 AM
My first thoughts are 'oh no! how horrid. I hope you can get it treated easily and it doesnt cause too much trouble.'

My second thought is 'It went through your scull? Coooool. i wonder if it left a lesion?'

NEVER EVER TELL A STUDENT OSTEOLOGIST/PATHOLOGIST ABOUT CONDITIONS WHICH INVOLVE BONES. WE JUST GET CURIOUS!

seriously though i realy do hope you are ok and that they are able to sort you out quickely.

suzeeq
07-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Sending good thoughts to you Mason.

gingerbread
07-06-2008, 09:43 AM
:hug::hug::hug::hug:Big hugs to you Mason and hope everythings is ok. My prayers are with you. And yes we are a very big family aren't we.:grphug: :pray:

:waving:

Ingrid
07-06-2008, 09:45 AM
:grphug:

Wanda Witch
07-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh, Mason, I am so sorry to hear this. I know everyone here will be holding you in their thoughts and hearts during this. Just want to send you super-duper positive thoughts. :grphug:

Sewing Angel
07-06-2008, 10:00 AM
As gingerbread said "we are a very big family". She is right. You are like our wandering brother with all of the great stories. I will be thinking of you. You know we will all be here.
Angel

sue in canada
07-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry to hear your news Mason. Hope you can get treatment soon. Keep us updated.

Knitting_Guy
07-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone. I really don't think it's as bad as it sounds. Doc did say it isn't very deep so worst case I'll probably just lose a bit of skull bone and have it replaced with plastic or metal or whatever they decide to use. The stuff doesn't spread very quickly so that's a good thing.

I haven't told my mother about it and won't until I absolutely have to. She has enough on her plate right now.

DianaM
07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
The human brain is an amazing piece of work. If a bit of it gets cut off, the rest takes over for whatever was taken out. So I highly doubt you'll loose who you are as you mentioned in the blog. You have many years to go of knitting and attracting the ladies with your knitting, don't you worry.

We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you.
Big hugs from South Dakota.

laikabear
07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Gosh Mason, I hardly ever look in the off-topic threads. Now I am really glad that this AM I did.

Did your doctor give you an idea about time frame for treatment? I assume they are planning to do a surgical excision, and with complete margins no radiation or chemo would be needed? How big is the mass? Maybe they would try to shrink it, pre surgery, with chemo or radiation...

I guess it is good that these types of tumors don't tend to metastasize. If you do end up with a metal plate, you'll be able to hold up the lines at the airport. :wink:

You're in my thoughts, keep us posted!

Maureen

bailsmom
First of all, I am so sorry you have to deal with this situation. :hug:

Second, Kudos to you for going in to see the doctor!! :thumbsup: It sounds like they may have caught it early enough for positive results. Your doctor sounds terrific, not many like him around anymore these days.

You are in my prayers Mason. :hug:

Nobones

Doublereeder2
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Well that really stinks. But good thing it hasn't gone too far. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Knitting_Guy
07-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Gosh Mason, I hardly ever look in the off-topic threads. Now I am really glad that this AM I did.

Did your doctor give you an idea about time frame for treatment? I assume they are planning to do a surgical excision, and with complete margins no radiation or chemo would be needed? How big is the mass? Maybe they would try to shrink it, pre surgery, with chemo or radiation...

I guess it is good that these types of tumors don't tend to metastasize. If you do end up with a metal plate, you'll be able to hold up the lines at the airport. :wink:

You're in my thoughts, keep us posted!

Maureen

Well he hasn't gone into details with me yet, but from what he said they'll probably just cut out the affected bone and tissue. It isn't very deep at all so it probably will be a pretty simple thing.

fireflyknitter
07-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I hope the treatment is a simple as you make it sound, although surgery on your brain sounds very serious no matter HOW simple it really is!

I'll be thinking of you!

The.Knitter
07-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Mason, we all love you too! You are a huge part of our entertainment daily. You are a source of inspiration. You just keep on trying, no matter what the stumbling blocks are.

As a member of my family, I will keep you in my prayers constantly and hope that you have an easy time with this. It's early, you have a good doctor and you have a positive attitude so you WILL fight and you WILL win!

Keep us in the know please.

Hugs to you my friend.

medic777
07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
You are in my thoughts and prayers big guy. Hugs to you :hug:

JessicaR
07-06-2008, 11:31 AM
The old guy across the street lived 10 years with brain cancer and still managed to get out everyday. He'd take a drive, walk up to the store, pick up every flipping leaf on his lawn, sweep his driveway, yell at his cats, and gripe about my dogs. Everyday. I hope you will be the same ;)

Knit4Fun
07-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Mason, I'm sending you big hugs and lots of prayers. Be well and keep us up to date - you're in my heart. :muah: :hug:

cdjack
07-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Oh, Mason... You'll be in my thoughts. And knowing you, I know that your sense of humor will help you get through whatever is about to come your way.

KnittingNat
07-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Oh, Mason... I've been hoping it's something less serious :pout: We're crossing fingers for you here and sending you lots of positive thoughts :hug:

kellyh57
07-06-2008, 01:06 PM
:hug::hug:

I hope it is as minor as you are saying!

Kelly

mks22300
07-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Pat in Ca
07-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Sorry you are having to go through this Mason..my thoughts and prayers are with you...The good news is that you caught it early enough and it sounds like they have an excellent treatment plan..
Sounds like you have a great Dr..and of course have loads of support and love from everyone here to get you through this..

Debkcs
07-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Mason, I've worked with patients after they've had this surgery done. Not a piece of cake, but certainly not the worse thing you can face in oncology. Will you please let us know as soon as the doc lets you know? We tend to worry about you.

saracidaltendencies
07-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm so sorry to hear, Mason. I hope it's not too serious and can be taken care of quickly. My thoughts are with you. :hug:

davespurl
07-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh Mason that does suck! :gah: Glad to hear you are trying to keep a positive attitude for the most part. That's about all you can do for now, but know that I'm sending you positive thoughts and wishing you the best!

Hang in there! :hug:

Mariblue
07-06-2008, 03:05 PM

mare-nitt
07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Mason, sorry to hear about this. Any kind of cancer is not a good kind, keep on it, and bite it in the butt.
Keep your sassiness, that is a good tool against lifes ups and downs. ;)

cindycactus
07-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Dang Mason. I am so sorry to hear this. I am glad you got to the Dr. as soon as you did. I will be adding you to my list of people I am praying for. It seems to get longer every day. Just heard about a really good friend who has throat cancer. He is 55. :muah::pray:

kristaj
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Way to go with the positive attitude! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

jdee
07-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm so sorry, Mason. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

bambi
07-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I was really hoping that you would say that the doc got all the margins with the biopsy. I'm really sorry to hear about it.

I hope that the surgery alone will be all that is necessary but I bet they will want to do an adjunct therapy as well. I suppose you will have to await the biopsy results and consults until a plan is formulated for sure. I wouldn't tell mom yet, either.

I don't know how you could have found it any faster if you just found it with shaving your head.

You will be in my prayers and PLEASE keep us updated, friend.

:hug: Crossed Fingers

Bambi

Doodknitwit
07-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Mason, we all love you too! You are a huge part of our entertainment daily. You are a source of inspiration. You just keep on trying, no matter what the stumbling blocks are.

As a member of my family, I will keep you in my prayers constantly and hope that you have an easy time with this. It's early, you have a good doctor and you have a positive attitude so you WILL fight and you WILL win!

Keep us in the know please.

Hugs to you my friend.

Amen! you add a bright humor to my day!! hugs, prayers to you, my friend.

Jeremy
07-06-2008, 11:42 PM
My very best wishes and prayers for you.

scout52
07-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh Mason I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you. :hug: :hug: :hug: Please keep us updated. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Knitting_Guy
07-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I don't know how you could have found it any faster if you just found it with shaving your head.
Well, the truth is that I've had that place on my head for a couple of years. I always thought it was just a mole. It seems to have grown quite a bit since last Summer which is what got my attention.

Ronda
07-07-2008, 07:29 AM
I don't even know what to say except that I'll be praying for you.

PurlyGyrl
07-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Well, crap, Mason. I was hoping it would turn to be just a big freckle! You will be in my thoughts and prayers:hug:

figaro
07-07-2008, 08:51 AM
That sucks! I will keep sending you positive thoughts! :grphug:

Jaxhil
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM

I am so sorry to hear this, Mason! I hope they can get it taken care of ASAP, and you'll certainly be in my thoughts and prayers!

CountryKitty
07-07-2008, 12:56 PM
EEEEK! Mason, honestly, I KNOW you pride yourself on going the extra distance in everything you do....but that doesn't have to apply to medical conditions!

Seriously tho', Warm wishes and prayers headed your way---and get that thing taken care of ASAP!

evona
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Mason - My thoughts are with you!!!!!!!! Please be sure to get treatment as soon as your insurance kicks in. :hug: :hug: :hug:

jodstr2
07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Mason,
I'm rarely on this site these days but I saw this thread and wanted to wish you positive thoughts and good wishes.

Denise in Michigan
07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
As gingerbread said "we are a very big family". She is right. You are like our wandering brother with all of the great stories. I will be thinking of you. You know we will all be here.
Angel
Gingerbread and Sewing Angel are right on target. All your sisters and brothers here are with you.

losnana
07-07-2008, 02:23 PM
:hug: :hug: :muah: :muah:

twoxover
07-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Mason-
you've become near and dear to my heart...my dad is a retired truck driver, and like you, did long distance.

you've got all of my good thoughts, prayers, mojo and karma. what can we do to help?

betsey

dustinac
07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
:hug: :heart: :hug:

auntcrafty
07-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Mason ~ you are in my thoughts and prayers while you take care of your health and wait for your insurance to kick in.

Eccie
07-08-2008, 10:08 AM
:hug: I'm sorry to hear this, I hope everything works out all right.

MaryB
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
:grphug: :grphug: :grphug: :grphug: :grphug: :grphug: :grphug: :grphug:
The prayers and good wishes of many knitters seem to be with you----add me to the list of people who are praying for you.
You have a great attitude and that is a good start to healing.

KnitClickChick
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Sending thoughts and prayers your way, Mason. Keep your positive attitude, I believe that is a large part of beating the odds. I know you'll get through this!! :hug:

Tropicflower24
07-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't know where you stand with herbs for medicinal purposes, but my family and I use them alot. There is a book.... Lemme see if I can find this for you.

K, here it is; http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Salves-Botanical-Approach-Treatment/dp/1556432704/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215563385&sr=8-2

If you can get it at a library somewhere, that's probably a better idea.... It's really expensive. But this book is a tresure trove of knowledge. You have to be pretty unbiased tho. Nothing strange or anything, but for those only comfortable with western meds, it can be a bit different.

I'm not sure the effects of BVT with Cancer, but I know it helps with MS.... My mom has MS, and she uses BVT.

I have several family members battling this, and I will be praying for your healing.

Spikey
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Mason. I do hope that all of it can be safely resected.

threesmom
07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I have to hand it to you, Mason, for keeping such a positive attitude! - I'd be a ridiculous mess ... probably even before the diagnosis. Keep that healthy attitude - it can be a big help. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts:hug:

Silver
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
So, you didn't think being a big tuff truck driving male knitter was enough of an attention getter?

My thoughts are with you Mason. I believe you that it's not as serious as some brain cancers, but still. :hug:

snowbear
07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Know you're in my thoughts & prayers. Keep us informed. Know that your cared for. Big Hugs....

newamy
07-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm sorry about your news. I hope you are able to maintain your good attitude and humor.

We are all thinking of you and hope you can keep on truckin' (and knittin').

Shandeh
07-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Those poor nurses have no IDEA how much teasing they're gonna get from you. :teehee:

Hang in there....I'll be praying! :pray: