PDA

View Full Version : Northeast US Oddball Baby Blankets

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Shandeh
07-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Hello friendly charity knitters and crocheters!

We work together to make Oddball Baby Blankets for charity. Our blankets will be made according to the requests of our local hospital(s), so keep watching this thread to see our guidelines.

Suziehomemaker (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=8515) will be the leader for the Northeast Region Oddball Baby Blankets.

The Northeast Region includes: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

If you would like to volunteer to help make our blankets, please send Suziehomemaker a private message, and she'll help you get started!

Our project will begin in August, so let's start our plans!

Spikey
07-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Greetings to all Northeast Knitters & Crocheters!

Sandy has set the bar extremely high but, with help from gmmarton (who has graciously offered to assist with blanket delivery) we can go a long way toward keeping loads of Northeast babies warm! :woohoo:

Plans are still in the early stages, but we'll likely start with worsted weight blankets, before branching out into preemie (DK/sportweight) blankets, if that's ok with everyone.

I'll post info here as decisions are made. All input is welcome! :grphug: We'll need knitters for the blankets, of course, and volunteers who might be willing to crochet borders. Please PM me if you are interested.

Once we are well up and rolling, I'll try to put together a website where we can keep track of the blankets. Any advice from computer-savvy KHers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

ETA-thanks to the inspiration from The.Knitter, I've created a blog to track our blankets http://northeastoddball.blogspot.com/

The.Knitter
07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
If you look on my signature, you will see where I have my blog listed. This is where I show pictures of blankets as they come to me, welcome new members, list finished blankets and post their pictures. You could try setting up a blog there if you wanted to.

Good luck with your new venture!

Spikey
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
In honor of our region, our first blanket will be called the Nor'easter :cheering:, with pretty blues and whites of the skies and the ocean, and maybe a little stormy gray in there, too. :teehee:

We only need two more knitters and our first blanket will be all set for its August start, including a crocheted border. Thanks to those who have PMed me already!

gmmarton will be delivering our worsted weight blankets to the Pediatric Center at Bridgeport Hospital in Bridgeport, CT.

We have a tentative plan for preemie blankets (DK/sportweight) to go to the Philadelphia area, and I'll post an update once we have confirmation.

Thanks to all! :woot:

Shandeh
07-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Go Northeast! :happydance:

Spikey
07-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Way to go Northeasters! Our first blanket has a full complement of knitters! :happydance:

Nor'easter
Spikey
gmmarton
threesmom
LilHuskiesFootballMom
onb4050
kellee0302 (has also offered to crochet our border)

I'll get it started as soon as I get some needles (Shandeh is sending us a supply), so it will be ready to send out on our official start date.

For our second blanket, how about calling it August, to honor the 'birth month' of our new group?

I read that Peridot is the modern birthstone for August, and it can range in color from "light yellow-green to the intense bright green of new spring grass to olive". Sounds like gorgeous colors for a blanket to me!!!

Who's interested?

Thanks to all for your enthusiasm! Let's keep Shandeh's momentum going, and make her proud :mrgreen:

Shandeh
07-10-2008, 02:36 AM
I'm proud already. cloud9

Spikey
07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Woo hoo! We have a new knitter in our group. Welcome sarahbean!:grphug:

Also, LilHuskiesFootballMom, who has previously worked on larger blankets, has volunteered to help us with our baby blankets!

Thanks to both of you, and to all of the other terrific knitters who have signed up.

Already, our second blanket only needs two more knitters! :woohoo:

Spikey
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Gang,

Is anyone interested in designing a button for our group, like the ones below, that we can use to link to our thread?

Thanks!!!

threesmom
07-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Welcome sarahbean and Footballmom!

I can't do a button, but I did have an idea for another blanket once we get rolling - how about Mermaid Tails - lots of teals, blues, greens, purples, pinks? (I was looking at my stash ... the idea just came to me ...:aww: ) I'd be happy to start it whenever....

Spikey
07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks, threesmom! That sounds like a great idea for a blanket, with some gorgeous colors! :muah:

If you'd like to start it that would be terrific. I'd love to work on it, too.

Do you have a needle from a previous project? If not, I can send you one once I get our supply from Shandeh. Otherwise, if you want to start it on your own needle, and send it to me on waste yarn, I'll add the needle.

Who else is interested in Mermaid Tails?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Way to go Northeasters! Our first blanket has a full complement of knitters! :happydance:

Nor'easter
Spikey
gmmarton
threesmom
LilHuskiesFootballMom
onb4050
kellee0302 (has also offered to crochet our border)

I'll get it started as soon as I get some needles (Shandeh is sending us a supply), so it will be ready to send out on our official start date.

For our second blanket, how about calling it August, to honor the 'birth month' of our new group?

I read that Peridot is the modern birthstone for August, and it can range in color from "light yellow-green to the intense bright green of new spring grass to olive". Sounds like gorgeous colors for a blanket to me!!!

Who's interested?

Thanks to all for your enthusiasm! Let's keep Shandeh's momentum going, and make her proud :mrgreen:

I'm game for both!

also with the Nor'easter.... lots of purples in the ocean too, esp at sunrise and sunset (I grew up in Portland, Maine....)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-13-2008, 12:15 AM
mermaid tails sounds really pretty, i think I have some yarn in those colors in my stash upstairs (shhhhh! dh doesn't know about the yarn in the under the bed storage totes up in our bedroom! LOL!)

I have some size 8 twenty nine inch circs so if someone would like me to start one I can (they're susan bates, I hate the Boye ones i have!).

We could also do one in fall colors as well "autumn in the northeast" It's no secret we have the most gorgeous foliage! :)

Spikey
07-13-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm game for both!

also with the Nor'easter.... lots of purples in the ocean too, esp at sunrise and sunset (I grew up in Portland, Maine....)

Thanks, LHFBM. I'll put you down for August and for Mermaid Tails! :knitting:

The purple would look stunning with those other colors. Great suggestion!

Spikey
07-13-2008, 09:28 AM
mermaid tails sounds really pretty, i think I have some yarn in those colors in my stash upstairs (shhhhh! dh doesn't know about the yarn in the under the bed storage totes up in our bedroom! LOL!)

I have some size 8 twenty nine inch circs so if someone would like me to start one I can (they're susan bates, I hate the Boye ones i have!).

We could also do one in fall colors as well "autumn in the northeast" It's no secret we have the most gorgeous foliage! :)

No one here would ever snitch about stash! :teehee:

Thanks so much for volunteering! We'd love to have you start a blanket. :happydance: That sounds like a perfect needle size. Autumn in the Northeast is a lovely title, and conjures up such beautiful images.

How about if you start that one? You'll have several knitters before you on each of the other blankets we've already planned, so you shouldn't get too many at one time. I'd love to work on it, too.

gmmarton
07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Spikey,

Please add me to the list of knitters for "Mermaid Tails" and "Autumn in the Northeast." Thanks!:

Lisa1216
07-13-2008, 09:40 AM
I'd like to join the list of knitters! I live in central NY. Just add me on the list for any of the blankets and I'd be happy to help out. I knit on the Oddball blanket #3.

Sorry if this has been posted already....what are the specifics of the blankets? Acrylic only? How big are they going to be and how much are we each knitting? Thanks! I'm looking forward to helping out!

Spikey
07-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks, gmmarton! I'll put you both.

Would you mind being last on Mermaid Tails and possibly doing a border?

What a fabulous team we have! :woot:

Spikey
07-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I'd like to join the list of knitters! I live in central NY. Just add me on the list for any of the blankets and I'd be happy to help out. I knit on the Oddball blanket #3.

Sorry if this has been posted already....what are the specifics of the blankets? Acrylic only? How big are they going to be and how much are we each knitting? Thanks! I'm looking forward to helping out!

Hi and welcome, Lisa1216! :hug:We are always thrilled to have new knitters!

Please send me PM with your address and let me know if you knit (like me) or knit and crochet (like many of our talented folks) and would be willing to help with crocheted borders, if needed.

We haven't actually reposted instructions yet, so those are a great questions. Our plan right now is to use the model that Shandeh set up for the oddball baby blankets, detailed instructions for which can be found here: http://oddballknitters.blogspot.com/ Just scroll down to the post for worsted weight baby blankets.

In a nutshell, our blankets will come already on a needle, and you should knit 4 inches in a soft, 100% acrylic yarn in the colors of the blanket's theme. When you are finished, or almost finished, with your part, contact me and I'll contact the next knitter and see if she/he is ready.

Written instructions will also accompany each blanket, and they'll be on our blog, too. If you ever have any questions, you can post them here, there are lots of helpful knitters available - or send me a PM.

Thanks!!!

gmmarton
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I can be last on Mermaid Tails and will do the border as well. Thanks, Spikey!

sarahbean
07-13-2008, 07:35 PM
that sounds like a really cool idea!:thumbsup: i would love to help with the mermaid tails one and the autumn one i have some lovely multicolored yarn with lots of those mermaid color!!!!!!!!
by the way i forgot to tell you spikey, but i can crochet one type of border

Welcome sarahbean and Footballmom!

I can't do a button, but I did have an idea for another blanket once we get rolling - how about Mermaid Tails - lots of teals, blues, greens, purples, pinks? (I was looking at my stash ... the idea just came to me ...:aww: ) I'd be happy to start it whenever....

Spikey
07-13-2008, 09:03 PM
that sounds like a really cool idea!:thumbsup: i would love to help with the mermaid tails one and the autumn one i have some lovely multicolored yarn with lots of those mermaid color!!!!!!!!
by the way i forgot to tell you spikey, but i can crochet one type of border

Thanks, sarahbean! :yay: I'll put you down for both!

Spikey
07-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow! I am on cloud9 from the enthusiasm and great ideas coming from our group. You all make my job SO easy! Thanks to those who are continuing from our nationwide group and to those who have newly joined us.

We already have FIVE blankets planned, each with nearly a full slate of knitters! :woohoo:

Here is the current list (also on the blog):

Nor'easter (ocean blues, white sky, sunset/sunrise purples) Spikey
gmmarton
threesmom
LHFBM
onb4050
kellee0302 (will also crochet a border)

August (shades of peridot green)
Spikey
gmmarton
kellee0302
LHFBM
[needs one more knitter]
sarahbean (will also crochet a border)

Garter Garden (garden colors, all garter stitch)
Spikey
gmmarton
lisa1216
sarahbean
[needs two more knitters, plus a border]

Mermaid Tails (teal, blue, purple, green, pink)
threesmom
Spikey
LHFBM
sarabean
[needs one more knitter]
gmmarton (will also crochet a border)

Autumn in the NE (fall leaf colors)
LHFBM
Spikey
sarahbean
gmmarton
[needs one more knitter]
lisa1216 (will also crochet a border)

Thanks to all of you! To make sure that no one gets overloaded. I've posted on Ravelry to help increase our numbers, and will look for NE threads in Knitters Knear You.

I can't wait to start! I hope to have an instruction sheet on the blog soon, too.

Go Northeast! :woot:

Shandeh
07-14-2008, 03:20 AM
:notworthy:

onb4050
07-14-2008, 07:30 AM
I'd like to work on the Autumn blanket!!

onb4050
07-14-2008, 07:34 AM
I'll also like to work on the garter garden. And I can do the border too!

threesmom
07-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Spikey, you can add me wherever you need - I've got colors for August and Garter Garden for sure. :mrgreen:

As for the needle for Mermaid Tales, I'll start it on one of mine, and sent it on scrap yarn to you. That way you don't have to worry about sending a needle out to me.

Five blankets already!! I'm excited! Thanks Spikey!!

Spikey
07-14-2008, 09:22 AM
I'd like to work on the Autumn blanket!!

I'll also like to work on the garter garden. And I can do the border too!

You've got it! Thanks! :heart:

Spikey
07-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Spikey, you can add me wherever you need - I've got colors for August and Garter Garden for sure. :mrgreen:

As for the needle for Mermaid Tales, I'll start it on one of mine, and sent it on scrap yarn to you. That way you don't have to worry about sending a needle out to me.

Five blankets already!! I'm excited! Thanks Spikey!!

Excellent! I've put you on both. :happydance:

Thanks for taking the lead on Mermaid Tales.

kellee0302
07-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Wow! I am on cloud9 from the enthusiasm and great ideas coming from our group. You all make my job SO easy! Thanks to those who are continuing from our nationwide group and to those who have newly joined us.

We already have FIVE blankets planned, each with nearly a full slate of knitters! :woohoo:

Here is the current list (also on the blog):

Nor'easter (ocean blues, white sky, sunset/sunrise purples) Spikey
gmmarton
threesmom
LHFBM
onb4050

Spikey
gmmarton
kellee0302
LHFBM
[needs one more knitter]

Spikey
gmmarton
lisa1216
sarahbean
[needs two more knitters, plus a border]

threesmom
Spikey
LHFBM
sarabean
[needs one more knitter]

LHFBM
Spikey
sarahbean
gmmarton
[needs one more knitter]

Thanks to all of you! To make sure that no one gets overloaded. I've posted on Ravelry to help increase our numbers, and will look for NE threads in Knitters Knear You.

I can't wait to start! I hope to have an instruction sheet on the blog soon, too.

Go Northeast! :woot:

You can add me to autumn ne. I have the perfect color

Spikey
07-14-2008, 10:36 AM
You can add me to autumn ne. I have the perfect color

I will happily drop out of Autumn in the NE, and let you take my spot, as we were already FULL! Can you believe it?

Any ideas for another?

sarahbean
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
could this be our button???49106

Spikey
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
sarahbean, that is so cool! Thanks for your hard work!!!!!

One concern is that the words might be too small when we have to shrink it down to button size.

What does everyone think?

sarahbean
07-14-2008, 11:50 AM
i would be happy to change it in whatever way needed. if anyone has any suggestion of changes or additions please post them!

gmmarton
07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
How about going with a Rainbow/Neon like we've done before? Not that original, of course, but the blanket sure do have "pop" to them!

Spikey
07-14-2008, 01:54 PM
How about going with a Rainbow/Neon like we've done before? Not that original, of course, but the blanket sure do have "pop" to them!

Great idea! I love all of the Rainbow Blankets! :inlove:

We could do a whole batch of Rainbow Blankets with all sorts of variations on the theme, with garter, seed, stockinette, blocks, etc. Also the neon and pastel versions. :grphug:

What do you think, Northeasters?

sarahbean
07-14-2008, 02:00 PM
i love it! we could just be using whatever yarn we have!

kellee0302
07-14-2008, 03:21 PM
How about a blanket that is all white, for all the snow we see in the Northeast. I could start this one if you'd like.

sarahbean
07-14-2008, 03:41 PM
maybe it could be mostly white wit a couple of rows of bright colors for kid's clothing in the snow and to brighten it up a bit

Spikey
07-14-2008, 06:08 PM
How about a blanket that is all white, for all the snow we see in the Northeast. I could start this one if you'd like.

That sounds beautiful, kellee0302! :hug:What would you like to call it?

In the other oddball group, we had done a preemie blanket in all white, called cloud nine. It was one of my favorites. It looked so pretty with all of the white yarn in different stitch patterns.

It would be terrific if you wanted to get it started on your needle (probably in the size 7-9 range). Then, if you send it to me on waste yarn, I can put it on one of the needles that Sandy is sending.

Anyone else interested?

Spikey
07-14-2008, 06:10 PM
maybe it could be mostly white wit a couple of rows of bright colors for kid's clothing in the snow and to brighten it up a bit

How about if we do both? :knitting:

In the other group, we had a blanket called Patriotic Party, which was done in red, white, and blue. We could do something similar, or come up with another theme that would include white?

Would you like to start this blanket, sarahbean? If not, I'd be happy to start it.

What would you like to call it?

gmmarton
07-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Spikey, and other Northeast knitters,

I worked on the blanket called "Patriotic Party." It was very cool...I also worked on the all-white blanket. Very beautiful to look at, though I'm just wondering about the practicality of an all-white blanket. Anyway, I'd like to start something red, white, and blue. I have a Marine back in Iraq for the third time now, and this particular blanket is very symbolic for me. I will also start a Rainbow blanket, though I should go back and look at the colors needed to complete our rainbow! Let me know! Remember, I'm on vacation for a few more weeks!!! :woohoo:

Spikey
07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Spikey, and other Northeast knitters,

I worked on the blanket called "Patriotic Party." It was very cool...I also worked on the all-white blanket. Very beautiful to look at, though I'm just wondering about the practicality of an all-white blanket. Anyway, I'd like to start something red, white, and blue. I have a Marine back in Iraq for the third time now, and this particular blanket is very symbolic for me. I will also start a Rainbow blanket, though I should go back and look at the colors needed to complete our rainbow! Let me know! Remember, I'm on vacation for a few more weeks!!! :woohoo:

gmmarton - thank you to you and your Marine for all that you have done and continue to do! :muah::hug::grphug: :woot:Many wishes that your Marine comes home safe, sound, and soon.

Sounds like we should do another rendition of Patriotic Party. Since we're still in July, maybe we should call it Independence Day. What do you think, sarahbean? Is that ok with you?

Spikey
07-14-2008, 07:23 PM
I will also start a Rainbow blanket, though I should go back and look at the colors needed to complete our rainbow! Let me know! Remember, I'm on vacation for a few more weeks!!! :woohoo:

I thought a separate post might make it easier to read...

Sounds like gmmarton would like to start Northeast Rainbow. Is that title ok with you?

For those who haven't done one of these before, we do the colors of the rainbow in order, all in the same stitch. How about if we start with garter stitch?

So we'll need knitters for:
Red - gmmarton
Orange - kellee0302
Yellow - lisa1216
Green - stitchermom (ravelry)
Blue - Spikey
Purple - threesmom

This might not need a crocheted border, as it should look pretty neat and clean in all garter.

I am happy to do the blue or the purple, but want to give others a chance, too. :thumbsup:

Any other Rainbow lovers out there?

gmmarton
07-14-2008, 08:34 PM
I'll definitely start with red, and all garter...

threesmom
07-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Ooo-ooo:waving: Can I do purple? I've worked on a couple rainbows, but have never finished one. I'd love to do the last leg on a blanket.

I'm a little worried about all white too, but it sounds so pretty. :heart: Plus, baby things are made to get dirty, no matter what they start out as - it just means they are loved. And I remember spit up fading pretty nicely into white ...:teehee:

Anyway, if we end up doing it, you can add me on:mrgreen:

Spikey
07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Ooo-ooo:waving: Can I do purple? I've worked on a couple rainbows, but have never finished one. I'd love to do the last leg on a blanket.

I'm a little worried about all white too, but it sounds so pretty. :heart: Plus, baby things are made to get dirty, no matter what they start out as - it just means they are loved. And I remember spit up fading pretty nicely into white ...:teehee:

Anyway, if we end up doing it, you can add me on:mrgreen:

You crack me up :roflhard:...spit up fading into white...

Of course you can do the purple! We'll have lots of last legs for you to work on, if you'd like.

kellee0302
07-15-2008, 07:54 AM
That sounds beautiful, kellee0302! :hug:What would you like to call it?

In the other oddball group, we had done a preemie blanket in all white, called cloud nine. It was one of my favorites. It looked so pretty with all of the white yarn in different stitch patterns.

It would be terrific if you wanted to get it started on your needle (probably in the size 7-9 range). Then, if you send it to me on waste yarn, I can put it on one of the needles that Sandy is sending.

Anyone else interested?

I was thinking Blizzard. I actually have size 8 needles that I will send on. I no longer need them.

gmmarton
07-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Blizzard sounds good, but I don't want to push it! I like the warm weather much better than the cold! :teehee:

Lisa1216
07-15-2008, 08:51 AM
All of these blankets sound great! I have some white Caron SS at home, so I could help out on the white one or pick a color for me and I'll do part of the rainbow.

Is Caron Simply Soft what most people are using?

sarahbean
07-15-2008, 10:03 AM
i love tie Independence Day idea!!!!:heart: :thumbsup: :happydance:
I was thinking that the white and rainbow one could be called Fun in the Snow. I would love to start it but I would need needles and I have to go get white yarn, so I wouldn't be able to start it right away

gmmarton - thank you to you and your Marine for all that you have done and continue to do! :muah::hug::grphug: :woot:Many wishes that your Marine comes home safe, sound, and soon.

Sounds like we should do another rendition of Patriotic Party. Since we're still in July, maybe we should call it Independence Day. What do you think, sarahbean? Is that ok with you?

How about if we do both? :knitting:

In the other group, we had a blanket called Patriotic Party, which was done in red, white, and blue. We could do something similar, or come up with another theme that would include white?

Would you like to start this blanket, sarahbean? If not, I'd be happy to start it.

What would you like to call it?

Spikey
07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I was thinking Blizzard. I actually have size 8 needles that I will send on. I no longer need them.

Blizzard is a perfect name! Thanks so much for offering your needle, we'll make sure it gets back to you! :muah:

Blizzard sounds good, but I don't want to push it! I like the warm weather much better than the cold! :teehee:

Me, too, but maybe knitting a Blizzard in August will keep us from overheating ;)

All of these blankets sound great! I have some white Caron SS at home, so I could help out on the white one or pick a color for me and I'll do part of the rainbow.

Is Caron Simply Soft what most people are using?

Thanks, Lisa1216! Caron SS is a good choice. We are using 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn, so other options include Lion Brand Microspun, Red Heart Soft Yarn, and Bernat Satin. There is also supposed to be a nice yarn from "I Love This Yarn", but I think you may only be able to get it at Hobby Lobby.

You can also use some baby yarns, holding two strands together at the same time. Just make sure it's about the same thickness as worsted weight when you knit with it.

Since you already have the white, I'll put you on Blizzard. If you buy one of the remaining rainbow colors, let me know. You still have plenty of time to get on lots of blankets.

Spikey
07-15-2008, 10:48 AM
i love tie Independence Day idea!!!!:heart: :thumbsup: :happydance:
I was thinking that the white and rainbow one could be called Fun in the Snow. I would love to start it but I would need needles and I have to go get white yarn, so I wouldn't be able to start it right away

Thanks! Since you are the last knitter on August, how about if you use the needle from that blanket? That will give you plenty of time to get yarn and think about what other colors you want in "your" blanket. :)

Alternatively, you could start the blanket on a needle you have at home (any size that's good for worsted weight yarn, but we typically use US7-9), and put the last row on a length of waste yarn and send it to me that way. I'll put it on one of the needles that Shandeh is sending for our group to use.

sarahbean
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
That sounds great! I will used the needles from August!:thumbsup:

Thanks! Since you are the last knitter on August, how about if you use the needle from that blanket? That will give you plenty of time to get yarn and think about what other colors you want in "your" blanket. :)

Alternatively, you could start the blanket on a needle you have at home (any size that's good for worsted weight yarn, but we typically use US7-9), and put the last row on a length of waste yarn and send it to me that way. I'll put it on one of the needles that Shandeh is sending for our group to use.

onb4050
07-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I LOVE the blizzard!! Please sign me up for working on it!!

Spikey
07-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Great, thanks! Would you be willing to do the border, too? Hope that is not too much too ask!

onb4050
07-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I'll do the border too- its not a problem!

kellee0302
07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
I can do the orange for northeast rainbow

Spikey
07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Great! Thanks, kellee0302.

Spikey
07-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Northeast Knitters!
You are such a giving, wonderful group :grphug:
Our knitters include (in the order you came on board):
gmmarton
onb4050
kellee0302
threesmom
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
sarahbean
lisa1216
SteveDallas

It is a great testament to all of you that the nine of us have managed to commit to eight blankets already - and we haven't even started yet!

Which is why I am a bit reluctant to post this, but it is such exciting news that I wanted to share it with all of you :woot:

This may be premature but the Special Delivery Unit at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia would love to be the recipient of any preemie blankets that we make. For those not familiar, this is a brand new, first-of-its-kind center specifically built in to allow women carrying babies with congenital heart disease or other serious congenital malformations, as well as women whose babies undergo surgery before they are even born! They are doing amazing, life-saving work. More information is available here: http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/generic.jsp?id=85487 (sorry, don't know how to make pretty links :aww:)

My main concern is overloading our small, but supremely dedicated group, but I did not want to pass up this great opportunity. What do you all think about doing preemie blankets, too?

I'll do my best to recruit more knitters especially for this project from our region through postings on Knitters Knear You and relevant groups on Ravelry.

One other really cool thing is that they asked if we could help them find local knitters who could teach some of their patients to knit. They get the occasional patient who is on prolonged bedrest, either after fetal surgery or because of premature labor. They do have a nurse/midwife who knits, and I'm usually around, but they might need more folks willing to show someone how to knit from time to time. They'll get the supplies. Any South Jersey/SE PA knitters interested?

Sorry for the long post. What does the group think? As long as we can get more knitters, are we willing to add preemie blankets?

Thanks! :muah:

gmmarton
07-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi Northeast Knitters!
You are such a giving, wonderful group :grphug:
Our knitters include (in the order you came on board):
gmmarton
onb4050
kellee0302
threesmom
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
sarahbean
lisa1216
SteveDallas

It is a great testament to all of you that the nine of us have managed to commit to eight blankets already - and we haven't even started yet!

Which is why I am a bit reluctant to post this, but it is such exciting news that I wanted to share it with all of you :woot:

This may be premature but the Special Delivery Unit at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia would love to be the recipient of any preemie blankets that we make. For those not familiar, this is a brand new, first-of-its-kind center specifically built in to allow women carrying babies with congenital heart disease or other serious congenital malformations, as well as women whose babies undergo surgery before they are even born! They are doing amazing, life-saving work. More information is available here: http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/generic.jsp?id=85487 (sorry, don't know how to make pretty links :aww:)

My main concern is overloading our small, but supremely dedicated group, but I did not want to pass up this great opportunity. What do you all think about doing preemie blankets, too?

I'll do my best to recruit more knitters especially for this project from our region through postings on Knitters Knear You and relevant groups on Ravelry.

One other really cool thing is that they asked if we could help them find local knitters who could teach some of their patients to knit. They get the occasional patient who is on prolonged bedrest, either after fetal surgery or because of premature labor. They do have a nurse/midwife who knits, and I'm usually around, but they might need more folks willing to show someone how to knit from time to time. They'll get the supplies. Any South Jersey/SE PA knitters interested?

Sorry for the long post. What does the group think? As long as we can get more knitters, are we willing to add preemie blankets?

Spikey,

I think the contact you made warrants our attention and support. This is an ideal opportunity for us to "step up to the plate" and do our best to make some Preemie Blankets for those in need. I'm in!!

Shandeh
07-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Wonderful work, everyone! :thumbsup:

onb4050
07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm up for the preemie blankets but I'm just a little concerned because I have pets - cats and dogs and even though I can knit where they aren't, there is always pet hair somewhere in my house!! Are the blankets washed before being donated?

Spikey
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Spikey,

I think the contact you made warrants our attention and support. This is an ideal opportunity for us to "step up to the plate" and do our best to make some Preemie Blankets for those in need. I'm in!!

Thanks so much! We'll work to get lots of help, and we'll make only as many as we can reasonably manage.

Wonderful work, everyone! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I'm up for the preemie blankets but I'm just a little concerned because I have pets - cats and dogs and even though I can knit where they aren't, there is always pet hair somewhere in my house!! Are the blankets washed before being donated?

Thanks for your willingness to help! I have cats, too, so I know how you feel. I will wash all of these blankets in baby laundry detergent before I take them in.

sarahbean
07-16-2008, 03:12 PM
i'm sure i could help and it is good that you are washing them! :)

kellee0302
07-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I will help out with the preemie blankets too.

threesmom
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I'll help out with preemie blankets too, and I posted in the local thread - I'd love to help out teaching some moms to knit. It got me through all my post-baby-ness. And I was lucky to have normal births, and only had to deal with the emotional mess. As long as it is something I can schedule, I'm all for it.

Spikey
07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the fabulous response! :cheering:

We've already got seven knitters willing to work on preemie blankets, and it hasn't even been 24 hours since I posted! :thud:You guys are awesome!

Here are our preemie knitters so far:
Spikey
gmmarton
onb4050
sarahbean
kellee0302
bobi1218 (from Ravelry!)
threesmom

Also, we may have a crocheter from Ravelry who wants to make blankets for our cause. :yay:

Instructions can be find on Shandeh's sticky (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79558) at the top of thread, and will be included in with each blanket, just like our worsted weight blankets.

What should we call our first preemie blanket?????

Lisa1216
07-17-2008, 08:05 AM
I can also help on the preemie blankets!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-17-2008, 11:34 AM
i can do preemie blankets. I've already started the Autumn in New England one too...

Do they accept quilts as well? I've become addicted to quilting...

Spikey
07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
i can do preemie blankets. I've already started the Autumn in New England one too...

Do they accept quilts as well? I've become addicted to quilting...

Thanks, LHFBM! Can't wait to see how Autumn turns out.

I've contacted them to inquire about quilts. I'll let you know when I hear back. Someone from Ravelry asked me about crocheted blankets, too, so hopefully they'll be open to all hand-made items.

Spikey
07-17-2008, 03:25 PM
What do folks think of calling our first preemie blanket Special Delivery, in honor of the Special Delivery Unit?

I have some nice varigated DK yarn in pastels that I can use to start. We could just use pastel/baby colors to get the first one rolling.

Let me know what you all think.

Also, Momwolf has designed some terrific buttons for the Southeast group, here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81573). Should we try to make something similar? Or see if she would make some for us?

SteveDallas
07-17-2008, 11:04 PM
:waving: Throw my name in for the preemies.

Spikey
07-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Good Morning!

For our first preemie blanket, I've added knitters in the order you expressed interest, does this work for everyone? The preemie blankets only take five knitters.

Special Delivery
Spikey
gmmarton
onb4050
sarahbean
kellee0302

kellee0302, would you like me to find someone else to crochet the border?

We already have enough folks interested to start a second preemie blanket:woohoo:

(second preemie blanket) Ideas?
Spikey
bobi1218 (from Ravelry)
threesmom
lisa1216
LHFBM

If anyone can't work on these, just let me know, as we have more knitters in the wings (thanks, stevedallas). :cheering:

I'll get started on these after the first batch of worsted weight blankets go out on August 1st, so no one should be getting too many at once.

We'll always check with you to see if you are ready, before sending a blanket your way. If you get too busy, just let me know and we can mix up the order, no problem.

I'll update the lists on the blog as well.

Have a great weekend, Northeasters! Stay cool!

kellee0302
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
no problem I can crochet the border

Spikey
07-18-2008, 10:11 AM
btw - I've also updated the blog (http://northeastoddball.blogspot.com/) with blanket progress! :happydance:

Spikey
07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Please help me welcome stitchermom from Ravelry! :grphug:

She'll be doing the green section on our Northeast Rainbow, and is very excited to help out on our third preemie blanket.

Ok, Northeasters, any ideas for our second and third preemie blankets? I was thinking Pastel Rainbow for #2, which would mean:
Spikey (pink)
bobi1218 (ravelry)(peach)
threesmom (yellow)
lisa1216 (green)
LHFBM (blue)
stevedallas (lavender)

Will those colors work for everyone? Anyone need to swap? I'll check with bobi1218.

Any suggestions for a name/theme for preemie blanket #3?

The West Coasters were thinking of using some of their state nicknames for blankets. This is a great idea to borrow :teehee:
We are actually already doing "Garter Garden", so that could represent New Jersey.

Spikey
07-19-2008, 05:14 PM
To help keep things organized, I've started another blog (http://northeastpreemie.blogspot.com/) just for the preemie blankets.

For now we can keep to one thread, but this will make it easier for folks to follow blanket progress. :cheering:

Both blogs have links to each other, and can also be found in my sig.

Anyone had a chance to think about a button? Should we go with the one sarahbean suggested, something similar to what Momwolf designed for the Southeast group, or something different altogether?

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-20-2008, 04:11 AM
blue works for me, any of the colors would as i think i may already have them in my stash (and if i don't, oh darn, i have to go yarn shopping! LOL!!!!)

for the autumn blanket, i'd gotten the inspiration from the Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald song "Autumn in New York"

Spikey
07-20-2008, 09:47 AM
blue works for me, any of the colors would as i think i may already have them in my stash (and if i don't, oh darn, i have to go yarn shopping! LOL!!!!)

for the autumn blanket, i'd gotten the inspiration from the Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald song "Autumn in New York"

Perfect! We can make that our NY blanket. :)

I found a list of state mottoes and nicknames (the italicized one is the officially adopted nickname) that should give us loads of ideas for future blankets:

Connecticut - "He who transplanted sustains", Constitution State, Land of Steady Habits, Nutmeg State, Provisions State

Delaware - "Liberty and Independence", Diamond State, First State, Land of Tax-Free Shopping (my personal favorite, it's on all of the signs when you drive into DE :happydance:), Small Wonder, Blue Hen State or the Blue Hen's Chicken

Maine - "I direct", The Border State, Down East, Pine Tree State, Vacationland

Maryland - "Manly deeds, womanly words" :roflhard: (sorry, Marylanders, not laughing at you, just your state's motto), Cockade State, Free State, Monumental State, Old Line State, Terrapin State, Crab State

Massachusetts - "By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty", Bay State, The Commonwealth, Colony State, Old Colony, Taxachusetts

New Hampshire - "Live Free or Die", Granite State, Mother of Rivers, White Mountain State

New Jersey - "Liberty and prosperity", Garden State, The Crossroads of the Revolution, The Tomato State, First State Lite (Because the first light bulb was invented in Menlo Park)

New York - "Ever upward", The Empire State

Pennsylvania - "Virtue, Liberty, and Independence", Liberty Bell State, Independence State, Keystone State, Quaker State

Rhode Island - "Hope", Little Rhody, Ocean State, Plantation State

Vermont - "Freedom and Unity", Green Mountain State

Of course, we don't have to use these, but if we get stuck for names down the road, we always have the list. I'll put it on the blogs, too.

gmmarton
07-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Spikey and Northeast friends,

I've been thinking about CT's names...nothing jumps out at me when you talk "Nutmeg" or "Constitution" state. Maybe something related to Long Island Sound instead...like my vanity license plate...we could "Save the Sound" in blues, greens, beiges/taupes...maybe a brown for the seaweed on our shores? Even white would do for the occasional whitecaps during a storm...

I'd be happy to start that one in worsted weight on 8's...:knitting:

Anyone want to "Save the Sound?" with me? :wink:

Gail

Spikey
07-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Sounds gorgeous! :inlove: I just ordered some brown Caron SS yesterday.

I'm in. Thanks, gmmarton!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-20-2008, 03:59 PM
If you need help with Maine, then let me know, i grew up there (moved away when i was 18)

big things: the beach, portland (esp. the old port and the whaling wall)..

Spikey
07-21-2008, 02:20 PM
If you need help with Maine, then let me know, i grew up there (moved away when i was 18)

big things: the beach, portland (esp. the old port and the whaling wall)..

Thanks, LHFBM! We'll have to do some Maine-y brainstorming.

Way to go Northeasters!!! :woohoo:Right now, we've got TEN named baby blankets (most of which have a full slate of committed knitters) and three preemie blankets, which should keep all of us busy, at least for a little while.

As we each get inspired, or finish a blanket, we can think new themes & names.

Our starter package came from the wonderful Shandeh today, with enough needles and yarn to get us started. :cheering: A huge thanks to Shandeh for her generosity!

Shandeh
07-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Yay! I'm glad you got the package.
Have fun with the yarn and needles, my friends! :muah:

sarahbean
07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
i :heart: the state ideas!!! just wanted to say that i am glad that everything is going so well and we already have so many blankets to be made!!! :happydance: :X:

threesmom
07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I love the state idea too! I know we have Garter Garden, which can work for NJ, but if we want to do another dedicated Jersey blanket, I'd be happy to start it - lifelong Jersey-ite that I am. I was thinking ...umm - black, brown, and gray for asphalt, turnpikes, and smokestacks, maybe? Just kidding ...

We could do bright summer umbrellas at the beach, or pastels like salt water taffy, farm fresh ... maybe tomatoes, corn, zucchini? I could probably think of more positive things, but we got our tax bill today, and our taxes went up something like 20% this year:shock: This silly little state.

Oh, and I'd help "Save the Sound" too. Great name!

Spikey
07-22-2008, 08:47 AM
black, brown, and gray for asphalt, turnpikes, and smokestacks, maybe? Just kidding ...

We could do bright summer umbrellas at the beach, or pastels like salt water taffy, farm fresh ... maybe tomatoes, corn, zucchini?

Thanks, threesmom, for the suggestions. As a former Jersey girl myself, I loved your ideas, especially Farm Fresh.

Maybe we could do an all red blanket and call it Jersey Devil! :twisted:

Salt Water Taffy is a good preemie blanket idea, like we did in the main group.

Spikey
07-22-2008, 09:19 PM
What would you all think of having our worsted weight blankets be two slightly different sizes? :think:

gmmarton and I were thinking that the hospital might appreciate getting some slightly larger blankets for toddlers or older children.

But we certainly don't want people to have to do more work. :knitting::guyknitting:

So what we were thinking is to keep the blankets done on size 7 & 8 needles at 4 inches per knitter, while those on sizes 9 & 10 would be 5 inches per knitter. We'd wind up with a blanket that is 6 inches longer (and maybe we'd make it a little wider, say 10 stitches or so), without much extra work because of the larger needle sizes.

What do you all think? Thanks for your input! :muah:

kellee0302
07-23-2008, 09:44 AM
sounds good to me

Lisa1216
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Sounds fine with me too!

threesmom
07-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Me too!

Spikey
07-24-2008, 08:53 AM
:woohoo:Please help me welcome three terrific knitters from Ravelry who have joined our group, stitchermom (http://www.ravelry.com/people/stitchermom), spinningcrna (http://www.ravelry.com/people/spinningcrna), and tuxedocat (http://www.ravelry.com/people/tuxedocat).

If you have a moment, please pop over to Ravelry and help them feel welcome, either on the Northeast Oddball Knitters thread (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/oddball-blanket-knitters/259782/1-25#11) or via PM. :hug:

Have a great day! :heart:

onb4050
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm game for the larger blankets. Do you think 10 stitches wider is enough? Seems like it should be more.

Spikey
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks, onb4050. How about if we wait and see how the first few go?
10 stitches on a #10 should be a noticeable difference from a #7. The 8 & 9 might be more similar. We can always play around with width...typically we cast on anywhere from 90-110 stitches, so there is quite a bit of variability anyway.

Spikey
07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
:woot:Please help me welcome Emerald, who will be working on preemie blankets with us!

Can't wait until August 1st, this Friday, :cheering:when we can get started on our blankets :teehee:

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

threesmom
07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Welcome to all the new knitters! How exciting how much we are growing!

I'm just about done with Mermaid Tales, so I'll be all set for the first mailing! :cheering: I just can't believe it's almost August already - where does the summer go?

Spikey
07-28-2008, 07:24 PM
carlyd (http://www.ravelry.com/people/carlyd) from Ravelry was unbelievably generous enough to send me all of this yarn for our group to use! :woohoo:It is all DK/sportweight, so we'll be set for preemie blankets for quite some time.

I'll mail out as much of it as I can, when I send out blankets. Any particular color requests?

If you are inclined to send thanks, carlyd's thread (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/charity-knitting/262335/1-25#16) is on the Charity Knitting group page on Ravelry.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-28-2008, 08:23 PM
works for me

Shandeh
07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Yay!!! What a wonderful gift!! :cheering:

gmmarton
07-29-2008, 06:23 AM
We're looking for 4 more Northeast Oddball knitters who would like to work on Preemie Blanket #4, Rainbow Sherbert. I'm casting on with soft pink, and was thinking we'd go more for sherbert-looking colors (soft green, soft yellow, cream, etc.), and not necessarily follow the order of the rainbow. Anyone interested? Please let us know! :hug:

threesmom
07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
What a wonderful donation!:heart:

Here's the beginning of Mermaid Tales - the color in the pic is not the actual color though - it's a dark teal, not blue ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/2713497055_af38147e21.jpg

I'd be happy to help on Rainbow Sherbert too:waving:

Spikey
07-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Beautiful! Thanks, threesmom, for our first picture.:balloons:

Shandeh
07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Ooooo....I like the pattern you used for Mermaid Tales! :inlove:

SteveDallas
07-30-2008, 12:38 AM
:woot:Please help me welcome Emerald, who will be working on preemie blankets with us!
I should say that Emerald is my daughter, who has seen the two blankets I've gotten so far and wants in on the fun! :cool:

Spikey
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Hi Northeasters! :muah:

Since the West Coasters have clearly jumped the gun, and threesmom was kind enough to break the ice, gmmarton and I decided to post the pics we've been collecting of the blankets that have been secretly started and circulating ahead of our August 1st start date :teehee:

Here's Nor'Easter, done with a ripple stitch, to look like whitecaps: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/2716032023_a7913e9174_o.jpg

Here's August, done with Embossed Diamonds stitch, to look like Peridot gemstones:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2716035237_80fe4ac8d1_o.jpg

Here's Special Delivery, our first preemie blanket, done in Garter Rows Rib, with a close up of the stitch pattern, which I love:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2716038881_f55f63d052_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2716041875_8464189312_o.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of Garter Garden before sending it on to gmmarton, but hopefully she has a pic of her completed portion, which is ready to head out to Lisa1216!

Our super speedy knitter, gmmarton, has also finished her portion of Northeast Rainbow, which will be heading to kellee0302 soon!

I've cast on for Independence Day, and gmmarton has cast on for Save the Sound and Rainbow Sherbet :woohoo:

We are rolling, people!!!! :grphug:

threesmom has shown us her gorgeous work on Mermaid Tails, I can't wait to get that and add another stunning color! What a great idea for a color palette. :happydance:

Anyone else have blanket news or pics to share?

gmmarton
07-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, thanks, Spikey! I've got two to share! "Garter Garden," done in garter stitch, was mailed out to Lisa1216 this morning. Delivery Confirmation #: 0306 0320 0001 5129 8440.

I also mailed out "The Northeast Rainbow," also done in garter on worsted weight, to Kellee0302. Delivery Confirmation #: 0306 2400 0000 8915 6248.

What fun!

Thanks for posting the photos of the other blankets. I can't wait to see what's coming in the mail! :woot:

Lisa1216
07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Well, thanks, Spikey! I've got two to share! "Garter Garden," done in garter stitch, was mailed out to Lisa1216 this morning. Delivery Confirmation #: 0306 0320 0001 5129 8440.

:cheering: I'll keep an eye out for it!!:cheering:

threesmom
07-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I sent out Mermaid Tails yesterday to you, Spikey -
Delivery confirmation - 0103 8555 7493 8530 2291

Thanks for all the great pictures! - I can't wait to start seeing these in real life!

Shandeh
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Lookin' good! :thumbsup:

kellee0302
07-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Oddball blanket Blizzard is ready to be shipped to the next knitter. Just let me know when you're ready. Spikey I believe you are next.

Spikey
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Oddball blanket Blizzard is ready to be shipped to the next knitter. Just let me know when you're ready. Spikey I believe you are next.

Excellent! I am ready. I'll PM you my address.

Mermaid Tails arrived today!:woot:The picture does not do it justice. The color is gorgeous. Thanks so much, threesmom, for the beautiful stitch markers :muah:

gmmarton
07-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Spikey,

I received the two Oddball Baby Blankets in the mail yesterday. They look great! Thanks so much for the yarn. I will post pictures before my next mailing!

Spikey
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Welcome MotherHenKnits (http://www.ravelry.com/motherhenknits) from Ravelry. :woohoo:She has worked on Oddball blankets in the past, and is ready to jump back in to the fun pool.

She'll be the second knitter on Save the Sound and the fourth knitter on Rainbow Sherbet (preemie).

Spikey
08-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Good Morning! :hug:Happy Official Start Day! :woot::woohoo:

With all of the great progress :knitting::guyknitting:we've been making, it seemed time for an update on all of our blankets.

Worsted Weight Blankets:

Nor'easter (ocean blues, white sky, sunset/sunrise purples)
Spikey (done)
gmmarton (working)
threesmom
LHFBM
onb4050

Spikey (done)
gmmarton (working)
threesmom
kellee0302
LHFBM

Spikey (done)
gmmarton (done)
lisa1216 (waiting for arrival)
sarahbean
threesmom
onb4050 (will also crochet a border)

threesmom (done)
Spikey (working)
LHFBM
sarabean
spinningcrna (Ravelry)

LHFBM (working)
sarahbean
gmmarton
kellee0302
onb4050

Blizzard (all white)
kellee0302 (done)
Spikey (waiting for arrival)
threesmom
lisa1216
bobi1218 (from Ravelry)
onb4050 (will also crochet a border)

Independence Day (red, white, blue)
Spikey (working)
mismizz
SteveDallas
gmmarton
[needs two more knitters]

Northeast Rainbow (all garter)
Red - gmmarton (done)
Orange - kellee0302 (waiting for arrival)
Yellow - lisa1216
Green - stitchermom (from Ravelry)
Blue - Spikey
Purple - threesmom

Fun in the Snow (white and primary colors)
sarahbean
Spikey
(needs four more knitters)

Save the Sound (blues, greens, white, taupe, brown) - Our Connecticut Blanket
gmmarton
suziehomemaker
threesmom
Spikey
(needs two more knitters)

Preemie Blankets:

Special Delivery (pastel colors)
Spikey (done)
gmmarton
onb4050
sarahbean
kellee0302

Pastel Rainbow
Spikey [pink]
bobi1218 (from Ravelry) [peach]
threesmom [yellow]
lisa1216 [green]
LHFBM
stevedallas [lavender]
(needs a crocheter for a border)

[B]Salt Water Taffy (taffy colors)
Spikey
Stitchermom (Ravelry)
stevedallas
Emerald
tuxedocat (Ravelry)
(needs a crocheter for a border)

Rainbow Sherbet (soft pink, soft green, cream, soft yellow)
gmmarton
threesmom
suziehomemaker
(needs two more knitters and a border)

That's it for now, but we have lots more great ideas in the wings! Have a great weekend everyone! :cool:

suziehomemaker
08-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Welcome MotherHenKnits (http://www.ravelry.com/motherhenknits) from Ravelry. :woohoo:She has worked on Oddball blankets in the past, and is ready to jump back in to the fun pool.

She'll be the second knitter on Save the Sound and the fourth knitter on Rainbow Sherbet (preemie).
Thanks! I'm Motherhenknits on Ravelry but Suziehomemaker here. I'm glad to be involved with the Oddball projects again!

Shandeh
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a wonderful bunch of blankets! :thumbsup:
Good luck to you all! :muah:

Oh! And BE GOOD to your new leader! She needs your love and support and patience as she deals with all of your needs.
:wink:

gmmarton
08-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Angela, It is great to see your name on the list for the NE Oddball Blankets. I'll be sending you something soon! G.-

Shandeh
08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks! I'm Motherhenknits on Ravelry but Suziehomemaker here. I'm glad to be involved with the Oddball projects again!
Welcome back!! :woohoo:

Spikey
08-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Oh! And BE GOOD to your new leader! She needs your love and support and patience as she deals with all of your needs.
:wink:

Thanks, Shandeh. We have a fabulous group :grphug:. Their support and enthusiasm make my job easy!

You set up such a great system, all I need to do is follow in your footsteps, and not screw up :roflhard:

Lisa1216
08-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Just a quick update...I received the Garden Garter blanket yesterday. (our internet was down so I'm sorry I couldn't post sooner) I had a family reunion to go to today which was about 3 hours away, so I worked on it in the car and already have about 3 inches done! It is a very pretty blanket so far. Reminds me of spring colors! I should be done with it in the next few days...I'll let you know.

Thanks Gail for the beautiful yarn! I love it! The color reminds me of rainbow sherbert! :heart:

Have a great weekend everyone!

Shandeh
08-03-2008, 09:27 PM
You set up such a great system, all I need to do is follow in your footsteps, and not screw up :roflhard:
If you only knew how many problems I had to work through, you wouldn't WANT to follow in my footsteps. :teehee:

I'm sure you'll do an EXCELLENT job. :thumbsup:

Spikey
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Our :guyknitting:extraordinaire, SteveDallas, has offered to LEARN crochet, to be able to add a border to Salt Water Taffy. :cheering:

Can any of our fabulous crocheters recommend some websites that have directions and ideas for borders that would complement our preemie blankets? Maybe I can even learn, too, if the directions are particularly simple :teehee:

Thanks!

gmmarton
08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I can mail out some visuals that I've picked up...they actually make sense! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!). Also, check out KnittinMitchie because she has online courses, and I believe Crochet is one of them. If nothing else, she would be an excellent resource for learning more about Crochet.

gmmarton
08-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I finished my section of NE Oddball Baby Blanket, August and will be mailing it out this morning. I used the Double Moss Stitch in Caron's Simply Soft Dark Sage worsted weight yarn to continue our theme.

gmmarton
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I finished my section of NE Oddball Baby Blanket, Nor'Easter, and will be mailing it out this morning. I used the Farrow Rib Stitch in Caron's Simply Soft Country Blue to mimic the waves rolling in during a storm here on Long Island Sound. Of course, the waves are never symmetrical in real life, but then again, I tend not to be out on the water during a Nor'Easter anyway! :teehee: Spikey's white caps say it all!

gmmarton
08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I finished my section of the NE Preemie Oddball Baby Blanket, Rainbow Sherbert, and will be mailing it out this morning. I used the Waffle Stitch in Bernat's Softee Baby DK yarn called Baby Pink Marl to start our rainbow/sherbert theme.

suziehomemaker
08-04-2008, 09:49 AM
All three blankets are just beautiful!

gmmarton
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
August, Nor'Easter, and Rainbow Sherbert are traveling together from CT to threesmom's house.

Delivery Confirmation #: 0306 2400 0000 8915 6361.

Happy knitting! :knitting:

Spikey
08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
They are all gorgeous! :inlove: You've been a busy knitter, gmmarton.

I'm just being a lazy so-and-so, down at the beach :roflhard:

Spikey
08-05-2008, 09:58 AM
The executive director of Special Delivery Unit at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (the recipient of our preemie blankets) LOVES the idea of each preemie blanket arriving with a little journal.

I've found 3x5" spiral bound notepads at my local CVS, that have brightly colored plastic covers and only cost 99 cents. The best part is that they are super lightweight, so they shouldn't increase our mailing costs :happydance:

As before, when you are writing your section, please remember that not all of these families will be taking home a healthy baby, or (sadly) a baby at all. Also, please do not make any religious references.

They are very interested to hear about the yarn you chose, the stitch pattern you chose, where you are from, why you like to knit on these types of projects, etc.

I've started one for Special Delivery and will get one to gmmarton and threesmom to add their sections, for Rainbow Sherbet.

onb4050
08-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Spikey,
You can sign me up on Independence Day and Fun in the Snow
Thanks!;)

Spikey
08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Spikey,
You can sign me up on Independence Day and Fun in the Snow
Thanks!;)

Excellent! Thanks!

threesmom
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
:cheering: I got a box 'o blankets in the mail today! As pretty as they look in pictures, they look even better in real life. I really like the pink in rainbow sherbert, gmmarton - so pretty and soft. And thank you SO MUCH for the beautiful yarn - if I didn't suddenly have so much knitting to do, I'd be all about finding a pattern for it:teehee:

Woo-hoo! Let the knitting begin!

Shandeh
08-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Spikey, you can find some journals very cheap at dollar stores, Walmart, Michaels, and AC Moore. Sometimes at Walmart, you can get a pack of 3 journals for 99 cents! :)

Spikey
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks, Sandy. I'll have to check that out next time I'm at Michaels. That gives me a good excuse to go :teehee:

Spikey
08-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Blizzard was waiting for me in my mailbox when I arrived home today. :happydance:

Thanks, kellee, for the great yarn. That is the exact shade I need to make washcloths for my Aunt and Uncle. I was just asking my cousin what color the master bath in their new house is, and you got it spot on!

kellee0302
08-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Blizzard was waiting for me in my mailbox when I arrived home today. :happydance:

Thanks, kellee, for the great yarn. That is the exact shade I need to make washcloths for my Aunt and Uncle. I was just asking my cousin what color the master bath in their new house is, and you got it spot on!

glad you can use the yarn.

gmmarton
08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
And I'll look for some little journals when I'm in Wal-Mart today! Thanks for the tips, Sandy!

Spikey
08-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi there,

Was looking at our lists, and the great progress we are making:woot:

It looks like we should start at least one more preemie blanket, as we only have one spot left on one blanket!

What do you all think? Cotton Candy, Sweet Dreams, Just Ducky, Neon Fun, Fluffy Clouds, Powder Puff, Pink Power, Soft Hugs, Lemon Drops, Bubblegum, Tutti Fruitti, and Forest Greens are all names that the main group has used in the past (thanks, gmmarton, for compiling the list :muah:)

Who'd like to get one started? It should be on size 6 needles. I can send some out if people need, or you can use your own and send it to me on waste yarn.

gmmarton
08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Spikey,

I can start a Preemie on 6's...I've got the needles. How about calling it Tutti Frutti? Soft yellows, soft pinks, white, soft blue...I've got the ideal yarn to start it with...it just came in the mail yesterday. Let me know! Thanks!

sarahbean
08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
i've actually seen yarn that was called tutti fruti, i used it to make an amazing blanket and it was yellow with reds, pinks, and blues

Spikey
08-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Spikey,

I can start a Preemie on 6's...I've got the needles. How about calling it Tutti Frutti? Soft yellows, soft pinks, white, soft blue...I've got the ideal yarn to start it with...it just came in the mail yesterday. Let me know! Thanks!

That would be GREAT! Thanks! :heart:

i've actually seen yarn that was called tutti fruti, i used it to make an amazing blanket and it was yellow with reds, pinks, and blues

Does that mean you are in, sarahbean? ;)

Who else is in?

:cheering: Also, we have another new knitter from Ravelry! CabinGirlPA is going to be the last knitter on Rainbow Sherbet! :woohoo:

What a great group! :grphug:

gmmarton
08-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Tutti Frutti and Save the Sound have been started. I will try and finish them today and post them tomorrow. If not then, then next Wednesday as I will be traveling during the next few days.

Spikey
08-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Mermaid Tails is on its way to LilHuskiesFootballMom. Delivery conf 0307 1790 0004 3433 0332. Sorry it's not a great picture. I took it with my new blackberry (which I hate, and am returning).

Caron SS in purple, Parallelogram Check, which was supposed to look like fish scales, but not so much :mrgreen:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2156/2743427953_4daa6e1616_m.jpg

Special Delivery is on its way to gmmarton. 0307 1790 0004 3433 0325 :happydance:

Lisa1216
08-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Sarahbean~The Garter Garden blanket is on it's way to you!
Confirmation # 0307 1790 0000 2428 7459.
I kept feeling like I was forgetting something, and now I know...I never took a picture of it! :oops: Sorry everyone. Sarah, hopefully you can post a pic once you're done. Thanks!

MAmaDawn
08-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Our :guyknitting:extraordinaire, SteveDallas, has offered to LEARN crochet, to be able to add a border to Salt Water Taffy. :cheering:

Can any of our fabulous crocheters recommend some websites that have directions and ideas for borders that would complement our preemie blankets? Maybe I can even learn, too, if the directions are particularly simple :teehee:

Thanks!

Hey I was just looking at your blankets (they look WONDERFUL!) and saw this...

Here (http://www.nexstitch.com/v_single_crochet.html)is the site I learned from, the videos are pretty good.

sarahbean
08-08-2008, 08:18 PM
i would be happy to take a pic of it before and after i worked on it
can't wait for it to come!!!!
:thumbsup: :happydance: :thumbsup: :X:

Sarahbean~The Garter Garden blanket is on it's way to you!
Confirmation # 0307 1790 0000 2428 7459.
I kept feeling like I was forgetting something, and now I know...I never took a picture of it! :oops: Sorry everyone. Sarah, hopefully you can post a pic once you're done. Thanks!

threesmom
08-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I've got yarn that would work for Sweet Dreams, I think, and one that would work for Cotton Candy - or Tutti Frutti. I'd be willing to start one, or you can add me to Tutti Frutti - or both. As long as nothing else arrives in the next few days, it's good:mrgreen:

Spikey
08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks SO much, Beth! :hug:You'll be the second knitter on Tutti Frutti.

gmmarton is :knitting: speedily knitting her little fingers to the bone up there, churning out blankets while she is still on summer vacation :teehee:, so we should probably hold off on starting another preemie blanket until we get a few more knitters for this one. LilHuskiesFootballMom is going to start one as well, but the needle won't arrive for a few days at least.

Anyone else interested in helping out on Tutti Frutti? I'll post on Ravelry, too.

Spikey
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Way to go, Northeasters! :grphug:

Tutti Frutti
gmmarton
threesmom
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
stitchermom (ravelry)
Spikey (will also attempt to crochet a border :oo: thanks for the inspiration, SteveDallas)

Pastel Rainbow is ready to go to bobi1218 (ravelry) and Salt Water Taffy is ready to go to stitchermom (ravelry). :woot: I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Lisa1216
08-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I received the Rainbow blanket yesterday!! I need to go buy some green yarn for my part. :cheering: I love buying yarn!!

Thanks Kellee for the yarn. I've been on a dishcloth kick lately and I love the colors!

Have a great weekend everyone! :)

Spikey
08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Our Salt Water Taffy preemie blanket is on its way to stitchermom from Ravelry. :happydance:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/2752959923_4318e78a30.jpg

Done with Bernat Softee Baby in Pink, Double Seed Stitch
Our Pastel Rainbow Preemie Blanket is on its way to bobi1218 from Ravelry. Same yarn, garter stitch.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.flickr.com/photos/14610782@N05/2752959923/%22%20title=%22Salt%20Water%20Taffy%20all%20by%20S pikey67,%20on%20Flickr%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/2752959923_4318e78a30.jpg%22%20width=%22500%22%20h eight=%22125%22%20alt=%22Salt%20Water%20Taffy%20al l%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E

sarahbean
08-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Got home today, and there was the blanket waiting for me! i was so excited. i took a picture, then started working on it right away. thanks sooooo much for the yarn, I LOVE IT! :heart: here is the pic without what i have done

Spikey
08-11-2008, 05:56 PM
That looks great! Love the color choices.

sarahbean, are you on ravelry? Are you able to post a picture here and there when you are done? If not, I can post it over there. Thanks!

threesmom
08-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I finished up Rainbow Sherbet Preemie Blanket last night:cheering: I used a pale yellow for lemon - my favorite! I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Spikey
08-12-2008, 11:53 PM
mdc550 from ravelry, has crocheted an entire preemie blanket to add to our efforts! :cheering: She has also expressed an interest in helping us with borders when we need it.

She took great pains to make the holes as tiny as possible. Here's a corner of her beautiful work. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2757641053_c25c5f1fb1_m.jpg

If you are on Ravelry, please help me welcome her :hug:on the Northeast Oddball Knitters Thread (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/oddball-blanket-knitters/259782/26-50#37).

Shandeh
08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble2/1.gif

gmmarton
08-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I mailed out "Tutti Fruitti," a Northeastern Preemie Oddball Baby Blanket, to threesmom this morning. I worked in Bernat's Softee Baby's Tutti Fruitti in the Farrow Rib stitch. Delivery Confirmation # is as follows: 0306 2400 0000 8915 6286. I didn't take a picture because there was just too much activity happening here today!

Spikey
08-14-2008, 07:09 PM
:woohoo:mdc550, who crocheted that beautiful blanket, lives not far from me. We'd made arrangements for her to drop it in my mailbox, at her convenience.

I'd stopped at the end of my driveway on the way home from work tonight, to pick up the mail, and a car pulls up, asking if this is "XX" road. I said yes, and she indicated she was looking for number "XX".

Me: "mdc550?"

Her: "Spikey??"

What a coincidence! I never see anyone on my road, and rarely get the mail, as DH works from home and almost always picks it up.

It was SO nice to meet a fellow member of our group. She was so lovely, and the blanket is even more beautiful in person.

I hope to someday have the chance to meet all of you, if you are ever in the Philadelphia area, or if I am ever traveling through your neck of the woods. :hug:

gmmarton
08-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I mailed out Save the Sound, our Connecticut-themed Northeastern Oddball Baby Blanket, to SuzieHomemaker this morning. I worked in Vanna's Choice worsted weight yarn in a color called Linen using thethe Farrow Rib stitch.

Delivery Confirmation # is as follows: 0306 2400 0000 8915 6279. I didn't take a picture because there was just too much activity happening here today!

gmmarton
08-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I mailed out Special Delivery, a Northeastern Preemie Oddball Baby Blanket, to onb4050 this morning. I worked in Moda Dea's Cherish DK yarn, color Ice Mint, and knit my section in the Waffle stitch.

Delivery Confirmation # is as follows: 0306 2400 0000 8915 6262. I didn't take a picture because there was just too much activity happening here today!

Spikey
08-14-2008, 09:18 PM
:notworthy: Wow! gmmarton, you've been busy!!!! I do hope you get to look up from your :knitting:every once in a while to enjoy your vacation while it lasts! :muah:

threesmom
08-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I got a shot of Rainbow Sherbet -

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/2764372906_896b98b5e2.jpg

I'm all set with this one! - Are you ready, LittleHuskiesFootballMom?

threesmom
08-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I mailed out "Tutti Fruitti," a Northeastern Preemie Oddball Baby Blanket, to threesmom this morning. I worked in Bernat's Softee Baby's Tutti Fruitti in the Farrow Rib stitch. Delivery Confirmation # is as follows: 0306 2400 0000 8915 6286. I didn't take a picture because there was just too much activity happening here today!

Whew! For a second, I thought I had the same color for this blanket! But I checked - I have Bernat Softee Baby Candy Baby - tricky little names.:teehee: I'll keep an eye out!

Spikey
08-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm all set with this one! - Are you ready, LittleHuskiesFootballMom?

Yes, she has confirmed that you can send it along.

LHFBM is working on Mermaid Tails, and will also have Autumn in the Northeast ready to out to Sarahbean by the end of next week! :happydance:

threesmom
08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
I just finished up with August. I used Red Heart Soft in Guacamole. I used a little checker stitch.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2765976599_830cf6cdf3.jpg

Are you ready, Kelle0302?

gmmarton
08-16-2008, 08:41 AM
The blanket looks great! Nice stitch...

Spikey
08-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Beautiful job, threesmom! Great color choice and great stitch!

suziehomemaker
08-16-2008, 01:58 PM
gmmarton - I received Save the Sound this afternoon. Thanks so much for the yarn! I love the stitch pattern that you used. I can't wait to get started on it tonight.

threesmom
08-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I got Tutti Frutti yesterday! Thanks so much for the yarn, gm - I can't wait to try it out - so soft! It'll be perfect for one of these blankets one of these days!

suziehomemaker
08-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Save the Sound is ready to travel again. Unfortunately I'm headed to Puerto Rico for a couple days for business. I can mail it out sometime on Thursday of this week. I'll post an updated picture then too.

Spikey
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks! Great work everyone :cheering: We'll soon have our first completed blanket.

And, please help me welcome TWO more knitters to our wonderful group!!!!

msmizz (here on KH) and bluezuzu on Ravelry. msmizz is going to be the next knitter on Independence Day and bluezuzu is going to check out our open spots and let us know where she can fill a need.

Aren't we all busy travelers this summer? Just got back from NYC last night, heading to a conference south of Pittsburgh on Wednesday, then back to NYC, and some time in Ocean City, MD for Labor Day. Anyone else with fun travel plans?

I'll have lots of knitting time, so I'll be able to start a few new blankets, including Farm Fresh (vegetable colors) and Jersey Devil (all red :twisted:).

Who wants in?

Also LHFBM is going to start another preemie blanket! :happydance: Have you picked a name and color scheme? Anyone interested right off the bat?

onb4050
08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
'Special Delivery' came on Saturday. It is so pretty already! Thank you gm for the pretty yarn - i was tempted to use it on this blanket but decided on something different. I sure will use it on a future oddball blankie though! thanks again - i'll be busy :knitting:

Spikey
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
:woot: Tuxedocat from Ravelry has signed up to help out with Independence Day (now full, but will need a crocheter for a border) and Save the Sound (only needs one more knitter, plus a border).

threesmom
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Woo hoo:cheering: Farm colors AND a Jersey Devil blanket?! They both sound like fun! - the Jersey girl in me can't resist. You can sign me up for both OR either - I don't want to take up a spot someone else might want since I'm on a number of blankies already.

Oh, and a friend of mine has promised to teach me to crochet a border, so I might be able to do one on Rainbow, since I'll have it from doing purple. We'll see how I do with it before I totally commit though.

gmmarton
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Spikey,

I signed up for a few more slots on the blankets mentioned above. Feel free to delete me if you have other (new) knitters who would like to participate. I can also do the border on "Save the Sound," since it is one of the blankets that I will distribute anyway. It is really inspiring to read that so many folks want to learn how to crochet borders...

Spikey
08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
a friend of mine has promised to teach me to crochet a border, so I might be able to do one on Rainbow, since I'll have it from doing purple. We'll see how I do with it before I totally commit though.

Thanks, threesmom! That's great. We can always use more crocheters. No pressure, of course. You can always keep it super simple. The Rainbow one may not even need a border, you can decide when you finish it.

Spikey,

I signed up for a few more slots on the blankets mentioned above. Feel free to delete me if you have other (new) knitters who would like to participate. I can also do the border on "Save the Sound," since it is one of the blankets that I will distribute anyway. It is really inspiring to read that so many folks want to learn how to crochet borders...

Thanks, gmmarton! We can always use enthusiastic and willing knitters like you. I'll let you know if we have a run on knitters, but we seem to be fine for now.

Spikey
08-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Good Morning,
Here's Independence Day, ready to move on to msmizz for a nice red stripe. I used Caron SS in Dark Country Blue and White, and a Star Stitch pattern.

gmmarton
08-20-2008, 05:25 PM
It's adorable!

HollyP
08-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey Northeast! Spikey, Independence day is awesome! :yay: I'm about to start a red white and blue blanket for the Southeast. I know it won't look as good as that. I bow to your knitting abilities!

Spikey
08-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey Northeast! Spikey, Independence day is awesome! :yay: I'm about to start a red white and blue blanket for the Southeast. I know it won't look as good as that. I bow to your knitting abilities!

Thanks, HollyP, and thanks for stopping by our neck of the woods!

You too can do this, it is a super easy stitch, I found it here (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/twocolorstar.htm). My knitting abilities are pretty meager, I've only tried two color knitting a few times on small projects. :aww:

Shandeh
08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Purty! :inlove:

threesmom
08-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Independence looks super!:yay:

I haven't gotten a chance to post the last day or two, but I got Rainbow Sherbet out to LHFBM (conf# 0307 0020 0005 2534 3570)
and I got August out to kellee0320 (sorry if I messed up the numbers after the name!) Conf# 0307 0020 0005 2534 3587

I also finished up with Nor'easter last night - I'll get pictures tomorrow and try to get them posted. Are you ready for this one too, LHFBM?

Shandeh
08-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Hello, my friends! :waving:
I just updated the original Oddball Baby Blanket blog with links to all the blogs for the different regions of our project!
http://babyoddball.blogspot.com/
:muah:

Lisa1216
08-22-2008, 08:04 AM
I have finished the yellow stripe of the Rainbow blanket and it's ready to be sent to the next knitter.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2786053143_95d32a4902_m.jpg

I'll try to get a hold of stitchermom on Ravelry to see if she is ready.

suziehomemaker
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I mailed Save the Sound to threesmom yesterday, delivery confirmation is 0307 1790 0005 5150 1257.

I didn't have time to get a picture though or weave in my ends! My apologies!

Spikey
08-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Great work everyone!!! :cheering:

Farm Fresh is ready for gmmarton. Are you ready for it?

Also, we still need a few more knitters for this blanket. Who's interested?

Am still out of town, but will update the blogs when I get back on Sunday night. Have a great weekend, Northeasters! :hug:

Shandeh
08-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Way to go, Northeast! :cheering:

gmmarton
08-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Yes, I'm ready...so send it on! Thanks, Spikey...

Spikey
08-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks! I'll try to get it out on Monday morning.

pinkbunny
08-23-2008, 06:50 PM
My wedding anniversary and my husband's birthday are both in August. I am happy to knit an August blanket for the cause.cloud9

threesmom
08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I got a picture of Nor'easter - I used SS Plum Heather, I think, in an Oblique Rib stitch - the color for sunsets, the stitch for rain ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2790553707_dfb079d378.jpg

And I can't remember if I posted it or not, but I'd do a section on Farm Fresh:mrgreen:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
I figured out a name for the preemie one i'm working on.... "Tiny Dancer". just girly and feminine... pinks, purples, yellows, greens, etc... and yes, I got the name from the Elton John song :)

sarahbean
08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
mailed out garden garter! sorry, but i forgot to take a pic of it. i got delivery confirmation, but i am in the process of finding the number :)

Spikey
08-25-2008, 08:57 AM
My wedding anniversary and my husband's birthday are both in August. I am happy to knit an August blanket for the cause.cloud9

:cheering:Excellent! We LOVE to have new knitters join us. Please PM me with your name and address and we'll get you added to our team. We currently need knitters most on our Save the Sound and Fun in the Snow worsted weight blankets, as well as our new Tiny Dancer preemie blanket that LHFBM is starting. Check out the blogs for details on colors for each, and let me know which ones you'd like to knit on. You are welcome on any or all! :hug:

I got a picture of Nor'easter - I used SS Plum Heather, I think, in an Oblique Rib stitch - the color for sunsets, the stitch for rain ...

And I can't remember if I posted it or not, but I'd do a section on Farm Fresh:mrgreen:

:inlove: Gorgeous, threesmom! Great color and stitch choices. Love it! I've got you down for Farm Fresh and Jersey Devil.

I figured out a name for the preemie one i'm working on.... "Tiny Dancer". just girly and feminine... pinks, purples, yellows, greens, etc... and yes, I got the name from the Elton John song :)

:woot:Great idea! Love that song! Count me in.

mailed out garden garter! sorry, but i forgot to take a pic of it. i got delivery confirmation, but i am in the process of finding the number :)

Thanks, sarahbean. I still owe you some green worsted weight, I have not forgotten and will send it out this week.

Great work, as always, team!!! :grphug:

While I was away, I've cast on and finished my part of Farm Fresh and an (as of now) unnamed preemie blanket. I'll hold off on recruiting knitters for that until we get knitters for Tiny Dancer. Also, I've cast on and am just about finished with Jersey Devil. That will be done in a day or so, and I can send it and Farm Fresh to gmmarton together. Will post pics when I get home tonight. Too much unpacking, cleaning up, and making up for lost time with kitties when we got home last night...:teehee:

threesmom
08-25-2008, 10:10 PM
I got Save the Sound the other day from SuzieHomaker, and am just about finishing up with it, and got Garter Garden from Sarahbean today. Both are so pretty! I've got to get some pictures... And thank you both for the yarn! Pretty colors!:heart:

Lisa1216
08-26-2008, 09:27 AM
I sent the Rainbow Blanket to Stitchermom today via UPS. The tracking # is 1ZE132960394326473. She should get it on Thursday.

Spikey
08-26-2008, 09:55 AM
As promised, the blogs have been updated, and here are more new pictures!

Also, since LilHuskiesFootBallMom started a preemie blanket for a little girl, I thought my new preemie blanket could be for a little boy. I'd like to call him Bluebird and have him be done in light blues and variegated yarns that have light blue in them. I used Bernat Softee Baby in a nice blue, yellow, and green mix with Reverse Stockinette Ridge Stitch.

Also, here's Farm Fresh. Done with Caron SS in yellow, in Andalusian Stitch, to look like rows of corn :cool:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
you can add me to bluebird... i have some gorgeous baby yarn that's blue verigated (i can't remember what the name of it is, it's red heart baby soft)

Spikey
08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Excellent, thanks! Do you want me to send him on or are you flush with blankets for a bit? I am happy to wait, just say the word.

threesmom
08-26-2008, 09:23 PM
More pictures!

Here's Save the Sound - I used SS something heathered - I can't remember what it is - in moss stitch

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/2801016975_c8d57edcd4.jpg

And here's Tutti Frutti - I used Hurdle Stitch ... because I was watching the Olympics at the time ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/2801016993_499ff75c5d.jpg

LHFBM - I think Tutti Frutti and Nor'Easter are both coming to you - are you ready for them? I can send them out by Thursday if you are.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-27-2008, 12:46 PM
you can send it on

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-28-2008, 01:24 AM
I was futzing around for a few in Paint Shop Pro and since we don't seem to have a button, how about:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/ladykrow/NEUSoddballBabyPreemieAfghans.jpg

what do all of you think?

sarahbean
08-28-2008, 03:11 PM
i love it :)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I also have it smaller, i posted both over at the Ravelry group.

threesmom
08-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I like it!

And I'll get the blankets out to you tomorrow...

Spikey
08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Awesome, you guys! :inlove: Love the blankets, threesmom.

LOVE the button, LHFBM. :cheering:Thanks SO much for making that. It is very much along the lines of what sarahbean had suggested for us, and your size should be nicely legible in our signatures. Great minds think alike, you two!

My only request is, can we please change "afghans" to "blankets"?

What does everyone else think?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-28-2008, 07:06 PM
that's easy to do.... give me about 10 minutes to get it done and uploaded :)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-28-2008, 07:19 PM
here ya go:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/ladykrow/NEUSoddballBabyPreemieAfghans-2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/ladykrow/NEUSoddballBabyPreemieblankets.jpg

Spikey
08-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Please help me welcome two more knitters on Ravelry who would like to join our phenomenal group :woohoo:

momeknits and sunsetknitter

If you are on Ravelry, please pop over to our thread (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/oddball-blanket-knitters/259782/1-25) and help welcome them, as well as bluezuzu who recently joined.

Spikey
08-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Jersey Devil is ready to move on! :twisted:

I try SO hard to keep the kitties away while I am knitting, but our new baby, Luke, jumped up on the couch just as I was about to snap the picture, and I couldn't resist showing him to all of you.

Luke was born as a feral, and we started feeding him around our house last winter. We finally trapped him on our porch about two months ago. He's been neutered and has very nicely transitioned into being an indoor cat. He is such a love :heart:, always wanting his belly rubbed and chirping when he wants attention, which is all the time. He was even helping me type this morning! :teehee:

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Go Northeast! :cheering:

threesmom
08-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Luke is adorable, Spikey! I've recently started feeding a cat outside too - she's come a long way in the last few months with allowing us to pet her and hanging around more, and I've grown ridiculously attached to her. I'd love to transition her in one of these days - I'm just not sure how my indoor cat, 2 dogs and 3 kids in our small spaces will adjust. You give me hope though!

Just FYI - I mailed off a package to you, LHFBM, and another one to Tuxedocat (ravelry). I have the conf # in the other room, and I'll keep them until they arrive safely.

Spikey
09-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Beth. Tuxedocat did receive Save the Sound and she's just about done already! I'm next :woot:Can't wait to see this beautiful blanket that gmmarton started.

Have a relaxing Labor Day everyone!

sarahbean
09-01-2008, 05:38 PM
still waiting on mermaid tails

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-01-2008, 05:51 PM
it'll go out in the mail within the next couple of days, things were crazy the last couple days.

threesmom
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Garter Garden will go out today after I pick up my daughter from school

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2824755605_97d74e546a.jpg

Spikey
09-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Garter Garden looks Great!!!

FINALLY, made it to the post office today! I went on Saturday and it was closed, the whole day :nails:. Then we left town and got back late yesterday.

Farm Fresh and Jersey Devil went out to gmmarton (conf #420 06614 9104 0684 3525 9018 1171 36)

Bluebird went out to LilHuskiesFootBallMom (conf #420 12708 9104 0684 3525 9018 1171 43)

Blizzard went out to threesmom (conf #420 08332 9104 0684 3525 9018 1171 50)

Spikey
09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
:woohoo:(in case you can't tell, I love that little guy).

sarahbean is going to help us as the last knitter on Farm Fresh. She may also be able to do the border for us. :knitting:

What a great team!!! I hope all Northeasters (and everyone from our other regions, too) had a restful and relaxing summer. :muah:

threesmom
09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
"Blizzard" and "Pastel Rainbow" both arrived today. At least, I'm pretty sure that it's them - I just got home from work and put the kids down to bed, so I haven't opened them yet. Rest assured though, that I have received them! And now, I'm going to go work on them:mrgreen:

Spikey
09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi Gang!

I just received Save the Sound from tuxedocat on Ravelry. What a beautiful blanket. And just in time for a long, rainy weekend of knitting.

Stay safe and dry everyone! :cool:

gmmarton
09-05-2008, 06:54 PM
And I just received a package with "Jersey Devil" and "Farm Fresh" inside. Thanks, Spikey, for the cotton yarn...

The blankets are beautiful! I would love to work on them tomorrow during the big storm...hopefully, it won't be too bad up here in southern CT, as I have to make my way out to the airport in New York later in the day. Yikes!!!

Oh, to be able to stay home tomorrow and :knitting:

Spikey
09-07-2008, 02:35 PM
So...I was cleaning :ick: out my 'knitting room' aka a spare bedroom, today, which gave me a chance to review the stash.

It gave me idea for two more blankets. :figureditout:

How about a worsted weight version of Pastel Rainbow? The rainbow blankets are always so pretty, and the all garter stitch goes quickly. I'm happy to do the pink.

We'll need peach, pale yellow, pastel green, pastel blue, and lavender +/- a border.

Also, some of you may remember that we had a worsted weight blanket in the Oddball group called Gorgeous Grapes, done in all shades of purple. It was a beautiful blanket and I was thrilled to add a deep purple section. :inlove:

I use the past tense because it went off a knitter and never returned. :tap: In memory of the departed, I'd like us to do our own.

Anyone interested in these new blankets? I'll post on our Ravelry thread and our blog, too.

Thanks to all for being such a great team! :grphug:

gmmarton
09-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes, yes, please count me in. I never knit on "Gorgeous Grapes," but I love anything purple! As far the rainbow blankets go, well, you just can't have enough of them out there!

If both blankets turn out to be worsted weight, you can make me last and I will crochet a border (if necessary) and then distribute to the Pediatrics Center at Bridgeport Hospital.

Thanks, Spikey! :yay:

MGM
09-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey there! I just found this great place and want to join in on the fun! I posted a comment on the blog, but thought I better jump in here too. How do I get involved in helping with these baby blankets? I knit and crochet, but I don't really care for knitting on circular needles. So I'd like to offer my crochet services for any projects that require them. Or if there is a similar baby blanket project made with crochet, I'd like to get in on that too! You can check out my work on my site over at www.HookedOnNeedles.com (http://www.hookedonneedles.com) if you want to see what I do.

Looking forward to getting involved!

MGM

Spikey
09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Yes, yes, please count me in. I never knit on "Gorgeous Grapes," but I love anything purple! As far the rainbow blankets go, well, you just can't have enough of them out there!

If both blankets turn out to be worsted weight, you can make me last and I will crochet a border (if necessary) and then distribute to the Pediatrics Center at Bridgeport Hospital.

Thanks, Spikey! :yay:

You are the best, as always, gmmarton! They're both worsted weight, so I'll make you last on each, and our border guard :teehee:

Hey there! I just found this great place and want to join in on the fun! I posted a comment on the blog, but thought I better jump in here too. How do I get involved in helping with these baby blankets? I knit and crochet, but I don't really care for knitting on circular needles. So I'd like to offer my crochet services for any projects that require them. Or if there is a similar baby blanket project made with crochet, I'd like to get in on that too! You can check out my work on my site over at www.HookedOnNeedles.com (http://www.hookedonneedles.com) if you want to see what I do.

Looking forward to getting involved!

MGM

Of course, you can play!!!!!

I just replied to your comment on our blog, but thought I'll share the info here as well.

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE when new people want to join in on the fun!

Thanks for your kind words about our site and our group.

Your site, and your work, are beautiful.

We would love to have you help us in any way you can. Several of us swap out the needles on which the blanket arrives for our own preferred needles, then put it back on the circ it came with to send it on. With long enough straights, you could certainly do this, if you were interested in knitting.

We are always looking for folks to help with crocheted borders, as well, as many of us (including me) do not crochet.

We currently still need crocheted borders on Independence Day and Jersey Devil. Are you interested?

[So weird, I can't get JD to go bold...maybe it doesn't like us talking about it :twisted:]

Spikey
09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
tuxedocat on Ravelry has started a new blanket that she would like to call Heather, as she has cast on with a beautiful heather yarn that was given to her by threesmom :grphug:

She would like it to be done in all heathered yarns. Sounds lovely to me, and gives me a great excuse to go yarn shopping, as if I need it :roflhard:

Anyone else interested in Heather?

btw-pink, yellow and lavender are spoken for on worsted weight Pastel Rainbow, which leaves peach, pastel green, and pastel blue. Also, we only need two more knitters for Gorgeous Grapes.

What an awesome group of charitable knitters we have created! :cheering:

gmmarton
09-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Not to be too hoggish here or anything, but if you need a knitter, I will most certainly volunteer to work on the Heather Baby Blanket...

Lisa1216
09-08-2008, 08:58 AM
btw-pink, yellow and lavender are spoken for on worsted weight Pastel Rainbow, which leaves peach, pastel green, and pastel blue.

I would like pastel blue!! You can put me on the list for this one if it's not taken yet!

Spikey
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Not to be too hoggish here or anything, but if you need a knitter, I will most certainly volunteer to work on the Heather Baby Blanket...

You could NEVER be hoggish! :hug: We've got plenty of blankets for everyone to work on, with plenty more great ideas in the wings.

I would like pastel blue!! You can put me on the list for this one if it's not taken yet!

Sorry, but the blue is already spoken for. mdc550 from Ravelry, who crocheted that lovely preemie blanket for us, is going to try her hand at knitting with us. I had trouble getting onto KH this morning, so I checked Rav before I could get on here...

Would you be able to do the peach or pastel green?

onb4050
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Garter Garden arrived at my door on Saturday. It is really pretty an won't take long to knit my part and add a border. Thanks for the yarn - I love the color and I'm sure I will find a use for it in one of my future projects! :-P

Lisa1216
09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry, but the blue is already spoken for. mdc550 from Ravelry, who crocheted that lovely preemie blanket for us, is going to try her hand at knitting with us. I had trouble getting onto KH this morning, so I checked Rav before I could get on here...

Would you be able to do the peach or pastel green?

Either one is fine with me...I just had the blue in my stash, that's all. :thumbsup:

Spikey
09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Either one is fine with me...I just had the blue in my stash, that's all. :thumbsup:

If you can do the peach, that would be super :yay:, as that is a bit harder to recruit for than the green!

And, if you are ready, I've finished the pink portion, and can send it out tomorrow, but no rush.

Thanks!

MGM
09-08-2008, 01:32 PM
You can put me on the list for any borders that need to be crocheted! I'm anxious to help out on my first blanket but haven't gotten my invitation to ravelry yet.

Let me know if there's anything more I need to do.

Thanks!

MGM

Lisa1216
09-08-2008, 01:46 PM
If you can do the peach, that would be super :yay:, as that is a bit harder to recruit for than the green!

And, if you are ready, I've finished the pink portion, and can send it out tomorrow, but no rush.

Thanks!

Send it along! I'll just have to go and see if I can find peach yarn at Michael's. :thumbsup:

Spikey
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
You can put me on the list for any borders that need to be crocheted! I'm anxious to help out on my first blanket but haven't gotten my invitation to ravelry yet.

Let me know if there's anything more I need to do.

Thanks!

MGM

Terrific! :woot:I've got you down to do the borders on Independence Day, Jersey Devil, and the preemie blankets Tutti Frutti & Tiny Dancer.

You'll be rolling in blankets soon! Thanks!

threesmom
09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I can't resist the purples! :heart: If there is still a space on "Gorgeous Grapes" I'd happily fill it! And I have lots of heathers on hand, so I'd take a spot on "Heathers" too. I'd give up a spot to another though, if someone wants it.

Spikey
09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks, Beth! We've got lots of spots to go around. You are fourth on Gorgeous Grapes and last on Heather. We've got a few folks on border patrol, if you don't want to do the border.

Spikey
09-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Pastel Rainbow (worsted weight version) is on its way to lisa1216. Stupid blackberry ate the conf#:grrr:. I can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Sorry I didn't get a pic, but...you know...pink garter (yawn) :teehee:

Lisa1216
09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
:cheering: I'll be on the look out for it!!

Spikey
09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Northeasters!

Please help me welcome pttalbott from Ravelry, who has just joined us this morning! :hug: She has jumped right in to knit on Jersey Devil and Gorgeous Grapes.

If you are a Ravelry member (and if you aren't, get on that list cause you're missing out!), please head over to our thread (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/oddball-blanket-knitters/259782/101-125#reply_form) and extend your welcome, if you are so inclined.

Also, tuxedocat on rav has finished casting on Heather :knitting:. Are you ready for her to send it on, gmmarton? You're next.

gmmarton
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Send it on...I'm ready!

Spikey
09-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Great, thanks! I'll send her your info.

Lisa1216
09-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I received the pastel rainbow today! Thanks Erin for the cotton yarn! :muah: I have some peach in my stash, so I should be able to start on it tomorrow night.

gmmarton
09-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I will be mailing out "Farm Fresh" and "Jersey Devil" on Monday, September 15th...I just couldn't get to the Post Office this morning, but I will definitely post some photos! :cheering:

Spikey
09-13-2008, 06:21 PM
tuxedocat just posted this on ravelry:

Hi, all! Heather went out to gmmarton today. The delivery confirmation number is 0308 0660 0001 3130 9169.
Picture to come later… ;)
Thanks!

threesmom
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM
:waving: Okay - I finally finished with Blizzard and Pastel Rainbow. I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow - had a pretty hectic weekend at work and I'm too exhausted to go camera hunting right now:sleepy: But it looks like you are up next on both, Lisa1216 - are you ready for them???

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Lisa1216
09-15-2008, 07:52 AM
I am half done with my section of the worsted weight Pastel Rainbow blanket, so send them along and I will jump right into them.

sarahbean
09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
recieved special delivery it looks great! thanks for the yarn!!!