PDA

View Full Version : Southwest US Oddball Baby Blankets

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shandeh
07-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Hello friendly charity knitters and crocheters!

We work together to make Oddball Baby Blankets for charity. Our blankets will be made according to the requests of our local hospital(s), so keep watching this thread to see our guidelines.

Secksiebrat (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=11833) will be the leader for the Southwest Region Oddball Baby Blankets.

The Southwest Region includes: Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

If you would like to volunteer to help make our blankets, please send Secksiebrat a private message, and she'll help you get started!

Our project will begin in August, so let's start our plans!

Secksiebrat
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Hiya! I just wanted to say I'm here and I'm in :)

Can't wait for August to start!

~danielle~

Robinknits
07-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I love this region idea! I think it will be a lot more manageable. Count me in here!

KnittinMitchie
07-08-2008, 12:40 PM
count me in I also pm'd ya jjminarcik (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=12919)

jjminarcik
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey y'all :waving: I received PM's from the 3 of you, so I have you on my list!

I am really excited about starting these up again and I look forward to working with all of you! :woot:

I will be out of town for good part of the next few weeks, so I may not be posting very often. But I assure everything will be organized and ready to go. I will keep you all in the loop so we can plan accordingly.

cdjack
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Oh, yea! Count me in as well. I'll pm you.

Shandeh
07-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Go Southwest! :thumbsup:

KnittinMitchie
07-13-2008, 11:41 AM
hi!!

has anyone giving any thought as to what charity we are going to donate the blankets to? or do we want to find different hospitals in each state to donate to the children/Neonatal Intensive care units.

Just wondering.

Secksiebrat
07-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I think we can donate to whichever hospitals we like! HAIN (heavenly angels in need) has a running spreadsheet that gives hospitals from every state that wants/needs blankets/other items. If we don't have any in mind to use currently, we might look at those and pick a couple to donate to.

Just my thoughts :) I'm open, just thought it might be nice to donate to a hospital that's in our "southwest" area!

~danielle~

PS. I am part of HAIN and I can get a couple of the spreadsheet and the donation instructions if we are interested in doing that :)

Secksiebrat
07-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I think we might need to start "dragging in" more knitters! LOL. Maybe others just haven't posted yet, but we need more of us! We must just be all lost in the HEAT!!

~danielle~

KnittinMitchie
07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm all knitting on the blankets and i do borders too :) aren't I talented.

Secksiebrat giving the blankets to HAIN sound like a great idea. I was going to call the 2 hospitals here in town and see if they take blankets or any other items.

does HAIN do just blankets? or can it be other items?

jjminarcik
07-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey y'all! I'm finally back in town after one of my many upcoming trips! It sure is nice to be HOME!

I love the idea of giving the blankets to HAIN - wonderful idea! :cheering:
Danielle - Can you send me the info that you have?

I agree that we need more knitters - otherwise we may not be able to make as many blankets as I would like. :sad: I am trying to recruit one of my knitting friends here in my area. She is out of town and will probably join us later. We do have one other knitter that is a very close friend of mine from college. She lives in Atlanta, so she's out of our region, but wanted to be in my group. I figured we could use the extra knitting hands! :teehee:

Okay, off to organize this project more so. Thank you so much for volunteering - I'm so excited!! :woot:

cdjack
07-15-2008, 10:12 PM
I live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I know that both the Dallas Children's Hospital and the Scottish Rite Hospital both take donated items.

I'll ask the ladies in my lys knit group if they would be interested in helping us with our blankets.

I'll let y'all know.

Secksiebrat
07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I'll look over the spreadsheet and see what hospitals in the
Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas are collecting blankets.

Some hospitals take other items as well. They usually specify what they are looking/needing for. I'll get that info as soon as the website is back up :) They are moving to a new host!

We can pick a couple to donate to and maybe others will want to donate other items (usually they are hats or small gloves that they also want/need).

~danielle~

Shandeh
07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Go Southwest! I'm sure you'll get more knitters signed up when the blankets get started. There's something about seeing those photos of blankets in progress that lights a fire in the soul of knitters. cloud9

lucky_alf2
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
So how many of us are there now? HAIN sounds good, but I also like the idea of giving to my local hospitals too -- maybe we can spread the wealth based on where our knitters are.....

Another thought would be to post an invite to the SW threads in the "Knitters Near You" Forum -- might get a few bites.....

I'm excited about this and honestly a little relieved....the postage always made me feel a little guilty -- that when it was all added up the cost of these various blankets was quite high per blanket and maybe that money would be better spent elsewhere directly helping a charity, despite the fact I like making them....

Adri

KnittinMitchie
07-17-2008, 07:54 PM
i try to mail the blankets the cheapest way possible. I put them in envelopes which save a good bit on postage.

jjminarcik
07-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey fellow knitters/crocheters! :waving:

We now have a blog for our region! Check it out here. (http://southwestoddball.blogspot.com/) I will be posting on the blog often as things develop. It is easy to communicate there with comments, etc. I can add you all on as authors to the blog. If you want to be added, please pm me your email address. :woot:

Here are the knitters that have signed up with me so far:

jjminarcik (me)
Secksiebrat
Robinknits
Knittinmitchie
cdjack
lucky_alf2
stirlinggirl (Ravelry)

If your name is not on this list and you would like to join our group, please PM me.

Our next job - let's start a blanket! I can start it and have it in the mail to the first knitter by August 1. Any suggestions to a theme/color scheme?

Also, since our region is large in size and small in knitters, we may be a little slower in completing as many blankets. We could always have 2 blankets going at once and reverse the order that they go in.

Someone mentioned the idea of donating blankets in each of our own areas. I like that idea - we can take turns donating in our areas.

Please, please let me know ideas. I'm super easy to work with and definitely could not do this without all of you! :heart: :heart:

Thank you all for participating and I look forward to working with you!

Oh, and do any of you know how to create buttons for our signatures? :shrug:

lucky_alf2
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi! Thanks for all the hard work JJ! I like the idea of having 2 blankets going at once, maybe even consider having co-located people knit in order -- it might be fun to hand off personally even -- put a face to a name/id :)

I've never done a button but am fairly computer savvy and think I could do it. I'll take a stab at it this weekend.

What size blankets are we going to do? Or are we going to vary the size depending on what we feel like?

As for colors -- if we have 2 going -- maybe have one be traditional baby colors (boy/girl/gender neutral) and the other be related to an upcoming holiday (Halloween, Fall, Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter White, etc) or some other special theme (fruit loops, greens, seed stitch, etc). Maybe the one who starts the blanket can decide the theme and then have us all take turns starting. Just some ideas.

Lastly, I finished and edged a premie blanket in May and when I was done I found that I was compelled to start a new blanket on the empty needles -- they just kept talking to me, saying how sad and empty they were.....anyways, maybe think about having the last person on the list start the next blanket while they have the needles with them.

Oh, speaking of needles, I recently got KP Options so I have some Boyce's I'd be happy to donate to the cause if they are the right size......

Smiles -- Adri

sgtpam
07-19-2008, 01:30 PM
I live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I know that both the Dallas Children's Hospital and the Scottish Rite Hospital both take donated items.

I'll ask the ladies in my lys knit group if they would be interested in helping us with our blankets.

I'll let y'all know.
You're in my neck of the woods...how and where did you find a LYS with a knitting group? What's the name of the store? I'd like to see if it's close to me. I'm in Saginaw

Robinknits
07-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I've got an idea for a girl's blanket - Pink n Chocolate - Pink, white, and brown.

KnittinMitchie
07-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Robin your blanket idea reminds me of Chocolate covered cherries or strawberries.

for a boy we could do shades of blue. the oddball preemie group did one galled forest green and its ALL shades of green.

jjminarcik
07-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Pink, white and brown - I AM SOLD! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I like the shades of blue idea, too.

How are these ideas for our FIRST blankets? We can have them both going at once.

Mamapaulsel has just completed a blanket and has an empty set of needles. She will be starting our first blanket. Which one would you like to start? I can start the other one.

Thoughts? :shrug:

KnittinMitchie
07-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Pink, white and brown - I AM SOLD! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I like the shades of blue idea, too.

How are these ideas for our FIRST blankets? We can have them both going at once.

Mamapaulsel has just completed a blanket and has an empty set of needles. She will be starting our first blanket. Which one would you like to start? I can start the other one.

Thoughts? :shrug:

Sounds good to me. Please put me near the end of the list.

Secksiebrat
07-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Throw me in wherever I am needed. Since we are small (For the moment atleast) do we only want to have 2 going at a time? If so, I'll wait and start a new blanket when one is completed?

I am making the assumption we will all take turns starting a blanket. With our size, I think 2 going on at once will be a good start. If we get more people we can add more. No reason to overwhelm ourselves!

Since we are all interested in donating to different places, how about the person that starts the blanket can pick the place it is donated to? Whether it's close to home or another organization. Then everyone will be able to donate to a charity they are interested in.

HAIN's website is still down (they are moving it to a new host/server). So if anyone doesn't have or know of a local place to donate, they might chose a hospital that is on the list in their state or near their home. It might be a good place to start if you're unsure.

Let me know what you ladies think. I just throw my two cents in. Besides it's free :)

~danielle~

PS. Let me know if I can be of any help. I have a set of needles I can use/donate if we need another set! I can also crochet borders on, so feel free to put me last if you need that done!

KnittinMitchie
07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
lol i was beginning to think I was the only crochet in this group.

mamapaulsel
07-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi Everyone!
I have needles to start a blanket and would love to start the Pink, White, Brown blanket. I also love the idea of a shades of blue for a boy. I'm thinking "Ocean Waves", any other thoughts?

I'm looking forward to being a part of the Southwest Region of knitters.

KnittinMitchie
07-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Ocean waves is a good name for the shades of blue blanket. I keep thinking the pink, brown and white should be called strawberry sundae.

mamapaulsel
07-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Strawberry Sundae~ I :heart: it!!! If we get really ambitious we could do a Christmas one in red and white and call it Peppermint Twist. My head is swimming with ideas :teehee:

jjminarcik
07-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Okay, here's what I think:

Secksiebrat suggested the person starting the blanket where it will be donated. I think that is perfect - that way we can all donate to a place of our choice or in our region. :thumbsup:

Mamapaulsel will start the first blanket - pink, brown, white. Be thinking of where you would like for it to go!
Volunteers for this blanket?

Secksiebrat - can you please start the second blanket in blues? And volunteers for this blanket?

Once I get volunteers for each blanket, I can put us all in an order and then update the blog. We need 6 knitters for each blanket.

I will fill in where necessary. I've been dealing with my sick doggie - he has had 2 surgeries in the past 4 days. :pout: Until he gets better my knitting will be a little scarce. So thank you, wonderful, wonderful knitters, for volunteering to start blankets! :muah::muah::muah::muah:

KnittinMitchie
07-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Can you put me down for both blanket but near the end please. I've got a few projects going on that need finished off before I get in over my head.

I found 2 Shriner's Hospitals in our region. The orthopecdics hospital is in Houston, Texas and the burn hospital is in Galveston, Texas. This is just an idea

cdjack
07-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm ready and willing to work on the blankets whenever anyone wants to send one my way.

Oh, and my lys is in Celina, Texas (just north of Frisco). My knit group meets on Wednesdays. Now I can't remember who asked about the location of my lys, but I do remember that you lived in Sanginaw. Is Ft. Worth closer to you? I heard Jenning Street Yarns is nice.

mamapaulsel
07-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Put me down for both blankets. I'll be thinking of a place to donate the first blanket and I'll let you know what I find.

JJ~I hope that you dog feels better soon. If you are like me, my pets are part of our family:hug:

sgtpam
07-23-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm ready and willing to work on the blankets whenever anyone wants to send one my way.

Oh, and my lys is in Celina, Texas (just north of Frisco). My knit group meets on Wednesdays. Now I can't remember who asked about the location of my lys, but I do remember that you lived in Sanginaw. Is Ft. Worth closer to you? I heard Jenning Street Yarns is nice.
That would be me...and, yes, Saginaw is in the Fort Worth area (I'm stationed at NAS JRB Fort Worth. I'll have to check out Jennings. I'd like to find a group that gets together to knit. I'm not ready to start in on these blankets yet, but, I might later, when I get a little more consistent (I'm still a newbie). I'll keep up on the progress, though!

lucky_alf2
07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
please count me in on both blankets.

Robinknits
07-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I can knit on both blankets!

lucky_alf2
07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
How's this for a button?

KnittinMitchie
07-23-2008, 08:27 PM
looks Good :) but is hard to read when you make it smaller to fit in your signature.

lucky_alf2
07-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah -- It seems to loose some detail when I shrink it for the signature. Here's another version with a different font that seems to look a bit better. I'll mess with it some more when I get a chance.

Secksiebrat
07-23-2008, 09:33 PM
No problem. I will start on the blue blanket in the next couple of days!

What should we call it? "Little boy blue"? or do we already have a name?

~danielle~

Secksiebrat
07-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Another thought I had was that since we are a small group and it would have to be alright with _everyone_ in the group, but maybe jjmin could make up a master list with everyone's name, email address and address and then it could be emailed to each one of us. Then when the time came jjmin would merely have to just coordinate the blankets and make sure everything is moving. Then when we are ready to pass it along, it would be just making sure the next person is ready. We would already have each other's address.

Just a thought? We definitely want to make this as easy as possible for jjmin, and everyone else! Plus if something happens and jjmin is out for a couple of days or a week even, we could still "function".

Let me know what you think!

~danielle~

PS I'm ok with giving out my info. Plus most of you wont even know where Jefferson is :-P

Shandeh
07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Another thought I had was that since we are a small group and it would have to be alright with _everyone_ in the group, but maybe jjmin could make up a master list with everyone's name, email address and address and then it could be emailed to each one of us.

This is just my opinion, and I'm not part of your group, but I think it's best to keep the email and mailing addresses private. Some people are not comfortable with everyone seeing their personal info like that. And new members will be joining all the time, so the info would constantly be changing.

Also, you could have a spammer ask to join the group, just so they could get everyone's personal info. :psst:

KnittinMitchie
07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I see where both of you are coming from SO here is a suggestion to the issue. If JJ is going to be out of town I'm sure she will let us know and then she could tell us where each blanket needs to go before she leaves. OR JJ can pick one person to give the names to just in case of an emergancy.

jjminarcik
07-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi all -

Sorry for my delay in posting. Yesterday we found out the results of my dog's surgery - cancer. :verysad: I've cried and cried. After he heals up we will figure out next course in treatment. Needless to say these blankets were the last thing on my mind! But I'm doing better with the diagnosis and I'm back! :thumbsup:

Danielle - I think we have a name already for the blue blanket. Mamapaulsel suggested "Ocean Waves". We can always do another blue blanket later and call it "little Boy Blue".

Lucky_alf - The button is too cute! I :heart: it! Thank you so much for making it for us!

I do agree with Shandeh and the spammers. Meanies! :fingerwag: I will create a master list and keep everything together. If I am going to be out of town or whatever, I will get someone to be my backup. Any volunteers?

I've got the list for both blankets now and I will update the blog accordingly. Y'all can go ahead and start the blankets whenever you are ready. Just let me know when you are ready for them to go to the next person and I'll get things moving. I will PM Mamapaulsel and Secksiebrat a form to include with the blankets when they are shipped. And remember that you are welcome to send small gift or something in your package to the next person, but it is NOT necessary to do so. And please get some sort of delivery confirmation so we can keep track of our knitting.

I do need one thing from each of you - can you please PM me your mailing address and email address. That way I can start fresh with a current, new list of everyone. And if you can crochet borders, let me know that, too.

If you end up having ideas for new blankets, please post and we can start them whenever we feel ready.

I'm shutting up now - is this post long enough? :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
07-24-2008, 07:06 PM
:raises her hand: I can be your backup on all of this if you want also PM'ed you me info.

mamapaulsel
07-24-2008, 11:44 PM
I can crochet borders on blankets. Also should be able to start the first blanket within the next week. If you need someone to help when you are not available I'd be happy to help out in any way :p

I will keep you in my thoughts as you care for your dog :hug:

Secksiebrat
07-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Here is HAIN's website. You'll need to join their site (it's free, just like KH.com). You can look through it and see what items each area needs. They just moved hosts so I'll look for the spreadsheet for our area and see what they need. But thought others might be interested in reading/joining the site. FYI I am NO way affliated with HAIN, just a member and a mother whose lost a baby :)

~danielle~
http://heavenlyangelsinneed.com/
http://www.haincraftforum.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=653
PS I also added the link to the spreadsheet. You can see what hospitals in the areas are requesting/asking for.

mamapaulsel
07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
The "Strawberry Sundae" blanket has been started and is ready for the next knitter :cheering: I just couldn't wait to start it :teehee:

scrappygolden
07-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi Ladies,

I'd love to be part of this! I know that I'm new to the forum, but I'm hoping that you'll still let me join. :grphug: My blog is at Count It All Joy! (http://texasjoy.blogspot.com) and I only add that so that you will see that I'm a real person and not a spammer. I've sent my address to JJ in a PM.

I'm in the Dallas area as well! I'm a grandma of a most precious 1 year old baby girl and now have an empty nest at home. I've been praying for something like this to come along and I found mention of the oddball blankets on a blog and followed her links here (she's not SW though).

Anyway, I'm ready, willing and able!!! :knitting:

Secksiebrat
07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Ocean's blues is also ready to be headed out. I'll post some pictures later!

~danielle~

KnittinMitchie
07-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Ladies,

I'd love to be part of this! I know that I'm new to the forum, but I'm hoping that you'll still let me join. :grphug: My blog is at Count It All Joy! (http://texasjoy.blogspot.com) and I only add that so that you will see that I'm a real person and not a spammer. I've sent my address to JJ in a PM.

I'm in the Dallas area as well! I'm a grandma of a most precious 1 year old baby girl and now have an empty nest at home. I've been praying for something like this to come along and I found mention of the oddball blankets on a blog and followed her links here (she's not SW though).

Anyway, I'm ready, willing and able!!! :knitting:

I live down the road in Abilene, what a small world. Along with my "mad skillz" I crochet and spin. I started out doing the borders on the odd ball baby/preemie blankets. I have had so much fun with those and I know this will be just as fun.

jjminarcik
07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Ocean's blues is also ready to be headed out. I'll post some pictures later!

~danielle~

I'll check on the next knitter for you!

KnittinMitchie
07-29-2008, 03:05 PM
JJ I'm suffering from CRS (can't remember stuff) I pm'd you my address right?

jjminarcik
07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
JJ I'm suffering from CRS (can't remember stuff) I pm'd you my address right?

:roflhard::roflhard: I always thought it was "can't remember sh*t" :roflhard::roflhard:

And yes, I have your address.

KnittinMitchie
07-29-2008, 05:27 PM
:roflhard::roflhard: I always thought it was "can't remember sh*t" :roflhard::roflhard:

And yes, I have your address.

I have I 3 yr old how repeats so its Stuff in this house but yeah it is sh*t

Shandeh
08-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Good luck with all your blankets for charity, Southwest Region!
And remember to be good to your new leader. :muah:

jjminarcik
08-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Mamapaulsel & Secksiebrat -

Have the blankets been shipped yet?

We have a few others that have joined our team that were led here via blogland. I will be posting blanket volunteer opportunities via here and the blog in order to reach everyone.

I'm trying to think of ideas for our next blankets. Any suggestions? :shrug:

KnittinMitchie
08-02-2008, 08:37 PM
:thinking...thinking...thinking: :trying not to hurt myself: We could do a Strawberry Short Cake with Pink Red and white or GIJoe in greens browns and blacks for a little boy.

cdjack
08-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I like the Strawberry Shortcake idea. And keeping with the early 80's character flashback, how about Rainbow Brite?

KnittinMitchie
08-03-2008, 10:23 AM
LOL you read my mind i thought about that yesterday LOL I also thought about a Transformers blanket but don't know how to pull that one off.

cdjack
08-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Transformers... How about different shades of grey mixed in with a stripe of a primary color. It's been awhile, but the one my cousin had was grey, but then his accessories were bright red.
Oh, and then there's "My Little Pony"... :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Gee it seems like we are stuck in the 80's ROFL

My Little Ponies would look good in pastel colors and could maybe be done as a sport/DK weight blanket.

Secksiebrat
08-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Ocean blues will be mailed Monday. Thursday and friday we were without power, water and internet on and off as they are getting the new house across the street all wired/hooked up! Our post office isn't open on saturday's so I didn't have a chance to get the address to ship it off. But it will be out first thing tomorrow morning. Sorry for the delay!

~danielle~

PS. I will be donating the Ocean Waves blanket to one of the hospitals listed with HAIN. I also plan to donate a few baby hats and maybe some booties. IF anyone is interested in knitting/crocheting up anything, please let me know and I'd be happy to include it in our package! No pressure if you don't want to, I just thought I'd ask :)

mamapaulsel
08-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Strawberry Sundae will be mailed tomorrow~Monday. It's been a crazy weekend. Sorry for the delay!

I was thinking about "Autumn Shades" done in yellow, orange, red and brown. Or "Peppermint Twist" done in red and white. I love :heart: all of the other ideas that everyone has come up with. If we want to stick with the 80's themes how about a "Ninja Turtles" done in shades of green. Just a few thoughts :teehee:

cdjack
08-04-2008, 08:56 AM
If we could only figure out how to do a Cabbage Patch Kids one... :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Cabbage Patch Kids could be a patch work blanket :) just done with different colored knitted squares in primary and light colors. Jsut a suggetion

Secksiebrat
08-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I love the names. Rainbow bright, ninja turtles, gi-joe, strawberry shortcake, my little ponies, cabbage patch kids, spiderman (reds, blacks, whites), Punky brewster (bright colors as well), He-man, Shera (red, yellow, white, oranage, black). These are just some I thought of if we want to stick with the 80's themes!

Hope this helps!

~danielle~

jjminarcik
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I :heart: IT! The 80's ROCK! I'm so excited! Y'all are so clever!

:muah::muah:

KnittinMitchie
08-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I've gotten the feeling this group is full of 80's Children LOL Nothing wrong with the 80's

mamapaulsel
08-04-2008, 02:40 PM
:happydance: Strawberry Sundae is in the mail.

OMG~I was thinking about a Cabbage Patch blanket too!!! Great minds think alike :roflhard: The 80's ROCK :thumbsup:

scrappygolden
08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Oh and the Smurfs too! Bright blue, yellow and white. :thumbsup:

mamapaulsel
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Don't forget about Scooby Doo: bright green, brown, blue, orange, puprle and red. So many ideas~do we have enough time to knit?:roflhard:

KnittinMitchie
08-06-2008, 07:20 AM
We will get these blankets knitted :) this just gives us LONG list to work from hehe. Don't forget too that some of the blankets can be done as sport/dk weight for preemies.

Shandeh
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Y'all are just having TOO much fun with these names!
:muah:

cdjack
08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey, Secksiebrat, just wanted to let you know that I received "Ocean Waves" this afternoon. Thanks for the tea. I guess I can forego my daily Sonic iced tea stop today. I'll get started tomorrow. :hug:

Secksiebrat
08-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Wow that got there quick! Glad you received it! LOL I love Sonic drinks. Have to have those half price drinks during the summer!

Enjoy!

~danielle~

lucky_alf2
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I received Strawberry Sundae yesterday!

Secksiebrat
08-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Here is the LONG overdue picture of the Ocean Waves blanket. Sorry it's taken me so long, but wanted to make sure you all saw it when it was just started! :)

I used the seed stitch block pattern that Shandeh came up with for a square she was using for an afghan.

~danielle~

Robinknits
08-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Ocean Waves is off to a great start. Love that blue! Can't wait until it's my turn!

mamapaulsel
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
That is the most beautiful shade of blue! I :heart: it! Can't wait to knit on it myself :teehee:

I'm glad that Strawberry Sundae arrived safely. Sorry that I didn't get a picture of it for all of you to see.

cdjack
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Hey, Southwest Oddball Knitters! :waving:

Ocean Waves is ready to travel to the next knitter's house.

jjminarcik
08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey, Southwest Oddball Knitters! :waving:

Ocean Waves is ready to travel to the next knitter's house.

mamapaulsel
08-12-2008, 02:03 AM
I take my knitting with me EVERYWHERE I go. My in-laws are even asking me when the next charity blanket will be coming my way because they enjoy seeing what we are knitting. I can't wait to work on Ocean Waves :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
08-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I am the same way. I take a project with me everywhere. This morning how ever has been a stash management day and there has been no knitting done yet.

cdjack
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
I'll get Ocean Waves in the mail tomorrow.

Shandeh
08-13-2008, 06:57 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/signs13/21.gif

cdjack
08-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Ocean Waves is now on its way down south.

cdjack
08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok, this is strange. I put "Ocean Waves" in the mail Wednesday afternoon and ,according to the delivery confirmation number,
IT IS STILL THERE! Maybe they just havn't updated the site or something ? :shrug:

KnittinMitchie
08-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Ok, this is strange. I put "Ocean Waves" in the mail Wednesday afternoon and ,according to the delivery confirmation number,
IT IS STILL THERE! Maybe they just havn't updated the site or something ? :shrug:

USPS deliver confirmation works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I know that sound bad but it happens. Plus their website could be being a PITA.

cdjack
08-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, I hope that you're right and it just has not been updated. I expected it to be in Houston by tomorrow.

mamapaulsel
08-16-2008, 03:56 AM
YIPEE ~ I can't wait!

cdjack
08-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I just checked the tracking number again, and it says it is still at the post office. Surely, it is at the very least on its way to Houston.
Maybe they are using the Pony Express? :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
08-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I got a charity blanket from Pa and that took FOREVER to Texas. I'm sure thye just forgot to scan the package. it can happen. I've worked for the post office :)

mamapaulsel
08-16-2008, 05:19 PM
No Ocean Waves today in the mail ~ maybe it will arrive on Monday. They must be using the Pony Express :teehee:

cdjack
08-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I just checked the usps site again, and it says it is in Houston!
:woohoo: :cheering: :happydance:

I guess that it should be at your house tomorrow.

mamapaulsel
08-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I go back to work tomorrow for meetings :ick: But knowing that Ocean Waves should be waiting for me when I get home makes tomorrow :happydance:

lucky_alf2
08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Strawberry Sundae is almost ready to go. Who's next?

jjminarcik
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Strawberry Sundae is almost ready to go. Who's next?

mamapaulsel
08-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Courtney, thank you so very much for the sock patterns. I just :heart: them. Yesterday was a very difficult day for me and your kindness almost brought tears to my eyes. Thanks again :muah:

I couldn't wait to get started on Ocean Waves. Y'all have done such a wonderful job on it so far. It will be beautiful little blanket when it is all done. Our group ROCKS :thumbsup:

cdjack
08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Oh, good! I'm glad that the blanket found its way to you, Brenda.
And I'm equally as glad that you liked the sock patterns. They were fun to pick out. Enjoy knitting on the blanket. :hug:

cdjack
08-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Just checking in to see how are blankets are coming along.

mamapaulsel
08-27-2008, 05:02 PM
We have had a very bad week at our house. DH lost his job on Monday, the first day I went back to teaching. So I haven't had much time to knit on Ocean Waves this week with starting back to work, homeschool, teaching confirmation classes at church and the stress of DH being unemployeed. I have about 1/2 of my section done and hope to finish it this holiday weekend so that I can send it onto the next person.

cdjack
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh, bless your heart, Brenda. Take your time on the blanket. I was just wondering how everyone was coming along. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

KnittinMitchie
08-27-2008, 06:45 PM
OH Brenda I'm sorry to hear. Hope everything sorts itself out for you.

Secksiebrat
08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh doh. I hate to hear that Brenda. We will be praying for you and your family. I hope everything works out. *hugs*

~danielle~

mamapaulsel
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks so much y'all :grphug: We feel very blessed to be where we are, God has placed some wonderful people in our lives.

Robinknits
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
"Strawberry Sundae" arrived today. We're leaving town for the weekend, but I'll get started on it when we get home next week. I think it needs some chocolate!

Thanks Adrianne for adorable little cards.

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Good work, Southwest! :wink:

mamapaulsel
08-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Ocean Waves is ready to be sent in the mail on Tuesday.

jjminarcik
08-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Ocean Waves is ready to be sent in the mail on Tuesday.

Hey y'all, sorry I've been MIA. . . we've had company in town this week and I started a temporary job (making Homecoming mums! :teehee:) so things have been crazy. I received a knitpicks order this week with some new needles to replace the size 8's that I lost at the Atlanta airport a few weeks ago. :pout: So, I'll be starting a blanket this week - I think I'll start the Smurf one. Volunteers?

KnittinMitchie
08-30-2008, 10:26 PM
you can put mew down for the last knitter/finisher on smurfs if you want.

Secksiebrat
08-31-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm happy to knit on the smurf one :)

~danielle~

mamapaulsel
09-01-2008, 02:17 AM
Count me in for the Smurfs, it sounds like fun :teehee:

cdjack
09-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Count me in as well, if you need another knitter.

Secksiebrat
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I updated the blog. Please post pictures when you finish your section if you could please. This will help me to update it! Thanks! :)

~danielle~

jjminarcik
09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I now have enough knitters for Smurfs. Cdjack, I didn't need you on this one. You are welcome to go ahead and start another blanket or I can put you as the second knitter on the next one - your choice. If you need some needles I can send you some!

cdjack
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey J.J., just put me down as the second knitter on the next blanket.

lucky_alf2
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Ladies! Halloween is just around corner, and well, as my birthday is on Halloween, it is a holiday I like. Anyways, I was wondering if there was any interest in putting together an orange & black blanket? I'd be happy to kick it off. I know Halloween is sometimes a touchy subject, so if there isn't any/enough interest, that's OK too.

Adri

KnittinMitchie
09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Ladies! Halloween is just around corner, and well, as my birthday is on Halloween, it is a holiday I like. Anyways, I was wondering if there was any interest in putting together an orange & black blanket? I'd be happy to kick it off. I know Halloween is sometimes a touchy subject, so if there isn't any/enough interest, that's OK too.

Adri

Instead of a halloween themed blanket could we shot for one that has some golds and deep reds added and aim for for a fall theme ? I do like the orange and black idea don't get me wrong. My mom's favorite color is orange.

We could call the blanket fall foliage or even shades of Autumn.

just my 2 cents worth.

Robinknits
09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I finished my section of "Strawberry Sundae". I love how this one is turning out.

I posted the picture on the blog as well.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mKqUbFz532M/SMFZ5TQenbI/AAAAAAAAA-M/syNSWh_imvc/s1600-h/Strawberry+Sundae.jpg

jjminarcik
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Instead of a halloween themed blanket could we shot for one that has some golds and deep reds added and aim for for a fall theme ? I do like the orange and black idea don't get me wrong. My mom's favorite color is orange.

just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with making this one a fall theme. Personally, I am all for a Halloween theme, but we probably should make it more "charity friendly" where it can go to anyone regardless of beliefs. Orange can definitely be incorporated into the fall theme. Pumpkins - yum! :mmm:

I finished my section of "Strawberry Sundae". I love how this one is turning out.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mKqUbFz532M/SMFZ5TQenbI/AAAAAAAAA-M/syNSWh_imvc/s1600-h/Strawberry+Sundae.jpg

:passedout: Beautiful! Y'all are doing a great job!

jjminarcik
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM

just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with making this one a fall theme. Personally, I am all for a Halloween theme, but we probably should make it more "charity friendly" where it can go to anyone regardless of beliefs. Orange can definitely be incorporated into the fall theme. Pumpkins - yum! :mmm: Or we could do a blanket in orange, yellow and white called "Candy Corn". :shrug:

:passedout: Beautiful! Y'all are doing a great job!

jjminarcik
09-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't have a clue why I have two posts of almost the same thing. Weird. It's definitely been one of those days. I think I'm going to :clink: and then go to bed!

KnittinMitchie
09-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree with making this one a fall theme. Personally, I am all for a Halloween theme, but we probably should make it more "charity friendly" where it can go to anyone regardless of beliefs. Orange can definitely be incorporated into the fall theme. Pumpkins - yum! :mmm: Or we could do a blanket in orange, yellow and white called "Candy Corn". :shrug:

I like candy corn JJ and I agree i'm ready for a drink too.

mamapaulsel
09-06-2008, 10:25 PM
I like the candy corn idea :teehee: it's one of my favorite candies.

I am so sorry y'all, I haven't had a chance to make it to the post office yet. It's on my to do list for Monday, I promise.

Robin~the picture of Strawberry Sundae is stunning. Thanks for posting it.

scrappygolden
09-07-2008, 10:52 PM
We're back from vacation and I'm getting caught up again!:knitting:

Strawberry Sundae is awesome ladies! I just love how these blankets work up.

I'm excited about Smurfs and can't wait to get started on it. :woot:

And the candy corn idea sounds good too. Candy corn is also one of my favorite candies and I bought some candy corn sock yarn on etsy last year. I uh, only have one sock finished, but some day those will be my favorite pair - LOL!

Robinknits
09-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Strawberry Sundae went in the mail yesterday. Delivery Confirmation number is: 0103 8555 7494 7958 7627

jjminarcik
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Sounds like the idea for "Candy Corn" is a go! :cheering:

Lucky_alf2 - would you like to start this blanket? I can send you needles if you need them.

mamapaulsel
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Ocean Waves is in the mail :woot: The confirmation number is 0307 0020 0004 1337 9056

lucky_alf2
09-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Nope, I have a spare set I'm happy to use and pass on. :)

Robinknits
09-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I can work on "Candy Corn" if you need more knitters.

mamapaulsel
09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Me too :)

cdjack
09-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey Robin! :waving:

"Strawberry Sundae" has arrived safely in North Texas. I'll get to work on it this weekend. The remnants of Hurricane Ike are supposed to dump up to 8 inches of rain of us this weekend. Perfect knitting weather, don't ya think?

KnittinMitchie
09-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey Robin! :waving:

"Strawberry Sundae" has arrived safely in North Texas. I'll get to work on it this weekend. The remnants of Hurricane Ike are supposed to dump up to 8 inches of rain of us this weekend. Perfect knitting weather, don't ya think?

Well I hope Ike brings some of that Rain to West Central Texas so I can get some spinning done.

mamapaulsel
09-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Lord only knows what we will get in Houston. But I made sure that I have plenty of knitting supplies to get me through Ike :teehee: If it does hit us it will be my first official hurricane, how exciting is that? DD is terrified of it but we keep telling her that we will be fine. DH has been through this before and is trying to comfort her. I guess time will tell where it will go and the damage it will do.

Shandeh
09-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Go Southwest! Be careful with the storms coming on!
:heart: :pray: :heart:

KnittinMitchie
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Thankfully we are up in Abilene and will get the rain from Ike. How much is yet to bee seen. We've had rain Since Tuesday and are going to be getting more. I do know if we don't dry out any I'll be swimming into town. LOL

mamapaulsel
09-11-2008, 05:27 PM
My very first Hurricane :woohoo: I'm trying to think of all the knitting time I'll get in :teehee: From the sounds of it right now, Houston is in the target zone for Ike. DH was in Alicia 25 years ago and so I'm confident that his experience will help us get through it. Besides, we love to camp so this will probably be a lot like that (I hope!) I'll let y'all know how things progress while we have electricity.

jjminarcik
09-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, looks like me and Mamapaulsel will bear the brunt of the storm. I'm looking forward to lots of knitting time!!!!

mamapaulsel
09-11-2008, 10:58 PM
So JJ, what are you going to be knitting? I'll be working on dish cloths for C-mas and a baby blanket. Be safe :hug:

jjminarcik
09-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Probably some socks - I'm having sock withdrawals!

Hope you and your family stay safe!!

KnittinMitchie
09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
I hope everyone stays safe :) we are up in West Central Texas so I don't know how much if Ike we will be getting.

Robinknits
09-12-2008, 12:15 PM
JJ and Brenda,

My sister is in Spring, TX and I have a friend in The Woodlands. I'll be thinking of all of you and praying too as this storm goes through.

mamapaulsel
09-12-2008, 01:51 PM
They have been running 24/7 coverage of Ike on the TV and I'm just ready for it to be over with. They are saying that it is a cat. 2 hurricane for winds but the storm surge is a cat. 4/5 and that this is one strange hurricane.

lucky_alf2
09-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Ocean Waves arrived safe and sound. Thanks for the BEAUTIFUL stitch markers Brenda!! Mine recently broke so I happen to be in need of some new one!! Thanks!!

Stay safe our Texas friends -- sounds like Ike is going be strong. Please please take care, our thoughts are with you all.

Now off to find some nice blue yarn .... :)

jjminarcik
09-12-2008, 04:34 PM
They have been running 24/7 coverage of Ike on the TV and I'm just ready for it to be over with. They are saying that it is a cat. 2 hurricane for winds but the storm surge is a cat. 4/5 and that this is one strange hurricane.

No kidding! I'm ready for it to be over, too. My neighbor and his girlfriend are coming over to hang out with me and DH. We're going to play board games and :clink:! A hurricane party at its best! :teehee:

mamapaulsel
09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
:roflhard: DH and I were just talking about using up the OJ with some vodka so that the OJ doesn't go bad :teehee: Enjoy your Hurrican Party :balloons:

mamapaulsel
09-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Adrianna,
I'm so glad that you liked the stitch markers and that you can use them. My DD and I had fun making them. :knitting:

KnittinMitchie
09-13-2008, 08:45 PM
On the topic of Ike. We got a bit of rain last night/early this morning and have had very little cloud cover. I hope the rest of you are doing okay.

Secksiebrat
09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Wheeeee. We had a little bit of a storm here! LOL. We lost power Saturday afternoon and just got it back on tonight. LOTS of tree damage here in the piney woods of east texas!!! I hope everyone else fared well!

~danielle~

Shandeh
09-15-2008, 11:41 PM
:pray: Praying for all of you

jjminarcik
09-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi all -
Am using a friends computer. Have been out of power since Friday during the storm. Still don't have power. I would give my left arm for a warm shower!!!! Our neighborhood was hit pretty hard, but we are safe.

Mamapaulsel - I'm assuming you don't have power?? Are you okay??
Received an email from lucky_alf2 wanting to know who to send Ocean Waves to next. Can someone please check the blog and get the correct address for her?
All my info is still on my computer which I can not access because I have no power!!!!!!!
Thanks - y'all are the best!!!!!! We have the BEST group ever!!!! I'll check in again when I get power - cross your fingers!!!!

Secksiebrat
09-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Robinknits is next on the list for the Ocean Waves blanket. Could you PM lucky_alf2 your dress please? Thanks!

~danielle~

cdjack
09-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Glad to hear that you're ok JJ. My sister lives in Houston (near Shepherd and W. Grey) and she still doesn't have power either. My in-laws live in Rosenberg and they got their power back Sunday night.

I'm working on Strawberry Sundae, but it's been slow going. Got busy around here all of a sudden. Hope to have it out by the middle of next week.

KnittinMitchie
09-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Glad to hear everyone is doing okay. Ike missed Abilene. If anyone needs ANYTHING please let me know.

lucky_alf2
09-18-2008, 11:52 PM
No worries everyone. I figured when I didn't hear back from JJ that it was Ike problems and had already contacted Robin directly. Ocean Waves is already on it's way to her. Candy Corn is nearly ready to go as well. I just need to put together the list and post updated pics on the blog -- hopefully tomorrow.

Smiles --

Adri

Shandeh
09-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Mamapaulsel - I'm assuming you don't have power?? Are you okay??
I'm worried about Brenda too. I have her phone number, but it's busy every time I try to call. Probably, the phone lines are not fixed yet....it's a land line. :pout:

mamapaulsel
09-19-2008, 05:47 PM
:woohoo: We finally have power! :cheering: Thank you all for your concern. We made it through our first hurricane without any damage :happydance: Our power was just restored and I can't be happier. I'm so glad that everyone else is doing fine. Did anyone else receive damage from Ike?

I thought that I was going to loose my mind last night with DH's family. A little of them is nice but too much is a different story :roflhard: :roflhard: A friend of mine came over and picked us up today to get us out of the house. Driving without traffic lights is scary in this city. We ended up at Twisted Yarns out in Spring and I bought a scarf pattern and two hanks of yarn. I plan on making them for c-mas presents.

Secksiebrat
09-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Glad to see you are ok Brenda! We were concerned about you! We did pretty good through Ike. Lots of trees down in our area. Still a few homes without power but most everything is back up and running. We were out of power for about 50 hours. Felt like forever though!

~danielle~

mamapaulsel
09-19-2008, 11:01 PM
I understand what you mean. We were without power for 7 days and I don't think that I could have made it one more day if I had to. I was ready to pack up the kids and head for Austin to my great Aunt for the weekend :teehee: The grocery stores here are just starting to get in the basics; eggs, milk, etc. DH was such a sweet heart tonight, he brought home a 1/2 gallon of chocolate ice cream cloud9 It was gone in a matter of minutes :thumbsup: YUMMY!

Shandeh
09-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Yay! You're Okay! :woohoo:
I've been so worried! :help:

I removed your cell phone number from your post. I didn't want prying eyes (AKA spammers) to get it and bug you to death. :teehee:

Feel free to send it to me in a PM. :)

KnittinMitchie
09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
. DH was such a sweet heart tonight, he brought home a 1/2 gallon of chocolate ice cream cloud9 It was gone in a matter of minutes :thumbsup: YUMMY!

I hope it was some Blue Bell. glad to hear you are doing okay Brenda.

mamapaulsel
09-21-2008, 10:16 PM
:roflhard: I wish that it was Blue Bell but it was just the store brand. My MIL has a friend that lives near the Blue Bell Plant and said that they pulled all of their ice cream from the store shelves in Houston and shipped it back in refrigerated trucks so that they wouldn't loose any of their merchandise. I guess that this freezer is so big that it holds millions of gallons of Blue Bell. Boy wouldn't that be fun to dive into :roflhard: :roflhard: She said that we just have to be patient and our Blue Bell will be back in the store in Houston in no time. I can't wait, it's YUMMY!!!:teehee:

KnittinMitchie
09-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I'll send you a bowl of the Rocky Road we have :)

jjminarcik
09-23-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm back! :waving:

We FINALLY got power back last night. Being powerless for 10 days was awful! The first few days weren't so bad, but then it started to get :hot: I didn't have power at my work either, so no relief there. But we finally got it last night about 6 pm. I swear, there is nothing like a warm shower and A/C! Our neighbor had a generator so we would hook up the tv with rabbit ears and bring it to the parking lot where we would sit and watch. I have pictures that I'll post soon.

We had a good bit of damage in our area. There was a big tree across the road and all the power lines were in the street. We stayed up and watched most of the storm. It was our first hurricane experience and it was neat to see. But when the wind was making the windows pop, that was a little scary. :shock:

Mamapaulsel - glad you are okay!! I can't even imagine being in this situation with kids.

I am finally mailing out Smurfs this week.

Thanks guys for managing things while I was away. We really do have the BEST GROUP EVER!! :muah::grphug:

cdjack
09-23-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm sooooo sorry for the delay, but Strawberry Sundae is ready to be sent to the next knitter. I think that Secksiebrat is next on the list, but I'm not totally sure.

Secksiebrat
09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
KnittinMitchie is next on the list for Strawberry Sundae :)

~danielle~

Shandeh
09-23-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm back! :waving:
We FINALLY got power back last night. Being powerless for 10 days was awful!
:heart: :muah: :heart:
You certainly had a hard time, didn't you?! :pout:

jjminarcik
09-23-2008, 11:54 PM
:heart: :muah: :heart:
You certainly had a hard time, didn't you?! :pout:

We did, but considering the circumstances it wasn't too bad. At least we had water!

cdjack
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I'll drive to town and put Strawberry Sundae in the mail this morning.

mamapaulsel
09-24-2008, 09:17 PM
:woohoo: for power JJ. Glad that you are ok and back on line with us.

We have teachers/parents & students at our school who are still without power and now they are saying that they may not have it for a total of 3 weeks. :zombie: I thought I was going to loose my mind after 7 days but can you imagine 3 weeks? That's terrible. I keep offering my washing machine to friends and a place to come that has AC and lights. Tomorrow night our youth director from church is coming over to take me up on the offer.

lucky_alf2
09-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Candy Corn is ready to go. I looked back thru the posts and only see that Robin and Brenda have asked to knit on this one so far. Anyone else? We need 3 more knitters or have the current folks double up. As I just sent Ocean Waves to Robin thought I'd send this to Brenda next but figured I'd ask if mail service was OK post-Ike. LMK.

Here's a pic of Ocean Waves.

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Take care -- Adri

cdjack
09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll work on Candy Corn. I'm busy right now, though. Maybe you could schedule me towards the end of the blanket?

KnittinMitchie
09-26-2008, 04:10 PM
I got Strawberry Sundae as well as a cranky 3 yr old today. It also look like I need to make a trip out to buy Brown yarn as I dont have any.

scrappygolden
09-26-2008, 05:23 PM
I'd love to help on Candy Corn, but I'm signed up for Smurfs as well. Hopefully they wouldn't arrive the same week! I'd really love to help though if you need more knitters. :)

jjminarcik
09-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Okay, here are the list of knitters for Candy Corn - we only need one more knitter!

lucky_alf2
Scrappygolden
Mamapaulsel
Robinknits
cdjack

Anyone? Anyone?

KnittinMitchie
09-26-2008, 08:37 PM
yeah put me down at the end of Candy Corn. I've got some Orange white and yellow

Dorcas
09-27-2008, 10:14 AM
It looks like you have all the knitters you need for the blankets but if someone has to drop out you can put me in.

I've been trying to come up with other blanket themes. I'm not very creative but I've thought of two others:

1. Hello Kitty

2. Peanuts - everyone could pick one Peanuts character (Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, etc.) and chose a color based on that character

Karin

Robinknits
09-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I received Ocean Waves in the mail yesterday. Thanks Adrianne for the stitch makers!

mamapaulsel
09-28-2008, 12:00 AM
I like the two new ideas for blankets: Hello Kitty and Peanuts! Those should be lots of fun.

Robin, I had no idea that you had a sister in Houston. I'm so glad that she is ok and that they got their power restored. What part of the city do they live in? We've had power for a week now and my inlaws just got theirs restored today. Still no idea when SIL and her fiancee will have power in Baytown. DH went down to Galveston with MIL to check on the beach house. It has more damage than they thought but still nothing too major.

Love the pic of Ocean Waves. It's so much fun to see how our special blankets progress.

cdjack
09-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Wow, the blanket got to you pretty fast, Christine. Hope you enjoy working on it!

KnittinMitchie
09-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I've got about 3 inches done this weekend of the Basket Weave. I want to get 6 rows in in Vanna's Choice chocolate. Hubby and I looked at the blanket and it didnt have enough brow in it :)

mamapaulsel
09-29-2008, 12:09 AM
How do you like working with Vanna's Choice? I want to knit some baby blocks up for the new nephew this c-mas and was thinking about using that brand. Let me know what your opinion is. Thanks!

cdjack
09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I did my portion of Strawberry Sundae with white Vanna White. I didn't much care for it. It's kind of stiff. However, the Vanna White baby yarn seems a lot softer.

KnittinMitchie
09-29-2008, 11:55 AM
The Chocolate and rust colors I bought are softer than Red Heart but not a soft as Caron Simply Soft. I don't think I will buy Vanna's Choice again as Micheal's sell it for $3.49 skein or so and you don't get as much yarn as you do with Red Heart or Caron.

Yes I'm thrifty and am all about the bang for the buck.

Secksiebrat
09-29-2008, 01:30 PM
We talked about a smurfs blanket. Did anyone start that one? Is there a list of knitters set for that? I wanted to update our blog site.

~danielle~

KnittinMitchie
09-29-2008, 01:38 PM
If some one sends me some needles I an cast on Smurfs. Is it possible we can make that one a preemie blanket.

Robinknits
09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
I finished Ocean Waves last night. Didn't have quite enough of the light blue I used, so I finished with the darker color.

I need an address for KnittinMitchie.

Secksiebrat
09-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Awesome! That blanket looks great so far! We are almost done!

As for the smurf blanket pre-Ike jjminarick said she wanted to start this one and had a list of knitters (found it a couple of pages back). So let's see if jj started it/and if she still has the list of knitters signed up. If not we'll get it started!

~danielle~

KnittinMitchie
09-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Danielle sounds good. Just let me know. I read the blog but its not very up today :)

cdjack
09-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I have some circular needles that I can part with to be used for the blankets. Let me know if anyone needs some.

jjminarcik
09-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi all -

Sorry for my delay in posting, I was out of town this weekend and I just got back today.

I started Smurfs and mailed it to stirlinggirl (Ravelry) on Friday. The USPS website said it was delivered today. Here is the list for the blog:

jjminarcik
stirlinggirl (Ravelry)
Secksiebrat
scrappygolden
wool winder (via blog)
KnittingMitchie

And here is the list for Candy Corn:

lucky_alf2
Scrappygolden
Mamapaulsel
Robinknits
cdjack
KnittinMitchie

KnittinMitchie
09-29-2008, 08:29 PM
TY JJ :)

I have started working with a girl scout troop and they are going to be knitting 8 inch squares and I will be sewing them together to make a blanket. If it is okay with you can I donate it along with our blankets.

Secksiebrat
09-29-2008, 09:02 PM
I updated the blog! I try to update it every time there is new pictures/blankets/knitters/info!

~danielle~

jjminarcik
09-29-2008, 10:01 PM
TY JJ :)

I have started working with a girl scout troop and they are going to be knitting 8 inch squares and I will be sewing them together to make a blanket. If it is okay with you can I donate it along with our blankets.

That is wonderful! :cheering::cheering:

scrappygolden
10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
YAY - Candy Corn arrived at my doorstep today. It's funny too because I have been whining and moaning to my husband that none of my knitting projects are interesting to me right now and lo and behold this shows up at my house! I'm looking at stitch patterns now to decide what to do, then will start knitting on it.

KnittinMitchie
10-02-2008, 11:23 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SOYxpN_dsSI/AAAAAAAAApg/Rf3GbbwsFRA/s800/DSCN0623.jpg

Hi I got Ocean Waves today from Robin.

Also I am done with my section on Strawberry Sundae can you please PM the address so I can send it one.

Secksiebrat
10-03-2008, 11:01 AM
JJ will do the last section on the Strawberry Sundae blanket. It looks beautiful!
~danielle~

scrappygolden
10-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Strawberry Sundae is so beautiful! Congrats to all who've worked on it!

jjminarcik
10-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Also I am done with my section on Strawberry Sundae can you please PM the address so I can send it one.

It looks beautiful!!!!!

PMed you!

KnittinMitchie
10-04-2008, 06:16 AM
JJ I will try to get the blanket mailed the beginning of next week. Its one of those crazy weekends here at our house.

mamapaulsel
10-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Strawberry Sundae is so beautiful!!!

KnittinMitchie
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Delivery Confirmation # 030801400 0001 0539 3030 For Strawberry Sundae going to JJ.

mamapaulsel
10-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Ocean waves looks so majestic, I love the way it's coming together :heart:

Secksiebrat
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I am headed out of town (to san antonio) on Thursday (10/9). I will be back on Tuesday (9/14). If the smurf blanket is ready to move, go ahead and send it to my house. My hubby will be home so he will be sure to bring it in and make sure it's safe!

I just wanted to let everyone know where I was if I didn't answer on the boards (I will be able to check though) or didn't update our site!

Have a great week/weekend! Keep up the great work!

~danielle~

scrappygolden
10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Can somebody PM me with the address of the next person on the list please?

I'm headed in to take a picture now. :p

jjminarcik
10-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Can somebody PM me with the address of the next person on the list please?

I'm headed in to take a picture now. :p

Sending you a PM. . .

scrappygolden
10-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Here's a picture of Candy Corn after the first two knitters: :knitting:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2923386512_6bb6e30c03.jpg

mamapaulsel
10-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Oh, I love the patterns that ya'll choose :heart: It's sooooo beautiful:inlove:

scrappygolden
10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Blanket went to the post office this morning. Delivery Confirmation is 0306 2400 0000 5922 4861

Thanks ladies!!!

mamapaulsel
10-12-2008, 02:56 PM
:woot: Candy Corn arrived safely on Friday afternoon right as we were getting ready to head out of town. The mail man got a big :roflhard: when I started to clap my hands and get all excited about the package :teehee: Thanks for the bag of candy corn, it's the first bag I've eaten this season and it was :mmm: I can't wait to decide on a stitch for the blanket and get to :knitting:

KnittinMitchie
10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm STILL knitting on Ocean Waves. I'm doing a double seed stitch and it's taking me FOREVER. I hope to gt it finished up border and all this week. Once I'm done where does it need to be sent to?

jjminarcik
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I received Strawberry Sundae today! It is BEAUTIFUL! :inlove: And KnittinMitchie, thank you for the lovely stitch markers! They are my favorite colors and the PERFECT size! :heart:

I'm excited that Ocean Waves is almost complete! Secksiebrat gets to decide where to donate that one, since she is the one that started the blanket. KnittinMitchie, you could mail it to Secksiebrat to donate?? :shrug:

KnittinMitchie
10-15-2008, 10:20 PM
TY JJ. I'll shot seckiebrat a PM once I'm done.

Secksiebrat
10-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I will be getting on the HAIN website and picking a hospital in Texas that I will donate the blanket to. I also have a few baby hats I plan to donate as well. I'll let you know what hospital and I'll take pictures before I send it all so you can see!

~danielle~

mamapaulsel
10-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Candy Corn is ready to be sent to the next knitter :happydance: Here is an updated pic of how it is looking so far. Doesn't it look YUMMY?!

jjminarcik
10-18-2008, 12:55 AM
It looks great! Makes me want come candy corn!

Robinknits
10-18-2008, 03:38 PM
"Candy Corn" looks great! Can't wait to work on it.

Secksiebrat
10-19-2008, 03:14 PM
The blanekts are coming along beautifully! I'm having a down moment this week, so forgive me if I dont' get the website updated right now.

Today would of been the due date for our 2nd baby and next Friday will be 6 months since I lost the baby.

Now I'm at peace as to what has happened and I understand it just wasn't ment to be. But just the same I feel the sadness for loosing a baby. I had also hoped/prayed that I might be pregnant again. But thus far, it hasn't been ment to be!

So be patient with me, I'll be feeling better soon!

~danielle~

jjminarcik
10-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Danielle -

Feel better!! Take all the time you need, we are all here for you! :hug::hug:

I havn't lost a child, but have been struggling for over 3 years to get pregnant. I have come to peace with it, but it still hurts when I hear that everyone else in the world from back home is pregnant! :pout: I went through a serious depression about 2 years ago (when I learned how to knit!), but still doesn't put that child in my life. I keep :pray: it will happen someday.

I'm always here to talk if you need to!

:hug: :heart: :hug: :heart::hug: :heart: :hug: :heart:

mamapaulsel
10-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Danielle and JJ, my heart breaks for both of you. I will keep both of you in my prayers, that God will comfort you and give you His peace. :muah: :hug: :muah: :hug:

Shandeh
10-19-2008, 10:51 PM
:heart: :heart: :pray: Danielle:pray: :heart: :heart:

KnittinMitchie
10-21-2008, 10:12 AM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SP3ivwoWBYI/AAAAAAAAA0M/PMspMXM4puw/s800/DSCN0656.JPG

Here is the blanket and my daughter who is 3 just HAD to give it a quality test. (it passed btw)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SP3izSi3lpI/AAAAAAAAA0c/osZKQas73pc/s800/DSCN0658.JPG

Secksiebrat
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Wow it's beautiful! I can't wait to box it up and send it to a charity! I've made 2 hats so far as well to mail. I guess I need to quit dragging my feet and pick one off the HAIN website! LOL

~danielle~

KnittinMitchie
10-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Danielle I won't be able to mail the blanket to the end of the month. This are a little tight.

mamapaulsel
10-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Ocean Waves is BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job everyone :cheering:

Candy Corn went in the mail today. Here is the confirmation number: 0306 2400 0001 1922 5142

Secksiebrat
10-23-2008, 10:35 AM
No problem! Just let me know when you are able to send it and I'll watch out for it! :cheering:

~danielle~

Shandeh
10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Such a pretty blanket! And your little one is precious. :heart:

KnittinMitchie
10-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Sandy she's "helped" me do all of the Odd Ball Blankets so far

Shandeh
10-25-2008, 06:33 PM
:teehee:

She's a sweetie! I'm sure she is storing up knitting memories for the rest of her life. cloud9

Robinknits
10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I received "Candy Corn" in the mail Saturday. Thanks Brenda for the goodies.

My fingers were just itching to knit on it and I finished my section last night. Wh

Secksiebrat
10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
The blankets are beautiful! I'll update the site this week!
JJ have you heard about smurfs yet? I believe it's with someone from ravelry but I haven't heard anything more. I'm next on the list and just want to know when/if I need to watch out for it!
Beautiful job ladies! :)

~danielle~

mamapaulsel
10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
We ROCK!! All of the blankets are so beautiful :heart: :thumbsup:

Secksiebrat
10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I thought since Ocean Waves is complete, Strawberry Sundae is on it's last knitter and Candy Corn is almost complete we should think about starting a couple new blankets.

Is there anyone that would like to start a blanket that hasn't already? I thought I would ask since you will be able to chose where the blanket it will be donated! If you don't have needles, we can arrange that for you, so don't let that hinder your decision to start one!

We've come up with a bunch of names in previous posts, feel free to use one of those or recommend some of your own! Make a post and then we'll get others to volunteer for it!

I also made a post on the ravelry boards in the oddball group about our region. Maybe we will get some newcomers to knit as well. I also updated our blog today! There isn't a new post but the previous posts have been updated and new pictures put up!

JJ, any word on the smurfs blanket yet?

Have a great Halloween!

~danielle~
:twisted:

KnittinMitchie
10-30-2008, 08:25 AM
I've got a set of needles and can cast one just let me know.

Robinknits
10-30-2008, 03:02 PM
"Candy Corn" is on it's way to Courtney (cdjack). Mailed it yesterday.

Tracking number:9101128882300466024267

cdjack
10-30-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll keep an eye out for "Candy Corn".

mamapaulsel
10-30-2008, 10:18 PM
I've got a great idea for a new blanket. Since we are in the Southwest region we should do one in Southwest colors. Like brown, tan, rust, turquoise, pink, etc. What do y'all think? It just hit me one night when I couldn't sleep. I know, I'm so addicted to knitting :teehee:

Shandeh
10-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Go Southwest! You're doing great work! :thumbsup:

KnittinMitchie
10-30-2008, 11:01 PM
sound good Brenda

lucky_alf2
10-31-2008, 03:03 AM
Great idea Brenda!!!

scrappygolden
10-31-2008, 07:55 AM
I've got a great idea for a new blanket. Since we are in the Southwest region we should do one in Southwest colors. Like brown, tan, rust, turquoise, pink, etc. What do y'all think? It just hit me one night when I couldn't sleep. I know, I'm so addicted to knitting :teehee:
Oh I love that idea Brenda! Funny how the best thoughts can come late in the night...

;)

cdjack
10-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Awesome idea, Brenda! Keep the ideas coming!

jjminarcik
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Awesome idea Brenda!

So. . . who wants to start it? I can send needles to you if you need them.

Still waiting to hear back on Smurfs. . .

I have Strawberry Sundae, but havn't finished it yet. My life has gotten surprisingly crazy/busy in the last few weeks and my poor knitting has been neglected. :pout:

Robinknits
10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
I'd like to start one (actually I already did!). This one will be given to someone I actually know - a 5 year old boy named Tyler. Tyler has leukodystrophy and has recently undergone chemo and a cord blood stem-cell transplant. He is in the hospital at Duke University. Here is his CaringBridge site. (http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tylerwaynemcadams)

We'll do this one in green's - his favorite color. So who want's to help with "Tyler's Blanket"?

Secksiebrat
10-31-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd love to knit on Tyler's Blanket! Please add me :) I do have animals (if we're concerned about allergies).

~danielle~

Robinknits
10-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks Danielle. Animals aren't a problem. I'll wash the blanket well before I send it.

cdjack
10-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Sign me up too, Robin.

I got "Candy Corn" in the mail today... the blanket and the candy. Yum!, thanks Robin. I'll pick out some yarn and get to work this weekend!

lucky_alf2
11-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Sign me up too, Robin!

jjminarcik
11-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey y'all!

I've been MIA for a few days - computer problems. :ick: Still not completely up and running, but DH is working on it! :thumbsup:

Smurfs - the current knitter hasn't been able to complete her section. Seems life has gotten in her way. Danielle - you're the next knitter, so I have asked her to go ahead and send it to you. But can you PM me your address? All my address info for everyone is on the crashed computer. :pout:

Robin - can you get a list of knitter's for Tyler's blanket?

Who wants to start the Southwest colors blanket? I can send needles if needed.

I'm going out of town until Thursday - hopefully my computer will be up and running by then. In the meantime, if blankets need to get moving, check the blog for the list and manage accordingly.

Thanks - y'all are the BEST!!

:muah::muah: