PDA

View Full Version : West Coast / Central Oddball Baby Blankets

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Shandeh
07-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Hello friendly charity knitters and crocheters!

We work together to make Oddball Baby Blankets for charity. Our blankets will be made according to the requests of our local hospital(s), so keep watching this thread to see our guidelines.

purlingkitten (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=28631) will be the leader for the West Coast / Central Region Oddball Baby Blankets.

The West Coast / Central Region includes: Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

If you would like to volunteer to help make our blankets, please send purlingkitten (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=28631) a private message, and she'll help you get started!

Our project will begin in August, so let's start our plans!

auburnchick
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi all!

I wanted to let you know that I'm excited that I will be coordinating the West Coast Oddball Baby Blanket project.

Please forgive me if it's slow going at first. Sandy is bringing me up to speed with the knitters and geography.

I'll be doing some research about where we want to donate our blankets. If you have any ideas, please speak up.

Please let me know if you want to join our efforts and if you have any comments and/or suggestions.

:muah:

gmmarton
07-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey Chick! You know I will help you out! Of course, I will be involved with the Northeast crowd as well. :woohoo: Too cool!

I made a good contact today at a local hospital. I chatted with the Child Life Therapist for Pediatrics; she was very delighted to hear that we will have some baby blankets for her newbies. She didn't put any parameters on what I was suggesting, so I would have to say it was a very successful discussion.

I'll be in touch!

auburnchick
07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks Gail! You're an amazing gal...so energetic and enthusiastic. I know that ultimately, we're all here for each other. That's what makes these projects so special.

Talk to you soon!

Shandeh
07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Go West Coast! :cheering:

auburnchick
07-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Here's a list of West Coast knitters...

jhelanee
Ladylou
pinnut3200
Tobinknit
PeattieWa
auntcrafty

We're blessed to have a couple of Ravelry members as well:

grannydani
nostash2big

Recruit your friends! Let's grow this group so we can knit up a bunch of blankets!

If you're interested in becoming a part of this group, please send me a PM.

Oh, and I'm trying to design a button, but I have no clue how to go about it. If anyone wants to help out with this, let me know.

Ladylou
07-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi There!

Oh, this really is very exciting:teehee: I'm so happy we're blessed to have such a great leader!:woohoo:

I'd be happy to help you design a button. I've had a little bit of experience with computer graphics (i took a class on it) so if you'd like I can make a few for you to pick from:aww: Send me a pm if you'd like!

Do we know how we're going to go about making the blankets? (i.e. squares or like we've done it in the past?):aww:

I hope everyone is doing well!

Love,
Lexie:muah:

auburnchick
07-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey Lexie!

Oh, please do design a button!

As far as the way we'll do the blankets, I think we should keep things as Shandeh set them up...each knitter knitting 4" and sending the blankets along to the next person. The blankets will be finished off with some sort of border.

I need to find some places to donate them to. I was hoping that we could donate a few to charities in each knitter's location (mine excluded since I'm outside of this region). Then, each knitter will have the opportunity and privilege of delivering blankets.

What do you think?

Each place would need to be contacted (I can handle this) to determine special requirements.

Ladylou
07-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi There!

I'll get right on it!:cheering: I should have two of them done within the next few days. Are there any color requirements and anything you dont want on it, Ms. Nathalie?:)

I really love the idea that we all get to pick a place where they go!:yay: Warm Woolies is a really really fantastic project (you can check them out here: http://www.warmwoolies.org) and is based in Denver which is pretty close to me. They really need the blankets (i've knit two ones by myself for them so far:) ) and I thought this might be a good idea for one place?:aww: I completely understand if ya'll want them to go to hospitals as that is the general mission of Oddball, but they would end up in orphanages in places like Russia and S. Africa:)

Love,

auburnchick
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I have no preferences on the colors for the buttons. I trust your judgment. :thumbsup:

As far as the charity, it doesn't matter to me...as long as we check them out and make sure our stuff is going to go where it needs to be.

I would like to know what places you pick so I can check them out for myself and make sure I'm familiar with all of the particulars...yarn requirements, size, etc.

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm, my friend. :muah:

Ladylou
07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey Ya'll!:heart:

Okay... I got excited:teehee: I have both of them donecloud9

Here are the two options that I came up with. when I uploaded them to photobucket some of the detailing got a little fuzzy but other than that I'm happy with how they turned out:) However, if any of ya'll dont like them please just let me know and I'll try to come up with something else:teehee:

Here is the first one:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/foroddball6.jpg

Here is the second one:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/foroddball4.jpg

Please let me know which one you like best!cloud9

Love,

auburnchick
07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Hmmm...tough choice.

I like the first one the best except for the baby, I think. Looks a little too real to me.

I really like the background and the lettering. I wonder how hard (or if it would even look good) to throw in knitting needles or yarn into that spot?

:??

Yeah, I have trouble even matching my clothes. I am not good at that kind of stuff.

Shandeh
07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Neat! It's so cool to see you working together on getting things set up for your area. :hug:

Ladylou
07-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi There!:hug:

Okay, I think I can definetely do that:teehee: I also found a pretty cute cartoon baby that I almost used, so I'll make another two to see which one you like best!cloud9 This is fun:teehee:

Love,

Update:

Here is the picture that I came up with!:D

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/foroddball10.jpg

Do you need any more changes done? I'm having tons of fun with this, so please dotn be afraid to ask!:teehee:

Love,

Shandeh
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Lexie, I love the designs you're making. I would recommend that you make one with LARGE LETTERS, because when the designs are made smaller, it's hard to read them.

So, the "extra" stuff should be small, and the letters should be big.
:thumbsup:

Ladylou
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi There!

Alrighty:heart: Thanks so much for the suggestion... if Ms. Nathalie needs any more changes made I'll just try to do it all at once:teehee:

Love,

auburnchick
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Lexie,

I really like the re-done button. The only suggestion I have is to maybe change the color of the text at the bottom from white to something darker. It's hard to read the part that lies on top of the yellow blanket.

Sandy had some good suggestions as well.

You're definitely on the right track! Thanks for all of your hard work. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy but just don't have time to do anymore.

auburnchick
07-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi all! We have another knitter on board to work on these blankets.

Please welcome Wyospinner. She and her sister will be joining us!

:cheering:

Shandeh
07-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Welcome Wyospinner, and her un-named sister! :)
:hug:

jhelanee
07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
In response to an earlier suggestion about a potential place to donate our blankets:
I personally strongly prefer that the blankets we work on stay here in the US. I think that for the size of blankets we are making, hospitals are the best destination (if we use similar measurements to what we have been doing they will be too small for most other charities).

I have numerous hospitals in my area, including one that specializes in high-risk pregnancies & neonatal intensive care as well as a dedicated children's hospital, so I will try to do some investigating to see if anyone up here (Seattle, WA) would be interested in receiving our blankets.

~Jennifer

(cross posted on Ravelry thread as well)

Ladylou
07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi There!

It is of great importance to me that the blankets that we spend so much love and time on go to a baby who would otherwise not have a blanket to keep them warm. I dont want to give the blankets to a hospital or anywhere else where the baby would be provided for whether or not they get our blankets. I want our blankets to keep a baby warm who would otherwise be cold. Warm Woolies does have a branch that sends blankets to a reservation in N. Dakota, U.S. A child is a child no matter where he or she is:)

Love,

auburnchick
07-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Woolies does have a branch that sends blankets to a reservation in N. Dakota, U.S.

Perhaps this would a good compromise. You would get to donate to a charity that you have a heart for, and the blankets we donate there would remain in the U.S. :wink:

Wyospinner
07-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Nathalie,
I am excited to work on oddball baby blankets. Thank you for your answer. I am not alergic to anything so put me where I am needed.

If it is okay with you my sister will just piggyback to me. She doesn't have a personal computer so it would just be easier for her to be connected with me. If you prefer her to be signed up in KnittingHelp I could do that from my computer. It is just whatever would work best for you. She is excited also to join in the fun.

Thanks again for the message. Bye for now - Kay

Wyospinner
07-12-2008, 12:15 AM
I love the idea of sending to an Indian reservation in N Dakota. Thank you for the suggestion Kay

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Nathalie,
I am excited to work on oddball baby blankets. Thank you for your answer. I am not alergic to anything so put me where I am needed.

If it is okay with you my sister will just piggyback to me. She doesn't have a personal computer so it would just be easier for her to be connected with me. If you prefer her to be signed up in KnittingHelp I could do that from my computer. It is just whatever would work best for you. She is excited also to join in the fun.

Thanks again for the message. Bye for now - Kay

Piggy-backing is fine, as long as I know when she has it. If you could PM me her mailing information, that would be helpful...just so I can keep up with the location of each blanket's temporary "home."

Glad you both are joining us!

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey Auburn. Just wondering if you still needed a "finisher". I'm available so just let me know. LOL all that I ask is you don't flood me with a bunch of blankets all at once.

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey Auburn. Just wondering if you still needed a "finisher". I'm available so just let me know. LOL all that I ask is you don't flood me with a bunch of blankets all at once.

You betcha! Didn't I tell you already?? You're the ONLY finisher I have so far. :teehee:

We'll try to be gentle. :thumbsup:

auntcrafty
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
:bump: and being nosy -- how many of us are signed up?

jhelanee
07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I can probably help with some finishing too...

auburnchick
07-14-2008, 05:08 PM
:bump: and being nosy -- how many of us are signed up?

Here's my list so far:

KH'ers:
jhelanee
Ladylou
pinnut3200
Tobinknit
PeattieWa
auntcrafty
Wyospinner
nannaknits

Ravelry'ers:
grannydani
nostash2big

We're growing!

Debkcs
07-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi! I wrote to Nathalie this morning and told her that I'd like to join.

One thing I'd like to add, I've worked Mother-Baby and NICU's, there are a lot of parents that need blankets and hats,etc. even if the hospital can supply a simple blanket. I've also worked on a total of eight reservations over the years, the govenment clinics give really nice baby packs to those moms who need them, not every American is so blessed.

I think the blankets should go to those in need of comfort.

jhelanee
07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I think the blankets should go to those in need of comfort.

looking in vain for the agree button before realize I am reading the KH, not Ravelry, forums

AGREE (1)

auburnchick
07-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Welcome Deb! I'm so glad you are joining us!

auburnchick
07-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Hey y'all!

I just finished creating a button for this project. Please let me know what you think!

I'm including two sizes. One is probably too big for a sig, though.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2676171932_9a1b27e07c_t.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2676171932_9a1b27e07c_m.jpg

Shandeh
07-17-2008, 12:07 AM
It looks great, but it's hard to read when it's small. :think:

Debkcs
07-17-2008, 01:45 AM
I like it also, but don't find the small one hard to read.

It's cute!

Debkcs
07-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Do we have any blankets going yet? I'd be happy to start one if someone will give me a push in the right direction.

Shandeh
07-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Deb, I think your group is starting blankets in August. And guess what? I'm sending some of the yarn you gave me to auburnchick to use for your region! :)

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I am eagerly awaiting Sandy's package, although I still have a set of needles from one of the most recently blankets I worked on (I was the last knitter).

Folks, we need to make a few decisions.

1) What kind of blankets do we want to make? Do we want to make worsted AND preemie? If you've never worked on these blankets before, here's the difference:

Worsted usually has about 100 stitches and is done in worsted weight acrylic. These blankets are a little thicker and a bit larger.

Preemie blankets are a little smaller because there are only about 90 stitches and made out of DK weight acrylic yarn.

Both are lovely...just different. I don't mind doing both types.

2) Charities: We need to decide which ones we want to donate to. I apologize that I've been slow on the ball on this one. I work about 30 hours a week, so I can't do as much research as I'd like. What I was hoping is that you would provide me with with a place near you, and then I would call that place to firm up details of what they will accept and special requirements for them. Some charities are very strict about the kinds of personal messages allowed, blanket sizes, etc.

So, if you can do the initial legwork for me, I'll do the follow-up, create documentation so we have it in black and white, and go from there.

3) Names for the blankets. Let's start brainstorming. I'll admit that I am not very creative. Oh, I can follow instructions, but the creative part...not in my natural make-up.

I had some thoughts, though...

Since we're from different states, I thought it might be fun to make some state-themed things...using state colors or mottos for ideas? Maybe famous landmarks would give us some ideas. Like California...how about "Gold Rush 'something or other." (see, I told you...my creative abilities are sketchy).

Anyhow...those are some of my thoughts...

FYI...I will be going out of town a couple of days next week and the week after (six day weekend, if you will), although I'll have my laptop with me and am notorious for posting messages while sitting on a soccer field. :teehee:

I'm probably going to take some of the stuff that Sandy sends me and cast on for some blankets.

So, let's get working, ladies!!!

I'm thrilled to be working with you, and I look forward to producing lots of love-filled, beautiful blankets.

:heart:

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Ok...I've been reading some of the other regions' threads, and I realize that I have got to step it up.

:::AuburnChick pulls up her bootstraps::::

Here are a few (proposed) names with proposed color schemes for blankets...

Gold Rush (yellows and white)
Orange Delight (orange and white)
Blueberry Bliss (blues and purples)
Strawberry Shortcake (pink, white, and purple)
Pacific Blues (blues)

Deb, please feel free to start a blanket. We'll wait to start mailing blankets out until August...just to give folks a chance to finish up some other things first.

Which one (or one of your own ideas) would you like to start? As each knitter volunteers, I'll add notes to my tracking spreadsheet.

jhelanee
07-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't worry about "running behind"! It's not August yet and my understanding was that was to be the start date for the next round - which to me means starting organization as well as actual knitting. So I don't feel we are behind, the others are just excited and have gotten ahead. ;-)
As far as size goes, I think we need to decide on charities before starting too many blankets. While the worsted weight ones we have been doing are probably fine for most hospitals, the preemie (DK/sport) ones are really quite small and probably only appropriate for places with neonatal ICUs. If we look at non-hospital charities, most of the guidelines I have seen request blankets at least 36" square so the baby doesn't grow out of them as rapidly.

From reading previous posts in this thread, it seems like we have participants who each feel strongly that our blankets should be donated to several different types of charities. I think our order of attack should be: Select 2-3 charities, assign blankets to each charity at the beginning so they are knit to the right specifications, allow knitters to sign up for the blankets they prefer, knit :knitting: . Every couple of months or X completed blankets we should reassess out charities and decided if we want to switch one of them (to spread the love around).

just my $0.02

Debkcs
07-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I just called Salem Hospital, here in my city in Oregon. Talked to a volunteer who told me they have a real need for blankets, both preemie and regular baby size. She asked me if we were a church group; because they are non-denominational they can't have a church name on the blankets, I told her no. She also said they ask that the yarn be one of the super soft baby acrylics (of course!). I 'guesstimated', after telling her that we're all basically from KH and Ravelry that we've probably made a thousand or so blankets for donation. That may be well over, but it seems that everytime I turn around someone from one of these two groups is sending charity work out.

I'll send the phone number to you, Nathalie,in a PM.

As far as where to send the blankets, I really don't care as long as they are needed, and like you, when it comes to being imaginative with names and designs, let's just say that's best left to others.

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks, y'all...for your input. Deb, thank you for calling the hospital. I appreciate you getting all of that information for us.

I think it's safe to say that we can work on both types of blankets, right? If nobody else finds a place to donate the preemie ones, we'll just designate the hospital in Salem as getting these.

As far as what we write in the cards that accompany the blankets, I think that probably signing a card with our names and states is the simplest thing to do. I know from reading some others' experiences, that we need to be very careful not to include religious references as well as too much about "growing up," "long life," etc., since many of the babies are very sickly.

The thing about timing the donations, picking charities, etc...

I want to make sure that we all feel included. I, personally, don't mind NOT delivering blankets. My personal satisfaction comes from having worked on the blankets, which is what I know all of you feel as well.

It might just be better to pick one or two, say one for the worsted and one for the preemie and just donate the blankets to these places. This keeps it simple. After say, six months (that's a lot of blankets too), we could switch it up...spread the love.

Whatcha think?

pinnut3200
07-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I prefer to work on worsted weight blankets, although I will knit on preemie blankets, too. I like the size of the needles better on the WW ones.

Potential Names:

Purple Mountains Majesty (purples and blues)
Desert Sand (tan, beige, pale green)
Disneyland (bright colors)
Rain Forest (greens & yellows)

I prefer to place a card in the package because it costs less to mail than the notebooks.

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm loving the names, Pinnut! And I agree with you about the little notebooks. The first knitter on each blanket can include a generic card for the others to sign. :thumbsup:

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I prefer to work on worsted weight blankets, although I will knit on preemie blankets, too. I like the size of the needles better on the WW ones.

Potential Names:

Purple Mountains Majesty (purples and blues)
Desert Sand (tan, beige, pale green)
Disneyland (bright colors)
Rain Forest (greens & yellows)

I prefer to place a card in the package because it costs less to mail than the notebooks.

Ladylou has offered to cast on Desert Sand.

We'll need five more volunteers. Takers?

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I came up with another name just now.

Grand Canyon Sunset

Wanna know where this came from? The name of my fingernail polish. I happened to look at the bottom of the bottle after painting my toenails tonight. I can already envision this blanket.

auntcrafty
07-18-2008, 10:48 PM
I came up with another name just now.

Grand Canyon Sunset

Wanna know where this came from? The name of my fingernail polish. I happened to look at the bottom of the bottle after painting my toenails tonight. I can already envision this blanket.

What does that look like?

I'm very limited with color choices of yarn here on the island -- Wal-mart has several Caron Simply Soft colors & I'm hoping they have blue (swiss cheese brain when I went in the other day) as I would like the idea of doing a Pacific Blue afghan. I would be happy to cast this on, if I can find some blue tomorrow.

As far as donating it to one of the hospitals here -- I hope to be able to check in with them next week, but would be happy to knit for other areas where warm blankets are needed more.

auburnchick
07-19-2008, 01:01 AM
The color of my polish is kind of a coral color. When I read the name, I immediately pictured the colors of a sunset...blues, oranges...

If you need some different colors of yarn, please let me know. I would be more than willing to send you some. Perhaps, if you discover that you want a certain color for a blanket, the knitter before you could send it to you.

The wonderful thing about these blankets is that they are called Oddball for a reason. The colors get crazy, and so do the patterns. Don't sweat it...everything will work out fine.

As far as starting a Pacific Blues, that sounds great...and perfect for where you are!

You can use size 8 or size 9 needles. I can send you some, if you need.

Do we have volunteers for Pacific Blues?

auburnchick
07-19-2008, 01:04 AM
We have a knitter who is very allergic to metal, so I think it would be best to make sure that all needles that travel with the blankets are either wood or plastic. NO metal.

Now, you can do like me and move stitches to your metal ones, knit with those, and then return the stitches to the original needles. I, personally, prefer to knit with my Options. So, this is what I do.

Thanks, all.

auntcrafty
07-19-2008, 03:03 AM
The color of my polish is kind of a coral color. When I read the name, I immediately pictured the colors of a sunset...blues, oranges...

If you need some different colors of yarn, please let me know. I would be more than willing to send you some. Perhaps, if you discover that you want a certain color for a blanket, the knitter before you could send it to you.

The wonderful thing about these blankets is that they are called Oddball for a reason. The colors get crazy, and so do the patterns. Don't sweat it...everything will work out fine.

As far as starting a Pacific Blues, that sounds great...and perfect for where you are!

You can use size 8 or size 9 needles. I can send you some, if you need.

Do we have volunteers for Pacific Blues?

I have to check at my place (house/pet sitting for employers) to see if I included my 8s in the boxes I just received in the mail. I'll check tomorrow when I drop some things off.

I like the colors you mentioned for the Grand Canyon, too. I was just in AZ last weekend. :)

Like the Purple Mountains Majesty -- purples are my favorite colors.

I'm willing to knit on any of them. Will wait for others to decide what they would like to do & let you know about the needles & yarn.

Debkcs
07-19-2008, 04:35 AM
I'll be happy to work on Pacific Blues! My favorite colors.

It must be a very hard life if one is allergic to metals, I can't even imagine such a thing.

Don't care about the size of needles I work on, as long as they are circulars, which I know we use.

Knitting, whoo hoo!

auburnchick
07-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Thank you, all, for your enthusiasm! I'm totally psyched to get things going!

I can send needles and yarn to anyone who needs it. Shandeh just put a package of them in the mail to me. I should receive it on Monday or Tuesday.

So far, I have Ladylou and possibly auntcrafty as needing a set. Anyone else?

pinnut3200
07-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I'll work on Grand Canyon Sunset, Desert Sand, and Purple Mountains Majesty

I will be ready to go in August.

Yikes! August is only two weeks a way! Where did the summer go? :figureditout:

Ladylou
07-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Everyone!:hug:

Thank you so much for offering to send needles for me to knit on, chick!cloud9 I'm so excited to start on Desert Sand you wouldnt even beleive it:teehee: I went stash shopping last night and found the perfect (!!!) yarn in a sandy tan:)

Hope everyone is doing fantastically in the heat;)

Love,

Shandeh
07-19-2008, 12:43 PM
We have a knitter who is very allergic to metal, so I think it would be best to make sure that all needles that travel with the blankets are either wood or plastic. NO metal.
Just to let you know, I sent a bunch of plastic circulars to that particular person last week. (Sorry to spoil the surprise) :psst:

So, she will have a few to choose from at her disposal. :thumbsup:

auntcrafty
07-19-2008, 08:35 PM
I have to check at my place (house/pet sitting for employers) to see if I included my 8s in the boxes I just received in the mail. I'll check tomorrow when I drop some things off.

I like the colors you mentioned for the Grand Canyon, too. I was just in AZ last weekend. :)

Like the Purple Mountains Majesty -- purples are my favorite colors.

I'm willing to knit on any of them. Will wait for others to decide what they would like to do & let you know about the needles & yarn.

I found Clover wooden size 8 (24") & size 9 (29") at Ben Franklin's this afternoon, plus bought 5 different colors of the Caron Simply Soft, so I'm good to go whenever you would like me to.

auburnchick
07-19-2008, 08:49 PM
That's awesome!

I have a couple of questions to ask Shandeh. Let me get some specifics before we cast on for our first blanket.

Oh, here's a list of knitters for Purple Mountains Majesty. I plugged in the names of those who mentioned that they want to work on it, along with the names of other knitters. Let me know if you need me to rearrange the list.

auntcrafty
pinnut3200
jhelanee
Tobinknit
grannydani (rav)
nannaknits (last section and border)

auburnchick
07-20-2008, 12:52 AM
I just created a blog for our project. You can find it here: http://westcoastoddballknitters.blogspot.com/

It's in its infancy and will get better as we go along. I'll be adding various elements soon.

PeattieWa
07-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Hey there, I am signed up to work on these blankets. I would like to work on the Disneyland themed one if possible. Am I correct in thinking that Caron Simply Soft is the yarn of choice for these?? I don't think I have any in my stash but should not be too hard to acquire some. Please enlighten me. Thanks Becky

auntcrafty
07-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Hey there, I am signed up to work on these blankets. I would like to work on the Disneyland themed one if possible. Am I correct in thinking that Caron Simply Soft is the yarn of choice for these?? I don't think I have any in my stash but should not be too hard to acquire some. Please enlighten me. Thanks Becky

No, you don't have to use Caron Simply Soft there are other yarns you can use. My stash is in a shipping container on it's way here, which is why I was looking for new yarn & needles. There are only two places on Maui that are easy for me to get to carrying yarn -- CSS is the only one on the list (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1106246&postcount=4) readily available.

auburnchick
07-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I would like to work on the Disneyland themed one if possible. Am I correct in thinking that Caron Simply Soft is the yarn of choice for these?? I don't think I have any in my stash but should not be too hard to acquire some. Please enlighten me. Thanks Becky

The only requirement is that the yarn be 100% acrylic and the correct weight (i.e. worsted for the larger baby blankets and dk for the preemie ones). :thumbsup:

A question for everyone...DO YOU SMOKE OR LIVE IN A HOME WITH A SMOKER? I want to make sure that those who are allergic to smoke work on the blankets first. We will, at the end, wash all of the blankets before donating them, but I want to be sensitive to those with allergies.

Please let me know so that I can make a notation on my chart.

Last night, I started plugging people's names into slots. I first put people specifically where requested. After that, I just filled in the blanks. There are still some empty slots...I didn't want to over-commit people. Please let me know if you need me to change things around or if you want to be added to a blanket.

This list doesn't take into account my casting on and sending them on to knitters, though, so I may drop off a knitter from one list and move them to another.

If you're first on the list and don't mind casting on, please let me know. I'll get some needles and yarn (if you need it) sent out to you.

Oh, and one more thing...none of these blankets have been designated as preemie blankets. We need to decide which ones are which. Any preferences? If not, I'll just designate them, and we'll run with it.

Pacific Blues
Debkcs
auntcrafty
grannydani (rav)
PeattieWa
ladylou
Need 1 knitter

Purple Mountains Magesty
auntcrafty
pinnut3200
jhelanee
Tobinknit
grannydani (rav)
nannaknits (will hopefully do the border too?)

Grand Canyon Sunset
auntcrafty
pinnut3200
Debkcs
Need 3 knitters

Desert Sand
ladylou
pinnut3200
Need 4 knitters

Strawberry Shortcake
grannydani (rav)
Wyospinner
Need 4 knitters

Rain Forest
nostash2big (rav)
ladylou
PeattieWa
Wyospinner
jhelanee
Need 1 knitter

Blueberry Bliss
jhelanee
nannaknits
Need 4 knitters

Orange Delight
Debkcs
nostash2big (rav)
Need 4 knitters

Disneyland
PeattieWa
Tobinknit
Debkcs
nostash2big (rav)
auntcrafty
Need 1 knitter

pinnut3200
07-20-2008, 10:15 AM
A question for everyone...[COLOR=Red]DO YOU SMOKE OR LIVE IN A HOME WITH A SMOKER

If you still need a knitter on Rain Forest, I will fill that slot.

I am a non-smoker. I have a lung condition so I would prefer to have non-smoking blankets.

I am also sensitive to pet smells, so please stress that pets not be allowed to lie on these blankets as people are knitting and that the blankets be placed in the bags when they are not being worked on. Thanks

tripletmomma
07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Can I join in? I'm fairly new to knitting but have crocheted for 15 years & have only ever made baby blankets ;) I'll work wherever I fit & if I can be fit into 2 blanket spots that's fine too, just not at the same time hopefully :)
I'm a smoker (not in the house but I want to make sure that's out there) & have 2 dogs who's hair ends up in everything I make no matter how well I keep it away from them, so I'd be happy to knit after anyone sensitive to pets/smoke.

If there is need for another place to donate blankets I'd be happy to talk to the NICU where my daughters spent their first few months. That hospital is the only level 3 NICU in the Denver(CO) Metro area & women with high risk pregancies from all over the state & region are sent there for monitoring & delivery. Also a large number of the states higher order multiples (triplets+) deliver there. It might be a great place for preemie blankets as the average triplet is 3.5lbs at birth.

auburnchick
07-20-2008, 07:19 PM
If you still need a knitter on Rain Forest, I will fill that slot.

I am a non-smoker. I have a lung condition so I would prefer to have non-smoking blankets.

I am also sensitive to pet smells, so please stress that pets not be allowed to lie on these blankets as people are knitting and that the blankets be placed in the bags when they are not being worked on. Thanks

Thanks, Nancy. That's why I've placed you among the first on the blankets.

Can I join in? I'm fairly new to knitting but have crocheted for 15 years & have only ever made baby blankets ;) I'll work wherever I fit & if I can be fit into 2 blanket spots that's fine too, just not at the same time hopefully :)
I'm a smoker (not in the house but I want to make sure that's out there) & have 2 dogs who's hair ends up in everything I make no matter how well I keep it away from them, so I'd be happy to knit after anyone sensitive to pets/smoke.

If there is need for another place to donate blankets I'd be happy to talk to the NICU where my daughters spent their first few months. That hospital is the only level 3 NICU in the Denver(CO) Metro area & women with high risk pregancies from all over the state & region are sent there for monitoring & delivery. Also a large number of the states higher order multiples (triplets+) deliver there. It might be a great place for preemie blankets as the average triplet is 3.5lbs at birth.

Welcome! :cheering:

I sent you a PM.

I'll add you to a couple of the blankets. If you have a preference of which ones, please let me know.

I think that for the first six months or so, we'll donate preemie blankets to a hospital near debkcs, but in six months or so (after we donate a few blankets there), we can always switch it up and donate a few to the hospital near you.

Does anybody know of any pregnancy centers or anything like that in need of the regular, worsted weight blankets?

PeattieWa
07-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't smoke or have pets....so no problems here. Thanks, Becky

auntcrafty
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm a non-smoker and there aren't any pets at my place. I will change my clothes before knitting when I get home from work -- need to anyway after spending 8 hours with 2 children, 2 dogs, & 2 cats -- so there will be less exposure to pet dander. I'm another one who is allergic to smoke and to scented products, especially hand lotions & perfume/cologne and fabric softeners.

The lists look good to me. I'm going to hold off on signing up for any other blankets, unless we don't get any takers.

PeattieWa
07-21-2008, 02:15 AM
I noticed that my name is at the top of the list on one of the blankets. If it's not too much trouble I would prefer not to be the one to cast on and start. I am totally willing to work on all blankets assigned to me but just don't feel comfortable being the one who starts. Thanks, Becky

auburnchick
07-21-2008, 08:11 AM
I noticed that my name is at the top of the list on one of the blankets. If it's not too much trouble I would prefer not to be the one to cast on and start. I am totally willing to work on all blankets assigned to me but just don't feel comfortable being the one who starts. Thanks, Becky

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to imply that you would be casting on. Unless someone specifically tells me that they want to get a blanket started, I'll do the casting on. We'll bump people down from there and adjust accordingly. So, if I've got five people listed, and I cast on, we've already really got our six knitters.

So, if you see yourself listed first, you're really second. Kind of like the joke...who's on first.

So sorry for not being more clear.

auburnchick
07-21-2008, 08:15 AM
I want to welcome another knitter to our group: Dimpledapple.

:woot:

Our group is growing!!!!

If you know of anyone who lives near you, you go to church with, etc. who wants to join this project, please let me know. People can join up ANY time.

So, here's an updated list of knitters...

KH'ers:
jhelanee
Ladylou
pinnut3200
Tobinknit
PeattieWa
auntcrafty
Wyospinner
nannaknits
tripletmomma
Knittinmitchie (primarily borders but will knit if needed)
Dimpledapple

Ravelry'ers:
grannydani
nostash2big

I'll update the blanket assignments later today. I'm on my way out the door to work.

Thank you, all, for your willingness to donate your time and effort to this most worthwhile cause.

:grphug:

jhelanee
07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
A question for everyone...DO YOU SMOKE OR LIVE IN A HOME WITH A SMOKER? I want to make sure that those who are allergic to smoke work on the blankets first. We will, at the end, wash all of the blankets before donating them, but I want to be sensitive to those with allergies.
No smoking/pets here. I do have allergies so would prefer not to work immediatally after a smoking/pet home, but after a delay should be fine.

Purple Mountains Magesty
auntcrafty
pinnut3200
jhelanee
Tobinknit
grannydani (rav)
nannaknits (will hopefully do the border too?)

If nannaknits doesn't want to do the border you can shift me to the end and I'll do it.

Rain Forest
nostash2big (rav)
ladylou
PeattieWa
Wyospinner
jhelanee
Need 1 knitter

Blueberry Bliss
jhelanee
nannaknits
Need 4 knitters

If we designate "Blueberry Bliss" as a preemie blanket, I can cast it on. I have needles (metal, but if our allergic knitter isn't on this particular blanket it shouldn't be an issue, right?) and a bunch of blue yarn left over from an oddball preemie blanket I just finished that would be perfect for this. I can even send some yarn along for the next knitters. I am happy to do the border on "Rain Forest" as well.

I think that three blankets is the max I can commit to at the moment. If it is OK with the other knitters on the blanket, I will probably wait a couple weeks to cast on "Blueberry Bliss" so I have a bit of a break from Oddball Knitting.

~Jennifer

auburnchick
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
No smoking/pets here. I do have allergies so would prefer not to work immediatally after a smoking/pet home, but after a delay should be fine.

If nannaknits doesn't want to do the border you can shift me to the end and I'll do it.

If we designate "Blueberry Bliss" as a preemie blanket, I can cast it on. I have needles (metal, but if our allergic knitter isn't on this particular blanket it shouldn't be an issue, right?) and a bunch of blue yarn left over from an oddball preemie blanket I just finished that would be perfect for this. I can even send some yarn along for the next knitters. I am happy to do the border on "Rain Forest" as well.

I think that three blankets is the max I can commit to at the moment. If it is OK with the other knitters on the blanket, I will probably wait a couple weeks to cast on "Blueberry Bliss" so I have a bit of a break from Oddball Knitting.

~Jennifer

Thanks for the information, Jennifer! I've updated my spreadsheet.

Blueberry Bliss is officially a preemie blanket. Please feel free to cast on when you are ready.

I agree with you in that we should wait at least a couple of weeks. I know that we have new knitters who are very eager to begin, but there are a few of us who just finished a round of blankets and do need a bit of a rest. My main goal with all of the correspondence is to put a plan in place and execute it when we are ready.

KnittinMitchie
07-21-2008, 06:28 PM
I would be one of those knitters who is still finishing up a round of blankets. I've got 2 odd balls left to do along with Austin's Blanket and Mason's Mom's Blanket. :)

OH I forgot. I have a dog but she is forbidden from my office area/bedroom. we don't allow her on the bed so I know my bed is 98% dog fur free.

auburnchick
07-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Desert Sand is on the move! :woohoo:

Ladylou finished casting on (picture will follow soon), and pinnut3200 is waiting for it to arrive. Here's a list of knitters for this blanket:

Desert Sand
ladylou - finished
pinnut3200
Dimpledapple
nostash2big (rav)
nannaknits
tripletmama (do you want to do the border too?)

I thought I would go ahead and bring some of our newer members on board with the first blanket.

Please let me know if you need to be removed from this one or switched around.

Ladylou
07-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Hi Everyone!:hug:

Desert Sands was posted to Ms. Nancy Today!:heart: I will post pictures tomorrow, and here is the delivery conformation:

0307 0020 0001 7895 1092

Hope everyone is well:heart:

Love,

tripletmomma
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Desert Sand is on the move! :woohoo:

Ladylou finished casting on (picture will follow soon), and pinnut3200 is waiting for it to arrive. Here's a list of knitters for this blanket:

Desert Sand
ladylou - finished
pinnut3200
Dimpledapple
nostash2big (rav)
nannaknits
tripletmama (do you want to do the border too?)

I thought I would go ahead and bring some of our newer members on board with the first blanket.

Please let me know if you need to be removed from this one or switched around.

Works for me! & yes I'll border too :)

Ladylou
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi There Everyone!:heart:

Here is a picture of Desert Sands:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/WCOddballDesertSands.jpg

My photography needs some work, but its nice and soft:teehee:

Love,
lexie:muah:

auburnchick
07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Lexie,

That is one pretty blanket!!! Thanks for posting the picture. :hug:

pinnut3200
07-25-2008, 06:08 PM
I received Desert Sand this afternoon, and I started adding my section.

Thank you Ladylou for the tea. :hug:

Nathalie, would you please send me a copy of the instruction sheet for the Oddball Blankets, so I can put it in the bag with the blanket and its card? Some of our new members might need it for reference.

auburnchick
07-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi all!

Grannydani (Ravelry) will be casting on Apricot Shortcake. We changed the name from Strawberry Shortcake because she has apricot-looking yarn.

This is going to be a worsted weight blanket.

Here's a short list of knitters...

Casting on: grannydani (rav)
2nd Knitter: PeattieWa
3rd Knitter: Wyospinner

We need 3 more knitters and a border person.

Takers?

Debkcs
07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
You can certainly add my name if you want. I can probably find some yarn to go with it. :)

KnittinMitchie
07-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi all!

Grannydani (Ravelry) will be casting on Apricot Shortcake. We changed the name from Strawberry Shortcake because she has apricot-looking yarn.

This is going to be a worsted weight blanket.

Here's a short list of knitters...

Casting on: grannydani (rav)
2nd Knitter: PeattieWa
3rd Knitter: Wyospinner

We need 3 more knitters and a border person.

Takers?

I'm your gal for the border. just let me know.

pinnut3200
07-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Desert Sand is ready to travel

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/2702958106_c24d85fc5a.jpg

I used Simply Soft (Cedar) and a block pattern.

Where is this blanket going next? :???:

auburnchick
07-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Nice job, Nancy! It's beautiful (and you do FAST work!). :inlove:
I'll post the picture on our blog (as soon as I get back from the soccer game later -- I'm in VA at a soccer tournament).

I'll check with the next knitter.

KnittinMitchie
07-26-2008, 02:08 PM
I have a perfect yarn for the border :) and it look wonderful.

auburnchick
07-26-2008, 03:30 PM
I have a perfect yarn for the border :) and it look wonderful.

Your taste is always impeccable, my friend. :hug:

pinnut3200
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Desert Sand is drifting to DimpledApple in CA

Confirmation # 0307 3330 0001 2200 0093

;)

auburnchick
07-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Hello fellow knitters!

I went away for the weekend...long drive up to Virginia to a soccer tournament...

So, I had a lot of time to knit. I cast on two blankets.

Here's Grand Canyon Sunset. I used Caron Simply Soft. The color is Mango (9502), and the pattern is called Purl Triangles from my book, knit & purl.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/2711879203_fb2777d415.jpg

The second blanket I cast on is Purple Mountains Majesty. I used Caron Simply Soft, and the color is Violet (9908). The pattern is called Reverse Stockinette Stitch Chevrons (from the same book).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2711875819_181d41cf41.jpg

KnittinMitchie
07-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Those look wonderful Aubrun. :) Can you tell me the title of your book that you've used? I know you said knit & purl was wondering if that was the full title

auburnchick
07-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Those look wonderful Aubrun. :) Can you tell me the title of your book that you've used? I know you said knit & purl was wondering if that was the full title

Yep...that's the full title. You can find out more about the book here (http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Guide-Knit-Stitches-Guides/dp/1596680563/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217376329&sr=8-1).

Oh, and can you clarify...which border are you going to do? Was it Desert Sand that you said you have the perfect yarn for?

TY.

auburnchick
07-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Hi all!

With the blankets starting to go out, and with new knitters in the group, I thought I would post some guidelines (I just posted this on Ravelry too)...

Here's how the blankets work...

Typically, knitters volunteer for the blankets they want to work on. I put people into place on a few just to get the ball rolling.

The first knitter will cast on, knit their bit, and then let me know when they are done and ready to mail the package. I will check with the next knitter to ensure that they are ready. There have been times when a knitter has become tied up or just needs to be skipped. In that case, I'll move on to the next knitter. When that person confirms that they are ready, I'll send the address to the knitter who has the blanket.

When mailing the blankets, make sure you keep the live stitches on the needles, leaving a tail of yarn for the next knitter to join onto. The sheet that accompanies the blanket will have specific instructions on how to end your portion.

Place the blanket in a plastic baggie of some sort to protect it, and send it along with the instruction sheet to the next knitter. Please make sure you purchase DELIVERY CONFIRMATION (not signature confirmation or certified return receipt). Delivery Confirmation allows us to track the blanket, should a problem arise.

Send the Delivery Confirmation # to me, just so I'll have it.

And, that's it!

We love it when knitters take pictures of the blankets as they finish their portions, but it's not mandatory. It's fun to post the pictures on the threads and blog.

Hope I've explained things clear enough. If not, please let me know, and I'll make sure I clarify anything I've managed to muddle up.

auburnchick
07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Grand Canyon Sunset will go out in the mail tomorrow to Pinnut3200. I've already PM'd the Delivery Confirmation #.

auburnchick
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey y'all!

I want to cast on the Disneyland blanket, but I have no idea what pattern I want to do. Any suggestions on pattern and color?

Thanks!

Shandeh
07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Lookin' good so far! :thumbsup:

KnittinMitchie
07-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Yup it was dessert sands I had a good yarn for.

Dimpledapple
07-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Hey y'all!

I want to cast on the Disneyland blanket, but I have no idea what pattern I want to do. Any suggestions on pattern and color?

Thanks!

Disneyland is all about bright primary colors! So maybe you could start out with red -- not that it's my favorite color or anything...:shifty: Can't wait to see the finished blanket!!

Debkcs
07-30-2008, 02:56 AM
I love the Disney Character Colors. Donald Duck Blue, Minnie Mouse Yellow, Goofy Brown, Mickey Mouse White (gloved hands), Cinderella Pink, Daisy Duck Purple, Dumbo Gray . . .

This site has a lot of cool Disney stuff:

http://home.disney.go.com/characters

I worked there while in school, for a bit, and have never gotten over it. :heart:

auburnchick
07-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Disneyland is all about bright primary colors! So maybe you could start out with red -- not that it's my favorite color or anything...:shifty: Can't wait to see the finished blanket!!

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought too. I don't have red yarn, so I thought I would use blue.

I love the Disney Character Colors. Donald Duck Blue, Minnie Mouse Yellow, Goofy Brown, Mickey Mouse White (gloved hands), Cinderella Pink, Daisy Duck Purple, Dumbo Gray . . .

This site has a lot of cool Disney stuff:

http://home.disney.go.com/characters

I worked there while in school, for a bit, and have never gotten over it. :heart:

I was hoping to find a pattern for Mickey ears or a glove...something I could do in about 30-40 rows.

:??

gmmarton
07-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey Chick...love your blankets! You are too clever! :muah:

nannaknits
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi All, I hope all is well with everyone. I have been out of town and couldn't check the site. Talk about withdrawals...Any way I see that I am on the Purple Mountain Magesty blankie (I love the name by the way) if you still want me to add the border to the blankie, I can do that, no problem. But because it too me so long to answer and you have assigned someone else that is okay too. Also I would be willing to work on more than one blankie if I am needed. I should be able to check our page regularly now.

KnittinMitchie
07-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Put me down on Apricot Short cake as well as Blue Berry Bliss as the last knitter and then I'll just do the border while I have it. And Dessert Sands was the blanket i have the perfect yarn for the border for.

auburnchick
07-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi All, I hope all is well with everyone. I have been out of town and couldn't check the site. Talk about withdrawals...Any way I see that I am on the Purple Mountain Magesty blankie (I love the name by the way) if you still want me to add the border to the blankie, I can do that, no problem. But because it too me so long to answer and you have assigned someone else that is okay too. Also I would be willing to work on more than one blankie if I am needed. I should be able to check our page regularly now.

No problem, my friend. I still have you down to do the border for Purple Mountains Majesty. I think I had a brain lapse and put down two border people for Desert Sand. When knittinmitchie said she had the perfect yarn for it, I just put her in that spot.

Put me down on Apricot Short cake as well as Blue Berry Bliss as the last knitter and then I'll just do the border while I have it. And Dessert Sands was the blanket i have the perfect yarn for the border for.

Thanks a bunch!

auburnchick
07-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Here's the newest list of knitters and blankets...

Pacific Blues
Debkcs
auntcrafty
grannydani (rav)
PeattieWa
ladylou
NEED 1 KNITTER
knittinmitchie (border)

Purple Mountains Majesty
auburnchick - DONE
auntcrafty - WAITING FOR THE BLANKET
pinnut3200
jhelanee
Tobinknit
grannydani (rav)
nannaknits (border)

Grand Canyon Sunset
auburnchick - DONE
pinnut3200 - WAITING FOR THE BLANKET
Dimpledapple
auntcrafty
Debkcs
tripletmomma (will do the border too)

Desert Sand
ladylou - DONE
pinnut3200 - DONE
Dimpledapple - WAITING FOR THE BLANKET
nostash2big (rav)
nannaknits
tripletmama
knittinmitchie (border)

Apricot Shortcake
grannydani (rav) (casting on)
PeattieWa
Wyospinner
Debkcs
nannaknits
knittinmitchie (6th knitter and border)

Rain Forest
pinnut3200 (cast on)
nostash2big (rav)
ladylou
PeattieWa
Wyospinner
jhelanee (6th knitter and border)

Blueberry Bliss - Preemie
jhelanee
nannaknits
grannydani (rav)
Tobinknit
NEED 1 KNITTER
knittinmitchie (6th knitter and border)

Disneyland
auburnchick (cast on)
PeattieWa
Tobinknit
Debkcs
nostash2big (rav)
auntcrafty
knittinmitchie (border)

tripletmomma
07-30-2008, 09:38 PM

I don't know about the book, but I wanted to let you know both patterns as well as lots of others great for odlball blankets can be found through links on this sticky:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79558
HTH's :)

Dimpledapple
07-31-2008, 02:13 AM
Auburnchick, you can also put me down for Pacific Blues. Again, thanks for heading this up :hug:

auburnchick
07-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Auburnchick, you can also put me down for Pacific Blues. Again, thanks for heading this up :hug:

Very cool!

All slots have been filled on Pacific Blues! Here's the list:

Pacific Blues
Debkcs
auntcrafty
grannydani (rav)
PeattieWa
ladylou
dimpledapple
knittinmitchie (border only)

Debkcs
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey Nathalie, if you need someone else for Blueberry Bliss, put me down. Although with how I'm positioned on the others it looks like they'd all come at once. :knitting:

auburnchick
07-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey Nathalie, if you need someone else for Blueberry Bliss, put me down. Although with how I'm positioned on the others it looks like they'd all come at once. :knitting:

Thank you, Deb. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of knitters who haven't been placed on too many blankets yet. I will definitely let you know though!

auburnchick
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
grannydani from Ravelry just informed me that she finished the first part of Apricot Shortcake and mailed it to PeattieWa. Woo Hoo!!! :woohoo:

I'm trying to wrangle a picture from her. :teehee:

auburnchick
07-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Purple Mountains Majesty is on its way to auntcrafty. I've PM'd her the delivery confirmation #.

auntcrafty
07-31-2008, 10:08 PM
I'll be on the look out for it!

Have to admit I was freaking about participating last night -- performance anxiety -- calmed down when reminded I am knitting this out of my love for children & wanting to touch their lives as well as their parents.

auburnchick
07-31-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll be on the look out for it!

Have to admit I was freaking about participating last night -- performance anxiety -- calmed down when reminded I am knitting this out of my love for children & wanting to touch their lives as well as their parents.

You know, I did too...for the first few blankets I worked on. Once I figured out that nobody is judging your work, and that it IS for charity, I relaxed. Now, I look at it as an opportunity to try new stitches. It's a lot of fun and for a good cause.

Dimpledapple
08-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Desert Sand was waiting for me when I got home from work tonight!

Pinnut, thank you so much for the goodies :hug:

I'll let you guys know as soon as I'm ready to send it to the next knitter.

Shandeh
08-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Enjoy working on your blankets, West Coast Region!
Be good to your new leader! :muah:

Dimpledapple
08-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Desert Sand is ready for the next knitter!! :happydance:
The yarn is Red Heart Soft Yarn, color 4601 (off white), and I used the single chevron pattern.

KnittinMitchie
08-04-2008, 07:10 AM
WOW Desert Sands looks good and is coming along really quickly :)

auburnchick
08-04-2008, 08:08 AM
What a darling blanket! I love the pattern you used! :inlove:

pinnut3200
08-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I received Grand Canyon Sunset in today's mail along with a needle to start Rain Forest.

Thanks for the tea, Nathalie :heart:

auntcrafty
08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh my yes -- it's wonderful!

auburnchick
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I received Grand Canyon Sunset in today's mail along with a needle to start Rain Forest.

Thanks for the tea, Nathalie :heart:

:cheering: I'm glad it arrived safe and sound!

PeattieWa
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Apricot shortcake aka Rainbow Sherbert has arrived in Washington.Danielle renamed the blanket since the yarn she used has the lovely soft colors of sherbert. I'll be adding my section using Jamie in a soft peach color. Hopefully my son will be able to help me download a picture of it before I send it on. Becky

auburnchick
08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Apricot shortcake aka Rainbow Sherbert has arrived in Washington.Danielle renamed the blanket since the yarn she used has the lovely soft colors of sherbert. I'll be adding my section using Jamie in a soft peach color. Hopefully my son will be able to help me download a picture of it before I send it on. Becky

Y'all are too funny! I've made the name change on my spreadsheet and the blog.

Thanks for letting me know you received the blanket. I can't wait to see your addition! :hug:

auntcrafty
08-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Purple Mountains Majesty has landed in Maui! Love the purple you did, Nathalie! Thank you for the yarn! :muah: I have 2 friends expecting within the next 6 months, so I know it will be put to good use.

I'm deciding between two purples to use, then I will get to work. :knitting:

auburnchick
08-05-2008, 08:16 AM
:happydance:

I am so glad!! It didn't take long either, did it! That purple was really hard to photograph. I'm glad you like it. The thing about it is that it is SO soft!!!!

I can't wait to see what you add to the blanket!

pinnut3200
08-05-2008, 06:20 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/2736099863_d58270ea05.jpg

Rain Forest is ready to begin its journey.

The moss green yarn does not allow the stitch to be visible in the photograph. I used a Single Chevron stitch.

pinnut3200
08-05-2008, 06:21 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/2736934020_6ce5d79889.jpg

Grand Canyon Sunset is ready to go to the next knitter. This one is going to be a bright one. I was going to use a muted tone of the Mango, and it didn't look very good.

KnittinMitchie
08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
they look good pinnut

auburnchick
08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Pinnut, you're a knitting maniac!! :hug:

I love the blankets!!!! :inlove:

auburnchick
08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Grand Canyon Sunset is ready to go to the next knitter. This one is going to be a bright one. I was going to use a muted tone of the Mango, and it didn't look very good.

You can never go wrong with orange and blue (Auburn's colors, btw). :teehee:

It actually looks like the top of the mountains meeting the sky. Very pretty!

Dimpledapple
08-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Desert Sand is on the road again! I sent it out today to nostash2big.

Delivery confirmation #0414 3364 8130 2311 0895

Shandeh
08-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Great work, West Coast!

And auntcrafty, I wish I could come and visit you. I've always dreamed of seeing Hawaii one day. :pray:

pinnut3200
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Rain Forest is on its way to Colorado (Sorry, I can't remember the name of who is getting it)

Confirmation # 0307 3330 0001 2200 0185

:thumbsup:

Grand Canyon Sunset is on its way to California (DimpledApple)

Confirmation # 0307 3330 0001 2200 0178

auntcrafty
08-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I would love to have company, but had to put on a "hold" on any potential visitors since I haven't unpacked all the way yet -- just the essentials ~ clothes, cookware, dishes, silverware, yarn, knitting needles, patterns, etc. I'm still looking for someone to help me put my futon together. One of my nanny friends offered to come, but she's a little busy right now.

PeattieWa
08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
I finished my part last night and it will soon be moving on to the next knitter. Unfortunately we have not been able to upload a picture. I just need to know wehre to send it next. Becky

auburnchick
08-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I finished my part last night and it will soon be moving on to the next knitter. Unfortunately we have not been able to upload a picture. I just need to know where to send it next. Becky

PM'd you. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
08-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I would love to have company, but had to put on a "hold" on any potential visitors since I haven't unpacked all the way yet -- just the essentials ~ clothes, cookware, dishes, silverware, yarn, knitting needles, patterns, etc. I'm still looking for someone to help me put my futon together. One of my nanny friends offered to come, but she's a little busy right now.
Yeah....I can only dream of visiting anyway. No money for a trip like that. :pout: One day, though....ONE DAY! :pray:

Wyospinner
08-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Hello from Wyoming. I would like to be added to the Blueberry Bliss if you are still needing a knitter. I see I need to pay better attention if I want to get in on the action. Happy Knitting- Kay :knitting:

auburnchick
08-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Hello from Wyoming. I would like to be added to the Blueberry Bliss if you are still needing a knitter. I see I need to pay better attention if I want to get in on the action. Happy Knitting- Kay :knitting:

Yay! You found us!!! I'm so happy cause I was worried about you!

I've added you as the last knitter on the Blueberry Bliss blanket. Here's the updated list for that blanket:

Blueberry Bliss - Preemie
jhelanee
nannaknits
grannydani (rav)
Purlingkitten
Tobinknit
wyospinner
knittinmitchie (border)

Keep in mind that Blueberry Bliss hasn't been cast on yet. jhelanee is going to wait until after the Olympics since she's involved in a project.

I'll add you to another blanket, in the meantime, so you'll have something to work on a bit sooner.

pinnut3200
08-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Hello Wyospinner from a fellow Wyomingite! I'm glad you are here and a part of our group. You will enjoy working on the Oddball blankets. Welcome :balloons:

PeattieWa
08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Rainbow Sherbert is on it's way to Oregon...The confirmation #is03073330000178843897. Looking forward to the next blanket coming my way. Becky

Dimpledapple
08-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Grand Canyon Sunset arrived today! And thanks for the treats, Pinnut:hug: How did you know coffee candy is my favorite?? ;)

auntcrafty
08-12-2008, 12:36 AM
I tried to mail Purple Mountains Majesty today, but got caught at work and arrived after all the post offices had closed (checked three). Ladybug & I will do it first thing tomorrow morning and I'll post the confirmation info during naptime.

Here are two pictures of the blanket --
I did a simple moss stitch using Caron's Simply Soft in Orchid.

One of the reasons I got caught at work was DB called MB while we were doing our transition and while trying to distract the kiddos spotted this --

Horizontal Rainbow

Also had two parking boots on which refused to move until I distracted them with this one.
Rainbow I promised Bug I would take a picture of as I was leaving (so he would let me leave!).

Any way, by the time the parking boots were removed and I was allowed to finally drive off, it was 4:30 when all the PO close.

Debkcs
08-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Recieved the Orange Sherbet blankie today, I'll find some yarn and start on it tomorrow.

Thank you!

pinnut3200
08-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the photos of Purple Mountains Majesty.

I love the blanket, :heart: adore the rainbows, :muah: and dislike parking boots. :grrr:

I'll watch the mail for the package. Thanks.

PeattieWa
08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Glad it arrived safely!! Becky

auntcrafty
08-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the photos of Purple Mountains Majesty.

I love the blanket, :heart: adore the rainbows, :muah: and dislike parking boots. :grrr:

I'll watch the mail for the package. Thanks.

The parking boots were the two children I nanny for. Bug is fascinated by Disney's Cars movie, so he likes to pretend to be a parking boot when he doesn't want me to leave at the end of the day. Then Ladybug does everything she sees big brother doing. They really are great parking boots. The real parking boots are earned.

Here is the confirmation number for PMM blanket --

I almost had to rip the package open for the clerk when I explained what was inside. She wanted to see it.

Anyway, it's on it's way to you!

Shandeh
08-13-2008, 07:00 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble1/19.gif

auburnchick
08-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi y'all! Just checking in.

Blankets are being worked on, so that's good.

Nostash2big, from Ravelry, has offered to start another blanket, since she's got the yarn for it. The new blanket will be called Autumn Reds, and it will be a worsted weight blanket. We thought we would do reds, such as cranberry, candy apple, and other such shades.

So far, I've got two knitters for it...Nostash2big and Purlingkitten. We need four more knitters. Anyone want to volunteer?

It will be a little while before this blanket gets going. She's got two other blankets to work on first.

Dimpledapple
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Ooh -- I LOVE red :inlove: Sign me up!!

nannaknits
08-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I would be willing to do the reds also or crochet the border. But if someone who is new wants to knit by all means let them go first.

KnittinMitchie
08-17-2008, 09:51 AM
:) I'm glad there is someone else to crochet borders :) I think i've started running or of new ideas.

auburnchick
08-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Nostash2big (Ravelry) finished knitting her portion of Rain Forest. It's turning out so great!!! :inlove:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2771437739_9bfac1660b.jpg

pinnut3200
08-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Purple Mountain Majesty arrived in Wyoming today. Thank you, auntcrafty for the yummy taffy and eyelash yarn.

auntcrafty
08-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Yippee! I just tried to check the usps to see where it was.

You're welcome!

Dimpledapple
08-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Grand Canyon Sunset is on its way to auntcrafty in Hawaii! Delivery Confirmation #: 0414 3364 8130 2311 1991

Here's a picture. I know the yarn looks green, but don't worry! My camera is taking its time in being cooperative :nails: I used Red Heart Soft Yarn in Honey, so it's actually more of a golden hue.

auntcrafty
08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Will be on the look out for Grand Canyon Sunset.

Love the blanket -- what stitch did you use?

Debkcs
08-19-2008, 06:48 PM
"Orange Sherbet" is on it's way to California!!

DCN 0308 0660 0001 1169 5800

I used two strands of Softee Baby in a lavender that worked off one of the cast on colors, at least under the lights at Walmart. Turned out I liked it, as it reminded me of the lavender ices they serve on the beaches of Provence.

Hope it stays cool enough in California for the whole package ;) :)

Dimpledapple
08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Will be on the look out for Grand Canyon Sunset.

Love the blanket -- what stitch did you use?

Thanks! I knit 6 rows using moss stitch and then 4 rows in stockinette :)

pinnut3200
08-20-2008, 10:22 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2783169578_056f71ea33.jpg

Purple Mountain Majesty is ready for the next knitter.

I used Simply Soft Grape for my section and used the Andalusian Stitch (http://knitting.about.com/od/stitchglossary/g/andalusian.htm).

auburnchick
08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
So pretty!!!! :inlove:

auntcrafty
08-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Boy you're quick! Looks lovely!

pinnut3200
08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Boy you're quick! Looks lovely!

I was on a sugar buzz from the salt water taffy you sent. It is quite tasty. Please thank the children for their selection. :muah:

auntcrafty
08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I was on a sugar buzz from the salt water taffy you sent. It is quite tasty. Please thank the children for their selection. :muah:

:teehee: Bug was just wondering "what taffy?" & "why didn't I get some?" You would think he had been into it this morning!

He asked me to just send you this -- :knitting: & to say "you're welcome". Ladybug is signing "thank you". Too cute!

auburnchick
08-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Would y'all mind terribly if I switch up the ending order of knitters on Purple Mountains Majesty?

Here's the way it is now:

jhelanee
Tobinknit
grannydani (rav)
nannaknits

Here's how I would like to rearrange it:

Tobinknit
grannydani (rav)
jhelanee
nannaknits

Would this be okay?

nannaknits
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Got the blanket today Thank You Deb for sending the mints, They are my favorite. I'll start knitting right away and post pictures before I send it on. Dottie

Shandeh
08-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Hello, my friends! :waving:
I just updated the original Oddball Baby Blanket blog with links to all the blogs for the different regions of our project!
http://babyoddball.blogspot.com/

auburnchick
08-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Hi folks! We have ANOTHER knitter! :yay:

It's sepenguins, from Ravelry. If you're over there, give her a holler. She's very enthusiastic and can't wait to start working on the blankets.

I've got a complete list of knitters for Autumn Reds:

nostash2big (rav)
Dimpledapple
Purlingkitten
sepenguins
wyospinner
nannaknits (border too)

Y'all ROCK!

Debkcs
08-22-2008, 04:01 AM
I'm so glad it got there!

Thank You Deb for sending the mints

Now, how did I know that?:think: Mine too, hope they didn't melt!

auntcrafty
08-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Arizona Grand Canyon has arrived in Hawaii!

Thank you, Tania for the mints and note paper!

Ladylou
08-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi Everyone!:heart:

I just wanted to check in and say that nostash2big over at Ravelry has let me know that Rainforest is on its way over here:woohoo: I'm excited! (and already have the yarn picked outcloud9 )

Hope ya'll are doing great!!:hug:

Love,

Shandeh
08-23-2008, 03:23 AM
Great work, West Coasters! :muah:

pinnut3200
08-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Purple Mtns. Majesty in the mail today to Tobinknit

Confirmation # 0307 3330 0001 2200 0338

auburnchick
08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
New Member Alert, New Member Alert

:teehee:

Hey y'all! The excitement is catching on! We just gained a new member...

Her name is kaniger (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/member.php?u=28978). It looks like she might be a new member of KH too (or else she's been lurking).

Please give her a WARM welcome.

auburnchick
08-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi all!

I'm itching to start a new blanket...especially since we've had some new members join up lately.

I'm thinking maybe the one I'll cast on will include California's state colors, since our newest member hails from that state. The colors are gold and blue (I found this (http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/colors/ca_colors.htm) site that explained how the colors were selected).

http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/colors/images/ca_colors.gif

Whatcha think?

I was thinking maybe we could do the two colors in stripes, alternating between blue and gold. We can have the yarn travel with the blanket so the same gold and blue gets used throughout.

I'm not sure about a name though. :??

Anyhow, here's a list I took the

auburnchick (cast on)
kaniger
sepenguins

We'll need three more knitters plus someone to do the border.

Volunteers?

Oh, and if you think this is a dumb idea, please let me know. I won't take it personally. I'm just so excited about having new knitters that I want to get them busy!

kaniger
08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for such a warm welcome Nathalie!

I have been lurking around KH for a little while now and can't wait to get my first blanket project!! What a great project!

KnittinMitchie
08-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi all!

I'm itching to start a new blanket...especially since we've had some new members join up lately.

I'm thinking maybe the one I'll cast on will include California's state colors, since our newest member hails from that state. The colors are gold and blue (I found this (http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/colors/ca_colors.htm) site that explained how the colors were selected).

http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/colors/images/ca_colors.gif

Whatcha think?

I was thinking maybe we could do the two colors in stripes, alternating between blue and gold. We can have the yarn travel with the blanket so the same gold and blue gets used throughout.

I'm not sure about a name though. :??

Anyhow, here's a list I took the

auburnchick (cast on)
kaniger
sepenguins

We'll need three more knitters plus someone to do the border.

Volunteers?

Oh, and if you think this is a dumb idea, please let me know. I won't take it personally. I'm just so excited about having new knitters that I want to get them busy!

How about California Coast. The sand and at the ocean :)

You can also add me to the end of that one.

auburnchick
08-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Ok...California Coast it is. Thanks!

Here's my list of knitters for this blanket:

auburnchick (cast on)
kaniger
sepenguins (rav)
Purlingkitten (rav)
nostash2big(rav)
knittinmitchie

**Need a border person**

Would anyone like to volunteer to do the border? I know that knittinmitchie can do it, but I thought I would see if anyone else wants to do it before I commit her (she might want to be committed after I add her to another border, eh? :teehee:).

Thanks all! You're fabulous!

tripletmomma
08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll border :D

auburnchick
08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
I'll border :D

AWESOME! :hug:

KnittinMitchie
08-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Ok...California Coast it is. Thanks!

Here's my list of knitters for this blanket:

auburnchick (cast on)
kaniger
sepenguins (rav)
Purlingkitten (rav)
nostash2big(rav)
knittinmitchie

**Need a border person**

Would anyone like to volunteer to do the border? I know that knittinmitchie can do it, but I thought I would see if anyone else wants to do it before I commit her (she might want to be committed after I add her to another border, eh? :teehee:).

Thanks all! You're fabulous!

ROFL Girl if we do end up moving then I will be committed. TOO Much to do and I really don't want to move.

Tobinknit
08-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I received the blanket in the mail today. Thank you pinnut3200 for the Sugar 'n Cream yarn. I see another dishcloth in the making......and for the very nice card and candies. That was so nice of you. Well I made myself get started on it right away so it is already to go to the next knitter. This picture doesn't show the true colors of any of them but I will post it anyway. I even took it outside to take some pictures, but they didn't turn out true to color as well. I enjoyed working on the blanket.

auburnchick
08-27-2008, 10:54 PM
It's so pretty!!!! :inlove:

auburnchick
08-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Desert Sands was posted in the mail yesterday. Nannaknits should be on the lookout for it.

auntcrafty
08-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Grand Canyon Sunset is ready for the next knitter.

The section completed was done in SS "Rose Violet" in the Diamond Panel pattern (from Knit & Purl). The color was inspired by this Grand Canyon Sunset (http://www.regensburgerphotography.com/images/galleries/nature/canyons/grand_canyon_sunset.jpg) photo I found. On my screen the rose color on the clouds matches the yarn. The pattern is because of the Arizona Diamond Backs baseball team. I tried to get a close up of the pattern, but all the pics came out blurry. However, here is a picture of the four completed sections.

Nathalie has contacted the next knitter & barring any parking boots, I should be able to get it into the mail today. I have the confirmation number, but am going to wait to post after I know it's in the mail.

auburnchick
08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
It looks so pretty!!! :inlove:

It might take a day or two for the next knitter to get back with me. She's having some computer issues.

Thanks for the picture!

auntcrafty
08-29-2008, 07:19 PM
It looks so pretty!!! :inlove:

It might take a day or two for the next knitter to get back with me. She's having some computer issues.

Thanks for the picture!

Not a problem! Thanks for letting me know.

auntcrafty
08-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Nathalie ~

What's the count on the number of blankets? Are we doing one in greens? I drove through an area yesterday that reminded me of the jungle & I immediately thought of this group and wanting to do one -- maybe called Tropical Greenery or something like it.

auburnchick
08-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Nathalie ~

What's the count on the number of blankets? Are we doing one in greens? I drove through an area yesterday that reminded me of the jungle & I immediately thought of this group and wanting to do one -- maybe called Tropical Greenery or something like it.

Very good question!

We currently have five blankets traveling, with several in the works.

Here's the breakdown:

Desert Sand
ladylou - DONE
pinnut3200 - DONE
Dimpledapple - DONE
nostash2big - DONE
nannaknits
tripletmama
Knittinmitchie (border)

Purple Mountains Majesty
auburnchick - DONE
auntcrafty - DONE
pinnut3200 - DONE
Tobinknit - DONE
grannydani
jhelanee
nannaknits (border)

Grand Canyon Sunset
auburnchick - DONE
pinnut3200 - DONE
Dimpledapple - DONE
auntcrafty - DONE
Debkcs
tripletmomma (border)

Rain Forest
pinnut3200 - DONE
nostash2big - DONE
ladylou
PeattieWa
jhelanee
Purlingkitten (border)

Rainbow Sherbert
grannydani - DONE
PeattieWa - DONE
Debkcs - DONE
nannaknits
Purlingkitten
Knittinmitchie (border)

Pacific Blues
Debkcs (casting on)
auntcrafty
grannydani
PeattieWa
ladylou
dimpledapple
Knittinmitchie (border)

Blueberry Bliss - Preemie Blanket
jhelanee (casting on)
nannaknits
grannydani
Purlingkitten
Tobinknit
Wyospinner
Knittinmitchie (border)

Autumn Reds
nostash2big (casting on)
Dimpledapple
Purlingkitten
sepenguins
wyospinner
nannaknits (border too)

California Coast
auburnchick (casting on)
kaniger
sepenguins (rav)
Purlingkitten
nostash2big (rav)
knittinmitchie
tripletmomma (border)

We could always start another green one, if you want. It might be similar to Rain Forest, but that doesn't matter to me. We could always throw in a brown (for tree trunks) here and there...or we could do the bottom strip in brown and then do various shades of greens as we go up.

Whatcha think?

We also need to pick out a charity to donate these to!!! We never did settle on one or two.

Someone, way back when, mentioned one for the preemie blankets, but I can't remember where it was.

Do y'all have places near you that would accept the regular blankets? Maybe a pregnancy center? I would like to donate several to one place, then rotate to another charity.

Dimpledapple
08-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Awesome job, auntcrafty!! :cheering: I love the color and the pattern!

auntcrafty
08-30-2008, 02:56 AM
When I saw the list, I remembered the Rainforest one I like the idea of doing one in the browns & greens or your idea of starting with brown & going up with the greens or change it to Tropical Plantation -- grow pineapples, coffee, coconuts, flowers, sugar cane, etc here. We have different areas on the west coast that have such beautiful flowers, it would be great to do one centered around that. I'm not picky -- I have loved being able to knit my little section and want to be able to do more. :inlove:

Wasn't there a Disneyland blanket, too? I thought I signed up for that one. :think: I remember someone mentioning the various colors, but don't recall what was decided -- too tired to search the thread tonight.

I'm willing to wait until most of these get finished, plus Christmas projects might slow down our progress.

I haven't done any research about donating blankets here on Maui. I don't know that there is much of a call for acrylic blankets here. I asked an expectant mother the other day what people give new babies for gifts, but I never got an answer. I would be happy if they were donated to a NICU or to a women's/family shelter.

auburnchick
08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Oh, I love the name Tropical Plantation! Would you like to cast on that blanket? If so, we'll need 5 more knitters and a finisher.

As far as Disneyland, that was me who was supposed to cast on.

:whistle:

I had emailed the gal who designed the Olympic KAL dishcloth to see if she could design something that said Disney for me to knit up, but I think she got busy and never got around to it.

I'll try to get that cast on this week...gotta buy some more needles. Did we decide to use primary colors for it? Y'all tell me what you think.

kaniger
08-30-2008, 11:40 AM
I'd love to be part of Tropical Plantation if there still room! I'm heading to South America in a few months so tropical is on my mind! :)

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
That's a lot of blankets! Way to go, West Coast! :notworthy:
:cheering: :woohoo: :cheering:

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I just found a children's hospital in California. Maybe they could use them. I think you would just need to send an email to the Volunteer Coordinator or something.

http://www.childrenscentralcal.org/Pages/Default.aspx

And here is the California Children's Hospital Association link:
http://www.ccha.org/

And here's Children's Hospital of Los Angeles:
http://www.childrenshospitalla.org

And here's University of California San Francisco Children's Hospital:
http://www.ucsfhealth.org/childrens/

Good luck!

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow! After doing all those searches, the word "children" is starting to look like a word that doesn't mean anything! :teehee:

I hate when that happens, don't you?

nannaknits
08-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I finally got my part of the blanket done. Here are a couple of pictures to show what it looks like. It is really pretty in my opinion. I did the Dot Stitch. Here are the instructions incase anyone is intrested.
Row 1. (RS) Knit
Row 2. *K1, P1. Repeat from *
Row 3. Knit
Row 4. *P1, K1. Repeat from *.
It took me a little longer than usual to knit my part. I had sprang 2 of my fingers. It slowed my knitting down. And now it is Labor Day weekend, so the Post Office is closed on Monday. I promise to mail this out on Tuesday and post the confirmation number.

auburnchick
08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Oh, how pretty! I think this is the first time we've seen Rainbow Sherbert!

:inlove:

PeattieWa
08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Rainbow Sherbert sure looks lovely! The colors are really complimentary to each other! I'm glad to see how it's coming along. I think we decided on primary colors for Disneyland. Becky

PeattieWa
08-30-2008, 05:30 PM
We have a crisis pregnancy center here in our town Oak Harbor Wa. I am sure they would be grateful for some of the blankets as well. Just throwing the idea out there. I can contact them if we decide to donate a few blankets there. Becky

Shandeh
08-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Pretty! :heart:

auntcrafty
08-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow! That is so pretty! I love the colors in the Rainbow Sherbert blanket!

auntcrafty
08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh, I love the name Tropical Plantation! Would you like to cast on that blanket? If so, we'll need 5 more knitters and a finisher.

As far as Disneyland, that was me who was supposed to cast on.

:whistle:

I had emailed the gal who designed the Olympic KAL dishcloth to see if she could design something that said Disney for me to knit up, but I think she got busy and never got around to it.

I'll try to get that cast on this week...gotta buy some more needles. Did we decide to use primary colors for it? Y'all tell me what you think.

Sure, I'll be happy to cast on Tropical Plantation. Do you want me to wait until we are sure we have enough knitters or go ahead and CO?

As far as the colors for Disneyland I like crayon colors such as --

Mickey & Minnie's Sweetheart Red
Tigger Orange
Pooh Bear/Hunny Yellow
Jiminy Cricket Green
Donald's Sailor Suit Blue
Princess Purple
Country Bear Jamboree Kanga & Roo Brown
Goofy Black (do we want black or do the border in black since it isn't very wide?)

Just my 2 cents -- :thumbsup:

Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

auntcrafty
08-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Grand Canyon Sunset is on it's way to Deb in Oregon!

Sent PM with the confirmation number.

pinnut3200
08-30-2008, 08:37 PM
You can add my name to another blanket.

auburnchick
08-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Sure, I'll be happy to cast on Tropical Plantation. Do you want me to wait until we are sure we have enough knitters or go ahead and CO?

Tigger Orange
Pooh Bear/Huney Yellow
Jiminy Cricket Green
Princess Purple
Country Bear JamboreeKanga & Roo Brown
Goofy Black (do we want black or do the border in black since it isn't very wide?)

I'm so happy that y'all are creative! That's a trait that I am lacking.

I love your color ideas! :thumbsup:

I remembered having some red and dig a bit of digging. Voila! I found it! I think it's either Hobby Lobby's I Love this Yarn or Caron Simply Soft. I've lost the label somewhere along the way.

I'll try to cast on tomorrow. My hands should be recovered from the three hours I put in today working on the yard.

:passedout:

Oh, and please, do feel free to cast on for Tropical Plantation. I'm posting on our thread on Ravelry too, so I'm sure the slots will fill up quickly.

Who wants to work on Tropical Plantation?? First come, first serve.

We're looking for 5 knitters and a finisher (the 6th knitter can do the finishing too, if they want).

auburnchick
08-30-2008, 08:46 PM
You can add my name to another blanket.

Thanks! I've put you down as the 2nd knitter.

auburnchick
08-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Ok...I just looked down at our previous posts, and I can see that we already have three knitters for Tropical Plantation:

auntcrafty (casting on)
pinnut3200
kaniger

Now we only need 3 more plus someone to do a border.

auntcrafty
08-30-2008, 09:12 PM
:thumbsup: Okay -- I'll do some experimenting, see what I like best, & then CO Tropical Plantation. Do we want it to be a preemie or a regular baby blanket?

KnittinMitchie
08-30-2008, 10:24 PM

Tigger Orange
Pooh Bear/Hunny Yellow
Jiminy Cricket Green
Princess Purple
Country Bear Jamboree Kanga & Roo Brown

my 2 cents is the black would work best as the border. I wonder if we could come up with a border that looks like mouse ears.

nannaknits
08-31-2008, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't mind being the final knitter and add the board too if you need me on the Tropical blanket.

auburnchick
08-31-2008, 03:19 PM
:thumbsup: Okay -- I'll do some experimenting, see what I like best, & then CO Tropical Plantation. Do we want it to be a preemie or a regular baby blanket?

Maybe we could make this one a preemie blanket, since we don't have any of these yet.

Thanks!

auburnchick
08-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I finished up California Coast and sent it on to kaniger yesterday.

Here's a picture of what it looks like so far:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2815194158_c9d9f0ef10.jpg

I did a garter stitch...something simple...

auntcrafty
08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe we could make this one a preemie blanket, since we don't have any of these yet.

Thanks!

Okay! Tropical Plantation is to be a preemie blanket. I'm still swatching and will cast on this week.

I like the simplicity of California Coast -- kind of contradictory of the actual place. :cool:

auburnchick
09-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, all I needed was a little kick in the bootie. I worked on Disney Land yesterday and finished up last night while watching NASCAR.

I used I Love This Yarn, and the color is Red (duh...heeheehee). I found this (http://knitalittlestore.blogspot.com/2008/06/baby-hearts-free.html) pattern, which I adapted for the blanket. What I did was cast on 90 stitches and knit 25 on each side. Then, I worked the pattern in the 40 stitches in-between. I completed rows 1-39 and then finished off so that a knit row will face the next knitter, who will start on a right side. On that last row, I also started the three knit stitches on each side...for the border.

Hope I haven't confused anyone. :teehee:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/2817926358_ff58dd86f7.jpg

auntcrafty
09-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, all I needed was a little kick in the bootie. I worked on Disney Land yesterday and finished up last night while watching NASCAR.

I used I Love This Yarn, and the color is Red (duh...heeheehee). I found this (http://knitalittlestore.blogspot.com/2008/06/baby-hearts-free.html) pattern, which I adapted for the blanket. What I did was cast on 90 stitches and knit 25 on each side. Then, I worked the pattern in the 40 stitches in-between. I completed rows 1-39 and then finished off so that a knit row will face the next knitter, who will start on a right side. On that last row, I also started the three knit stitches on each side...for the border.

Hope I haven't confused anyone. :teehee:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/2817926358_ff58dd86f7.jpg

That's perfect for the suggestion color -- Mickey & Minnie's Sweetheart Red! I love it!

auburnchick
09-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that's what gave me the idea. Thank you so much! All I needed was a little bit of direction.

auburnchick
09-01-2008, 03:20 PM
This is what Nostash2big posted over on our Ravelry thread:
Autumn Reds has been cast on and the first section is done. Itís ready for the next knitter (do we even have a list for this blanket? I didnít see it). I used Caron SS in Autumn Red (duh) and used the checkerboard pattern from the Harmony Guide Knit and Purl.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2818190758_d4aa5ef501.jpg

It's so pretty!!! :inlove:

I am so thrilled! We're really moving now!!!

auntcrafty
09-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Very pretty!

KnittinMitchie
09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm excited to get the chance to work on some of the blankets. They all looks SO wonderful

auburnchick
09-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Folks, we have 1 more slot available for Tropical Plantation. Here's the list so far:

Tropical Plantation - Preemie
auntcrafty (cast on)
pinnut3200
kaniger
nostash2big (rav)
5th slot is open
nannaknits (6th knitter and border gal)

auburnchick
09-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Purlingkitten has asked to work on Tropical Plantation, so in the slot she goes! We now have a complete list of knitters for this blanket. Here's how it looks now:

Tropical Plantation - Preemie
auntcrafty (cast on)
pinnut3200
kaniger
nostash2big (rav)
Purlingkitten
nannaknits (6th knitter and border gal)

I'm starting to ponder other blanket ideas, although we'll have 9 going as soon as auntcraft gets Tropical Plantation cast on. Whew! That's a lot, but I'm willing to start another if you want. Four of the blankets are on their 5th knitters, who are actually waiting for the blankets, but still...won't be long...

auntcrafty
09-02-2008, 12:16 AM
That's fine with me if you want to start other blankets. We seem to have many willing knitters & new ones joining every day.

I'm going to need to slow down a bit this month -- my landlady gave me 30 days notice to vacate yesterday. I'm still swatching the Tropical Plantation & am eager to cast on, because it's helping to relieve the stress. I want to do the others I signed up for, but may need to change what number knitter I am if they are due to arrive within the next 3 weeks.

Moving is not going to be a hardship for me -- I never fully unpacked because of many problems that have sprung up since the week I moved in (6 weeks ago). Thankfully I had already scheduled vacation for this month & am aiming to move the weekend of the 20th. We'll see what God's plans are for this, though!

auburnchick
09-02-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm so sorry about your situation. What a pain, but the move will probably be better in the end.

Just let me know how I can accommodate your needs. I'm always willing to rearrange a list or remove you from a blanket, if need be. I know I'll get the work out of you sooner or later. :teehee:

auntcrafty
09-02-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm so sorry about your situation. What a pain, but the move will probably be better in the end.

Just let me know how I can accommodate your needs. I'm always willing to rearrange a list or remove you from a blanket, if need be. I know I'll get the work out of you sooner or later. :teehee:

Thank you -- I'm casting on Tropical Plantation tonight. I settled on the pattern I like the best. I'll let you know when I'm finished.

Tobinknit
09-02-2008, 07:03 PM
The Purple Mountains Majesty baby blanket is now on its way to grannydani (Rav) in California. The confirmation number is:
0307 1790 0002 2677 5396

nannaknits
09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi All, Rainbow Sherbet is on it's way to the next knitter, Purlingkitten. Here is the confirmation number:
0307 3330 0000 2167 8652.

Desert Sand arrived safe and sound. It is so pretty. Thanks for the cards nostash2big, how nice of you.

KnittinMitchie
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm excited to see rainbow sherbet and desert sands. I have yarn for desert sand picked out already.

purlingkitten
09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I received Rainbow Sherbert, it is such a lovely blanket.
Also, thank you nannaknits for the great chocolate and scissors.
Upon seeing in living color the blanket I've changed my mind about my yarn selection and am planning to yarn shop at lunch today.

Purlingkitten

auburnchick
09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi all! Just wanted to let you know that grannydani, over on Ravelry, said that she received Purple Mountains Majesty yesterday.

Debkcs
09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi!

I recieved Grand Canyon Sunsets from AuntCrafty. Thanks, it's really pretty and for the Hawaii sticky pad and the taffy (my fillings will never be the same! :p )

Also, cast on Pacific Blues. Didn't get the color I wanted, but it'll be pretty.

Have a good weekend everyone!

nannaknits
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Tripletmama Desert Sand is on it's way to your house. Here is the confirmation number: 0307 3330 0000 2167 8843

tripletmomma
09-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Tripletmama Desert Sand is on it's way to your house. Here is the confirmation number: 0307 3330 0000 2167 8843

:woohoo: Yay! I'm excited to get it! :yay:

auntcrafty
09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Sorry been MIA for a few days -- having internet problems!

I discovered I made a mistake with this blanket, so I am in the middle of reknitting my section. I am aiming for finishing it today so Ladybug & I will be able to put it in the mail tomorrow.

I'm sorry for the delay!

PeattieWa
09-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Just wanted to let you know that the Disneyland blanket arrived safely in Washington yesterday. Debating whether to add Tigger orange or Donald Duck blue. I'll figure it out and get working on it tomorrow. Becky:knitting:

jhelanee
09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Just a quick note to say that I (finally) cast on the "Blueberry Bliss" preemie blanket and have done about 2 inches so far. I'll try my best to finish my section this week so I can mail it next weekend. There will be some yarn travelling with this blanket (leftovers from previous Oddball blankets) that can certainly be used, but my feelings won't be hurt if subsequent knitters pick out their own.

~Jennifer

Dimpledapple
09-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Autumn reds arrived today! Thanks for the lovely note cards, nostash! Can't wait to start working on it :knitting:

PeattieWa
09-09-2008, 03:40 AM
Disneyland is finished and needs to move on. To whom do I send it??I decided on Donald Duck blue and it seems that eyelet has become my signature stitch. Thanks, Becky:woohoo: :knitting:

PeattieWa
09-09-2008, 03:44 AM
Yes we do have a rain forest in Wahington, but I'm referring to the blanket that arrived from Lexie today. I've started on my section in a very bright pink which could represent the flowers of the forest I guess. Hopefully I will finish it tomorrow. Lexie thanks for the tea! Looking forward to trying it! Becky:happydance:

kaniger
09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Ready to go to the next knitter...:cheering:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/2843374298_ce94cbb4e4_b.jpg

auburnchick
09-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Disneyland is finished and needs to move on. To whom do I send it??I decided on Donald Duck blue and it seems that eyelet has become my signature stitch. Thanks, Becky:woohoo: :knitting:

I sent a PM to the next knitter. I'll let you know if she's ready. :thumbsup:

Kaniger, nice job on California Coast! That gold is beautiful! I think I already sent you Pinnut's address for this one.

tripletmomma
09-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Desert Sands arrived on the CO prairie last night! Thank you Nannaknits for the goodies! I'm going shopping for some yarn after DH gets home tonight.

PeattieWa
09-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Just finished up Rainforest and need to know where it goes next.Iused Caron Simply Soft in a bright pink. I think it goes well with the other colors already used! Looking forward to Pacific Blues arrival!:woot: Becky

auburnchick
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Just finished up Rainforest and need to know where it goes next.Iused Caron Simply Soft in a bright pink. I think it goes well with the other colors already used! Looking forward to Pacific Blues arrival!:woot: Becky

I just sent a message to the next knitter!

I sure can't wait to see pictures (hint, hint). :teehee:

PeattieWa
09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
;) Unfortunately we don't have the capability to upload pictures so hopefully the next knitters will be able to share!:thumbsup: Becky

kaniger
09-10-2008, 11:33 AM
California Coast is en route to sepenquins! Tracking number: 0103 8555 7494 6099 9422

:woohoo:

auntcrafty
09-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Sorry for the delay! Lots of things happening -- no internet & found a new home! :woot:

Confirmation number -- 0308 0730 0000 1537 3178

Here are some pictures ~

Double moss stitch using Bernat Softee Baby in Rumba Rose

The stitch was inspired by the skin of a breadfruit I tried two weeks ago and by the pineapples grown here.

The color was inspired by this hibiscus and this bougainvillea

auburnchick
09-10-2008, 06:03 PM
That pink is beautiful! Love the pictures!!! :inlove:

BTW, I'm so glad you've got another place to live! Wouldn't want you knitting out on the streets!

KnittinMitchie
09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
wow Penny that is prudy. I like the flowers too.

Auburn if you need people for blankets just add me and let me know. :) Yes I know I rock.

auntcrafty
09-10-2008, 08:37 PM
That pink is beautiful! Love the pictures!!! :inlove:

BTW, I'm so glad you've got another place to live! Wouldn't want you knitting out on the streets!

:teehee: I'm thankful for not having to knit on the streets! Now I'm going to have a nice quiet place to knit without worrying about what is going on outside my door (long story!). The beach is going to be more convienent to go knit at, too.

auburnchick
09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
wow Penny that is prudy. I like the flowers too.

Auburn if you need people for blankets just add me and let me know. :) Yes I know I rock.

Thanks! We've got five blankets that are getting closer to the end, so we'll be starting new ones in a few weeks. You'll see requests for volunteers, have no fear. :thumbsup: