PDA

View Full Version : sheep/wool festivals????

twoxover
07-09-2008, 09:26 AM
hi-
has anyone gone to sheep/wool festivals? there is one in October, in Hunterdon County, NJ....was thinking maybe it was worth the trip up (from southern NJ) to check it out....maybe find some neat yarn???

betsey

katknit
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
The Dutchess County festival is wonderful. It's in Rhinebeck NY in October, and well worth the drive. I live in CT and never miss this show.
cloud9

cagerrior
07-09-2008, 10:02 AM
This is supposed to be the festival of all festivals!! I will be going this year for the first time, but have read so much about it over the past couple years that I can hardly wait! (driving from Maine btw)

have been to many smaller local ones and they all offer local, wonderful yarn. Cheryl:knitting:

twoxover
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
we actually may go to Rhinebeck...we bought a camper this year, and my only request was that we go somewhere in the fall to be "fallish" <g>....i've allready sent the link to the DH!

betsey

vaknitter
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
I have never it made it to Rhinebeck. We have festivals here in central VA that I love. My MIL and I go every year with a wad of cash burning a hole in our pocket. There are some great finds (cheap) for wool and then some unique blends that are hand dyed and hand painted for one of a kind socks, hats, mittens, shawls etc. Knitters are there with their own patterns for sale and there are usually some great classes or project tents. And don't forget the kettle corn !!

Crycket
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I am missing our local Renissance Festival. It moved several years back and has never been the same....(ok...I know that isn't a wool festival...but you got me thinking about stuff...)

A wool festival sounds like fun...although DF would not be as thrilled!

gailf
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
The fair in Rhinebeck is well worth the trip.
Lots of fun stuff to do there.
Im going again this year

Quiltlady
07-09-2008, 02:36 PM
My dh and I are going to Rhinebeck this year too. We only live about an hour away. I can't wait. I'm saving up my money to be able to shop and enjoy myself.

twoxover
07-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm now going to beg the dh into this trip <grin>....

betsey

Jen17
07-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I went last year to Rhinebeck for the first time! Loved it, but this year we are getting a room or camping because the 4/5 hour drive each way is too much. My DH says it was too far....can you imagine, lol!

twoxover
07-10-2008, 07:03 AM
jen-
if you were to camp there...where would you camp? (we have a pup...)

betsey

Jen17
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't really know. I figure there has to be some kind of campground in the area and I was going to look into it when it got closer

MAmaDawn
07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I have never it made it to Rhinebeck. We have festivals here in central VA that I love. My MIL and I go every year with a wad of cash burning a hole in our pocket. There are some great finds (cheap) for wool and then some unique blends that are hand dyed and hand painted for one of a kind socks, hats, mittens, shawls etc. Knitters are there with their own patterns for sale and there are usually some great classes or project tents. And don't forget the kettle corn !!

Where and when is it? I'd love to go

threesmom
07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Enablers!!:teehee: You all now have me seriously considering Rhinebeck! I've missed both Maryland Sheep and Wool and the NJ show (the closest to me, I think) for years now, but now I'm wondering how I can turn Rhinebeck into a mini family vacation. Thanks for the idea!

Jeremy
07-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I went to the Rheinbeck website today and they are already registering for classes! I was actually thinking that we should have a KH meet up there. I plan on going on Sunday. The authors will be signing that day including the Yarn Harlot and, I think, the Mason Dixon knitters.

Jen17
07-14-2008, 08:53 PM
That would be a lot of fun!

knitpurlgurl
07-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Since I lived in Wooster, OH (until last month), I used to visit the Great Lakes Fiber Show every May in Wooster. I got to see Annie Modeset teach combination knitting one year! Here (http://www.dailyknitter.com/events.php) are some events.

kristaj
07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Has anyone been to the one in Estes Park, CO? I'm trying to convince DH that we should plan next years vacation around it and would like some more info about it to give him.