PDA

View Full Version : Please Pray for Rabbitrescuer / Rabbit's Updates / Austin is Back in School!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

auburnchick
07-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey all...

Some of "know" Rabbitrescuer...

Yesterday, one of her sons sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns on about 50% of his body. He's headed to a Shriner's hospital for treatment.

Her younger son witnessed the accident. I know she would appreciate prayers for the family.

On behalf of Rabbit...thank you.

:hug:

mks22300
07-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh my goodness! I'll be praying for her and her family. :hug:

Krystal
07-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Sending well wishes and prayers to her and her family.
:heart:

Sewing Angel
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
That is just awful. I will keep them all in my thoughts and prayers.

Raeknitsnwa
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
:heart: Oh my please tell her that her & her family are in my thoughts & prayers :hug:

auburnchick
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks, y'all. She is somehow getting online and sending me updates via PMs here. Feel free to send her best wishes.

jdee
07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
How awful. They're all in my prayers.

Jeremy
07-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm so sorry. I will pray for her and her family.

Silver
07-09-2008, 09:19 PM
They'll be in my thoughts. :heart:

saracidaltendencies
07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh my goodness, I hope he's ok! My thoughts are with them:hug:

figaro
07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I am so sorry to hear this, I am sending her and her family all my positive thoughts.

scout52
07-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I am so sorry. I am keeping her family in my thoughts and wishing him a speeding recovery.

Jan in CA
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm so sorry! My thoughts are with them all! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow, that's terrible! Sending positive thoughts their way.

Doodknitwit
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
The Shriners Hospitals are the best there are!!! They will get the best care:hug:

bailsmom
07-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Oh my how awful. Saying a prayer right now for her and her son. :hug:

vaknitter
07-09-2008, 10:54 PM
:grphug: add my thoughts and prayers to all the rest for her and both her sons. I have a green feather and fan prayer shawl that I am just about to cast off if you think you could get an address I would be more than happy to send it to her.
If I remember correctly she doesn't live too far from me - she bought some of my stash yarn.

Spikey
07-09-2008, 10:56 PM
How terrible!

Sending healing wishes to her and her boys.

cdjack
07-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Bless their hearts! I will keep them in my thoughts.

sue in canada
07-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm so sorry! Sending positive thoughts to them.

Knit4Pie
07-10-2008, 07:05 AM
They'll all be in my thoughts!

knittingymnast
07-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh my goodness! That's awful! They will be in my thoughts. :hug: :pray:

dustinac
07-10-2008, 07:58 AM
:hug: They are in my thoughts and prayers!! :hug:

gingerbread
07-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Just read about this I will keep them all in my prayers and thoughts.

:waving:

CountryKitty
07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Prayers of strength and healing going out to the whole family from here too. Along with lots of love and some tears of sympathy. Nothing hurts a parent more than an injury to their child.

Ditto the Shriner's being great...they'll take excellent care of the lad there.

ritaw
07-10-2008, 08:45 AM
I am so sorry to hear of this . I hope he makes a good recovery . Best wishes toyou and your family .

Thanks Nathalie

cindycactus
07-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Sending prayers for a speedy recovery. :pray::hug:

auburnchick
07-10-2008, 09:11 AM
:grphug: add my thoughts and prayers to all the rest for her and both her sons. I have a green feather and fan prayer shawl that I am just about to cast off if you think you could get an address I would be more than happy to send it to her.
If I remember correctly she doesn't live too far from me - she bought some of my stash yarn.

Let me see if I can wrestle that out of her today and get her permission to share it.

Thanks all. My heart is touched by your well wishes. She feels like family to me...we chat almost every day in the chat room.

I'll give updates after I hear back from her.

gailf
07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
They are in my thoughts and prayers.

threesmom
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
What a terrible thing for her family ....I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts her way.:hug:

Denise in Michigan
07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
My heart is with RR and her family.

Wanda Witch
07-10-2008, 11:11 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the family. What a terrible thing to watch your child in any pain. Love to all of them. :hug:

jjminarcik
07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
:hug::hug::hug:

Rabbitrescuer
07-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I would like to thank everyone for the thoughts, prayers & well wishes! We are holding on as best we can. Austin is stable - it was touch & go for awhile. We will be transporting to the Shriner's hospital in Cincinatti Ohio this afternoon - they specialize in burns there. I will be going with Austin initially - dad will stay behind to take care of things. Austin is being kept heavily sedated to keep him calm. Keeping his BP up has been a hard battle. We have many many surgeries to look forward to as the burns are very severe & skin grafting will be necessary but difficult b/c of how much of his body was burned. As soon as I know an adress to give I will send it to Auburnchick. I'm on the hospital computer at UVA now but don't know when I will be able to get back online after today. Again thank you to everyone for the moral support - you guys are great! :grphug:

Jan in CA
07-10-2008, 12:25 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

DQ
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Big :hug: for you all

mks22300
07-10-2008, 12:47 PM
:hug: :hug:

Debkcs
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Austin and your family are being prayed for, please let us know if there is anything else we can do.

figaro
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

susi
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
OMG Christina

how is he?

sending you all a huge big :hug: and thinking of you all.

hope he's on the mend very soon and back to his old self.

cdjack
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes, you and your family are in all of our thoughts. :hug:

rachejm
07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
:hug: So sorry to hear this. You are all in my thoughts.

auburnchick
07-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I have the address for the hospital. If you would like it, please send me a PM.

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-10-2008, 05:31 PM
We are all thinking of you and your family.

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Auburn,

Yes please give me the address and I will send her son a card...I need a name too. Keep me updated. Grandma

MojoAngel
07-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this accident. How is he today? Hugs and prayers headed your way!

Dangles
07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Prayers, positive thoughts and a lots of :hug: on their way.

auburnchick
07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that they are at the Shriner's hospital, where the doctors have been redressing his wounds.

It's possible that he might begin a long line of surgeries as early as tomorrow morning, so please be praying.

It looks like he could be in the hospital for as long as two months. Rabbit is very open to receiving any items, as several have indicated an interest in making or donating stuff. Let me know if you want her contact information, which will continue to be the hospital.

Thanks all.

vaknitter
07-10-2008, 10:33 PM
If you think it would be appropriate to send the prayer shawl I would be more than happy to put it in the mail and will PM you. I wish I had known they were initially at UVA - since that's where I work I could have grabbed her a cup of coffee and dropped the shawl off at the nurses station.

PurlyGyrl
07-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh my goodness. Prayers :pray: going out.

auburnchick
07-11-2008, 08:48 AM
If you think it would be appropriate to send the prayer shawl I would be more than happy to put it in the mail and will PM you. I wish I had known they were initially at UVA - since that's where I work I could have grabbed her a cup of coffee and dropped the shawl off at the nurses station.

Yes, I know that she would love that! She has knit them for other people, so receiving one will truly touch her heart.

Jen17
07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
My heart goes out to her and her family:sad: :pray:

Knit4Fun
07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Rabbitrescuer - Please know that Austin, Ben and your family is in my thoughts and prayers. We are praying for you all...

:grphug:

auburnchick
07-11-2008, 09:52 PM
I spoke to Rabbit this morning (IRL), and she said that Austin was supposed to be having his first surgery today. I don't know how that went. I'll continue to give you updates.

Rabbitrescuer
07-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Austin had his first surgery this morning - it went well. He was in for over 2 hours & remained stable throughout. Most of his burns are full thickness which is pretty much the worst kind. He will require lots of skin grafting - this will be difficult due to the fact that 60% of his body is burned so not much left to pull from. They plan to go back in on Monday for more surgery. He is still on a ventilator & has a feeding tube in. I will send more updates as I can. Again thanks to all you wonderful knitters for the moral support :grphug:

Nathalie - bless you for being such a wonderful person :hug:

vaknitter
07-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Nathalie - if you talk to Christina before she is back on-line please let her know a package is on it's way. Without their last name she will want to let the nurses station know that she is expecting a package - esp if they change rooms. I also included a fleece blanket I had made for the Linus Project for Austin.

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
An update from Rabbit...

Austin had a minor setback last night his BP dropped a couple times. They had to go back up on 1 of the meds they were trying to wean him off of. And he was down to 50% oxygen on the ventilator they had to bump him back up to 100%. As the Dr's tell me we're still not out of the woods.

I asked Rabbit about what we can do to help. Here's her response:

We are non cell phone having people - never thought I'd need one. So I now have a tracfone & this is my primary way to communicate with relatives so if people would like to send tracfone minute cards that would help or walmart giftcards to help buy supplies - b/c as we all know there are walmarts everywhere. And if anyone would like to do handmade items instead Austin's favorite color is blue - any shade. All I'm asking for is prayers & well wishes but if people would like to do more there are some ideas.

I spoke to someone at the hospital, and the staff member suggested that any homemade items we send should be able to withstand sterilization...a good hot water bath. As you know, burn victims are highly susceptible to infections. She kind of poo-poo'ed the stuffed animal idea. I like it still...especially for the younger son, Ben. Blankets would need to be made out of machine washable yarn.

The gal at the hospital said that balloons are WONDERFUL items to send...anything that will brighten the room. Things that can be put on the walls are also highly recommended.

I've been racking my brain to come up with something we can do as a group.

If we wanted to send a large balloon arrangement from a flower company, I would be willing to organize this. I could price them out and we could all kick in some money. I have a PayPal account that the money could go into and used to pay from (y'all know I'm very, very honest).

Just some thoughts...I have no idea how y'all feel.

I don't know if anyone wants to purchase Walmart gift cards or the Tracfone cards. We could send them as a group or individually.

Pondering...pondering...

figaro
07-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I can go to Walmart in the next day (just spent a couple of hours shopping with the kids) and pick up a $10 Tracfone card and send it to her. I wish I could knit her up something but my knitting mojo has been playing hide and go seek with me. Auburn, could you PM the address to send it to her?

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi all!

I don't know how many of you don't venture over to the Off-Topic Forum, so I thought I would post this here as well.

One of our knitting friends, Rabbitrescuer, has a 10yo son who was severely burned last week...60% of his body sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns with many of the burns going through all layers of the skin. He is at a Shriner's Hospital, where he'll remain for a minimum of two months, if not longer. Her 8yo son witnessed the accident, but he's holding up very well.

I've been thinking about what we can do for her...if you have ideas and want to help out, please let me know. I have the address and other info.

Here's what I copied from my post in the other forum:

An update from Rabbit...

Austin had a minor setback last night his BP dropped a couple times. They had to go back up on 1 of the meds they were trying to wean him off of. And he was down to 50% oxygen on the ventilator they had to bump him back up to 100%. As the Dr's tell me we're still not out of the woods.

I asked Rabbit about what we can do to help. Here's her response:

We are non cell phone having people - never thought I'd need one. So I now have a tracfone & this is my primary way to communicate with relatives so if people would like to send tracfone minute cards that would help or walmart giftcards to help buy supplies - b/c as we all know there are walmarts everywhere. And if anyone would like to do handmade items instead Austin's favorite color is blue - any shade. All I'm asking for is prayers & well wishes but if people would like to do more there are some ideas.

I spoke to someone at the hospital, and the staff member suggested that any homemade items we send should be able to withstand sterilization...a good hot water bath. As you know, burn victims are highly susceptible to infections. She kind of poo-poo'ed the stuffed animal idea. I like it still...especially for the younger son, Ben. Blankets would need to be made out of machine washable yarn.

The gal at the hospital said that balloons are WONDERFUL items to send...anything that will brighten the room. Things that can be put on the walls are also highly recommended.

I've been racking my brain to come up with something we can do as a group.

If we wanted to send a large balloon arrangement from a flower company, I would be willing to organize this. I could price them out and we could all kick in some money. I have a PayPal account that the money could go into and used to pay from (y'all know I'm very, very honest).

Just some thoughts...I have no idea how y'all feel.

I don't know if anyone wants to purchase Walmart gift cards or the Tracfone cards. We could send them as a group or individually.

Pondering...pondering...

losnana
07-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Auburnchick, I want to help and will send $ to your paypal account once a decision is made. The balloons sound great, as do han-knitted items. I just don't have a minute to knit right now. Do let me know what is decided. You're a doll to take this on.

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I have a blanket started for Austin and am working on it. I found a HUGE granny square pattern over on Lion Brand which will work great. I meed to go find some more Caron SS so I will have enough for the blanket.

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Done!

:muah:

dustinac
07-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I will have my kids make him some colorful cards (and Ben)....I think the balloons would be helpful too although I'm not sure how you do that with paypal...I don't use it very much at all....

What about some books/coloring books/crayons/markers/construction paper/board games/etc...
Something that would help keep the boys busy? Maybe like a little kit to help them all get through the hours there...a book for her or a knitting kit...magazines for the family

Tropicflower24
07-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Could we do something like a granny square blanket or something with just one type of yarn (in different colors) that could be sent in? Like a KAL, with squares sent in? I'd love to help, but I couldn't do much by myself.

Thanks Nathalie! :)

shortnsweetly
07-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Trac phone minutes or gift cards sound like a great idea. I would be happy to pick something up for them. Would you like to give me an address to send something directly to the family, or would you rather I send something to you Auburn?

JessicaR
07-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Please pm me her address as well, thanks!

vaknitter
07-12-2008, 02:47 PM
You can ask Christina what Shriner's policy is, but I know any of the burn and pediatric units I've worked on do NOT allow latex balloons b/c of the increase of latex allergies so you may want to consider mylar only.

Tropicflower24
07-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Auburnchick - PMed ya!

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I will have my kids make him some colorful cards (and Ben)....I think the balloons would be helpful too although I'm not sure how you do that with paypal...I don't use it very much at all....

What about some books/coloring books/crayons/markers/construction paper/board games/etc...
Something that would help keep the boys busy? Maybe like a little kit to help them all get through the hours there...a book for her or a knitting kit...magazines for the family

Thank you! Cards will be lovely!

Here's the way Paypal would work.

If you have a Paypal account, you can send money to another Paypal user by entering their email address, which I can provide you. It's basically like an online bank. I use mine for eBay purchases and sales.

Here are a few balloon arrangements I found at ftd.com:

All three are $34.99 (not including delivery fee)

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/80/71/6h/www.ftd.com/pics/products/EO-6035_c.jpg (http://www.ftd.com/get-well-pcg/the-ftd-get-well-balloon-bunch/occasion-getwell/eo-6035/)

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/80/71/6h/www.ftd.com/pics/products/EO-6101_c.jpg (http://www.ftd.com/get-well-pcg/bear-balloon-bunch/occasion-getwell/eo-6101/)

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/80/71/6h/www.ftd.com/pics/products/EO-6037_c.jpg (http://www.ftd.com/balloons-pcg/the-ftd-thinking-of-you-balloon-bunch/homepage-moregreatideas-balloons/eo-6037/)

As I said, I am open to any ideas. Rabbit's family has a long road ahead of them, and I'd love to lighten some of the burden.

:hug: in advance!

KnittingNat
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Auburn,
PM ya!

I'm praying for Austin :pray:

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Please pm me her address as well, thanks!

Done!

You can ask Christina what Shriner's policy is, but I know any of the burn and pediatric units I've worked on do NOT allow latex balloons b/c of the increase of latex allergies so you may want to consider mylar only.

Thanks so much! I'll make sure I look into this.

Auburn,
PM ya!

Done!

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Sorry for the repeat, if you saw this over on the General Forum. I posted both places in case some people don't visit the other forum..

Here are a few balloon arrangements I found at ftd.com:

All three are $34.99 (not including delivery fee)

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/80/71/6h/www.ftd.com/pics/products/EO-6035_c.jpg (http://www.ftd.com/get-well-pcg/the-ftd-get-well-balloon-bunch/occasion-getwell/eo-6035/)

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/80/71/6h/www.ftd.com/pics/products/EO-6101_c.jpg (http://www.ftd.com/get-well-pcg/bear-balloon-bunch/occasion-getwell/eo-6101/)

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/80/71/6h/www.ftd.com/pics/products/EO-6037_c.jpg (http://www.ftd.com/balloons-pcg/the-ftd-thinking-of-you-balloon-bunch/homepage-moregreatideas-balloons/eo-6037/)

As I said, I am open to any ideas. Rabbit's family has a long road ahead of them, and I'd love to lighten some of the burden.

:hug: in advance!

Tropicflower24
07-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Could you PM me her address as well? I'd love to send a card.

Karina
07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I would like to send you some money via paypal to contribute to the ballons and towards some phone cards. PM me your email address and tell me how much a phone card cost and how much you need for the ballons.

Thanks for posting here, as I don't always remember to check OT forum

yarnover
07-12-2008, 03:56 PM
This is a free service any one can use to give updates and infromation on a loved one. www.Carepages.com

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I would like to send you some money via paypal to contribute to the ballons and towards some phone cards. PM me your email address and tell me how much a phone card cost and how much you need for the ballons.

Thanks for posting here, as I don't always remember to check OT forum

Thanks, Karina.

Here's a link to the Walmart page that shows different TracFone prepaid cards.

It looks like they run about $19.xx for 60 minutes, $29.xx for 120 minutes, and $39.xx for 200 minutes.

This is a free service any one can use to give updates and infromation on a loved one. www.Carepages.com (http://www.Carepages.com)

Thank you so much! I'm going to pass this site along to her.

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Could we do something like a granny square blanket or something with just one type of yarn (in different colors) that could be sent in? Like a KAL, with squares sent in? I'd love to help, but I couldn't do much by myself.

Thanks Nathalie! :)

If you all want to do a a granny squares blanket I will be more than happy to seam and put the border on the blanket. If we agree to do the granny squares blanket lets use Caron Simply Soft or Caron Bright, both are worsted weight and EXTREMELY soft. I called the hospital to check on blanket materials and I know some one mentioned it, but the blanket need to be very soft and very easy to sterilize. This is why I chose the Caron yarns.

If you would like to contribute granny squares OR knitted squares you can do an 8 inch square. Here is one of the squares I've gotten done to give you an idea. I will be seaming and do the boarder in black.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/2662140258_ded65f7a31_m.jpg

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 04:13 PM
I posted this over in General Knitting too.

If you all want to do a a granny squares blanket I will be more than happy to seam and put the border on the blanket. If we agree to do the granny squares blanket lets use Caron Simply Soft or Caron Bright, both are worsted weight and EXTREMELY soft. I called the hospital to check on blanket materials and I know some one mentioned it, but the blanket need to be very soft and very easy to sterilize. This is why I chose the Caron yarns.

If you would like to contribute granny squares OR knitted squares you can do an 8 inch square. Here is one of the squares I've gotten done to give you an idea. I will be seaming and do the boarder in black.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/2662140258_ded65f7a31_m.jpg

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Mitchie! What kind of timeframe are we looking at?

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Could you PM me her address as well? I'd love to send a card.

Done!

Thank you, all, for your quick responses! I am so touched, and I know that Rabbit is even more so. I cannot begin to imagine what she's going through right now. The love extended by this wonderful group of people is just incredible!

hartleystudio
07-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd love to chip in for anything you want to send. You can PM me with your e-mail address if you want when you decide. What city are they in? Maybe if some of us live near them we could bring food. Maybe GC's for eating places close to the hospital?

Let me know. I'm praying but would like to do more. I'd love to send a gift bag to her other son, don't want him to feel left out.

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Auburn I'm shooting to have the blanket done by the end of August if not sooner. I was going to make the deadline August 15th for the squares to me so I could get them sewn and bordered.

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi all!

I'm going to try to consolidate the two threads (this one and the one I started in the Off-Topic forum) into a thread located in the Charity forum.

Here's (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1128540#post1128540) the link to the new topic.

A quick thanks to Katrina, who already sent $$ to help fund balloons and TracFone cards. :muah:

Onward to the new thread!

Tropicflower24
07-12-2008, 04:27 PM
What's the pattern you are using Christine?

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi all!

I'm going to try to consolidate the two threads (this one and the one I started in the Off-Topic forum) into a thread located in the Charity forum.

Here's (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1128540#post1128540) the link to the new topic.

A quick thanks to Katrina, who already sent $$ to help fund balloons and TracFone cards. :muah:

Onward to the new thread!

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 04:32 PM
What's the pattern you are using Christine?

you can use any pattern you want just make sure its an 8 inch square. :)

cheley
07-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I have a "shoebox" full of grannies (years of practicing crochet) however they are all not the same size..all the same yarn weight, just different sizes. I would be more than happy to send them off to become a blankie..also, prayers and hugs to that poor little kid:muah: Let me know

mare-nitt
07-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Auburn, please send my your Paypal info, I would like to give some money to be put towards whatever you think the family will need.
My thoughts go out to her and her family at this time.

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 06:12 PM
If you want to send me your shoebox I will take it. PM me for my address.

Thank you

knitpurlgurl
07-12-2008, 06:19 PM
FYI: Being a medical person- PLEASE DO NOT send latex balloons to the hospital. You can send mylar (the shiny, silvery ones), but latex is a no no in most hospitals and they won't accept them. You will have wasted your money for no good reason.

I would like to contribute. I can't crochet - but I can contribute financially. Please PM me with the info. Thanks. MY thoughts and prayers are with her family.

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 06:51 PM
FYI - The squares can be knit or crochet they just need to be 8 inches square.

mrs.hre
07-12-2008, 07:39 PM
i have a box ready to go mrs.hre

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 08:16 PM
FYI: Being a medical person- PLEASE DO NOT send latex balloons to the hospital. You can send mylar (the shiny, silvery ones), but latex is a no no in most hospitals and they won't accept them. You will have wasted your money for no good reason.

I would like to contribute. I can't crochet - but I can contribute financially. Please PM me with the info. Thanks. MY thoughts and prayers are with her family.

Thank you for the information. As a person not in the medical field, I had no idea about this until now.

I also PM'd my information to you. Thank you!!

Hey all...one other thing...

I talked to Rabbit today, and I asked her if she likes to read. She does...anything and everything.

If you want to send her any books or reading material, feel free to do so.

I continue to be in awe at the way you are all responding. Thank you so much! I've said this before, and I'll say it again...I am honored to be a part of this amazing, tremendous, generous group.

Foxyie
07-12-2008, 08:27 PM
welp i've got toooons of books of all kinds around here..so i can send some reading materials and i've also got some paypal funds to send for phonecards

so i'll pm you to get all the info

thanks so much for letting us know! :hug:

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Done! Thank you all! :hug:

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 09:40 PM
welp i've got toooons of books of all kinds around here..so i can send some reading materials and i've also got some paypal funds to send for phonecards

so i'll pm you to get all the info

thanks so much for letting us know! :hug:

Got it, and you rock! Thank you. :muah:

cheley
07-12-2008, 09:43 PM
If you want to send me your shoebox I will take it. PM me for my address.

Thank you pm'd ya:hug:

KnittinMitchie
07-12-2008, 10:33 PM
pm'd ya:hug:

pm'd ya back

Ronda
07-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Nathalie - can you pm me with how how exactly you want financial contributions? I don't have a paypal account, but I think I used it anyway to place an order from Silver.

cacunn
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Nathalie -this is one thing I like about this group, they are a lot of really good friends that we just haven't met face to face yet.

When buying gift card, Wal-Mart cards are good, as said they are very where, consideration should also be given to some of the generic, American Express, Visa gift cards. I understand that there my be a surcharge where a $20 gift card cost $22 or $23 dollars. The advantage is that they can be used at restaurants as well as retail stores.

Nathalie if you PM me your email address I will PayPal some funds.

That you for taking one this effort.

auburnchick
07-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Nathalie - can you pm me with how how exactly you want financial contributions? I don't have a paypal account, but I think I used it anyway to place an order from Silver.

Nathalie -this is one thing I like about this group, they are a lot of really good friends that we just haven't met face to face yet.

When buying gift card, Wal-Mart cards are good, as said they are very where, consideration should also be given to some of the generic, American Express, Visa gift cards. I understand that there my be a surcharge where a $20 gift card cost $22 or $23 dollars. The advantage is that they can be used at restaurants as well as retail stores.

Nathalie if you PM me your email address I will PayPal some funds.

That you for taking one this effort.

Thanks all! I PM'd both of you.

Rabbitrescuer
07-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Again - you folks are awesome! The continuous love being sent our way is just overwhelming! I sit in Austin's room most of the day while knitting & talking to him. I tell him all about how everyone is sending prayers & positive thoughts his way. I can put cards & posters on the wall for him to see when he wakes up. The care they provide here is just wonderful. I just left Austin's room - we're back to heading in the right direction. He is down to 40% oxygen & medication is back down too. The Dr was very impressed with all the numbers tonight. I've been told that there will be continuous ups & downs throughout the process. They still don't know if he will loose any of his fingers yet. The burns on his hands are very bad since he was trying to put the fire out with them. I just keep taking everything 1 day at a time as this is all I can do. Dad & Ben will be here as soon as they can - he is dealing with making arrangements for our numerous animals & other things.

lulu2
07-13-2008, 03:50 AM
As usual, I am last in the queue ... only just reading about everything .
:noway:I am stunned and feel like this has happened to MY son!! :verysad:
Rabbitrescuer, please know that good vibes are coming your way from ALL corners of the world.
:grphug: Big big hugs for you and big gentle hugs for your boy.
Please can someone pm me an address so that I can also send something ... may take a while crossing the Arabian desert on camels ... but it will get there in the end!
lotsa love
lulu

auburnchick
07-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Thank you for the update, Rabbit. We're praying hard for you, my friend. :hug:

Lulu, I sent you a PM.

Folks, I've received nearly $200 thus far!!! You are all so generous. Thank you so much!

catcook
07-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Please PM me with an address. I don't have paypal but do want to send card and certificate. I know a friends son had a terriable accident and they found rolls of quarters most helpful, for vending machine, doing laundry etc. Although that may be too heavy to mail. Of course prayers are a must. MY heart goes out to this family. Cathy

tokmom
07-13-2008, 11:08 AM
count me in too.:hug: I can send via PP

The.Knitter
07-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Rabbit, thanks for the update. Keep them coming please. We are all in your corner, hoping Austin gets well quickly! I wish I could be there to help you through this. Know that you and your family are always on my mind!

Crycket
07-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Just saw the post now! I am very sorry to hear about it....
Remind me who is handling the granny squares?

mks22300
07-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the update Rabbit, we're all sending you postive thoughts! :hug:

auburnchick
07-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Just saw the post now! I am very sorry to hear about it....
Remind me who is handling the granny squares?

KnittinMitchie is handling that. You can go to this (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81538) thread, located in the Charity forum, to read more details.

count me in too.:hug: I can send via PP

Thank you! I sent you a PM.

Please PM me with an address. I don't have paypal but do want to send card and certificate. I know a friends son had a terriable accident and they found rolls of quarters most helpful, for vending machine, doing laundry etc. Although that may be too heavy to mail. Of course prayers are a must. MY heart goes out to this family. Cathy

Thank you! I sent you a PM as well.

iza
07-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh dear, I just saw that now. :pout: I'm so sorry, Rabbit... The Shriners hospitals are amazing, and I'm sure he will get the best care. Hang in there, and take good care of yourself. You'll need a lot of energy for the next little while. :hug:

I'll be thinking of you and your family. :heart: If there's anything you need, just ask us!

susi
07-13-2008, 12:30 PM
i dont have paypal either thats running. i will get a card sent top christina asap. just cant get out the damn house uintil next weekend (no car and very rural part of france).

are cards etc better going to the hospital or christina's house? (not asking for her address auburchick i already have it).

still thinkig and praying that austins on the mend soon

auburnchick
07-13-2008, 12:54 PM
i dont have paypal either thats running. i will get a card sent top christina asap. just cant get out the damn house uintil next weekend (no car and very rural part of france).

are cards etc better going to the hospital or christina's house? (not asking for her address auburchick i already have it).

still thinkig and praying that austins on the mend soon

It's probably best to send things to the hospital since he's going to be there for quite a while. I don't have her home address either.

That hospital is going to be inundated with packages, eh? Everyone is going to know that her family is very loved. :heart:

mks22300
07-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Nathalie, do you know if Austin has any favorite sports teams, athletes, superheroes, ect.?

MerigoldinWA
07-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I just saw this thread this a.m. and have read through the whole thing. This is just terrible for Rabbitrescuer's little boy and the whole family. I'm so glad he is doing a little better. He really has a lot to go through before this will be over. :sad:

I will certainly be praying :pray: for all of them and I would like to send a card to them at the hospital. Please PM me about the address and where to send the Pay Pal money. I have Pay Pal but am not very good about using it, I need to check more into what to do so that the money gets there faster than it has when I used it before.

Thanks Auburn Chick for doing so much to help us show our love and concern.

susi
07-13-2008, 01:10 PM
i can imagine that they will be inendated.

i didnt want you to think i was asking for her home addess as that would be a little odd as we have never 'met'. she is actually my pen pal from here.

i will get things sorted out next weekend, just frustrating that i have to wait until the, esp as it then has to get to america. darned postal!!

i did think the hospital would be the best, but thought it would be better to ask. could you send me the address at some point please?

thank you

blueygh2
07-13-2008, 01:24 PM
I would like to contribute as well, but since I don't have much time to knit something, and don't have the right yarn for the granny squares, I would like at least to contribute financially, so auburn, could you PM me the email adress for paypal please?

Best wishes and positive thoughts to rabbit and her family.
The road is long and exhausting, and if anything can be done to help, I'll be glad to help.

Abbily
07-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Nathalie, please pm me your email address for paypal and RR's address for care packages.

Austin, you and your family are in my prayers!

auburnchick
07-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Nathalie, do you know if Austin has any favorite sports teams, athletes, superheroes, ect.?

I'll call and find out today.

I just saw this thread this a.m. and have read through the whole thing. This is just terrible for Rabbitrescuer's little boy and the whole family. I'm so glad he is doing a little better. He really has a lot to go through before this will be over. :sad:

I will certainly be praying :pray: for all of them and I would like to send a card to them at the hospital. Please PM me about the address and where to send the Pay Pal money. I have Pay Pal but am not very good about using it, I need to check more into what to do so that the money gets there faster than it has when I used it before.

Thanks Auburn Chick for doing so much to help us show our love and concern.

PM'd you.
i can imagine that they will be inendated.

i didnt want you to think i was asking for her home addess as that would be a little odd as we have never 'met'. she is actually my pen pal from here.

i will get things sorted out next weekend, just frustrating that i have to wait until the, esp as it then has to get to america. darned postal!!

i did think the hospital would be the best, but thought it would be better to ask. could you send me the address at some point please?

thank you

PM'd you!

I would like to contribute as well, but since I don't have much time to knit something, and don't have the right yarn for the granny squares, I would like at least to contribute financially, so auburn, could you PM me the email adress for paypal please?

Best wishes and positive thoughts to rabbit and her family.
The road is long and exhausting, and if anything can be done to help, I'll be glad to help.

PM'd you!

Nathalie, please pm me your email address for paypal and RR's address for care packages.

Austin, you and your family are in my prayers!

PM'd you!

Karina
07-13-2008, 02:39 PM
My DH have sorted out a stack of comics, tomorrow I will go get a couple of mags for rabbit and get the lot in the post.

Glad Austin is doing a bit better today.

auburnchick
07-13-2008, 03:15 PM

I just spoke to Rabbit. He had a rough night (after she posted here), but he's doing better today.

I wanted to let you know that I've received over $300 in donations so far, and more money is on its way. Thank you for your generosity.

I asked Rabbit about the kinds of things her sons like.

They love to watch wresting. Their favorite wrestler is John Cena. They also like the Hulk, Spiderman, and Superman. Austin likes Chris Brown, who is an R&B singer.

If you want to knit something for Austin, you won't go wrong with any shade of blue. It's his favorite. He has an adult size head, so if you want to make hats, keep that in mind. He's about 5'7", so he's a healthy (i.e. tall) young man.

Ben's favorite color is green. He'll be taking some knitting supplies as well as toys and other stuff when he goes up to be with his mom...hopefully very soon.

Rabbit has a DVD player and a VCR in her room, and there's a portable DVD player available for Austin's room. I don't know if anyone wants to send movies, but it's an idea...

Please pray that they are able to find homes for their rabbits. They have quite a few and have come to the difficult decision to find new homes for them given the questionable future.

Guess that's it for now.

cacunn
07-13-2008, 05:29 PM
i will get things sorted out next weekend, just frustrating that i have to wait until the, esp as it then has to get to america. darned postal!

Susi in this case slow postal may be a good thing. If this runs like many situations like this there will be a large influx at first then things will drop off. Rabbit and her family need this support now , but they are still in shock. This is going to be on going for many months. Rabbit will need even more support in a month or so when she is exhausted and getting depressed, we need to make sure we do another round of books, cards, etc.

We all know things are going to work for the best for the family considering all the prayers, lets all plan to be here for Rabbit until this is over.

auburnchick
07-13-2008, 06:03 PM
This is going to be on going for many months. Rabbit will need even more support in a month or so when she is exhausted and getting depressed, we need to make sure we do another round of books, cards, etc.

We all know things are going to work for the best for the family considering all the prayers, lets all plan to be here for Rabbit until this is over.

I agree 100%. I'll try to plan out two or three balloon deliveries...spaced out over maybe a month or so. That way, he's getting a new arrangement when he least expects it. But we'll definitely need to keep sending cards...to let them know we haven't forgotten about them as the shock wears off.

KnittinMitchie
07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree with Aubrun and cacunn. That Rabbit and her family will need on going support. I know the blanket will definately cheer everyone up. you can find the thread (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81538) about the blanket CAL/KAL in Charity knitting. PM me if you have questions about the blanket. I would like to send the blanket near the end of August.

Arlene
07-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Auburnchick,

I would like to contribute to Rabbit and her family using paypal as well as sending my thoughts and prayers.

Please let me know where to send the funds to.

Take care,
Arlene

auburnchick
07-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Arlene, I sent you a PM. Thank you! :muah:

Rabbitrescuer
07-13-2008, 10:28 PM
I can't eat in Austin's room so here's another update. He has done great all day today - we are down to 1 blood pressure medication! He is also back down to 40% on the oxygen - we had to go back up to 100% last night. The Dr's have assured me this is all part of the roller coaster effect that comes with trauma such as this. If he remains stable tonight he will go in for another surgery tomorrow morning at 7:30 & again on Tuesday. I will try to come on tomorrow at some point to update everyone.

KnittinMitchie
07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
GREAT BIG HUGS

Glad to hear Austin is making progress and getting better. You're in our thought and prayers.

auburnchick
07-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Thank you, Rabbit, for the update. It does help me direct my prayers more specifically.

BTW, you are one strong lady. I don't know how you do it, my dear. I'm sure that Austin senses your strength and is drawing from it to fight through this.

Dangles
07-14-2008, 02:20 AM
:hug: Rabbit, thanks for updating us. Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Austin. Prayers for Ben, you and the family.

Shandeh
07-14-2008, 02:37 AM
:heart: :pray: :heart:

Jaxhil
07-14-2008, 06:47 AM
:muah::hug::hug::hug:for all of you!!! RR, I am so sorry to hear about your precious son, and his little brother having to witness the accident. I have eight and ten yr-old sons as well, and I just want you to know I am praying for you and your boys, and sending hugs (gentle hugs for Austin!) your way!!

I will see about getting some cards made, and if we can get together a care package to send. I would love to send a movie or too, thanks for mentioning what he likes! Not surprisingly, my boys like the same things ;)

Be well, take care of yourself also, RR! :grphug:

PurlyGyrl
07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Rabbit, so glad to hear that Austin is doing better. Very gentle hugs to him and big ol' bear hugs to you:hug:

dmknits
07-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm very sorry about what's happened to your son. :pray:

khaosx5
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Thoughts and prayers to you all!

Simply_Renee
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I am so sorry to hear this- Shriners hospitals are wonderful. My dad is a Shriner and I used to volunteer at the Erie burn unit.

I will keep her whole family in my thoughts and prayers- and will PM for the address, I have a troop of Girl Scouts that would love to make some cards for him!

bethany
07-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Oh, rabbit, I'm so so sorry to hear this. I am just finding out today, haven't checked in for some time. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Lisa1216
07-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Rabbit~I have had your family and Austin in my prayers also. :hug:

Rabbitrescuer
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Austin did great during surgery! As long as he doesn't have any problems today/tonight he will go back in tomorrow. So far they have cleaned up both arms, hands & chest/neck. Tomorrow they plan to clean up his legs. They will hold off on his back for now as he has developed fluid in his lungs & his body does not tolerate being turned very well. They are working on weaning him off of the remaining blood pressure medication. I will come on at some point tomorrow to let everyone know how tomorrows surgery went. I received a package from VaKnitter today - Thank you! Austin has his blanket on him now & I'm sure he will love it as it's his favorite color & has footballs, soccerballs & basketballs on it. I described it to him as I was covering him up with it. My shawl is very lovely as well. The KH family is such a wonderful one & I am proud to call myself part of it. :grphug:

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Rabbit, Glad to hear the update on what is happening...I am keeping close contact with Auburn.....Here is a big hug to your whole family......Grandma Maria

stitchwitch
07-14-2008, 04:56 PM
I just rolled back into town last night and just read this thread. I haven't even gotten past the first two pages. Words cannot express my deepest heartfelt sympathy for what you and your family are going through. Know that others are thinking of you, your son, and the rest of your family and all of us care very deeply.:hug:

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Rabbit, This group is all like family.. when one of us is hurting we all are hurting and this is what makes this group so so special... Love, Grandma

auburnchick
07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi all!

I want to thank you for your generous donations. I've received about $400 thus far. More money is on the way.

I am going to try to refill Rabbit's Tracfone minutes online. She's in the process of setting up the account.

I'm also calling flower shops near the hospital and arranging for a delivery of balloons. This way, we'll cut out the middle man (ftd.com) and save on some fees, which will make the money stretch out more. I'm also going to get a Visa card for her so that she can get the things her family needs without being restricted to one store.

Just wanted to give you an update...

Karina
07-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Rabbit thanks for letting us know what is happening, I hope his lungs improve soon so they can carry on cleaning the burns.

Sending you healing thought to you and your family.

mks22300
07-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Nathalie, I have another question for you...does Austin like books and to be read too?

vaknitter
07-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Didn't want to post this picture until Christina and Austin received their package. This is the feather and fan prayer shawl and fleecie I sent them.
Glad to know he is doing better :woohoo:

auburnchick
07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Nathalie, I have another question for you...does Austin like books and to be read too?

Yes, he likes to read and be read to. Of course, right now, he has to be read to. The boys enjoy Harry Potter, Magic Tree House, Animal Ark, and other books.

Didn't want to post this picture until Christina and Austin received their package. This is the feather and fan prayer shawl and fleecie I sent them.
Glad to know he is doing better :woohoo:

Lovely work, va. That shawl pattern is gorgeous!!!!

1to1
07-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Christina, :hug: My thoughts and prayers for you and your family. :pray:

Karina
07-15-2008, 06:00 AM
va that fleecie will be well used by the boys, I am sure. Very pretty Shawl.

iwouldratherbeknitting
07-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi,
I have been visting friends in the states this summer- and often didn't have access to the Internet... so, I haven't been around much and I'm currently in a hotel for a couple of days- then, to the airport to another city for a couple of days (hotel again) and then off to Germany. *that only has a room w/ 2 computers that hotel guests can use for 15 minutes at a time.

My hand/thumb is still in a cast- so, no knitting for me (darn it) and I don't have a paypal account nor any way to a post-office until I get to Germany.

However, I want to do something... and I do have some great children's books (since, I'm a teacher) and can get them soon after I get to Germany and can mail them/etc. from there.

Could you send me the hospital address or if it's listed somewhere here (I didn't read all of the postings) please direct me to it. I'll only have a computer to use for the next 20 hours and would like the hospital address (or where I should send something that won't arrive for 2-3 weeks) before I leave and won't have a computer to use.

Thanks.

KnittinMitchie
07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
PM'd Ya IWRBK

auburnchick
07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Mitchie! I just got on for the first time today.

KnittinMitchie
07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
your welcome Auburn. :)

Karina
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I have posted a package with some comics for the boys and 3 new UK knitting mags for Rabbit, I am not sure how easy UK mags are to get hold of in the US. So hopefully it will be a little different. A couple of DVD. Dvds are limited in choice as 99% of ours are region 2. If they can play region 2 DVD in the hospital then I have loads to chose from. I put in a card and a bar of Chocolate. I am not sure if Austin would be able to eat chocolate but maybe Ben can have it.

They told me it would take 3-5 days to get there, knowing UK postage I think it is more like 2 weeks. Will be interesting to see who is closest.

margz3
07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
How awful! My thoughts and prayers are definitely with the whole family! If you could pm me your email, I will try and make a contribution through paypal just as soon as I can (may be a week or so though......)

auburnchick
07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
How awful! My thoughts and prayers are definitely with the whole family! If you could pm me your email, I will try and make a contribution through paypal just as soon as I can (may be a week or so though......)

Thank you, Margaret. I sent you a PM.

Becky Morgan
07-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Here's a website about a young lady who had a similar amount of burns, and how she's doing now:
http://www.harliwhite.com/

Another thought: Harli is a racer and when the community found out, many of the big names sent her T-shirts, cards and other memorabilia to cheer her up. Many, if not most, celebrities can be really nice when they hear about a young fan who has run into bad luck. John Cena might be a good person to get hold of.

linnypin
07-15-2008, 04:21 PM
My thoughts are with you and all your family

Mulderknitter
07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Here's a website about a young lady who had a similar amount of burns, and how she's doing now:
http://www.harliwhite.com/

Another thought: Harli is a racer and when the community found out, many of the big names sent her T-shirts, cards and other memorabilia to cheer her up. Many, if not most, celebrities can be really nice when they hear about a young fan who has run into bad luck. John Cena might be a good person to get hold of.
That sure sounds like a fantastic idea! though I don't know who that is:??

auburnchick
07-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok, folks. I found a link and sent an email to the WWE.

Crossed Fingers

The.Knitter
07-15-2008, 06:41 PM
That would be great for Austin. He will love it. Is there a way to get in touch with his favourite soccer team as well? Wonderful idea Chicky. You are a great organizer.

mks22300
07-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Very cool Nathalie! It would be so awesome if he (or his representative) gets back to you!

Rabbitrescuer
07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Austin did well in surgery again today! The dose on the 1 remaining BP med is down way low & he seems to be tolerating that well. The Dr. did a tracheostomy (no idea if I spelled that right) today & they assure me this is more comfortable for Austin as he is still on the ventilator. She looked at his hands & forearms today to measure progress & said they are much pinker. She said she may take skin from his lower legs & go ahead with grafting there on Friday. She said his lungs are looking better & plans to go ahead & clean his back up on Thursday. She is still unsure about his fingers but if he has to lose any it will only be the tips. For his chest & back they will have to use a procedure called cultured skin which I will let you google as I don't want to gross anyone out. Just wanted to let everyone know all the prayers & well wishes are working! He still has a long way to go but at least we're going in the right direction now.

Jaxhil
07-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm so glad to hear Austin is doing well! We continue our prayers for his recovery, and for all of you.

I would like to send maybe a movie, or do you think maybe a GC to Blockbuster would be better~ or even practical? I would hate to send something he already has, and with the GC he would have more variety. But I am unsure as to wether that would be an option for you or convenient to use. Also, some books~would he be interested in The Lord of the Rings series? or is there some other series he might enjoy that you know of? Let me know (if its convenient!) if you can think of something, otherwise I'll wing it~I've had lots of practice with boys :p

knitting4-2girls
07-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Christina, thanks so much for the update. Sounds like Austin is doing really good. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.

PurlyGyrl
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM
So glad to hear Austin is improving.:muah:

Sewing Angel
07-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope it just keeps getting better. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Angel

Dangles
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Rabbit, thanks for the update. I am glad the surgery went we. Continuing the prayers and thoughts for Austin, you and the family. :hug:

Rabbitrescuer
07-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Today has been a great day!! I got up to Austins room this morning to find out he has been taken off the remaining blood pressure medication & they have also discontinued the medication to keep him paralyzed :cheering: He has been moving his legs & head & has blinked several times at me.
We received a care package from Mrs. Hre today with lots of goodies in it! Thank you!! And I told Ben when I spoke with him today that there was something special in there with his name on it. He was very excited & said to tell you thank you from him. I would love to post pictures of each package as it comes in but I don't have my camera with me so I will just have to stick with letting you all know in my updates that I received it & thank you.

KnittinMitchie
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
:) Glad to hear Austin in making very good progress. I talked to yarnwidower yesterday and told him that I really miss you rabbit.

I think of you and Austin almost all day. Your in our thought and prayers.

bambi
07-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Christina, I have been following your posts and I am really happy to know that he is doing well. I will continue to keep you and you family in my prayers.

Bambi

NikitaShera
07-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Rabbitrescuer, my heart goes to your family. Thank you auburn for startingthe post.

mks22300
07-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Rabbit, that's great news! :hug:

Shandeh
07-17-2008, 12:19 AM
:heart: :heart: :pray: :heart: :heart:
:heart: still praying in North Carolina. :heart:

Karina
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Rabbit that is great news, my son goes to a church of England school and told his teacher about Austin so they could all include him in their prayer.

auburnchick
07-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Hello all!

First of all, thank you for the incredible outpouring of love, donations, and goodies. My jaw has not come off the floor since last Saturday.

As promised, I am posting details on the donations I've received.

I received a check in the mail today, which brings the total funds received to $523.71. Paypal charged $18.61 in fees, bringing the grand total to $505.10.

I'm thinking that I'll add 400 minutes to Rabbit's Tracfone. This bundle of minutes runs at $99.99. I've tried to call Tracfone about the company possibly donating more time, but they are notoriously difficult to get in touch with.

Tomorrow I'm going to call a local gift shop and order a colorful (mylar) balloon arrangement. Now that Austin is able to open his eyes, he will be able to enjoy them. I'll post more info about the balloons as soon as I call. I would like to save a small amount of money to send Austin some balloons two or three more times.

His birthday is in August...I believe Rabbit said August 27th. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Timing goodies for around this day would be great!

I would like to purchase a VISA gift card for Rabbit. I'm thinking $250. Does this sound okay?

I wanted to assure you that the money you donated is sitting in an account that has none of my personal money in it. The account will ONLY be used for Rabbit's family.

Thank you for entrusting me with this task. You are all so wonderful. :hug:

Karina
07-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Thank you Nathalie for doing all this work. I have complete faith in you to decide where the money is best spent.

KnittinMitchie
07-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Well that gives me a good date to shot for with the blanket :)

If i can get all the squares by august 15th that will totally rock hi world.

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Auburn,

I know if you get a higher price plan for the tracfone you will be a able to double the minutes for the same cost...we have that plan for my hubby. I think that plan is like $100.00 here in this area. Do you know if my cards have gotten to them yet. Please forward me their birthday too

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Auburn,

So proud of you , your doing a great job keeping this all together...the lord will bless you for your continue kindness to other...Love, Grandma

auburnchick
07-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Auburn,

I know if you get a higher price plan for the tracfone you will be a able to double the minutes for the same cost...we have that plan for my hubby. I think that plan is like $100.00 here in this area. Do you know if my cards have gotten to them yet. Please forward me their birthday too

You know, I saw that double minutes thing, but I read a few comments on sites that said that people had problems receiving their double minutes.

Double Minutes for the Life of your TracFone
365 Days of Service
800 minutes

That is $139.99. Do you think I should get this instead?

Rabbitrescuer
07-17-2008, 11:16 PM
:) Glad to hear Austin in making very good progress. I talked to yarnwidower yesterday and told him that I really miss you rabbit.

I think of you and Austin almost all day. Your in our thought and prayers.

He told me he came into chat & talked to some people. He was so proud of his screen name too - men *rolls eyes* Mitchie - I miss you too & quite a few others too! Auburn calls me every day to check in :hug: See I knew we made her our chat mother for a reason :teehee: Pardon my warped humor - I must find my jollies where I can.
Austin has had another good day - surgery went well. She has gotten all but a portion of his back & his bottom cleaned up. For those that googled cultured skin & want to hear updates on that - it is going well. Biopsy was clean & is proceeding according to schedule.

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 12:33 AM

We all love you, my friend.

Dangles
07-18-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm glad to hear the surgery went well for Austin.

Nathalie is right, we all love you. :heart:

susi
07-18-2008, 04:31 AM
thats brilliant news he's doing so well.
sounds like he's amazing how he's coped with all this, a total credit to you guys totally.

still sending big :hug: to all you guys, you are being amazingly strong and so wonderful for little austin (although from what natalie said he's not so little at 5'7, criky he's 5" taller than i am lol).

rachejm
07-18-2008, 07:58 AM
So glad everything is going well!

xxx

losnana
07-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Nathalie, I think these are wonderful ideas. You're doing a great job for all of us. Thanks for all your work. :yay: :yay:

Hello all!

First of all, thank you for the incredible outpouring of love, donations, and goodies. My jaw has not come off the floor since last Saturday.

As promised, I am posting details on the donations I've received.

I received a check in the mail today, which brings the total funds received to $523.71. Paypal charged $18.61 in fees, bringing the grand total to $505.10.

I'm thinking that I'll add 400 minutes to Rabbit's Tracfone. This bundle of minutes runs at $99.99. I've tried to call Tracfone about the company possibly donating more time, but they are notoriously difficult to get in touch with.

Tomorrow I'm going to call a local gift shop and order a colorful (mylar) balloon arrangement. Now that Austin is able to open his eyes, he will be able to enjoy them. I'll post more info about the balloons as soon as I call. I would like to save a small amount of money to send Austin some balloons two or three more times.

His birthday is in August...I believe Rabbit said August 27th. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Timing goodies for around this day would be great!

I would like to purchase a VISA gift card for Rabbit. I'm thinking $250. Does this sound okay?

I wanted to assure you that the money you donated is sitting in an account that has none of my personal money in it. The account will ONLY be used for Rabbit's family.

Thank you for entrusting me with this task. You are all so wonderful. :hug:

knitpurlgurl
07-18-2008, 10:49 AM
He told me he came into chat & talked to some people. He was so proud of his screen name too - men *rolls eyes* Mitchie - I miss you too & quite a few others too! Auburn calls me every day to check in :hug: See I knew we made her our chat mother for a reason :teehee: Pardon my warped humor - I must find my jollies where I can.
Austin has had another good day - surgery went well. She has gotten all but a portion of his back & his bottom cleaned up. For those that googled cultured skin & want to hear updates on that - it is going well. Biopsy was clean & is proceeding according to schedule.

That's wonderful news!!! :)

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 01:03 PM
A little something was ordered for Austin today. It should arrive some time tomorrow. :wink:

KnittinMitchie
07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Auburn you're just the best. i know he'll like it and Rabbit will be thrilled.

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Okie dokie, folks. I just added 800 minutes to Rabbit's cell phone. The additional airtime also doubles her minutes for one year.

I'm on a roll today! :thumbsup:

Mulderknitter
07-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Okie dokie, folks. I just added 800 minutes to Rabbit's cell phone. The additional airtime also doubles her minutes for one year.

I'm on a roll today! :thumbsup:
Seriously, you rock!:muah:
I finished part one of surprise package for Rabbit today. don't know how many parts there will be, but be assured that I LOVE giving gifts, especially if they are surprises. I have a friend that makes handmade lotions, another that does soaps, and I love to make stuff for other people. I'm weird, but I love to use the yarn stuff I've been hoarding because it's so gorgeous for gifts. Makes the whole knitting experience that much more fun.
Look out Rabbit! You have a gift package coming whenever I feel like there is enough in it!

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 08:48 PM
:passedout:

What generous folks we have here!!! I am sure everyone in my real life is tired of hearing me say this, but I can't help myself. You constantly find new ways to be generous.

Wow!

cheley
07-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey there Knittenmitchie..pm'd you a few times, please be sure you let me know that you have rec'd my"shoebox of grannies"...otherwise I'll start "tracking them down:muah:

Wanda Witch
07-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Nathlie, I really don't think anyone on this site will ever get tired of you saying what is going on. You are truly one-of-a-kind, in fact, I will go so far as to say, "an angel in disguise." Bless you, may God always keep you well. We love and respect you. Wanda W.

auburnchick
07-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks Wanda. You are much too kind. My family would quickly tell you that I have horns. :angelgrin:

All glory to God. I am only a servant, and an imperfect one at that.

Rabbitrescuer
07-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Austin had another good day today - Dr. finished cleaning up those last few areas today. He is becoming more aware of things & demanded I take the trach tube out this evening. I'm having to read lips as he can't speak yet but he was pretty darn clear on that. He is also very confused every time he wakes up as 1 of his medications prevents him from remembering things. The Dr. plans to start taking skin from his lower legs to begin grafting his hands & lower arms on Monday. All is going well with the cultured skin biopsy too - they say August 15th things should be ready to start those grafting operations.

I had a rather large stack of mail arrive in Austins room today. There were cards from Clairegrandmamaria, Mirl65 & JessicaR. And a package from theknitter - wow such a lovely assortment of goodies. The blanket is just beautiful. Thank you! Just like Auburnchick I know I keep saying it but you guys are just great!! :grphug:

Shandeh
07-19-2008, 01:28 AM
:heart: :pray: :heart: Austin :heart: :pray: :heart:

auburnchick
07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Here's a bit more personal info (not my personal info, but Rabbit and her family's)...for those who have asked:

Birthdays:
Austin - August 27th
Ben - February 28
Rabbit - April 16
Yarnwidower (aka Rabbit's dh) - April 11

Rabbit's favorite colors are green, blue, and purple. She's also a tea drinker.

The boys do not have iPods.

Ben and Mr. Rabbit are flying up on Monday. Please pray for safe travels and especially for Ben. It's is first plane ride, and he's nervous about the flight.

Thanks all!

vaknitter
07-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Rabbit - Thank you for all your updates. Your family remains in my prayers. I am glad to hear that Austin is doing better and making progress everyday. In all of this make sure that you and your hubby take care of yourselves too.
Nathalie and all the other KH'ers - you guys are awesome !!

Jeremy
07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm glad to hear about Austin's progress. We prayed for him in synagogue yesterday.:hug:

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Yes, we al love you...Grandma

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Rabbit,

I know when your hubby and ben gets there on Monday, it will make you very happy that you can all be together.....More hugs to go around......My thoughts are with you morning , noon and night......Please keep the updates coming...We are also so bless to have our "Room Mother Auburnchick"....she been great. Love to all. Grandma

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Auburn, I just nickname you "RoomMother" You get Room Mother of the year reward....Keep up the great job.....You have really put your love into this and it really show.....hugs....Grandma

catcook
07-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Every time I open this thread to keep track of how Austin is doing I am overwhelmed by the love flowing from this group to Rabbit, Austin, Ben and Mr. Rabbit. Natilie you deserve a big KUDOS for all the work you have done. I'm sending prayers and a big hug to all the family. >^,,^< :hug: :hug:

Rabbitrescuer
07-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Austin had a kinda rough day yesterday. He was more aware of things & his temper kicked in. He demanded that I take the all tubes & such off of him, he wanted to go home, he wanted to get up out of bed, etc. And was very PO'd when I said can't do that yet. He reached a point last night where he looked at me & told me to get out - that was a rough moment for me but I did as he asked. I was lucky enough to find Auburnchick on here - so we talked for awhile. :hug: I realize he is just lashing out b/c I am here and he can. He is just scared & very frustrated as some of the drugs prevent him from remembering things so every time he wakes up it's like WTH?? all over again. He also saw his hands during the bandage change yesterday for the first time so I imagine he had to work some things out in his head.
Today he is doing better. But he did get Ketamine during his bandage change (whole body this time) so he's pretty drugged at the moment. Health wise he is doing great - I think at this point it's more anxiety that's the problem. Dr. will start grafting on his hands tomorrow. Wish us luck!

auburnchick
07-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Dr. will start grafting on his hands tomorrow. Wish us luck!

This is terrific news, my friend! You know we're here for you, any time of the day. Thank goodness Sheldon doesn't hang a "Closed" sign on this forum at 5pm. :teehee:

Auburn, I just nickname you "RoomMother" You get Room Mother of the year reward....Keep up the great job.....You have really put your love into this and it really show.....hugs....Grandma

You know...I picture it as us being in one big LYS, with us sitting around, sharing our lives, and hugging (virtually) each other when we need it. It's human kindness at its best. The rest of the world could take a page from our book, don't 'ya think?

I think that this site should get "Internet Place of the Year." This group is FANTASTIC! I think that the love we feel for each other is genuine, despite the fact that we've never met face-to-face.

MerigoldinWA
07-20-2008, 08:18 PM
That must be really rough with him forgetting and being so drugged up. I'll definited keep the prayers flowing. We prayed for him at the Vacation Bible School our church had this week. The kids were concerned and several asked me how he got burned. Hang in there.

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-20-2008, 08:52 PM
i am crying now...so i better go before my key board gets to wet.....love, grandma...

Wanda Witch
07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
I cannot imagine being a child and awakening to find I did not remember this, that or the other. In fact, I cannot imagine doing this as an older woman. He is going through the gates of you-know-where. Our love and prayers are ever present. He will be okay. God is good and won't let all of the family down. Still sending daily prayers and positive thoughts your way. Austin is a tough fella, he'll make it.:grphug: :hug: :muah:

KnittinMitchie
07-20-2008, 11:29 PM
It is very rough for Austin I'm sure. YEARS ago my dad spent 10 days in the hospital after a major heart attack. He was on SO many meds that he didn't realize night from day and decided to take a walk pulling all of his lines out. Being on blood thinners made it rougher. I know its not the same thing but I know what rabbit is going through.

GREAT BIG hug.

mks22300
07-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Best of luck to Austin and you all hang in there! :hug:

lulu2
07-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Dear Rabbit - Thanks for the updates on Austin, you have a long, slow, hilly road ahead ... but here are lots of shoulders to cry on and friends to help carry the load. :grphug:
And Auburnchick - We should all be so lucky to have a friend/angel cloud9 like you if something bad happens. Much good karma will definitely come your way!
Here is a little link just for you ... I thought you might need a smile break! :teehee: http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2008/07/live-at-the-sil.html
lotsa love
lulu

Karina
07-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Rabbit thanks for the update, so glad that Austin continues to improve. I hope everything goes according to plan with his skin grafts today.

rachejm
07-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the update. Good luck with the grafts.

:hug: :heart: :hug:

xxx

auburnchick
07-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Here is a little link just for you ... I thought you might need a smile break! :teehee: http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2008/07/live-at-the-sil.html
lotsa love
lulu

:roflhard:

margz3
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
So glad to hear Austin's health continues to improve! The emotions are tough to deal with (for both of you!) but they too, will improve! Hugs to you all and you remain in my prayers!

DorothyDot
07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Rabbit,

I remember seeing something on tv many years ago. There was a very sick boy, battling cancer - leukemia, I think. His mother got the brilliant idea of buying a big sock puppet - a dog, I think, with a black eye-ring. Then she would talk like the dog and tell her son that he could tell the dog anything. Just as if his mother wasn't there.

And... the boy did! all his anger, all his fear - he just poured it out to that wonderful puppet. the mother had the sense to just talk as the puppet, not to interject herself at all. [Crying as I type this - wish my mother had had that kind of sense and sensitivity during my operations!]

Could this be some way to help Austin? That dear boy is dealing with pain the likes of which most of us cannot begin to imagine. And a mother can only say/do so much.

Just a thought,
Dot

Jeremy
07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
If its at all a consolation, most patients don't remember these kinds of events in the ICU when they've been this sick. (I was an ICU nurse years ago.)

KnittinMitchie
07-21-2008, 05:13 PM
For those of you who dont venture into the Charity section here is a link (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1132273&postcount=53) to see some of th squares I've gotten for the blanket for Austin.

Rabbitrescuer
07-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Austin did well in surgery today - Dr.'s said everything looked good. Apparently what they did today was take off the covering they had on him & they will actually be grafting tomorrow. :shrug:
Again thank you to all you wonderful folks for the continued outpouring of love & support :grphug:
I had a thought Friday afternoon & talked it over with Auburnchick. I have decided to start a thread for Charity knitted items for the kids who are in Shriners Hospitals. Not sure if everyone knows this or not but all care provided to patients at Shriners Hospitals is free. They rely on donations & money from fundraisers. So I thought this would be a good way to help them help children. I spoke with people here at the hospital & these are some of the items they like to have for the kids: Blankets - they have patients from infant up to age 18 so any & all sizes, they hadn't thought of this but told me it would be great - caps for the kids for when they have their heads shaved to use skin from the scalp for donor site - this I feel is especially bothersome to the girls, Knitted toys cannot go to kids in Acute care but can go to those in rehab & outpatient - teddy bears are especially loved by the little ones. If anyone would like to participate in making items for the kids in the shriners hospitals let either Auburnchick or I know. I will be posting in the charity section too but thought I'd give those who don't venture over there a heads up.

auburnchick
07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow! I didn't realize, when we talked, that we would have so many options! Fabulous!

I really appreciate your updates (especially since I haven't talked to you yet today!).

KnittinMitchie
07-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Blankets are a good idea and if we want to we can do squares like we did for mason's mom and then sew the squares together for the bigger kids since knitting an adult size blanket can take a good while.

auburnchick
07-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Blankets are a good idea and if we want to we can do squares like we did for mason's mom and then sew the squares together for the bigger kids since knitting an adult size blanket can take a good while.

How many 8x8 squares would make a nice, medium size blanket...with border added?

Shandeh
07-22-2008, 12:31 AM
If you want to make a lapghan, it would measure 40 x 48.
This would be 5 squares by 6 squares, so you'd need 30 squares.

Doodknitwit
07-22-2008, 12:32 AM
here's the link..

http://www.shrinershq.org/shrine/

Shriners Hospitals for Children is a one-of-a-kind international health care system of 22 hospitals, dedicated to providing pediatric orthopaedic specialty care, innovative research and outstanding teaching programs.

Children up to age 18 with orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care and receive all services in a family-centered environment at no chargeóregardless of financial need.

If you know of a child Shriners Hospitals might be able to help, please call our toll-free patient referral line:

In the U.S.: 1-800-237-5055.
In Canada: 1-800-361-7256.

How you can help Shriners Hospitals for Children

KnittinMitchie
07-22-2008, 02:07 AM
How many 8x8 squares would make a nice, medium size blanket...with border added?

shandeh beat me to it but 30 squares. So about the size of what we made mason's mom. Here is the link to shriner's (http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals_by_Specialty.aspx)and depending on which specialized area you want it will give you the location of the hospitals that specialize in that field. This would work for the regional oddballs if you're stuck ofr places to donate too. Just a suggestion though.

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Rabbit,

So glad we can all keep updated by this wonderful thing called a computer....I knew the care for Austin was all taken care by the shriner's, but I did not know that they house the family for fee....what a wonderful thing...Glad that Austin is having better days...it not easy and you do have a long road..but now with Mr. Rabbit and Ben there you are now able to share and take turns....Love you much keep updating as you can... Can the Hospital use stuff animals?

Rabbitrescuer
07-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Can the Hospital use stuff animals?

Yes they can

Austin did fine in sugery today - it was really late in the afternoon by the time he went in so he is zonked right now. He's having his bandages changed now & dad wanted to take his turn being in there.
He is less agitated now since they have put him on some anti-anxiety medication. Dr. said everything looked great & no more surgeries for the rest of this week. And he is off of the ventilator at this point. :cheering:

twoxover
07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
that's great news!

figaro
07-22-2008, 09:35 PM
That is great to hear Rabbit! Sounds like he is going to get a break from the surgeries for a few days. It must be a relief his dad and brother are there with him along with you. I am going to try and knit up a square for the blanket.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated with his progress:grphug:

mks22300
07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
That's great news Rabbit!

KnittinMitchie
07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
AWSOME!!!! can Austin use his hands or are they still bandaged up pretty good? I was going to send him a magnadoodle so he could write or draw to tell you how he's feeling and express himself.

The.Knitter
07-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Rabbit, I have been away for a week, but I did receive a text message from Auburnchick (way up north at my trailer) on Friday. I got back about two hours ago, and I have just gone through and checked on Austin. I am so very glad he is getting better, even if it is slowly. Slowly getting better is far better than the alternative. Yay Austin. You just keep on getting better sweet boy!

Rabbit, I am sending you a huge hug. I am glad you liked your package. The list of women that worked on Austin's blanket is in with the blanket. It was a group effort. I am glad he likes it. I hope it gives him some comfort when he is feeling sad or frustrated!

Keep up the good work Austin! You are doing great!

PurlyGyrl
07-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Great news Rabbit! :muah: Hugs and kisses to all of you.

Rabbitrescuer
07-23-2008, 09:57 AM
AWSOME!!!! can Austin use his hands or are they still bandaged up pretty good? I was going to send him a magnadoodle so he could write or draw to tell you how he's feeling and express himself.

Still all bandaged up for now but that's a good idea

Rabbitrescuer
07-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Rabbit, I am sending you a huge hug. I am glad you liked your package. The list of women that worked on Austin's blanket is in with the blanket. It was a group effort. I am glad he likes it. I hope it gives him some comfort when he is feeling sad or frustrated!

Please tell each & every one of the women who worked on it thank you for me! He did smile when I described the blanket to him & told him someone sent it all the way from Canada to him.

By the way I forgot to mention - Austin received a big balloon bundle on Saturday!! He gave a big smile when I showed it to him - I think he especially liked the great big blue M&M! Thank you to everyone involved in that. Also we received a lovely card from Gail yesterday - Thank You. :hug:

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Rabbit, that is good news about Austin...How is Ben and Mr. Rabbit taken all of this.....Now with Mr. Rabbit there you will be able to take a break and he can take in his share of watching over Austin...It is not easy...we are all behind you and care so very much....I will see what I can do about the stuff animal....Love, Grandma

Lisa1216
07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear Austin is making progess and hanging in there! I continue to keep him, your family and all of his doctors and nurses in my thoughts. :hug:

Shandeh
07-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I had an accident last night, where I burned 3 of my fingers a little bit. I had to hold them in ice water for 5 hours before the pain finally subsided. I was thinking of Austin, saying prayers for him the entire time.

auburnchick
07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh goodness, Shandeh! :hug:

lulu2
07-24-2008, 08:26 AM
I just went to town to buy a couple of goodies to send to Austin ... girls are SOOO much easier to buy for than boys!!! All those ugly, violent, menacing looking aliens and "superheros"!!
Shandeh, I also burnt my finger the other night - it was a bit red, but didn't even blister ... but I had tears in my eyes it was so sore. Also thought of poor Austin - thank goodness for the drugs doctors have now!
Rabbit, please have a special, special, special hug from me today ...
~~~{{{(((:hug: )))}}}~~~
and of course a BIG one for your boy
***(((:hug: )))***
lotsa love
lulu

The.Knitter
07-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Rabbit, how is Austin doing today?

I really appreciate the updates as he is never out of my thoughts.

Here's a hug for you ((((((((((Rabbit)))))))))). I hope things are going well!

Rabbitrescuer
07-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Austin is doing good today. Everything looked good during bandage change today. The Dr. plans to use his scalp for donor site next week to try to go further up on his arms. She wants to ideally make his arms & legs his own skin & just use cultured skin for his chest, torso & back. We’ll just have to wait & see. She said part of his upper back is healing up nicely & some other areas may do the same. Luckily he only received minor burns on his face & they have almost completely healed up. We’re still waiting to see if his finger tips will be ok. The Dr. said his fingers are worse on the right side which is a good thing since he’s left handed. The Dr.’s are very pleased with how he is not getting any infections on the areas that they have covered now - this is a common occurrence in cases like his. I told them from the beginning that he has an awesome immune system.
We received a nice package from Karina yesterday - Ben & dad said big thanks from them & I'm sure Austin will say the same when he's able to look at them. I love the magazines too - thanks!
Shandeh - LuLu no more playing in the kitchen :rofl: seriously I hope you girls are ok.

Mulderknitter
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey Rabbit:waving:
Thank you so much for the continual updates. I am sure that it is hard to get away to pay attention to us folks over here, but we all sure do appreciate the updates!
Did you end up having to find homes for all of your rabbits? I really thought of you when I heard that you might, after all of the work that you have done, it broke my heart to think you might have to give them all up. :pout:
Please keep posting, and let us know if there is ANYTHING at all that we can do to help your family thru this rough time.
susan

The.Knitter
07-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks Rabbit! I'm so glad Austin's doing better. I'll keep him in my prayers. Keep on sending the updates! It gives you a chance to take a quick break once a day!!!

ClaireGrandmaMaria
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi Rabbit, WIll have to keep this short...but just wanted to check in to see how Austin and family is doing..My computer has been down most of the day....can't afford a new one now..hope this keep running. Hug to all 4 of you...I am trying to get a picture of me to this site, but not sure how to do it here. Got a new picture on Ravelry. Hugs and kisses to all. Grandma

lynn893
07-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I also just wanted to add that your son is in my prayers, as is the rest of your family.... :grphug: :aww:

KnittinMitchie
07-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Rabbit it was nice talking to you tonight. Glad Austin is doing well and healing :) You're in my thoughts.

Sewing Angel
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Rabbit, I am so glad Austin is doing so well. I will think positive thoughts about his fingers. What a great thing to have a strong immune system.
Angel