PDA

View Full Version : SHARK!!

Jan in CA
07-13-2008, 03:53 PM
DH took his sister and her friend sailing yesterday. They were dragging a lure and hooked this 5+ foot Mako Shark! His sister Christina took this picture, but I thought it was cool with those insane teeth! :shock: He broke the lure and swam away, but I guess it was pretty exciting!
Here's a link to a really good large one.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/330975542_riwMH-XL.jpg

http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/330975542_riwMH-M.jpg

ritaw
07-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Nice picture . I can imagine it was exciting for them . :)

feministmama
07-13-2008, 04:02 PM
This is in California? Sharks are everywhere :biting:

Mulderknitter
07-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Wow! I would be stunned and horrified if I pulled that out of the water!:zombie:

Knitting_Guy
07-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Too bad it got away. Shark steaks on the grill are great.

figaro
07-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Great whites have been seen up in Humboldt County for years, check out this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_cKaPdDTrI

cristina61
07-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Jan! Hope you don't mind I sent this to my DH's work so he can see it there tomorrow. He's a die-hard fisherman (mostly bass) and I know he'll get a kick out of it.

We often hear about sharks off the coast of N. California, where we live, but have never had a close encounter like this one! :thud:

scout52
07-13-2008, 06:51 PM
OMIGOD that would have scared the cr$% out of me!!! Excuse my language. I've been scared of sharks ever since Jaws!!! I live in San Diego and you can go in snorkeling with these sharks in La Jolla. Apparently they are not the people eating kind but I still won't do it. I won't even go swimming by that beach only south from there where they don't mingle with the swimmers.

Jan in CA
07-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks! This was taken off Dana Point, CA. He's sees sharks pretty frequently, but never caught one this big. It was really too big to bring back in. It was at least 5 ft long and probably 200 lbs he said. Besides we don't have a freezer big enough for that much meat. Also..why kill it? ;)

He sees Blue Whales all the time now.

Knitting_Guy
07-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks! This was taken off Dana Point, CA. He's sees sharks pretty frequently, but never caught one this big. It was really too big to bring back in. It was at least 5 ft long and probably 200 lbs he said. Besides we don't have a freezer big enough for that much meat. Also..why kill it? ;)

He sees Blue Whales all the time now.

Why kill it????? Have you ever tasted shark steaks cooked on a grill after being marinated over night?

Yum yum!

I regularly catch sharks 6 feet long and larger down home. It's not as much meat as you might think as a lot of it isn't worth eating.

auburnchick
07-13-2008, 07:12 PM
That's an amazing photo! What an experience!

mks22300
07-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Holy smokes! What a picture!

Dangles
07-13-2008, 11:52 PM
That's a great photo.

"I think we caught a big one..." Reels in... "EGAD! It's a Mako. Uh oh better watch out for Mako."

Ronda
07-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Holy Smoke. I would have lost it.

Jaxhil
07-14-2008, 07:03 AM
:shock: EEK! I woulda been shrieking!! LOL!!

cool picture though!

PurlyGyrl
07-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Whoa! I would have wet my pants if I had pulled that sucker out of the deep!:teehee:

dmknits
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Yikes! Great picture.

I saw Jaws when it came out; I was 11. To this day I cannot go to sleep with my feet dangling off the edge of the bed. :aww:

fireflyknitter
07-14-2008, 09:25 AM
I think they're gonna need a bigger boat... :teehee:

dustinac
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
:rofl:

Great photo!! That would have scared me to death, I'm sure of it...:teehee:

bambi
07-14-2008, 10:02 AM
That's quite the picture! I would have been startled to death if I had pulled that thing out of the water. I'm such a land lubber, much to my DH's dismay. He loves sailing on the ocean blue.

Bambi

Jan in CA
07-14-2008, 10:25 AM
:roflhard:

I'm sure I would have been quaking if I'd seen it, too. I would have been afraid it would jump into the boat or that DH would fall in with it!

I know Shark is good eatin', Mason. Part of the problem was that he was with his 65 yr old sister and a guy who had never been sailing or even on the ocean before. There is NO way they could have gotten it on the boat because there is no place for it (the cockpit is NOT a good idea with those jaws and strength!) and in order to tie a rope on the tail to drag it back he would have had to jump into the water with it while trusting the line and two people who hadn't a clue about sailing or anything else for that matter. Not a good plan. :noway: We also do not have room for that much fish. :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2008, 03:07 PM
omg :noway:

scout52
07-14-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm so glad I am not the only one that Jaws has traumatized. :rofl:

Plantgoddess+
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Being a Navy brat, I've swum on both coasts and the tropics. I've been bit by a couple of unseen things as a child. Then I saw Jaws and haven't been able to swim anywhere that has living things in the water, such as lakes, rivers, ponds. Now in my mid 50's I'm trying to get over it so I can play with friends in the summer. I bought a kayak and I have managed to swim out over my head a few times in local lakes. I was tying my kayak to a rock underwater last week so I could swim and a fish came out from under the rock and attacked me. I'm pretty sure it was just a bass, but it scared the hell out of me and I screamed and about ran across the water to shore. My girlfriend thought it was hilarious. I told her " see, I'm justified to be scared of being attacked while in the water!" I did manage to swim for a bit, but was very careful when untying my kayak.

scout52
07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Dang it and here I thought it was safe to swim in lakes. I never knew bass would attack!!

My first summer in San Diego I was attacked my jellyfish. and a BIG one. I went boogie boarding with my little brother. he was 16 at the time and I was 23. i was way over my head. It made both legs numb. My brother had to drag both me and my board and his board back to shore. and then he had to carry me back to our towels. I had these HUGE welts from my waist all the way down my legs. I was numb for about 25 minutes. poor thing was so worried about me. But I was fine after the numbness wore off I was just scared of drowning until he swam to me. I never realized how hard it is to keep your head above water with just your hands. thank goodness for that boogie board.

BusyBee
07-14-2008, 07:13 PM
wow!
thats crazy!
when i was in Catalina the other week a couple was in a little boat
and they ran into a shark!
how do you just run into one of those things?!?!?!
i heard that the first day i was there...so needless to say, i didn't spend too
much time in the water!

Jan in CA
07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
They literally ran into it?? :?? That is weird!

Dangles
07-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Running in to a shark :??

Puddinpop
07-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Look at what someone sent me.
http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=VJnxYsZNzwM

BusyBee
07-15-2008, 06:27 PM
They literally ran into it?? :?? That is weird!

yeah...ran straight into it!
i was like :oo: :noway: :oo:

scout52
07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
How do you not see the shark?? don't you see the fin? you can see the dolpin fin above the water so you should be able to see the shark fin. they tend to be kind of near the surface.

these stories are making me really afraid of the pacific ocean. esp with the recent shark attack in san diego.

Jan in CA
07-15-2008, 07:48 PM
The water is too cold for me here in socal so I stay out of it. Hawaii is another story, but I still stay close to shore. I'm a big chicken.:shifty:

bjc1050
07-15-2008, 07:49 PM
How exciting AND scary!

brightspot
08-07-2008, 04:21 AM
I think Jaws messed up a whole generation. They showed it to us in 7th grade in the gym for a "treat"! What were they thinking? :oo: I can't sleep with my toes hanging off the bed either, lol.

cheley
08-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Crossed Fingers How in the "H" did they unhook it??? I did CA last year (first time in my life) I went over the Bay (Golden Gate) and I kept "visualizing" SHARKS AND WHALES...my cousin (native of CA) kept repeating " I think that's just the "waves"...I guess it was just wishful thinking..but, did see a lot of "wine bottles" in Napa:woohoo: and a gray wolf in Lake Tahoe:inlove:

Jan in CA
08-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Crossed Fingers How in the "H" did they unhook it???

He broke it himself by yanking it. He's probably still swimming around with a hook in his lip.

cheley
08-09-2008, 10:04 AM
He broke it himself by yanking it. He's probably still swimming around with a hook in his lip.:help: Yikes!!!

tokmom
08-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Holy Cow! what a surprise to hook that! What an awesome picture.

Puddinpop
08-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Shawna, that is so funny about not being able to hang your feet off the edge of the bed. I always notice when my hand is hanging out over the edge. I never related it to Jaws, but that could be why I don't like it.