PDA

View Full Version : Frustraited and Confused

Crycket
07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Ok...

I just started (and restarted and restarted and restarted etc....) a fair isle project (my first) using the technique on this website....

http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Twohandedvideo.htm

The technique is easy enough for me. I am able to work the stitches fine the way she teaches it. But I was finding that my stitches looked weird, and pulled....and if my tension wasn't right, I would have my opposite colour popping through the back....

I am using Mary Maxim DK Mellowspun....

So...just for the sake of proving to myself that I was indeed proceeding the right way...I pulled out a set of my Denises, and some ugly scrap Red Heart and plugged away on the free purse pattern given on the above site. Not paying any mind to tension, I did the first 10 or so rows....it is fine. It looks the way it should, nothing peeping through (despite my careless lack of tension) stitches don't look pulled...or anything....

I guess my question is...are some yarns just not good for fair isle?

Is is better looking in certain weights of yarn then others?

I am right confused! :wall:

Jan in CA
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't see anything about the mellowspun that would change it, but sure. Every yarn behaves a little differently so it's certainly possible. :think:

Crycket
07-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I am wondering if perhaps it is the fuzzies on the mellowspun...sometimes they catch...I don't know...it is a dramatic difference....

G J
07-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Some yarns just don't want to be certain things! I'm working with bamboo right now and it does NOT want to be anything lacy! Grrrr. I certainly understand your frustration! At least you know you can do the technique!

Crycket
07-17-2008, 10:33 PM
That is really good to know!

And thinking about it too...I might try Mellowspun again...because the current Mellowspun I am using was an irregular batch...maybe it is slightly lighter weight...or something....

Either way...I am stranding that project right now and I will go back and approach it again with different yarn later....

Jan in CA
07-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Is it possible you're using too large a needle? I would think that if the knitting is too loose it might not work well either. However, fair isle must be 'stranded' loosely so it doesn't pull in and affect the garment or whatever you're making.

Crycket
07-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I am using a 3.25 mm needle with DK weight yarn...

Perhaps it should be smaller? I don't know...like what you both said earlier...my mom said that some yarns just aren't right for some projects...I know I can do the technique...I just need another yarn!

Knitting_Guy
07-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Smack the yarn around a bit, maybe it'll behave.

Crycket
07-19-2008, 10:16 AM
But those darn acrylics have a mind of their own....rebels down to the core I tell ya!

Crycket
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I think I have finally after 2 months of not thinking about it, figured out what was wrong....

I think the reason I was getting dips or weird pulls is because my knitting english is much more relaxed then my new found skill of continental knitting.(Or possibly vise versa) I think it was actually the "This is how I knit" Thread that got me thinking about it again.

So I guess what would be the best way to even out my tention between the two styles? Practice is my best guess!

Jan in CA
09-25-2008, 01:59 PM
So I guess what would be the best way to even out my tention between the two styles? Practice is my best guess!

Yep! I knit english except when doing fair isle and I have to watch carefully, too.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Interesting!!! The knitting style didn't occur to me as possibly being an issue. I knit conti anyway, and when doing fair isle i keep both colors in my left hand.

Crycket
09-26-2008, 12:47 AM
It is funny what seeing a video of yourself knitting can do...

I mean clearly you watch yourself as you knit, but when you aren't involved...it can change the way you see it.....