PDA

View Full Version : Need help with slipping stitches

ready2knit
07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm flat knitting a cardigan sweater. On the right front I was able to slip the first st at the beginning of each row to get a nice edge. I'm having difficulty creating the same effect on the left front.
So here's the question. I know I can slip the first st at the beginning of the row, but what do you do to create that edge at the end of the row?
I tried slipping the st when I turned my work, but it doesn't match the right side. Any ideas?

suzeeq
07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
You can also slip the last stitch of the row and knit the first one. Maybe that would match the other side.

ready2knit
07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I've tried that, but I'm not able to get the look of the chain edge, it creates a bump.
I can't seem to get the chain edge oriented to the front of the work.

suzeeq
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Mine does. Slip the st purlwise with the yarn in front if it's a purl row; slip it purlwise with the yarn in back if it's a knit row. Then when you do the first st on the next row, the yarn is in the right place for it. You must be wrapping it around the end st to get a bump.

cam90066
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
You worked the first st on the right front on the RS to get the slipped sel. (Center front of the cardi.) Work the first st of the LEFT front on the WS. Same st, same effect, same location. Otherwise do what Suzeeq said. You'll get the same result either way.

cam