PDA

View Full Version : Alix’s Lace Prayer Shawl (Debbie Macomber) KAL?

Azlynn
07-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Would anyone be interested in making Alix’s Lace Prayer Shawl with me from the Back on Blossom Street book?

Here is the link for the pattern and a bit of the background. The shawl is really pretty, and I'm in love with all of these books, so it has special meaning to me and the person I'm making it for (my MIL)
Alix's Prayer Shawl (http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=nnp&pageID=195).

Here is the Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/alixs-prayer-shawl) link for it, which shows better pictures.

I just ordered the yarn to make it and can't wait until it gets here so I can get started. It would be even more fun to do it as a KAL! :woot:

The yarn I ordered is:
Knitpicks Shimmer Hand Dyed Lace Yarn
3 hanks (I wish they would come in balls instead of hanks)

Content: 70% Baby Alpaca, 30% Silk
Weight: Lace Weight
Amount: 440 yards/50 gram hank (x3 - wanted to make sure I have plenty)
Care: Hand Wash/Dry Flat
Color: Sunkissed

It should be here within the next couple of days. I hope someone will join me!
Terri

Azlynn
07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Awww no one wants to knit this with me? How about ANY shawl? My yarn is still not here, so I haven't started yet.

farmgirl
07-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I really think that is a beautiful shawl! I would love to knit it with you. Did you get your yarn yet? I am going to the LYS tomorrow!:cool:

auntcrafty
07-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I'll KAL my shawl with you. I love the one you selected, but my stash isn't available just now. I'm going to be knitting a comfort shawl for someone.

I've been having problems with the internet tonight so I'll have to ETA the link later.

Azlynn
07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Oh! I hadn't checked this thread for a few days because I didn't think anyone was interested! I do have my yarn and have already started on the shawl. I would love to have someone to knit along with me though - this or any other shawl would be great!

I'm at a stall at the moment because a close friend's birthday is this weekend and I had to stop for a few days to work on another quick project, so it'll give you guys time to catch up.

Do you have Ravelry? If so, here is my project status: Prayer Shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Azlynn/alixs-prayer-shawl).

I'm going to add a progress picture when I get 2 more repeats done, so I'll post them on here too if you guys aren't on Ravelry. :)

Here is a picture of my yarn. No progress pictures because there's not much to see until I can pick it back up next week.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3237/2701942955_2be58ff774.jpg

I'll have to admit I'm a little disappointed in the yarn color. It showed a more orange color on the website. I still like it, but I ordered it specifically because it was orange.

farmgirl
07-30-2008, 03:43 AM
I got my yarn earlier today and will get started. :cheering: My son has doctor's appointments tomorrow so I will have time to knit while waiting. I am going to use Panda Silk in a purple colorway. It's too bad the color didn't turn out like you had hoped. It still is really pretty though!

Azlynn
07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
farmgirl, I went and looked at that yarn on Ravelry, and it looks yummmy! Is it a fingering weight?

I'm really falling in love with the color I ended up getting, even though it wasn't as orange as I'd hoped for. The color changes are really pretty and working out perfectly. I can't wait to finish this other project I'm working on so I can get back to my shawl! I hate it when people surprise me with birthdays I didn't realize were coming up. lol

I look forward to seeing/hearing your progress after your son's doctor appts tomorrow!

Miss Kittie
07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Will you quit twisting my arm!!!
I have the pattern printed out and the yarn, BUT have to many thing to finish up before I can start...
And with the Olympics starting in 8 days. Maybe after the Olympics I'll start and play catch up...

Azlynn
07-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Twiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssttttttttt LOL

I'm trying to knit it between so many other projects as well. I do need to focus ONLY on this, but it's still going to be several more days up to a week before I can do that though.

It's such a fun pattern once I tore all my hair out while I was figuring out that it was easier to read the chart rather than the written instructions. This is my first lace project, so I had a rough start. ;)

Miss Kittie
07-30-2008, 01:58 PM
My first Lace project I tried to use cobweb weight yarn.. :wall:
I'm working on some scarfs.
Falling Waters Scarf ~ Olympic KAL on another forum.
Fairy Godmother Scarf ~ waiting on an order to come for a hook small enough for the beads.( should be here tomorrow) (( I tried a piece of wire but went slow))
Candle Flame Scarf~ while I'm waiting for the order to get here..
Finished my Upstairs Shawl ~ Need to block it. so I guess I can say I finished knitting it:teehee:

farmgirl
07-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Azlynn,

Yes, it's fingering weight. I figure if I don't use it all I can make a pair of footie socks and/or a scrunchie!

I was all the way to the third pattern repeat when I messed something up really badly and had to frog the whole thing. So now I am back to the beginning of the third pattern part, but now I have a lifeline!

Alex's appointment went ok (he has really bad asthma). They put him back on the shots that I am praying will help him.

As soon as I can convince DH to help me with the camera I will post a picture of what I've done so far?

Miss Kittie,

Did you cast on yet?

Azlynn
07-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Wow farmgirl you knit fast! It took me like 3 days to get to the third repeat, and I had to frog back from there, too. I did have a lifeline, but even with that I had to start over because the yarn I have doesn't frog well and it kept getting snagged and didn't look right. I think I have a good system going now though - or will once I pick it back up. I'm going to be way behind by the time I pick it back up!

Miss Kittie
07-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Azlynn,

Yes, it's fingering weight. I figure if I don't use it all I can make a pair of footie socks and/or a scrunchie!

I was all the way to the third pattern repeat when I messed something up really badly and had to frog the whole thing. So now I am back to the beginning of the third pattern part, but now I have a lifeline!

Alex's appointment went ok (he has really bad asthma). They put him back on the shots that I am praying will help him.

As soon as I can convince DH to help me with the camera I will post a picture of what I've done so far?

Miss Kittie,

Did you cast on yet?
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Gato2perro/smiles/angry%20and%20no%20smileys/thNono.gif Can't do it till after the Olympics.http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Gato2perro/smiles/angry%20and%20no%20smileys/th68.gif

auntcrafty
07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Gato2perro/smiles/angry%20and%20no%20smileys/thNono.gif Can't do it till after the Olympics.http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Gato2perro/smiles/angry%20and%20no%20smileys/th68.gif
I was just thinking I should have done the same thing! Some friends would like some washcloths as a gift & since I signed up for the Olympics KAL first probably should focus on them & the baby afghans. I will have more time later.

Azlynn
07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Ohhhhhh I thought you meant something about the real Olympics. I guess I should read some more and figure out what you're really talking about since it obviously has something to do with knitting olympics! lol

farmgirl
07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
I figured out who my shawl is for today. One of the girls at work has a tumor on her pituitary gland. She will have to have surgery but thankfully it's not malignant. Her mom,whom she took care of at home, died last year and she also has cancer. Talk about someone who needs a prayer shawl!:grphug: Azlynn, thank you so much for starting this knit-a-long. God works in mysterious ways.

Azlynn
08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Wow, what timing, huh? I think she will be the perfect recipient for this shawl then!

auntcrafty
08-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I was just thinking I should have done the same thing! Some friends would like some washcloths as a gift & since I signed up for the Olympics KAL first probably should focus on them & the baby afghans. I will have more time later.

Okay, I feel the need to hop back into completing my shawl. I plan to give this Elegant Comfort Shawl (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60392-K.html?noImages=) to someone I have never met -- her 33 year old husband was killed last Thursday in a car accident, leaving her behind plus their daughter and baby girl due in November. I know about them because his father is one of my favorite CSN radio pastors & knows my pastor back in Maine. I plan to do something for the girls as well.

I'll be using Bernat Bamboo Natural Blends in Wicker, using size 11 needles.

Azlynn
08-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Wow, that's sad :(

auntcrafty
08-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes it is pretty sad -- my heart has been grieving for his family (wife, daughter, baby, father, mother, & brother plus many friends) since I found out last Sunday. Their church family is huge so I know his wife & the girls will be taken care of.

auntcrafty
08-03-2008, 02:22 AM

I am not liking this yarn at all! It's getting "hairy" and the length of yarn left over when I cast on, shredded off by row 5. I usually wait to weave in the ends until I'm finished, but this time I had to do it before I continued knitting. Not sure the yarn is going to hold up as a shawl/stole.

Azlynn
08-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Awwww Penny that stinks. I saw that yarn online recently and was actually going to try it because I saw reviews that it was soooo soft. I don't think I'll bother with it now after hearing that. I'm sorry that's happening. I wouldn't risk it for the whole shawl...especially after such a loss when it's comfort she needs, not something else that falls apart :(. Have you continued knitting since you noticed it falling apart by row 5, or did you stop there? I'm hoping you haven't gotten too far into it. How much yarn did you buy for it? Maybe we can help figure out what else that yarn would be good for if you decide to change yarns.

As for the Alix's prayer shawl. I've finished with my other projects and I'm back on track. I had no idea it was knitted from the top down, and I had a scare last night when I was looking at some others and noticed mine appeared to be upside down! I emailed another person on Ravelry and asked about it, and she was so nice and wrote back telling me it was knitted from the neck down. I'm SO inexperienced, I have no idea how this is going to turn into a point, but I guess I'll have to trust the pattern.

I have an update picture. You can't really see much since it's bunched up on the needles, but here it is (the white in the picture is dental floss for my lifeline). I have ordered a longer needle so I can spread it out more, and after a couple more repeats I think I'll put it on waste yarn to really spread it out to take a good look. I've noticed a few mistakes, but I'm going to call them "design features" because I don't have time to fix them. lol

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2729314958_882d02edf5.jpg

farmgirl
08-04-2008, 07:06 AM
I haven't gotten much further on my shawl. I have been trying to finish up a sweater for DD and seam my mom's sweater. We took my mom off dialysis and she is not expected to live long so I have been spending most of my time at the nursing home. I really want to get that sweater done so she can wear it. I think I will get it done today and then get back to work on the shawl.

Azlynn, your shawl looks beautiful & I certainly couldn't see any "designer extras"(???) My shawl has a few of those,too!

Azlynn
08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry farmgirl. Could you knit while at the nursing home? :(

My "design features" are specifically of a dropped stitch that was too far down by the time I noticed it, so I just kinda tied it to the one above it, and the middle ridge part shifted over by one stitch after the second repeat. Probably not noticeable to the recipient, but they're huge glaring errors to me. I just pray she doesn't notice them when I give it to her. :)

I'm starting to feel a lot of pressure. I only have until September 10 to get this done because that's when my MIL is arriving and I really want to give it to her face-to-face instead of mailing, and I just don't know if I can finish on time.

auntcrafty
08-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Awwww Penny that stinks. I saw that yarn online recently and was actually going to try it because I saw reviews that it was soooo soft. I don't think I'll bother with it now after hearing that. I'm sorry that's happening. I wouldn't risk it for the whole shawl...especially after such a loss when it's comfort she needs, not something else that falls apart :(. Have you continued knitting since you noticed it falling apart by row 5, or did you stop there? I'm hoping you haven't gotten too far into it. How much yarn did you buy for it? Maybe we can help figure out what else that yarn would be good for if you decide to change yarns.

Love yours! Can't wait to see the end results!

I stopped knitting until I could figure out what else to do. She doesn't know I was planning to send her a comfort shawl, so I can safely stop working on it and make something else with the bamboo later. I have 8 skeins all together and since I don't have to decide what to do with it right now, I'm putting it back in the box. I'm going to be focusing on my other UFOs, the oddball blankets, and dishcloths. I think I would like to make a shawl like yours sometime.

auntcrafty
08-06-2008, 03:41 AM
I'm sorry about your mother, Lori. I hope you were able to finish the sweater for her to wear.

farmgirl
08-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I got Mom's sweater seamed up and she wore it last night. My brother and I stayed all night at the nursing home and I just came home to take a shower. I'm glad I was able to give her one last gift. Thank you for your sympathy. What cannot be remedied must be endured.

Azlynn
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Lori, I'm so glad you got to give your mom that one last gift and she was able to wear it. That's so sweet :) I just don't even have the right words for you...

Penny, I'm still weirded out by your yarn problem. I was looking on Ravelry at all the other projects that used that bamboo yarn, and everyone seems to love it. They're using it for toys, tops, hats, etc., and everyone comments on how much they love it. No complaints of breakage or anything. I wonder if it's just the loose ends not being woven in that was splitting. The actually knitted rows didn't break, did they? I know it seems like I'm obsessing on your yarn. haha

auntcrafty
08-08-2008, 03:21 AM
Lori, I'm so glad you got to give your mom that one last gift and she was able to wear it. That's so sweet :) I just don't even have the right words for you...

Penny, I'm still weirded out by your yarn problem. I was looking on Ravelry at all the other projects that used that bamboo yarn, and everyone seems to love it. They're using it for toys, tops, hats, etc., and everyone comments on how much they love it. No complaints of breakage or anything. I wonder if it's just the loose ends not being woven in that was splitting. The actually knitted rows didn't break, did they? I know it seems like I'm obsessing on your yarn. haha

Yes it was just the end, but I have never had a yarn break off like that & all the stitches I had worked got very "hairy" -- which some yarns do -- I don't know. I'll frog and throw away the section of yarn I had knit. I'm wondering if it is because I frogged it more than twice -- but that doesn't make sense if it's supposed to wear well. I should try a different skein to see what happens.

Azlynn
08-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want to wear something that's going to get all hairy like that. Maybe use another skein and knit a large swatch, then somehow duplicate "wearing." Like carry it around in your purse for a week or so where it'll get bumped and knocked around a lot, just to see how it holds up. That should be pretty telling.

I'm only starting my fourth repeat out of nine of my prayer shawl now. I may only do eight since my MIL is rather short, and it looks like nine repeats may be too big for her. That will save me some time, but I'm still feeling a little stressed about getting it done on time. Eeeeek! Why do I do this to myself?

My son starts school on Monday (10th grade), and I'm potty training my other son, trying to work full time, and I have RA. I don't have time for much knitting at all, much less under a serious time crunch. lol

farmgirl
08-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Just checking in quick. I have been at the nursing home since Thursday. Mom still opens her eyes some & squeezes my hand. My brother is with her today.

I am on the fifth repeat of the "d" part. I really want to have the shawl done for when my friend goes to surgery.

You are so busy Azlynn! Don't know how you get as much knitting done as you do!

Azlynn
08-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Lori, It's good that you're getting a break.

I don't know how to count repeats and stuff, but I guess I'm on the third row of section "e" now. I printed out the chart sections and taped them together to make my own since the chart given ends after section "d" I can't figure it out in my head to just add one more repeat and I just know I'd get all confused. So now I have all these very looooong sections of chart to get me through the whole shawl. I'm a very visual person and need that printed chart. lol Plus, by doing it that way, I can make it bigger so I can actually see it.

I don't know how I'm going to get all the knitting done I need to. This is embarrassing, but I work on my shawl while watching TV and sitting in the living room, and I work on another, more mindless project in the bathroom :aww: (I can't believe I just admitted that) Plus I have another mindless project going for if I'm talking on the phone since I can't work on my shawl while talking on the phone. I've had to learn to multitask - not a minute wasted. LOL

farmgirl
08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Mom passed away yesterday morning. I was there with her, holding her hand. I am going to miss her so much but I am grateful that she isn't suffering any more.

Azlynn
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Lori, I'm so sorry. I know you're grateful that she isn't suffering anymore, but it must still be really hard. I'm glad you got to be there with her. How are you doing with it?:grphug:

farmgirl
08-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm really sad she's gone but I keep trying to remember how much she was hurting and that she's in a better place now. I think I'm still kind of numb. Even when you know it's coming it's still kind of a shock at the end. Thankfully my DH is a rock and really takes care of me.

KnittinMitchie
08-11-2008, 06:57 PM
This shawl is on my list of things to do. I'm also teaching (http://www.forums.thefuzzylamb.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=36) it as a chart reading project. I ordered 5 skeins of Knit Picks Palette in Asphalt Heather (http://lh4.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SJZnYOWZ_3I/AAAAAAAAAdA/rcqeZwqh7z0/DSCN0514.JPG?imgmax=800). Sadly I have to wait until October to cast on this shawl.

To add to the madness I'm doing Secret of the Stole 3.

Azlynn
08-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Haha Christine, I wish I had done mine in the right order - learn chart reading first, then attempt my shawl. This was my first lace project ever, and my first experience with chart reading. I finally got the hang of it, but it took me a while to get my groove. I tend to jump in with both feet and hope for the best. It's just a good thing my MIL (the recipient of my shawl) really loves me, as she won't care about my errors, if she notices them. lol

Azlynn
08-12-2008, 03:00 AM
Okay, here is a progress picture. I just finished what I call chart section "E" even though it actually ends at D. I made my own charts that continue through the end of the pattern. I hate that I had to put it on my bamboo circs, but the one I had it on was getting too short and this is all I had. I can see several mistakes, but I don't think they'll be visible to anyone else. I think my MIL will just see the overall project and will love it. Of course, lace looks like crap until it's blocked (or so I'm told, and it appears that way but when I stretch it out it looks much better).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2755505051_07b3e21d0e.jpg?v=0

I'm nervous about starting on chart "F" now! It's HUGE!

farmgirl
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Terri,
It's so beautiful! I'm sure your MIL will love it! I made a scarf once for MIL (just plain garter stitch) and she thought it was the most wonderful thing in the world!

KnittinMitchie
08-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Last year I crochet and knitted my MIL a dishcloth and towel set and a coaster, hot pad and dish cloth set. She thought they where wonderful as can be. This year I'm working on knitting her a felted purse :) I plan to tell her its for her smaller knitting projects cause she has this black purse she carries and loves.

Miss Kittie
08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
This shawl is on my list of things to do. I'm also teaching (http://www.forums.thefuzzylamb.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=36) it as a chart reading project. I ordered 5 skeins of Knit Picks Palette in Asphalt Heather (http://lh4.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SJZnYOWZ_3I/AAAAAAAAAdA/rcqeZwqh7z0/DSCN0514.JPG?imgmax=800). Sadly I have to wait until October to cast on this shawl.

To add to the madness I'm doing Secret of the Stole 3.
I joined your class..
I just like the pattern and might get some new tips.
I joined in on the Mystery Stole 4.
Like I don't have enough to do.:teehee:

Azlynn
08-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Thank you for the compliments and encouragement.

I think you're right, and she'll love it despite any mistakes. She is the one that got me started knitting, though, so that makes it a little trickier. But still....she'll see it as a whole picture and how much love that went into it. :)

I don't understand this mystery stole thing. Is that like...you don't even know what you're making when you start it? Sounds interesting. I've intentionally stayed away from all threads on that because I have WAY too many projects going and am stressed enough as it is. LOL

KnittinMitchie
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I joined your class..
I just like the pattern and might get some new tips.
I joined in on the Mystery Stole 4.
Like I don't have enough to do.:teehee:

I'm doing Secret of the Stole 3. Really wanted to do the Mystery Stole 4 but it would have been too much knitting on my plate.

Miss Kittie
08-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't understand this mystery stole thing. Is that like...you don't even know what you're making when you start it? Sounds interesting. I've intentionally stayed away from all threads on that because I have WAY too many projects going and am stressed enough as it is. LOL

They give out so many clues (rows to do).
All I know so far is that it's a stole, using lacewieght yarn ( i'm going to use plum cobweb or KnitPicks bare laceweight) and you need 8/0 beads to show a pattern..
It starts Sept. 12 and last clue will be given out on Oct 10.
mysterystole4 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mysterystole4/?yguid=294611447)

farmgirl
08-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I signed up, too. I think I should be done with Alix's Prayer Shawl by then.

Azlynn
08-16-2008, 12:23 AM
How are we all doing on our shawls?

I just finished chart "F" and uploaded a photo. Here it is as it stands. I blocked it out a little bit to get a good look at it. I wish it was done already. I'm so sick of looking at this yarn and this pattern!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2767318026_27a6284172.jpg

Here are all the pictures lined up on my Ravelry page if you want to look: My Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Azlynn/alixs-prayer-shawl)

Hope you're all hanging in there!
Terri

KnittinMitchie
08-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Right now SOTS3 is kicking my butt. I have had to use my life lines and frogged once. SO I'm sure after I get it done Alix will be easy for me.

Azlynn
08-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh I'm sure it will be! As far as lace goes, from others I've seen, I'm guessing this is considered pretty easy. Since this was my first lace project, it wasn't very easy for me, but now it's just soooo tedious and I'm so sick of the same stitch pattern. It's really pretty though and will be totally worth it. I can say right now I will never make it again. I will pick a more exciting lace project next time. ;)

I can't wait to see your finished SOTS!

farmgirl
08-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Last night I started on the border.:cheering: I hope the Panda Silk blocks out okay! I am ready to be done with it. Hang in there, Teri, you'll get it done!

Azlynn
08-18-2008, 01:12 PM
OMG you're fast! I'm so envious! I still have 2-1/2 chart sections to do and am still freaking out thinking I might not get it done on time. I wish I could knit faster! Congratulations! I wanna see pictures!!!!!

farmgirl
08-22-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm done knitting but it doesn't look very big. DD, who is 12, tried it on & it fits her! I haven't blocked it yet, will post pic when I get that done. I may have to make a different shawl for my friend that is a bit bigger. I had 10 repeats of the pattern on each side when I finished. I'll let you know what the width & length are.

Azlynn
08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Well that's not very encouraging! I was hoping 8 repeats was going to be enough. I know it looks small, but I kept hearing the blocking does wonders for that. I'm SO close to running out of time, and I'm just now starting the 8th chart repeat and was hoping this could be my last.

Have you blocked yours yet? What are the measurements pre-blocking, and post-blocking if you have blocked it? I'd really love to hear how much of a difference blocking makes to give me encouragement that I can stop after this chart. lol I really NEED to be done. I may end up just showing it to her when she's here and then finishing it later and mailing it - totally not the way I wanted to do it though.

MsBehavin
08-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Lori, It's good that you're getting a break.

I don't know how to count repeats and stuff, but I guess I'm on the third row of section "e" now. I printed out the chart sections and taped them together to make my own since the chart given ends after section "d" I can't figure it out in my head to just add one more repeat and I just know I'd get all confused. So now I have all these very looooong sections of chart to get me through the whole shawl. I'm a very visual person and need that printed chart. lol Plus, by doing it that way, I can make it bigger so I can actually see it.

I don't know how I'm going to get all the knitting done I need to. This is embarrassing, but I work on my shawl while watching TV and sitting in the living room, and I work on another, more mindless project in the bathroom :aww: (I can't believe I just admitted that) Plus I have another mindless project going for if I'm talking on the phone since I can't work on my shawl while talking on the phone. I've had to learn to multitask - not a minute wasted. LOL
hehehe, you actually should feel fortunate....I know you have 2 boys... but I used to corner my mom in the bathroom for conversations!! lol, she still laughs about it now, but I always said she could not escape and had to pay attention! :) Anyways, I guess my point is that if you had a girl you may have not even had that quiet time to yourself.

MsBehavin
08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I am really sorry about your mom farmgirl.. I will pray for you and your family

farmgirl
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Terri,
I should have time to block & measure the shawl this weekend.

Azlynn
09-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I think I'm just going to do the border and hope for the best. It looks small, but from everything I've read, lace really blocks out a lot bigger and it should be okay. I kinda stretched it out and took rough measurements while still on the needles, and I think it will be okay. It'll probably be kinda small, but still a decent size. I just need to be done - I'm out of time and still need time for the border then blocking. I still want to hear your measurements pre- and post-blocking, and I'll share the same of mine. I'm starting my border tonight if I stick with my plan!

KnittinMitchie
09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
I have a question. How many repeats did you do on the shawl I know the chart only has 4 sections.

Azlynn
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I did 9 section repeats. It says in the instructions just to keep going, adding more repeats as needed. I can't visualize things like that in my head, and I do best with actually reading the chart and not written instructions, so I made my own chart just like the original, only huge, and just cut it out and taped pieces together to make it all big enough.

I'm doing my border right now and should bind off by tomorrow if all goes well. Hopefully it's big enough! It doesn't look big, but I'm hoping it blocks out big. I had to take my chances because I'm out of time.

Azlynn
09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Well, my shawl is done and blocked and ready to gift. That was cutting it really close on time! I only had 5 days to spare by the time I finished. I did the bind-off too tight despite having gone up 3 needle sizes for it, but I didn't have the time or energy to tink back alllll those stitches to try it again, so I blocked it out the best I could, and I'm pretty happy with it. You can see my project page on Ravelry Here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Azlynn/alixs-prayer-shawl).

Here are a couple of pictures in case you don't have Ravelry though:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2832652402_b9ea1c61ed.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2832652448_eb68dd61db.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/2832652420_6898a9bb78.jpg

I can't believe the difference blocking made, and giving it the bath before blocking really brightened up the yarn a LOT! I'm really glad to be done with this! I will be making another lace shawl, but I'll be taking a break for a while and working with some fat yarn for a while. lol

farmgirl
09-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Terri,

YOUR SHAWL IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!:cheering:

I still don't have mine blocked yet. Will post pics when it's done.

Azlynn
09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Thank you Lori :) I'm just so glad to have it done. I couldn't wait to block it and just be completely done. I will never do such a big project on a tight time restriction like that again! Next time I do a shawl (I think I'm going to do the Peacock Feathers Shawl), I don't care if it takes me 2 years - I'm going to relax while doing it! lol

I can't wait to see yours!

KnittinMitchie
10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I cast on today :) I'm using Knit Picks Palette in Asphalt Heather on Size 5 needles.