PDA

View Full Version : Belleflower shrug

Knitnan12
07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi. I wonder if anyone can help? I want to make the 'Belleflower shrug' from Michelle at TheSweetSheep [the copy I have is from Magknits] only it says one size and I know it is going to be too small for a U.K. size 18. You have to cast on 57sts and rib for 3 inches or so then there is a 11 stitch pattern repeat + 2 My problem is that if I want to add an extra pattern repeat say that is 68 stitches and the rib is a repeat of 3 [i.e. K2, P1] and the nearest is 69 for that. The nearest I could get was 90 stitches which works out for both but I am worried it will then be too big! I would be so grateful for somebody's help who has already made it in a different size. If I recall did 'HammaLee' make it? I need to get it cast on as it is for a gift. Thank you in anticipation!

jheatherley
07-23-2008, 03:49 PM
I have no clue what the Belleflower shrug looks like, but your ribbing does not necessarily have to be on the same number of stitches as the pattern stitch. Based on your gauge, determine the number of stitches you need for the pattern stitch. Say you decide on 79 (77 - a multiple of 11 - +2). Your ribbing is repeated on 3 stitches. Cast on 78 stitches (divisible by 3). On the last row of ribbing, add 1 stitch. Voila! You've got it.

Arielluria
07-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Is this (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bellflower-shrug) it? On Ravelry.

Knitnan12
07-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Jheatherley, thank you for replying. I omitted to say that the shrug is worked cuff to cuff, so I don't think your instructions apply, do they? I need to increase the width of the shrug i.e. neck down, the length I will probably keep the same. Arielluria, sorry I am not on ravelry:??

suzeeq
07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
She linked to the pattern that was in Magknits. What jheatherly and I are saying is basically the same thing - determine the stitch number you need for the ribbing, then when you're done with that, either increase or decrease a stitch to work the lace pattern.

Knitnan12
07-24-2008, 04:21 AM
I clicked on the link on ravelry, but all I got was the home page as I am not registered with them. Suqeez, I understand what you are saying but if want to do, say, two pattern repeats to make it bigger how big should I make the ribbing? Also would it not work if I have added another selvage stitch each end? i.e. 57 sts + 11 + 11+ 2 extra selvage stitches= 81 which is divisable by 3 for the ribbing:??

suzeeq
07-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Sure 81 sts works, but you'll have 2 sts too many for the pattern repeat. The +2 sts are already figured into the original 57, so you just need to add 11 sts twice to that which will be 79. CO 78 sts though for the ribbing, then when you're done with that increase 1 st. Or you can CO 79 and instead of ending the ribbing row with k2, p1, you'll end with a k2. And the next row would start with p2, k1 instead of k1, p2.

Knitnan12
07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Thank you Suzeeq, I just have to decide what size to make , I measured the proposed recipient today and she is definately a U.K size 18. Armpit measurement is 18", top of arm 15" and high bust measurement is 40", don't know where to start to tell you the truth! Think this will be the last 'one size' garment I will make. Thanks again for taking the time and trouble on this:oo:

suzeeq
07-24-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't think you need to be concerned with the bust measurement for this item; just shoulder to shoulder and width around upper arms and across the back.

Knitnan12
07-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks Suzeeq, hopefully I can bluff my way through it!:knitting: