PDA

View Full Version : Commercials that choke you up

scout52
07-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Do you guys have any commercials that choke you up whenever you watch it? I do.

You know they have the series of commercials with Morgan Freeman voiceovers (I so love Morgan Freeman) promoting the Summer Olympics?

well there is this one talking about this one sprinter in the I think 91 Summer olypmics who injured himself during the 400 meter race ( i used to run it myself it's a killer). It says, he didn't finish 1st, 2nd,even 3rd, it cuts to him falling on the track, grabbing his leg, and his father running to the track and Morgan goes on to say he and his father go on to finish dead last BUT they finish and they show his father helping him finish the race. Damn if that commercial doesn't make me tear up each and every time.

and it makes me miss my father who was there at all my competitions.

So which commercials pull at your heartstrings?

WolfWalker
07-24-2008, 06:04 AM
There's this PetsMart commericial that kinda gets to me. It's the one where this guy and his dog are outside and he is tossing a ball for his dog, and the ball bounces straight through the fence and lands right smack into the back of a passing garbage truck. The dog stands there and looks over his shoulder at the guy with an "awwwwwwww" look on his face, and the announcer says "You owe him." Just that look of disappointment on that dog's face is enough to get to me, as I used to have a dog that absolutely adored his tennis balls.

Debra in NC

gingerbread
07-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Mine is for the aspca with Sarah McLachlan . Then they show abused dogs and cats. Now that get to me every time, that is the only one that gets to my husband.
It rips my heart out every time I see it.

:waving:

miccisue
07-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Right now there are two that just kill me. I end up in a sobbing heap whenever either of them is on TV.
The first one is for the ASPCA, and has pictures of animals in shelters and Sarah Maclachlan (I know I didn't spell that right). Her song "In The Arms Of The Angels" is playing in the background, and just the pictures of the abandoned or abused animals.........sheesh, I tear up just thinking about the commercial!!!!!!!!!
The other one is for a pet food (don't remember the name....so it tugs at the heartstrings, but doesn't actually make me remember the product, which in advertising is not a good thing), and it has (again) a dog in a shelter. He's laying there looking sooooooooo sad, and you hear the sound of voices and footsteps coming toward him. He runs to the front of the pen and looks out, and he's cute as can be, but the people pass him by. He goes back and lays back down. The whole point of the commercial is that this pet food company donates to shelters all over the country to try and help animals like the one in the commercial get adopted, thus you should buy their food and help not only your pet, but other animals. For a while, they had a followup commercial to that showing a different dog, and then showing the dog from the first commercial in his new home. I bawled like a baby at both of them.
There's just something about animals hurting that rips me up inside..............

Ronda
07-24-2008, 07:15 AM

You know they have the series of commercials with Morgan Freeman voiceovers (I so love Morgan Freeman) promoting the Summer Olympics?

well there is this one talking about this one sprinter in the I think 91 Summer olypmics who injured himself during the 400 meter race ( i used to run it myself it's a killer). It says, he didn't finish 1st, 2nd,even 3rd, it cuts to him falling on the track, grabbing his leg, and his father running to the track and Morgan goes on to say he and his father go on to finish dead last BUT they finish and they show his father helping him finish the race. Damn if that commercial doesn't make me tear up each and every time.

I haven't seen that commercial, but I just teared up at your post! LOL

fireflyknitter
07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Mine are the exact same two as miccisue, in fact I tear up just thinking about the poor lonely dog in the pound... :'(

knitgal
07-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I cry at commercials all the time because I'm a huge baby.

There's one for Canadian Tire that I actually have to change the channel when it comes on. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlmwuwhCsgM)the YouTube video.

bambi
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Those older kleenex commercial used to get to me. About the son that calls home and says, "I love you, mom" and the mom is sitting on the front porch tearing up.

I also tear up at that ASPCA commercial and one about polar bears starving due to global warming, too.

I try not to tear up in front of DH b/c he makes fun of me.:pout:

Bambi

Puddinpop
07-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes, animals, old people, and little children hurting. I just can't stand it.

Krystal
07-24-2008, 11:43 AM
The most recent one to get me is one already mentioned. Pedigree has a whole range of commercials promoting adoptions and how if you use pedigree they donate to help dogs get adopted.

These two are my favourite ones, the second one is a really happy ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAxOtp4vDJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADR7GiCdOpo

David Duchovny did a great job narrating these. He had the perfect voice for them, much like Morgan Freeman's voice, it is very distinct, and very attention grabbing. It makes you listen and it makes you feel.

Luvmyrottnboy
07-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Right now there are two that just kill me. I end up in a sobbing heap whenever either of them is on TV.
The first one is for the ASPCA, and has pictures of animals in shelters and Sarah Maclachlan (I know I didn't spell that right). Her song "In The Arms Of The Angels" is playing in the background, and just the pictures of the abandoned or abused animals.........sheesh, I tear up just thinking about the commercial!!!!!!!!!
The other one is for a pet food (don't remember the name....so it tugs at the heartstrings, but doesn't actually make me remember the product, which in advertising is not a good thing), and it has (again) a dog in a shelter. He's laying there looking sooooooooo sad, and you hear the sound of voices and footsteps coming toward him. He runs to the front of the pen and looks out, and he's cute as can be, but the people pass him by. He goes back and lays back down. The whole point of the commercial is that this pet food company donates to shelters all over the country to try and help animals like the one in the commercial get adopted, thus you should buy their food and help not only your pet, but other animals. For a while, they had a followup commercial to that showing a different dog, and then showing the dog from the first commercial in his new home. I bawled like a baby at both of them.
There's just something about animals hurting that rips me up inside..............

Oh YES! These are mine too!

Ronda
07-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Right now I can't think of one that makes me cry, but there is one that ALWAYS makes me smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v_IYA99iL0

scout52
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Those pet commercials always choke me up too!!! I'm trying to think of the other commercial that makes me cry but I'm blanking out.

saracidaltendencies
07-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Mine is for the aspca with Sarah McLachlan . Then they show abused dogs and cats. Now that get to me every time, that is the only one that gets to my husband.

ME TOO! I can't even watch that commercial anymore because it makes me start crying!

There was also a Hallmark commercial a few years ago that was played around Mother's Day. I can't remember the commercial now, but, it used to get me all teary eyed every time.

It's funny to me the commercials that will get me teary eyed since becoming a mom...lol...There's another one, I can't remember what it's for but the song "You Are My Sunshine" is playing through the commercial...That one chokes me up too.

miccisue
07-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Many moons ago, when I was a kid in the 60's, there were tons of Kodak commercials that used to make me cry. I think the one that got me the most was one that had a song in the background that had lyrics "where are you going my little one, little one? Where are you going my baby my own? Turn around and you're 2, turn around and you're 4, turn around and you're a young girl going out of the door....." It ends up with "turn around any you're ______ (can't remember exact wording here), turn around and you're _____, turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own". Every time that dang commercial came on I'd end up bawling 'cause I could never, ever picture leaving my mommy and daddy and going away from them.
For some reason, those commercials seemed to always run during "The Wonderful World of Disney" show. Mom and Dad would find me bawling and ask me what was wrong and I remember saying "I don't ever want to leave you".
Of course, I grew up and understood the whole thing.....but the point is, I guess I've been a sap for sentimental/sad commercials for a loonnnnnnnnng time.:teehee:
This may make me sound awful, but I have to admit that now, it's the commercials about animals, not people, that rip me to shreds. I guess to me, they just seem more defenseless....as Karen Carpenter sang "they have no voice, they have no choice".:waah:

Jan in CA
07-24-2008, 05:40 PM

Yup, that one breaks my heart!

jjminarcik
07-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Mine are the exact same two as miccisue, in fact I tear up just thinking about the poor lonely dog in the pound... :'(

I second this! I have to change the channel when they come on or I will start :waah:.

The grocery store Publix always had great holiday commercials. I remember one specifically about an elderly couple making a pie or something and then delivering it neighbors, a young newlywed couple. Then the older couple takes a picture of the young couple with the pie and in front of their house. So Sweet! *tear*sniff*

WolfWalker
07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Oh, I agree! When I would see this commercial it would make me want to find out what shelter that dog was at and go adopt him, but the good (great!) news is that he actually got adopted into a loving home! The dog's name is Echo, and the video can be seen at:

http://www.pedigree.com/03Adoption/Adoption%20Video/AdoptionCommercials.aspx

I was never so happy as when I saw that this sweet face got a furever home! :-)

Debra in NC

mks22300
07-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Those Pedigree and ASPCA commercials get me too, as well as that Olympic one.

scout52
07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh I just remembered the other one that makes me cry, It's funny because I don't even have kids. It's for insurance (don't know which one)

Its these kids waiting for their parents to pick them up from soccer practice, and the mom picks up her 2 kids and there is one kid left and its about to get dark. She tells her kids to hurry up bc thier dad is waiting at the airport. She sees one kid left and says does he need a ride. He says no his dad is coming. She goes to leave. the voice over says all it takes is one person do to the right thing. Then it cuts to her, and her kids sitting with the last kid, with her car with the headlights beaming on them. They are all waiting for the kid's dad.

Dang if that doesn't make me cry. Because like when she drives away all you can think about all the bad things that could happen to him. They get you good with that one because you get all happy when she is waiting with him that you cry that she decided to stay.

saracidaltendencies
07-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Oh, I know exactly which commercial you're talking about! Though I too don't remember which company it's for...lol

remclave
07-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Actually, the series is for a credit card company.... It's Visa. http://lisettea.wordpress.com/2008/06/30/have-you-seen-this-visa-commercial/

I admit it still tears me up even though I know they are Visa commercials.

scout52
07-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Oh its for Visa? I thought it was for the Olympics! and they were just mentioning that Visa was the sponser. Doh!

I called my father in Dubai because of the commercial and wouldn't you know the commercial played right as we were talking about why I called. (He hadn't seen it. They don't play it there) I got all choked up as it was playing while I was talking to him. And he said he would have carried me across the finish line so I could have finished. made me cry even more. It was a good talk. I can't wait for my next trip to see him.

kristaj
07-26-2008, 03:05 AM
The one that gets me the most I've seen every year at Christmas since I can't remember when. They show it during a holiday Hallmark movie. It's the one where the young boy is singing O Holy Night and the big brother who wasn't expected home for the holidays shows up. Maybe its just the song, but it always gets me. Sometimes I think I watch Hallmark movies just for the cry I get from the commercials.

tokmom
07-26-2008, 10:02 AM

Yes, this commercial does. My second son is a 400 runner and is headed off to college. He might not try out because of knee pain. Any tips you can give would be helpful.:hug:

scout52
07-26-2008, 03:40 PM
What kind of knee pain is he getting? He might not be stretching correctly beforehand. I had the advantage of being a martial artist so i was extremely flexible. Men tend to tighten up much faster if they don't stretch correctly.

If it's tightness/tweeking kind of pain. I think he needs to stretch more. and then do strengthing exercises for his knees. Yoga has exercises that will stretch and stengthen his knees and hamstrings. Tae Kwon Do has leg exercises has well that will benefit his running.

Denise in Michigan
07-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Both my husband and I choke up during the Tim Horton's commercial in which a Dad is watching his son play hockey and is then joined by the Dad's father. The Dad thinks that his father never saw him play when he was a child, but it turns out that he did, and even carries a picture in his wallet of the Dad as a child in his hockey uniform!

mks22300
07-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Any Hallmark commercial that they air during Hallmark Hall of Fame movies. I can't specifically remember any, except vague images.

The.Knitter
07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Both my husband and I choke up during the Tim Horton's commercial in which a Dad is watching his son play hockey and is then joined by the Dad's father. The Dad thinks that his father never saw him play when he was a child, but it turns out that he did, and even carries a picture in his wallet of the Dad as a child in his hockey uniform!

That one gets me as well! The Visa one is just a box of kleenex waiting to be ripped open because we all know we're gonna have a sniffle or two. The pet ones, well, they break my heart and I change the channel... what a whoosie I am!

kristaj
07-26-2008, 10:20 PM
The pet ones, well, they break my heart and I change the channel... what a whoosie I am!

You're not a whoosie. I have to change the channel too. Not only do they break my heart, but my very sensitive 9 year old son bawls like a baby and can't calm him down because he can't bear to see animals hurt or homeless.

HollyP
07-26-2008, 11:44 PM
It is so nice to know I am not the only one who cries over a commercial! :grphug: I am so glad to have found you all!!
I cry every time I've seen that pedigree commercial. I wanted to adopt him so he wouldn't have to stay in that cage. He is just so cute!!!! I love that the did a follow up on him with his forever home! Of course I cry for that one too!
I always cry watching the Visa Olympics commercials too!

There are these commercials that I've seen about the need of foster families for sibling groups. It kills me! I hear the music for it and start crying. I tried to find it online but I think it is a local group.

PCwombat
07-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't really cry over commercials, but my mom does. The ASPCA one just kills her every time. And, this is more a happy cry, but there was this series of Mastercard (I think) commercials about this dog that gets lost. And each commercial shows his continuing journey to get home. I remember when the last one aired and he finally made it home, and my mom cried.

tokmom
07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
What kind of knee pain is he getting? He might not be stretching correctly beforehand. I had the advantage of being a martial artist so i was extremely flexible. Men tend to tighten up much faster if they don't stretch correctly.

If it's tightness/tweeking kind of pain. I think he needs to stretch more. and then do strengthing exercises for his knees. Yoga has exercises that will stretch and stengthen his knees and hamstrings. Tae Kwon Do has leg exercises has well that will benefit his running.

Just general knee pain. That's what he says. Anyway, I will tell him to try more Yoga. He's hit and miss about that now, and to try more warm ups in the future. He has such potential, and I hate to see him throw it away.
That's why that Visa commercial makes me cry. That poor guy trained all those years and then to have that muscle pull? I felt so sorry for him!!!

Nan101
07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Many commercials have choked me up, but only one has made me absolutely cry like a baby. Hope this link works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_t2t2WavKE

figaro
07-29-2008, 02:12 PM
I can't think of any tearjerker commercials for me right now but how about a older video that I just love. It is one of Will Smith's videos, its a song from him to his oldest son when he was still a little boy. I just love it and it makes me tear up all the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjheiI0BFqg

Puddinpop
07-29-2008, 10:24 PM
The Budweiser 911 tribute, I have not seen. That is so touching. The ones that bother me are the ones about the organ donations. They talk about their children so calmly. I don't see how they do that without being very emotional. It kinda bothers me.

Puddinpop
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I love the advise Will gives to his son.