PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're A Knitter When...

Knitting_Guy
07-26-2008, 10:48 PM
You're eating Chinese food and start thinking about what you could knit with the chopsticks.

I am holed up in a motel for the weekend. I wandered down the block to a local tavern to enjoy a few adult beverages. Naturally I took my knitting pack with me.

It really was kind of funny how the conversation in the whole bar wound up being about knitting and crochet. It stayed that way for an hour and eventually, as people came and went, died down but it kept coming up over and over the whole time I was there.

One younger guy who came in later said "I don't mean any offense, but this is the first time I've ever seen a big guy sitting in a bar knitting a sweater". I just laughed at him and asked him how many little guys he'd seen knitting in a bar.

I had a good time there and I think I kind of changed a couple of people's thinking about knitting and knitters. Well, at least as far as making them realize that knitters might not be who or what they may have thought before.

Walking back to the motel I picked up some Chinese food. I swear I could knit a pretty nice hat with these chopsticks.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VNl8MMAr0lM

suzeeq
07-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Walking back to the motel I picked up some Chinese food. I swear I could knit a pretty nice hat with these chopsticks.

You could, they're generally about a size 8 or 9....

lynn893
07-26-2008, 11:07 PM
You're eating Chinese food and start thinking about what you could knit with the chopsticks.

:aww: when I first started my egeblad, it kept slipping off my metal dpns, so I grabbed 2 sets of chopsticks from the silverware drawer and got the sand paper out, and made my own set of wooden bamboo dpns.... :aww: they worked great for the first 15 rows of my egeblad! and now, I've given them to my mom for her 'spiralen' doily....:aww: Talk about useful chopsticks! :yay:

And, I'm very happy to hear that you are able to go out into the world (a bar especially) and do your thing! :yay: Myself, I'd end up messing up my work and having to frog the entire thing as I spoke to others about the joys of knitting... :frog: :waah: :frog: of course I love doing this.... :frog: :waah: :frog: can't you tell... :frog: :waah: :frog:

Knitting_Guy
07-26-2008, 11:23 PM

LOL that's good. I have a pair of chopsticks exactly like those!

Knitting_Guy
07-26-2008, 11:24 PM
And, I'm very happy to hear that you are able to go out into the world (a bar especially) and do your thing! :yay: Myself, I'd end up messing up my work and having to frog the entire thing as I spoke to others about the joys of knitting... :frog: :waah: :frog: of course I love doing this.... :frog: :waah: :frog: can't you tell... :frog: :waah: :frog:

Everything I knit is knit in truck stops and bars all over the country. :)

Debbie
07-27-2008, 06:54 AM
I thought you were going to say .... what you could knit out of the noodles :)

sylvia
07-27-2008, 09:07 AM
i knit with chopsticks mostly scarfs for kids
cant eat with thme though
sylvia

Andres
07-27-2008, 02:50 PM
You Know You're A Knitter When you're eating Chinese food and start thinking about what you could knit with the chopsticks.

The other day i was trying to knit using toothpicks and a rubber band :rofl:.

Mike
07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
The other day i was trying to knit using toothpicks and a rubber band :rofl:.

You just gave me an idea. I tried crocheting with Kevlar fishing line and I didn't have the patience for the doily hooks. I bet I could knit with it. (I want a little backstop for my archery target.)

tokmom
07-27-2008, 09:19 PM
:teehee: Funny about the chopsticks. They'd probably work in a pinch.

Puddinpop
07-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Way to go Mason. Change people's mind. They don't know what they are missing.

iwouldratherbeknitting
07-28-2008, 12:35 AM
A few months ago, I posted a photo of the chopstick knitting needles that my MS students made when I taught them how to knit. They worked fine- but, we did have a couple that SPLIT when they were used.

auburnchick
07-28-2008, 10:26 AM

Ok...someone had WAY too much time on their hands to make that video.

:chair:

Sunshine's Mom
07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
You know your a knitter when....

You go out to dinner with your husband and spot a lady with her hair up and say, "She's a knitter. She's holding her hair up with a double-pointed knitting needle."

No lie. I said that this weekend. :thumbsup:

Tropicflower24
07-28-2008, 11:15 AM
what you could knit out of the noodles

Well... um..... :blush: I was doing that last night while waiting for the "almost done" knit.... er, speghetti to finish cooking. :blush:
I also have knit with chopsticks...... I can also eat with them, which freaks my family out as I've never known anyone that actaully uses them. And I know how to use them right. I grabbed a couple packs a while back and my unc was like, "Flower! Put those back! Those are for people actaully going to eat with them." LOL, well, I am. And then to his astonishment, I procedded to eat everything (including rice) with out a "civilized" silver ware. :D And then I took them home and knitted with them. :)

cristina61
07-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Great minds think alike! I hadn't even seen this thread until this morning, and yesterday I decided to pull out my chopsticks to use at lunch . . . and just on a whim I stuck them in my needle gauge to see what size they are!

(They're a US Size 10-1/2.) :teehee:

cristina61
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM

WOW . . . I'm really glad I have a big yarn stash!

Mulderknitter
07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
i actually learned to knit on chopsticks. Worked just fine for a beginner.

Mike
07-28-2008, 04:45 PM
i actually learned to knit on chopsticks. Worked just fine for a beginner.

I used arrows to decide if I wanted to go out and buy some needles.

KnittinMitchie
07-28-2008, 06:31 PM

And I thought I was bored all the time. She's got too much free time to figure that out and post a video

Tropicflower24
07-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm not allowed to use Youtube..... (too much nasty stuff) What's goin' on? I'm like, sooooo out of the loop. :)

PaulaM01
07-28-2008, 06:57 PM
and i have spagetti today. And I so left over. But the spagetti has sauce on it.

knitgal
07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
A woman is knitting with a ramen noodle (those squiggly noodles from Mr.Noodles packages) and chopstitcks. It's very cute!

P.S. YouTube isn't full of nasty stuff- in fact I think they have rules against nasty stuff! Anyways, good for you for sticking with the rules.

Tropicflower24
07-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh okay! Thanks!

KnittinMitchie
07-31-2008, 11:19 PM
we use you tube to put up videos of the kiddo. My one cousin does the same thing. We just set them to private so not everyone can see them.

Doodknitwit
08-01-2008, 01:27 AM
wow you are so entertaining.. :roflhard:

:heart: how's the health?