PDA

View Full Version : YOU'RE Doing That?

Knitting_Guy
07-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Last night I was sitting in a local tavern here in WI and working on the second sleeve of the sapphire blue raglan sweater.

One women at the bar asked about it and I held it up to show her. She asked several times, You're doing that?

I thought it was hilarious, as did several of the other people sitting there. I finally kind of looked around on either side of me and indicated that I didn't see anyone else sitting here so I guess I must be doing it.

While it was a very funny moment I was also a bit flattered as she obviously thought it looked too good for a big tattooed trucker to have made. :rofl:

Another woman came over to check it out, claiming that she was also a knitter. I had my doubts about that as she looked at the stockinette material and called it "cable stitch". No real knitter would confuse those two, but I was polite and just said "stockinette". I didn't want to embarrass her in front of the whole place and let it go.

cdjack
07-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I was out at a local bar with my dh and father-in-law last Thursday.
They started talking about gas rigs (their business), so I got out my knitting. A woman came up to me and said, "Aren't you a little young for that, honey?" I thought she meant that I was too young to be drinking a beer. How flattering, I thought to myself... Then I realized that she thought that I was too young to be knitting. :roflhard:

Jan in CA
07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
:teehee: Well, you don't fit the stereotype that is still pervasive as cdjack was made aware of, too. I think that is awesome! I want to tell these people "You need to get out more!" :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
07-27-2008, 11:55 AM
"Aren't you a little young for that, honey?"

Wow, think she could have been any more condescending?

Knitting_Guy
07-27-2008, 11:55 AM
:teehee: Well, you don't fit the stereotype that is still pervasive as cdjack was made aware of, too. I think that is awesome! I want to tell these people "You need to get out more!" :roflhard:

Yep. People do seem to love their stereotypes, don't they?

Crycket
07-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Another woman came over to check it out, claiming that she was also a knitter. I had my doubts about that as she looked at the stockinette material and called it "cable stitch". No real knitter would confuse those two, but I was polite and just said "stockinette". I didn't want to embarrass her in front of the whole place and let it go.

My DF (after I read the post) said "it is obvious that she found a big knitting trucking dude and thought 'I have to hit on that'"

That is what you get from computer geek guy :cool:

Knitting_Guy
07-27-2008, 12:56 PM
My DF (after I read the post) said "it is obvious that she found a big knitting trucking dude and thought 'I have to hit on that'"

That is what you get from computer geek guy :cool:

:roflhard:

Mulderknitter
07-27-2008, 01:41 PM
:roflhard: Maybe the lady was just a new knitter trying to show off.

Mike
07-27-2008, 01:44 PM
You need to knit some baby cloths and very seriously answer the questioners with, "I think I'm pregnant and I'm nesting."

Knitting_Guy
07-27-2008, 01:56 PM
You need to knit some baby cloths and very seriously answer the questioners with, "I think I'm pregnant and I'm nesting."

suzeeq
07-27-2008, 01:57 PM

:chair: Yeah! that'd show 'em....

Jan in CA
07-27-2008, 01:59 PM

OMG :roflhard: You gotta do that and let us know what happens! We live for your stories. :teehee:

Nobones
07-27-2008, 02:30 PM

:chair:

I dare you Masion!!

GinnyG
07-27-2008, 04:46 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

cdjack
07-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Wow, think she could have been any more condescending?

Yeah, I guess it sounds that way, but I didn't take it that way.
The woman who said it was in her 70's. I think she was honestly surprised to see someone in their 30's knitting, especially knitting in public.

MrsVaelek
07-27-2008, 11:08 PM
How funny. I was actually at a campsite in Black River Falls WI last night teaching my 13yo BIL how to knit, and I mentioned you when he hesitated because of the stereotype. He loved it, though, and asked to knit on the way home. Sad that he made us promise not to tell.

tokmom
07-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Dimpledapple
07-28-2008, 03:09 AM

I think you should definitely try it, Knitting_Guy! And then tell us all about it :teehee:

Denise in Michigan
07-28-2008, 01:33 PM
The above quote made me think of the Monty Python skit about the sheep in trees, and the guy saying "It's my considered opinion that they're nesting"!

bambi
07-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Mason, that's too funny! I love everyone's comments. You made my day! Before I got on this site, I, too might have been blown away by a kntting, tattooed trucker but not anymore.

Bambi

lynn893
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
How funny. I was actually at a campsite in Black River Falls WI last night teaching my 13yo BIL how to knit, and I mentioned you when he hesitated because of the stereotype. He loved it, though, and asked to knit on the way home. Sad that he made us promise not to tell.

:aww: I know how you feel..... a couple months ago, I was at walmart looking for yarn, and had both my younger kids with me (boy 11, girl 9). They both picked out a ball of yarn of their choice, and I bought a set of 'beginner' needles (huge fat things).

My daughter has since tried it quite a few times, but my son has not. I'm thinking of showing him mason's posts (and his knitting blog), as well as some of the other 'gentleman' knitters on here.....

Maybe that will help him get over whatever nonsense he has in his head regarding "knitting is for women only"....

MAmaDawn
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM

I dare you too! :roflhard:

aprildavis99
07-30-2008, 05:51 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: You need to knit some baby cloths and very seriously answer the questioners with, "I think I'm pregnant and I'm nesting."
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: It would make my millenium to see the faces of people you told that to. :star: :star:

Knitting_Guy
07-30-2008, 09:54 PM

Cool. It'll be our secret :rofl:

Arielluria
08-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Mason I wish I could be a fly on the wall at most of these bars and truck stops in which you knit. I applaud you for doing it and I'd love to see the looks on these peoples' faces when they see a big tattooed guy knitting.......for sure none of them would dare mess with you........or they might think you're looking for a fight and you're baiting them. In which case, I'd still love to be the fly on the wall to see the outcome of that!!!!!!! LOL! My money's on you! :teehee:

The.Knitter
08-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I dare ya too, Mason. I can even send you a pretty baby dress pattern if you send me your e-mail address. That would be so funny! I think you would probably even win "America's Funniest Home Videos" with that trick!!!

Tropicflower24
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I won't come out and *say* it, but I *think* that would be :roflhard: