PDA

View Full Version : Will I Ever Be an "Advanced Knitter?"

dana5577
07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Dear "Advanced Knitters,"

At what point in your knitting career did you consider yourself an "advanced knitter?" I'm wondering if I will ever get there!

dana5577:knitting:

suzeeq
07-28-2008, 10:53 AM
All it takes is practice, learning more techniques, practice, trying new patterns, practice and time. Don't push yourself, you'll get there.

Crycket
07-28-2008, 11:14 AM
There is always the will to move on. Some ppl are content with the basics, some love the challenge of learning something new!

rachael72knitter
07-28-2008, 11:34 AM
You'll find yourself ready to try new things that seemed so daunting at first; like knitting on circs, and making cables, and using DPNs. Once you do those things, you start to realize, "that wasn't too hard, I can do this!"

Still am afraid of intarsia and Fair Isle patterns. . .but with more practice and different patterns, you learn more and more things.

Ronda
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I've been knitting about 3 years, and I still consider myself a newbie. Part of that, I know, is the fact that sometimes I go a couple months without knitting at all. I've been trying new things. I've done lace and socks, and I've used DPN and I've learned magic loop and using 2 circs for circular knitting, so I'm starting to feel more advanced. Knowing how to fix mistakes has boosted my confidence. My problem is that I know NO ONE who knits IRL, and I always feel weird going to the LYS for questions unless I've bought the yarn/supplies directly from that LYS. (Even then, I still feel weird about it.) I learn so much easier by watching someone...sometimes written instructions are confusing to me. I'm pushing myself though. I just did Silver's sock tutorial (1 toe-up sock on 2 circs), and even though there was one point where I had to frog back and restart and another point where I was scared to death of that dumb sock and let it sit for about a week, I finally just sat down with it and finished it! I think it just takes a lot of practice and a willingness to branch out and try new things.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
i've been knitting for about a year... started considering myself an advanced knitter when patterns, regardless of the difficulty rating weren't intimidating and my stitches kept coming out nice and uniform :)

heatherg23
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi,

I definetly won't be one anytime soon. I might be able to do 1 or 2"advanced" techniques but i'm still definetly a beginner. It took me 2 months of practice to do cable designs. To me an advanced knitter can knit anything & everything. I will probably never be advanced cause the only way I can learn is from here and what is sold on DVD's. There arn't to many dvd's to learn from so i'm limited.

Just practice practice practice. You'll get there.:X:

Jan in CA
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Almost three yrs for me, but I don't know when you consider yourself advanced. Maybe when you don't look at a pattern and put it back because it looks too hard? Or when you are willing to buy expensive yarn to do an untested pattern? I'm sure everyone has their own criteria. I'm just enjoying the journey. ;)

Denise in Michigan
07-28-2008, 01:22 PM
I agree with Rachael: it's when you stop saying "I could never knit that!" and start saying "I could knit that, or at least try to knit that!".

KnittinMitchie
07-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I have mastered Intrasia, which is SO easy to do. I'm finishing up a class this week that does a felted intrasia bag using slip stitches. I've aslos done a pair of entrelac socks and a cabled scarf. Fair isle still kinda scares me a littel bit but one day i will get it.

Crycket
07-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I think most things are easy to do, once you try them. Looking at a pattern can be really daunting. A bunch of abreivations you have never seen before...and strange needles you have never used before...it can feel overwhelming....but then you try it once or twice...and you realize that most everything you do in knitting boils down to the four main stitches, Knit, Purl, Increase, Decrease.

Most all other stitches or patterns are variations on these main stitches!

suzeeq
07-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Even increase/decrease are just knit and purl.

saracidaltendencies
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
After almost 3 years of knitting, I finally consider myself an advanced knitter, however, I haven't done anything I really consider advanced. I'm at the point now where patterns don't really intimidate me, unless it's something that just looks like it would be impossible...lol...Even then, I know I could do it if I really tried but I don't try because I don't want to mess with it...lol...I think a lot of it has to do with confidence. If you know the basics and feel confident in your abilities, and, you look at a pattern that you would have RUN from in the past and think, "hey, I could do that!" then I think you're advanced. If you know the basics of knitting, I believe no pattern can stop you. You've already accomplished the hardest part, learning the basics, everything else is just a variation of them.

cam90066
07-28-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't consider myself advanced but have been knitting for over 40 yrs and feel I'm willing to at least try almost anything. As already noted, practice, practice, practice. As long as you enjoy what you're doing, are willing to challenge yourself and yet to be able to have patience when things go awry....not sure it's matters putting a label to the level of expertise on what you can/can't do.

cam

Crycket
07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Even increase/decrease are just knit and purl.

That would be true!

rachael72knitter
07-29-2008, 01:20 AM
For me, the hardest part was learning how to read a pattern.

laikabear
07-29-2008, 02:29 AM
I think I'm going to consider myself advanced when I can knit without looking. So far, even with stockinette, it's a no go. I saw a video of Stephanie Pearl McPhee on You Tube and she was giving an interview while knitting a sock. The sock was flying! And she wasn't looking at it one bit. That was impressive. :mrgreen:

mwhite
07-29-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't consider myself advanced but have been knitting for over 40 yrs and feel I'm willing to at least try almost anything. As already noted, practice, practice, practice. As long as you enjoy what you're doing, are willing to challenge yourself and yet to be able to have patience when things go awry....not sure it's matters putting a label to the level of expertise on what you can/can't do.

cam

I soooo agree with this! Haven't been knitting nearly this long but thoroughly enjoy the whole learning process of knitting...not sure I'll ever classify myself as an expert and don't really place importance on the level or label. I think maybe you can be an expert at particular styles or methods but not overall....just too may areas and omigosh, today I love doing one thing....next week I could change and jump to another!

Tropicflower24
07-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I really don't know what I'd consider advanced..... I think the beauty in knitting is there isn't classes of ""begginer" and over here we have "Intermediate" and last and most importantly we have The "Advanced" class." I don't want to lable myself something as I feel it draws me away from the people who aren't in the same "class". I beleive knitting is a joy becuase there are no 'set rules, classes and regulations'. Knitting is freeform..... You may be following a pattern, but you are following it *your* way. The big thing to remember, is that no knitter is ever going to be just like *you* so there is really no way to place us knitters into classes.

Sorry if this seems disjointed...... I'm talking with my heart right now and by the time it makes it to my brain it's a little scrambled. ;)

RuthieinMaryland
07-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey, Dana! :waving:

I've been knitting about a year now, and I've tackled whatever grabbed my imagination, regardless of the pattern's complexity. That might not be the way to go for everyone, but by working out the patterns - running back and forth from KH to the needles and from books to the needles - and persisting I actually got finished products that still looked great, mistakes and all.

A baby afgan for my godson HAD to be made with this yummy yarn I found and the pattern I used was THE one! I admit I was nearly bald-headed from pulling my hair out over it, but I finished it and the new parents were thrilled to have something hand-made especially for them.

Finishing that pattern gave me the confidence to tackle the NEXT amazing feat, a really gorgeous afgan pattern that has all the bells and whistles - lattice, cables, puffs, etc. It too, was a challenge, but I've made that pattern twice now and am working on the third go-round since they're for the family and everyone loves that pattern!

The one thing that came out of tackling the pieces that really spoke to me, and overcoming the confusions, is that I LEARNED.

I was so proud of that complex afghan that I am absolutely sure I could knit a Volvo now if I wanted to!

And the certainty for me came from loving the pattern and yarn and just deciding to "get 'er done"! So find something you REALLY love and just go for it. I can practically guarantee you'll feel like an expert before you're done!

Best of luck -

Ruthie :muah:

lynn893
07-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I went and bought a book with all different stitches in it. (I've since lost it and can't remember what it was called - but it was like a dictionary of knitting.... discussed different yarns, doing gauge, and then stitches from very basic up to very advanced designs and cables.

I went through it and made a 'swatch' of each stitch that interested me. I ended up having enough for a blanket, that I put together and gifted my baby sister with one christmas.

I think the only way to become 'advanced' is to try new techniques.

So, as NIKE says, just do it!

:grphug:

MerigoldinWA
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I've been knitting for over 40 years too, and a lot for the last 20 years and I am constantly amazed at how much more there is to learn. I remember asking my good friend and knitting guru years ago, "So, how long did it take you to learn everything about knitting?" (Asked because I thought she knew everything.) She just laughed and said, "I don't know everything about knitting." That burst my bubble right there. If Verla didn't know everything about knitting, I certainly never would.

As Mary said there are so many areas of knitting. It is almost like being a doctor, you might know everything about one area of knitting (like socks), but no one knows everything about everything. There is just too much to know and that is one of the fascinating things about knitting. It never gets boring because there is always something to learn.

I know a lot, but not as much as I'd like to. The process of knitting itself is simple and a 5 year old can do it, it is what you do with that that makes it difficult. I find some of the hardest things are the finishing techniques that make your knitting really shine. And it seems to me that patterns now are more complicated than they used to be. I know there have always been complicated things out there, but in this information age I think more people know more than ever before. You used to have to learn from another person or your own experience. Then you could learn from books plus other people and your own experience. Then films were added and now we have the vast worldwide web plus all the others. Designers are using more kinds of techniques all on one project than ever before. I think this is true anyhow. It may not be.

As far as labels go, projects have long been rated beginner, intermediate and experienced. Most of the projects I have done in my life are not rated over intermediate. I've done a few things that say "experienced", but I see a lot of patterns in Interweave Knits and Vogue that would scare me. I might try them and maybe I could even do them but they look pretty challenging to me. It's not the knitting itself (knit, purl-I can do that), but they have a lot going on and odd constructions and getting it all to come together still looks like a challenge. (And then there are the pattern errors to work yourself around. lol) But that is what makes it so fun. Onward and upward!

LovelyLinda
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
I went through it and made a 'swatch' of each stitch that interested me. I ended up having enough for a blanket, that I put together and gifted my baby sister with one christmas.

That's a great idea.:notworthy: I love that. It exposes you to different techniques and it is a portable project when you're on the go. I may try that sometime.

Lisa R.
07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
I think, for me, it was when I realized I could basically learn anything I wanted to in knitting. I don't *really* consider myself advanced, but I realized at a certain point that, instead of saying, "Oh, I don't think I'll *ever* be able to do *that*" I found myself saying, "Oh, how do you do that?" And I learned.

So...there are things that still intimidate me. I've not even done a sweater yet, so I'm probably still in the intermediate knitting world, if you want to divide up like that. But I *could* knit one if I put my mind to it.

I think that attitude is the key more than anything...realizing it's just a matter of practicing and learning, and that you can do what you want to do.

Knitting_Guy
07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Labels labels labels.

Don't get hung up on labels like "beginner" or "advanced". Just knit what you want to knit and try new stuff when you feel the urge.

I've only been knitting a tad over a year and a half and am what would be considered a "beginner", but I don't like to be labeled so I just consider myself a knitter.

I like to experiment and try out different things. It's fun. Sometimes (usually) I screw it up, other times I get it right. Either way I learned something and enjoyed myself doing it.

Perhaps we become an "advanced" knitter when we heed Yoda's advice: "Do, or do not. There is no try".

suzeeq
07-30-2008, 10:57 PM
The first real thing that I knit was a stuffed rabbit for a neice. With shaping and everything. Then I made a sweater for myself with a cable up the front. I still haven't made a dishcloth and never made a scarf until 3 years ago (I learned to knit 40+ years ago). So it's not how long you've been knitting or what you've been knitting, just that you knit what you want and figure out how to do things you don't know.

Crycket
07-31-2008, 12:27 AM
The first real thing that I knit was a stuffed rabbit for a neice. With shaping and everything. Then I made a sweater for myself with a cable up the front. I still haven't made a dishcloth and never made a scarf until 3 years ago (I learned to knit 40+ years ago). So it's not how long you've been knitting or what you've been knitting, just that you knit what you want and figure out how to do things you don't know.

Yeah...I have never done a dishcloth either....I think it is all about trying new things!