PDA

View Full Version : Do You Find You're Spending WAY Too Much Time on Ravelry? ;o)

Arielluria
07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I love Ravelry, I might go so far as to say I am addicted. I am also addicted to KH but that's another post :teehee:. Am I the only one who needs a Ravelry/KH intervention? I think I spend more time on these than knitting itself. I guess it's my "fantasy knitting life" to quote the gals on Stash 'n Burn. :roflhard:

Cynamar
07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
I can totally relate! Both places are soooo addictive! I'm as hooked on them as actually knitting!

jdee
07-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm one of the rare few who are not on Ravelry, but I'm thinking of joining. The reason I hesitate is because I'm not sure if I'll use it. I just don't know much about it, but it's free, so I guess there's nothing to lose, is there.

Debkcs
07-30-2008, 07:51 PM
I spend way too much time here, because I learn so much and like 99.9999% of the people. Even though I'm a 'member' of Ravelry, I only go there to check on yarns and patterns. Much rather socialize here. :grphug: :heart:

Puddinpop
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm with you, Debkcs. I use this much more than Ravelry although, I like them both.

cdjack
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm with Deb. I only go to Ravelry to check yarn and patterns. I love the "family" atmosphere around here much better.

vaknitter
07-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I most certainly spend too much time on KH, but I am still overwhelmed by Ravelry. I have used it to search for patterns for a specific yarn and I have looked at a few of the posts, but I am just overwhelmed by it in general.

kristaj
07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm the same way. Ravelry overwhelmes me so I only use it to check patterns and yarn, but I am completely addicted to KH. I feel like I am being completely deprived if I miss one of my three times a day I get on here, much less if I miss a whole day. I don't know what I'm going to do while we are on vacation starting Friday. It's hard to find Wi-fi while camping. :cry:

mwhite
07-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Nope, :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: I don't feel like I'm spending too much time on Ravelry or KH but I am spending WAY too much time cleaning house, washing clothes and working...:tap: :teehee: :teehee: My husband sat down in my knitting spot last night to watch a movie and I found myself actually fidgeting and withdrawing because I couldn't knit comfortably.:pout:

vaknitter
07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
mwhite - I find that offering food (or a cold beer) is usually enough motivation to move the hubby from the knitting spot. Simply prepare something that is a treat for him and let him taste a little, then much like enticing a puppy into the crate for the first time slowly move it away from him and place it where you want him to sit. ;)

jdee
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Ok, I put myself on the waiting list. I couldn't resist this time.

auntcrafty
07-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Both Ravelry & KH are my favorite places, although I'm not as intimidated here as on Ravelry.

Jan in CA
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Umm... yeah, KH and Rav cut WAY into my knitting time! :shifty:

:teehee:

mwhite
07-31-2008, 12:13 AM
mwhite - I find that offering food (or a cold beer) is usually enough motivation to move the hubby from the knitting spot. Simply prepare something that is a treat for him and let him taste a little, then much like enticing a puppy into the crate for the first time slowly move it away from him and place it where you want him to sit. ;)

:roflhard: :teehee: Great advice, I'll try this! LOLOL!

susi
07-31-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm with Deb. I only go to Ravelry to check yarn and patterns. I love the "family" atmosphere around here much better.

i'm the same. i go on teher a bit but always on here as its a family type atmosphere and no one says a thing for asking silly questions. i played about with another forum a while ago and hated it, it was just so clicky and a bit bitchy. not doing taht one again, everyone here is far to great :teehee:

Debbie
07-31-2008, 05:41 AM
I use Ravelry to look up patterns and yarn and to see what others have made.... I guess you could say I don't read the book, just look at the pictures :)

I am a KH matriarch and the only thing that has changed since the "old days" is that Amy and Sheldon have made it better and better. We have amazing knitters and knitting teachers and wise and kind advisers in "off topic" discussions. And our mods ... what can I say... they are wonderful leaders who keep our site "bright and shiny".

I am also very humbled by the "community leaders" with their knitting expertise, KAL leadership, Charity Knitting and KH family "care" projects.

I love to visit Ravelry and other knitting sites, but KH is home :)

WandaT
07-31-2008, 06:24 AM
I use Ravelry to look up patterns and yarn and to see what others have made.... I guess you could say I don't read the book, just look at the pictures :)

I love to visit Ravelry and other knitting sites, but KH is home :)

That's me. I love going to Ravelry to check out what all the different patterns look like with different yarns. And it's the first place I go when looking for patterns. BUT, KH is home. I've never even posted anything on Ravelry.

Spikey
07-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Yup...spend way too much time on both, as well as keeping the Northeast blogs up to date...

They are huge chronovores!

NikitaShera
07-31-2008, 08:44 AM
I definitely agree with you sushi. KH is soo friendly and you don't have to wait forever for the page to load. Yippee!!

The best part is we have the best moderators who are very friendly to new knitters!! Mods you're the best!!!

Plus we have very generous people like Jdee and heatherg23 here who donated their yarns to me. Thank you ladies for your help. You made a difference in my life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

stitchwitch
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
I joined Ravelry in Nov of 07 and just this month have actually started to use it. When I first got on it was overwhelming and I just couldn't get into it. I decided to look at it again for pattern inspiration and it was almost like a lightbulb went off, I love it now and spend way too much time there looking through stuff and learning how to use the site and it's advantages.
I spend too much time here though too. I only belong to two groups on Ravelry, the KH one and Tampa Bay Fiber. I like the forums here alot better.

Arielluria
07-31-2008, 09:46 AM
I spend way too much time here, because I learn so much and like 99.9999% of the people. Even though I'm a 'member' of Ravelry, I only go there to check on yarns and patterns. Much rather socialize here. :grphug: :heart: I'm starting to feel much the same way! I have cut way down on my socializing and prefer KH!

Arielluria
07-31-2008, 09:49 AM
A few months ago I actually made myself go on a computer and Ravelry fast for 2 whole weeks! It was AWESOME! I can't tell you how much reading and knitting and time spent with my doggies I got to enjoy!

tokmom
07-31-2008, 09:57 AM
I still find it confusing, but I do like to look at all the FO's

knitpurlgurl
07-31-2008, 10:17 AM
:zombie: no, why do you ask?? (hee-hee)

Jan in CA
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
I should point out that 90% (?) of my time is here in KH. You can't beat the warm and cozy feel over here. The time I spend on Rav is in looking at patterns and yarns. :teehee:

Tropicflower24
07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Is there like a guest function on Rav? I'd love to see what it's all about, but I'd like to just see it first. Ya know, see if it's something I would actaully use, or if it would just be taking up more time. (No flames please!!) :)

stitchwitch
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
You'd use it, even if just a little. It really is a vast sea of information. Why not sign up and if you don't like it (I'm sure you will) you don't have to visit at all or just use it to view what suits you. No harm, no foul.
I agree on the guest function though but then again that would take the fun out of the wait for an invite, the mystery would be gone.

Wanda Witch
07-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Like most, I spend a lot more time here on KH than on Ravelry. The latter is great for checking out patterns and yarns, but this is, as Jan put it, the feeling here is so warm and cozy and a lot more personal. Just glad I stumbled onto KH when I began knitting again. Thanks to one and all. :clink:

Puddinpop
07-31-2008, 01:18 PM
See, I didn't know that they have a KH group there. I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

Arielluria
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
I should point out that 90% (?) of my time is here in KH. You can't beat the warm and cozy feel over here. The time I spend on Rav is in looking at patterns and yarns. :teehee:

I'm pleasantly surprised that so many people feel this way, I thought it was just me! I do love KH!
:muah:

stitchwitch
07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
See, I didn't know that they have a KH group there. I'll have to look it up. Thanks.
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/knitting-help

mks22300
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
I mainly use Ravelry for looking at patterns and yarn. It's much easier to find my way around here. :)

Jan in CA
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Is there like a guest function on Rav? I'd love to see what it's all about, but I'd like to just see it first. Ya know, see if it's something I would actaully use, or if it would just be taking up more time. (No flames please!!) :)

:?? Why would you get flamed over this? Anyway, to answer your question...No, there is no guest function. You sign up, they invite you and you either use it or don't. Simple. ;)

Arielluria
08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I agree. I think eventually most of us will use Ravelry more as a pattern lookup tool. For example, I have some skeins of turquoise burning a hole in my stash and I'm DYING to make something with it, so I looked up cardigans and narrowed my search down to an a-line, etc. and with all the pics I even saw some in turquoise which quickly gave me an idea of whether I'd like something that large on me in turquoise, etc.

RE flaming.........I've never seen anyone get flamed on KH, that's what I love about it, people just tend to stay friendly and stick to knitting. On those OT topics - since we all come from different places, religions, political persuasions, etc. people here just seem to refrain from posting so as to keep it friendly.......and it's the knitting that binds us together, that's what I love that about KH!

:muah::muah::muah:

It's Friday :woot: everyone have a very blessed weekend........hopefully filled with knitting pleasures! ;)

rachael72knitter
08-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I use it way more now since I discovered they have all those wonderful groups; Reading Knitters, Cruising Knitters, Teachers that Knit, Quick Gifts, Bayou City Knitters. . . OMG it just goes on and on!
As if knitting alone didn't bring us together!:heart:

mwhite
08-01-2008, 11:42 AM
To me, Ravelry is like a huge knitting library... KH is the library, in a comfortable coffeeshop with lots of friends!

susi
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/knitting-help
i didnt know either, i'll have a look now. yey another place to come on more often :cheering:

jheatherley
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Once in a while, I check through the patterns on Ravelry. Other than that, it holds no attraction for me.

ArtLady1981
08-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Ravelry is such a useful TOOL! It's fantastic. Useful!
So the time spent is productive, and totally justifiable.

For example...here is a USEFUL tool I discovered just yesterday:

In MY STASH page...I opened the Naturwolle Black Forest yarn page...I was adjusting the total amount of skeins and grams left over after my VOGUE CAPE was finished.

I had weighed each skein (and each remnant ball) for each color, and entered the grams left over for each color. I have enough leftovers to make something else like a skirt or hat or bag. So the yarn was worthy of tallying.

GUESS WHAT the Ravelry software AUTOMATICALLY did for me?
It told me how many YARDS that my grams amounted to!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!? Before this, I could only guess, and spend a half hour noodling over figures with my little pocket calculator!

Anyways, RAVELRY is just great in my book! There are dozens of other features, once you tinker around with clicking this and that.

It has a useful "community" aspect, too. It's nice to locate folks who've knit a project...read their notes, and contact them with a question about the knit before commencing the project myself.

Anyways, for those of you who haven't joined...I highly recommend it!
Your knitting will never be the same.

That's my 2 cents for today! :thumbsup:

Arielluria
08-04-2008, 09:49 AM
One thing I've noticed too, is it seems suddenly many patterns on Ravelry are for a cost. I just saw one for $22!!!!!!!!!!! For a simple little item of which there must be hundreds similiar for free online!!!!!!! Is it just me or does it seem that since Ravelry many patterns which previously were "shared" to other knitters are now for a fee??????

heatherg23
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I only use it for patterns. I don't use the groups/forums..they not organized very well. I only use this site for that function. I love their "notebook" section to keep track of everything i knit.

jdee
08-05-2008, 02:34 PM
I recenly got my invitation, and I've been spending Lots of time setting up my notebook. It seems I have quite a large stash. And DH is taking me to Plano, to the Woolie Ewe for my Birthday Saturday. Maybe I should be good, and say "not thanks?" Yeah, right!:)