PDA

View Full Version : I need an opinion on an Interchangeable Needle Set

spooky
08-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Hello All,
I have lately been wanting to buy the Boye The Needlemaster Set ( http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2868&PRODID=prd20751 ) , but am unsure if I should or not. I have read mixed reviews on it and really need more opinions.
Has anyone ever had a problem with their neeles due to weight ? (say you were knitting a baby blanket)

Do the cables break easily?
Does your yarn snag on the plastic cables?
What do you think about the set, overall?
Can you easily magic loop with this set? (this is my MAIN reason for wanting them!!!!)

My birthday is coming up and this MAY be something I would like to ask for. My other reason for wanting this kit is because I have a 40% off coupon from Michaels this week.. which will lower the price (retail is I think about $69).

Thanks a bunch for the imput!!

Still as cheap as she can be :aww:
Spooky

suzeeq
08-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Many people prefer Knitpick's options interchangeables for less than Joann's is selling the Boyes. The Boye cords are rather stiff and the metal joins are long making the tips longer. KPs cords are soft and very flexible so Magic loop is much easier. One drawback to the KPs is that you can't join cords together to make really long needles like you can with Boyes. I don't think the Boyes are heavier than KPs

spooky
08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
I think I would still be saving money with the 40% off coupon.... Lets see... I think that would run me around $46.97 after the rebate and with our lovely 10% tax. (Boye set)

Now the knitpicks is $59.99. No shipping because the order is over $50.

A difference of $13.02.

With the Boye set you get 14 different needles (size 2-15) and Separate cables in lengths of 20'',24'',29'' & 36''.

Knitpicks you get 9 different sizese US Sizes: (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5 and 11) and
CABLES == 2 each of 24" and 32" lengths.

Is this $13.02 difference and 5 needle and 3 cable shortage that much better than the Boye set?

Just curious before I make this big of a commitment. :)

Plantgoddess+
08-01-2008, 11:12 PM
My local Michaels store carries Denise interchangeables. It has the options you are looking at for Boyes without as many of the negatives. Having used neither of those ( I have Options) I am only going on what I have read here in previous discussions on pros and cons. I don't remember anyone off hand who like Boyes.

jdee
08-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Have you read this thread? http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57276

In the third post from the top, Amy writes a great comparison of all the pros and cons of each interchangeable set.

spooky
08-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the link Jdee! That helps a bunch:yay: . I have only checked one Michaels in the area, but there is another one in the opposite direction. The Michaels I checked today only had the Boye set, but since this weekend is the tax-free weekend for school it is probably possible that I will be on the other side of town and will be able to see if the other Michaels has any other brands of interchangeable needle sets.

It sounds like the Boye set is way to stiff for what I want to do with it. Like I said, my main goal is magic loop. I also like the fact that the Denise Interchangeable set has a 17 inch cable. That is very appealing for hats ;) .

Keep posting your opinions :p . I hope I can make a decision soon:teehee: LOL!!!

Lisa R.
08-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I think I would still be saving money with the 40% off coupon.... Lets see... I think that would run me around $46.97 after the rebate and with our lovely 10% tax. (Boye set)

Now the knitpicks is $59.99. No shipping because the order is over $50.

A difference of $13.02.

With the Boye set you get 14 different needles (size 2-15) and Separate cables in lengths of 20'',24'',29'' & 36''.

Knitpicks you get 9 different sizese US Sizes: (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5 and 11) and
CABLES == 2 each of 24" and 32" lengths.

Is this $13.02 difference and 5 needle and 3 cable shortage that much better than the Boye set?

Just curious before I make this big of a commitment. :)

IMHO, there is a HUGE difference between the two, and for me, it is definitely worth the differences to get the KnitPicks.

I found the Boye set at a Tues.Morning store for $30 and bought them for my 10yod. She loves them, but on the occasions I've let her use my KP's she likes mine better. I'm borrowing her size 13 for a project, but I just cast on tonight. So far....I still like the KP's better.

I have only just barely tried Magic Loop, but I think the Boye cables are too stiff for them to be a good choice for that.

But then, everyone has different preferences. You might well be much happier with the Boyes, especially money comparison will bug you.

suzeeq
08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
The fixed needle Boyes work very well for Magic Loop, but because of the join on the interchangeables amd the stiff cord, they're much more difficult. It would be worth it for the aggravation factor alone to consider a different set if you're looking to do quite a bit of ML.

SBG
08-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I have a couple of Boye circs, and the Knit Picks set. I can't imagine doing magic loop on Boye. The cords are so stiff! I also love the tips (I have nickel-plated & harmony wood and they are both wonderful!) and they're way better than the Boye ones. Knit Picks sells a 47" cable, and I can't imagine needing anything longer than that. You get 2 in each pack. Mine have been 200% worth the money :)

Crycket
08-02-2008, 10:02 AM
I hate Boye products...

I have not bought the circular set...but that is because I don't like the way boye needles have the surface wear off where you knit...*blah*

I like my Denise set...although I imagine...it would not be very practical for magic loop

spooky
08-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Has anyone tried magicloop with Denise set? Are they happy with it?

GinnyG
08-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I cannot imagine using the Denise for magic loop, the cables are much too thick and sticky. I have both the Opitons and the Denise and recommend the Opitons hands down. I have not used my Denise for anything since getting my options. I keep them in case I go on a plane trip, the plastic needles would be easier to take on an airplane.

I looked at the Boye in HoAnn's and just didn't like the way they looked.

The thread on Interchangables referenced above should tell you all you ever wanted to know about interchangables!

jdee
08-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I've used Denise needles for Magic Loop, and I didn't have a problem with it. The cable is thick, but it's very flexable. I'll admit it's not as easy as the KP for Magic Loop, but it did fine.

spooky
08-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I guess I am now leaning more towards knitpicks then. How many times have I changed my mind lol!! Like I said, I'm about as cheap as the come, and I wanted to see what everyone thought about their sets. THanks a bunch for the help!!:hug:

knitasha
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM
The Options cables are wonderfully soft and flexible and the points are nice and sharp. But I have had problems with the points coming undone from the cables and others have mentioned the same problem. Really frustrating, especially if you're doing lace.

My Denise set gets a lot of use. I like the not-too-sharp points for splitty yarns and the resin (a form of plastic) feels firm and warm in my hands. Since I don't do Magic loop (love me my dpns), the thickness of the cables isn't an issue.

I've tried the Boyes and given them away. The tips were always coming unscrewed and the aluminum tips feel screechy to me, like biting down on a popsicle stick.

My perfect needle collection would include:
a Denise set for swatching, travel and slippery yarn;
Addi lace needles for thin yarn and (of course) lace;
KnitPicks fixed needles (not interchangeables) for small-gauge things like socks;
Addis for most everything except slippery rayon.
And the set of dirt-cheap wood dpns I found on eBay.

bambi
08-02-2008, 08:46 PM
I have the Boye set and the cords are way too stiff for magic loop. I have used them for other things. I have never had the cables come undone. The needles are funny. I can't get the yarn to slide smoothly over them. I have figured out that the main barrel is not tapered into the points enough--hard to explain--but the yarn catches there.

I just ordered KP options and the cords are wonderfully flexible. I haven't used them yet but I can't wait to try them out. I thought I'd keep the Boye in case I need the other sizes that the KPs don't come with or if I want to try 2 circs.

I would get the KPs, esp if you want to do ML.

Bambi

suzeeq
08-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I have figured out that the main barrel is not tapered into the points enough--hard to explain--but the yarn catches there.

Yes, the end of the tip and ends of the cord don't match in size so even with the cables screwed on very tight, there's sometimes a teeny gap there that catches the yarn.

jdee
08-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I just ordered KP options and the cords are wonderfully flexible. I haven't used them yet but I can't wait to try them out. I thought I'd keep the Boye in case I need the other sizes that the KPs don't come with or if I want to try 2 circs.
Bambi

This tells you how to do the 2 circ method with one interchangeable set. http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29072&highlight=interchangeable+needles

WandaT
08-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I started out with the Boye set from Michael's. Their cables aren't long enough for ML anyway, but I honestly didn't like them to begin with. I LOVE my Options and Harmonies!! Wish I had saved my $$ and started out with one of them and not bought the Boye's at all.

catcook
08-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I started trying to do ML with boyes and found the cable too stiff. I really like my knitpicks, but then I haven't made anything heavy, I was wondering how the kp cables stood up to something heavy like an afghan.

Pegasus97030
08-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I can relate to being "cheap"! Today I have to validate every penny I spend because they don't go as far as they used to. I did "splurge" on the KP Options set (with harmony wood). I LOVE THEM!!! I like the organizer that comes with it. I know it doesn't label the needles, however, I found a solution to that. All the needle tips come on a card with the size listed above them. I merely cut the card between the sizes and I placed the card in the organizer. It is now labeled and I know exactly what needles are what. The cables are awesome! Very flexible and light weight to begin with. I chose the harmony wood needles because they tend to be a bit warmer to the touch than the others. If you go with the Options set you won't be disappointed. I believe it is a valid investment that will last a very very long time!

jdee
08-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't have a problem with the case, either. I labled my needles with a sharpie. I wish I'd thought of inserting the card. And I don't have a problem with the length of the cables since I learned how to do Magic loop. If you knit a hat using ML, you don't have to switch to DPN's on the decrease rounds.

spooky
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks a million for everyone's info!! I am going to get the KP's set! :muah: I don't know when I'll have the money, but now I know what I want :teehee: HEHE!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!:hug:

Sunni
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Denise Interchageables!!! I work at an LYS that has all three, I have had the pleasure of using them all, the Needlemaster and Options both screw on and I found even in the small gauge swatches I made to showcase different yarns they came unscrewed frequently (even with the paper clip trick), Needlemaster more so than the Options. Then I used the Denise Set, I made two swatches then bought a set in pink. They are my staple now and I cannot imagine making anything without them. They have so many tip sizes and the cords are never stiff. Love love love them :muah:

The only draw back with the Denise set is that they don't come any smaller than a US 5 but that's what they make addi lace needles for :wink:

Hope this helps :)

jcurry28
08-17-2008, 11:49 PM
i bought the boye circular needle set and i absolutely love it. so much better than buying them separately. i love them.

Cynamar
08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't like Boye's cables. They are so stiff and twist badly when you knit in the round. Others may be more objective than I am but I am eventually going to get an Options set.

RuthieinMaryland
08-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi! I don't have the Boye set but haven't read anything great about them. I do have the nickel-plated Options set, though, and you couldn't buy them from me for 3 times what I paid for them! They're WONDERFUL!

Ruthie :o)

Cynamar
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM
I only have a few Options fixed circulars so far but they are AWESOME! I want everything in one needle--pointy tip, slick surface, and good flexible cable. Options has it all. I have some Addis but the pointy ones (lace) aren't slick and the slick ones aren't pointy. I do like them a LOT but will eventually have an Options or Harmony set.

Miss Kittie
08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I have The Needlemaster and don't use them.. I saved my money and got the Options from KnitPicks and love them.. Not only are the needles nicer, but the cables are, they are--( I can't put into words how much nicer they are)

Tropicflower24
08-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I have the needlemaster set, but the cables are a little dificult. Has anyone tried to put the KP cables into the Boye tips? I love these tips.

knitasha
08-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I have the needlemaster set, but the cables are a little dificult. Has anyone tried to put the KP cables into the Boye tips? I love these tips.

There is a thread about this somewhere -- maybe not on this board. It can be done, apparently, but the joins need to be re-jiggered, preferably by someone with machine shop tools and skills. It's such a good idea that it might be worth buying a couple of KP cables and trying to work it out.

InterNette
08-21-2008, 11:45 PM
My options set have two cables that came apart from the threaded silver cap and I discovered I have two sie 10 and no size 9 needle tips. I hear their customer service is good, I have to call and I guess I will find out. I was working on an afghan and I wasnt even 10 rows in when one popped and then maybe another 5 rows and that one popped too. I used the clover circulars and did the entire afghan all the way through without any problems and at the end that thing weighed a ton. So as long as option stands behind theirs?

suzeeq
08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
They do and yes you should give them a call. They will replace the cords and send you size 9s.