PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Grapevine Cardigan

lynn893
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Ok, so I've been working on this for a couple months now...

I had actually found this sweater (cardigan) on a thread here, checked it out, fell in love with it, and decided I HAD to do it (but not in the same color scheme as the original).

So, I've put it onto the back burner for the past month for some other, newer projects, but now I'm back!!

The link is:
http://geocities.com/jaslamb/grapevinecardigan.htm
the designer is Judy Lamb.

When I first swatched each of the pattern designs, I did notice that there were a few mistakes. I contacted the designer for the corrections, and after waiting over a week, decided to test out my own corrections. I then emailed the designer again, advising of my corrections.

So, anyway.... I'm at the point where I have to decide how long I"m going to make this sweater....

(there was NO gauge or sweater sizing for this.... so I'm hoping that I'm doing ok with my own measuring as I'm knitting...)

anyway.... here is my progress....
front left:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/justme893/knit%20stuff/july3027.jpg
back:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/justme893/knit%20stuff/june22008.jpg
front right:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/justme893/knit%20stuff/june22006.jpg

The pattern consists of a mock cable, then a "grapevine" on each side, then alternating crossed cables, moss st, and mock cables.

I'll update in this thread as I progress.

mks22300
08-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I really like the pattern design! What kind of yarn are you using? It looks very soft.

The.Knitter
08-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Now that is really very pretty! I bet it takes a fair bit of concentration too! Not your average boring knit, this sweater. I look forward to seeing the FO on this one.

lynn893
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm using Bernat Satin in sable. It is really, really soft.

The pattern is quite easy once you get the hang of the different patterns within each row.... but... yes, you really do need to concentrate on what you are doing.... (also, I wrote the entire thing out, row by row..... ugg)

I actually just went to longer cable needles, and was able to take a pic of the WIP on....

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/justme893/knit%20stuff/aug2016.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/justme893/knit%20stuff/aug2017.jpg

auntcrafty
08-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Love the cardigan -- Bernat Satin is one of my favorites to work with & I love the color, too.

Debkcs
08-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Lynn, that is truly beautiful! Love the cardigan so far, can't wait to see the FO.

ritaw
08-03-2008, 03:50 AM
It is going to look amazing when it is finished . I hope the designer contacts you .
I love the colour and i love bernat satin . I had a ball sent to me in a swap and it knits up beautifully
keep us updated with your progress:)

WandaT
08-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Wow that is going to be one stunning FO!!! Can't wait to see it completed!

lynn893
08-08-2008, 05:26 PM
The designer did email me back (after I had figured out the corrections for myself). I ended up advising her of the corrections, and I'm pretty sure she's corrected them in her pattern (if anyone out there is interested).

This WIP is going very slowly, only because I'm in 'home renovations' mode and have been doing an enormous amount of work around the house!

I'll post another pic next week! (hopefully I'll be almost at the underarm by then!) :knitting: :aww: :teehee:

MAmaDawn
08-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Great job! Looking for to seeing it finished...

dustinac
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
:inlove: wow...I can't wait to see that finished!

Hygiene Mama
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Wow! Looks very complicated, but it will be beautiful in the end! I can't wait to see the finished product!

lynn893
05-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Update & a few questions...
I can't get the image to post, so here is a link.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29597218@N03/3513782921/

The pattern states to make the sleeves 15.75" before starting cap shaping. Then shaping has you work for 5" then decrease every other row 7 times (total shaping would be about 7.75" + 15.75" = 23.5")

And, looking at the cardigan in the pattern, it's too short for my body type. The pattern states to work to 11.25" on the body, then work across and cast off for one underarm, work back sts, cast off for other underarm, and then working one front side at a time, to work decreases, then work until yoke measures 7", then to begin neck shaping for every row 8 times then every other row 4 times (16 rows) [ so 7" + 18 rows = just under 10" + 11.25" = 21.25").

My neck collar to just past my tail bone is 27".
My arm from shoulder to where I want the cuff to fall is 25".

...so, I was thinking should I work the sleeves to 18" before starting the cap shaping? or would this make the sleeves hugely too long?

...also, my favorite sweater measures 16" from the bottom to the underarm. Can/Should I increase this cardigan to 16" before starting the shaping?

Do these modifications sound like they will work?
Thank you for any help/advise. :muah:

ArtLady1981
05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
This is divine! I really do love your monochromatic version best! The grapes are visible, but don't overpower the vines and trellis! Super pattern! I can hardly wait to see the whole thing!!!

Simply_Renee
05-09-2009, 09:51 PM
WOW! That is so awesome! (off to look at the pattern!)

ETA I like it all one color too!

I am really not sure about your question on the measurements & how to modify. I haven't made any sweaters for adults at this point!

stisdale
05-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I have to be honest here, when I saw the pattern picture I was really.... um not loving the pattern (to say the least)? :aww: BUT when I see your monochromatic WIP it looks great! :yay: I'm really glad you decided to do it in the color and yarn you did, because it looks really good and it doesn't look nearly as bulky as the the original pattern did. In the pattern, it looks like it would give you giant football player shoulders because of the mock cables. But on yours it looks like it's going to turn out just fine! :cheering:

knittingymnast
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I love that pattern! I also really like the scalloped edge! I LOVE that color, as well! Awesome so far!

wezyus
05-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Wel done, dear ...nice colour n its so beautiful ...u r lucky ...thnks for sharing

margz3
05-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow - can't wait to see this FO - it's such a pretty pattern. I really like your color choice too :)

VictoiseC
05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
That is just so beautiful! I also agree, I probably wouldn't have made this from the picture/color combination of the original... this is a good example on using your imagination to create something else/more beautiful. Your version is richer looking. I have to take a look at that yarn, I never used it before. Great job!

Arielluria
05-19-2009, 11:17 AM
That is just so beautiful! I also agree, I probably wouldn't have made this from the picture/color combination of the original... this is a good example on using your imagination to create something else/more beautiful. Your version is richer looking. I have to take a look at that yarn, I never used it before. Great job!Totally agree! I wouldn't have saved the link if it weren't for your monochromatic version. MUCH better! Can't wait to see the FO!
:muah:
P.S.: Do like the original version for a child perhaps, but for an adult the mono is much better! Also love the yarn you're using, having used it myself yet, but I know I will!

lynn893
07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Thought I would 'resurrect' this thread, as I've been working on this again.... I still have not started the cap shaping, but I'm at that point now where it's my next thing on this project...

I made the sleeves 18.5" before any cap shaping.. (my favorite sweater sleeves are 19" before shaping)... and have made the body 15" before starting any dividing into fronts and backs and ... (again, the same measurements as a favorite sweater)

images are 1 - with flash (shows true color)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3533/3752963281_9c3a879916.jpg

and 2 - without flash (shows details better)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2605/3753759694_1966dc73bd.jpg

I now have to start the shaping, and was wondering... is it better to do the body of the garment first and then the sleeves, or does it matter?

:muah: :heart: :muah:

bambi
07-24-2009, 10:27 PM
I can't answer your question about the body VS sleeves but I think what you have accomplished so far looks wonderful!

PS You might want to edit the title of the thread and put "update pg 3" on it.

Bambi

lynn893
07-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't know how to change the title of the thread... :(

Jan in CA
07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
You mean make the body in general before the sleeves or do shaping or what?

BTW..it's gorgeous! :inlove:

lynn893
07-25-2009, 01:55 PM
umm... I think I'm ok on the part I''m working on today... (the Left Front - decreasing for the armhole [done], and now just work to 7")

The Neck Shaping also sounds ok, now that I received clarification that the instructions 'sound' right. :)