PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Stole 4 KAL

Phaedra
08-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm so happy.....especially since I JUST finished the last one! :teehee:
Is anyone else joining, have joined? What yarn and beads do you plan to use? I'm going to stick with KnitPicks Shadow, this time in the Spring Green Heather colorway and use dark grey transparent beads. Also plan to stick with my KP Size 3 circular.

leahhigginsart
08-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Hello, My name is Leah Higgins and I just finially got clearence to chat on this. I am a little frustrated because it took me several tries and a lot of time. I am glad I am finially here. I am from San Diego Ca. I have a quick question about needles. What are large eye blunt needles? Are they the double pointed needles? And why do they ask for large? What size is large? I havn't really looked around this site much, I am enjoying knowing there are so many knitters out there. I am always trying to turn my friends on to knitting or crochetting and do have a small knitting group together. cloud9

Karina
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I have joined MS4 on yahoo and ravelry as well. can't wait to get started. I am using Knit Picks Gloss in Pinot with Blue Iris Aurora Borealis Finish. This is what I have in my stash and am now doing my swatch with it and it looks OK so far.

Lisa R.
08-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a quick question about needles. What are large eye blunt needles?

They're tapestry or yarn needles, used for sewing in the ends on a project. You need the large eye to thread the yarn through.

KnittingNat
08-05-2008, 06:22 AM
I can't seem to be able to sign up. I have a Yahoo ID (for Flickr), but i use a different e-mail and it says my e-mail is no-good for this group. Anyone knows what's that all about?

mathwizard
08-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Where do you sign up? I have a friend who did one and my interest has been piqued ever since.:woohoo:

Phaedra
08-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Where do you sign up? I have a friend who did one and my interest has been piqued ever since.:woohoo:

Here's the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MysteryStole4/

gargoylelib
08-06-2008, 03:01 AM
I signed up a few days ago and have been on a bead hunt ever
since. I have no idea where to get beads here! I'm planning to use
a "light fingering" weight (according to Ravelry) 100% cotton to
make mine but I'm waiting to decide color until I find beads :)

Libbie

Karina
08-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Libbie - there is a complete lack of choice of beads here in the UK as well. I used the Artbead web site that people recommended in the US. I have ordered 5 different beads 3 packs of each just to be sure. the next day I had an email that they had been shipped already. I paid $13. something for postage, which is OK even with the postage I don't think I could have gotten the beads in this country for the price I paid in total.

Also have just found out that the Colourmart company a lot of people have been talking about is actually in the UK. so called them up and they are sending me a yarn sample card to get an idea of what their yarns look and feel like for free. Very nice lady on the phone, very helpful.

gingerbread
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Hi I am also signed up for the MS4. I am using Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud River. I bought clear bead with silver. They really sparkle on the yarn. So see everyone there. I think I am tee_tyme_50 on yahoo. I also use Teri when I get stuck on something and need to ask questions.
Have fun and see you there.

:waving:

KnittingNat
08-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Ok, I managed to sign up. Need to check the beads thing, maybe some citrine beads i already have will do (probably not).

Also have just found out that the Colourmart company a lot of people have been talking about is actually in the UK. so called them up and they are sending me a yarn sample card to get an idea of what their yarns look and feel like for free. Very nice lady on the phone, very helpful.
I just got a cashmere laceweight from them and they are great!!! I bought on their ebay store some odds and ends, which turned out to be enough for 2-3 shawls. I got some chocolate-brown cashmere which i'll use the Mystery Stole 4. Even when it's still oiled (you need to wash the knitted piece) it's still very very soft!

Karina
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I got my sample pack today which is really good. the little samples are enough to knit an inch or two square so you can see what they knit up like. and they send me 41g of 2/14 cashmere pink yarn. it is lovely and soft and enough for a little scarf. around 300 yards. have placed and order for some lace weight merino/silk/cashmere and some fingering weight cash/silk. I have my eye on a few other things as well. but will have to restrain myself for the moment.

Simply_Renee
08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Leah and welcome!

You should start a new topic (visible when you're on the page with the list of messages) so you aren't hi-jacking another thread!

The needles you're after are yarn needles or sometimes they're labled "children's needles" if they're plastic. The eyes are big so you can thread the yarn through. They aren't double pointed needles.

Simply_Renee
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
About what level of difficulty would you say a MS knitalong is? I have always wanted to try one, but haven't really knitted lace yet (except in a dishcloth with cotton yarn)

Karina
08-07-2008, 03:03 PM
I think that anybody can do this, with all the support of the yahoo group, Ravelry MS4 group and KH there will always be somebody here to help and support. I think I read on the Yahoo group that one of the members of the MS3 had never knitted anything before that stole and finished hers. Just take it one stitch at a time and ask questions whenever you need to.

Simply_Renee
08-07-2008, 03:07 PM
:I am game to try it, but will be using lifelines because I find it really hard to tink or frog anything too complicated still.

I feel like I could do about anything with all the helpful knitters out there! :grphug:

ETA just joined & read over everything. I have never worked a chart but understand how to read one. I have never worked with beads + knitting. Weeeeeeee!

Karina
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Lifelines and stitchmarkers, don't forget the istitchmarkers. saved me a few times.

Jeremy
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I joined. I did it last year but didn't finish. I did learn a lot about lace knitting though and I'm really looking forward to doing it this year. I think I'm going to do it in an off white, natural kind of yarn with dull gold beads. Maybe we should start a KAL thread.

gargoylelib
08-08-2008, 02:06 AM
I did MS3 last year and had never tried lace before. I found it to be
quite do-able. As Karina said, there will be a lot of support from
others who are knitting it and can answer any questions that might
pop up. I agree that lifelines and stitch markers are a must! :)

I've never knit with beads before either so I'm really looking forward
to that challenge. I found some kind purpley metallic looking beads
that I'm thinking of using but haven't decided on yarn colour yet.
I'm seriously thinking of going with a silvery gray yarn and will either
get the purple beads or try to find some that are a bit bluer. Not sure!
:)

Libbie

Karina
08-08-2008, 04:19 AM
I was wondering if there was going to be a KAL set up for this here on KH.

Sanibelle
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm in too. I ordered Jaggerspun Zephyr from Sarah's Yarn. Can you beleive I had it the next day! I ordered it in pewter which is a light gray color. I have tons of beads already since I use them for kumihimo - a Japanese braiding technique. I use size 8 sead beads to make bracelets and necklaces so I had tons of beads to chose from.

This will be my first lace weight project - I have done lace patterns and knitting with beads but not on such light weight yarn. I think this will be a blast!

Karina
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I just had to look up kumihimo, have never heard of it before. would make excellent bag and purse handles. How great that you got your yarn so quick. Love companies that provide excellent customer service.

Simply_Renee
08-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Can anyone tell me if this looks like a good combo & I have at least picked the right size/kind of beads?

Yarn- Knit Picks Shadow in Jewels Heather
http://www.knitpicks.com/Shadow+Lace+Yarn_YD5420127.html

Beads:
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?pn=H205023SB

Do these match? I am not much for shiny metal things so I thought somewhat matching colors would add a little sparkle but not be ostentatious!

Thanks!

(I also posted this to the MS4 list)

Karina
08-08-2008, 07:40 PM
It is hard to tell as colours are not always exact on screen. But they look lovely to me. Love the colours on the beads.

Phaedra
08-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Can anyone tell me if this looks like a good combo & I have at least picked the right size/kind of beads?
Do these match? I am not much for shiny metal things so I thought somewhat matching colors would add a little sparkle but not be ostentatious!

Yes, size 8 seed beads are the right size. And you have picked a beautiful match! The MS4 designer has near matching beads to her yarn color; I think your choices are wonderful.
With mine, it's gonna look like a slice of kiwi: green with dark seeds.:)

Phaedra
08-10-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm so psyched my yarn came! KP Shadow: Spring Green Heather. The beads are from The Beadwrangler (purchased last year) and are transparent gray. I'm set; got the required floss for the beads (very curious about this method) and just need to wind the yarn, which I may do later today.:woohoo:

gargoylelib
08-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Ooh, I like that green color! I always pick green or blue so I'm trying
really hard to stay away from them and try something new :)

Libbie

Jeremy
08-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I was wondering if there was going to be a KAL set up for this here on KH.

No reason why not:thumbsup: We had one last year. Why don't we set it up around 9/1 and it will be all set for the kick off.

Karina
08-11-2008, 04:15 AM
I'll be there.

Phaedra
08-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Just read that no lifelines are needed, there are no repeats!!!!! We'll have to count! OH BOY!
And the blocked specs are about 70 inches long and 16 inches wide.

dustinac
08-13-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm going to be using a dark purple and the beads from the MS3 that I decided not to use. Of course the MS3 is still otn :rofl:

Jeremy
09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
The first clue is out but there is still time to sign up. It looks very interesting... lots of beading but good aides in how to knit them. It looks like a lot of fun.

Here is the sign up page. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mysterystole4/

Enrollment is open until Sept. 12th.

Simply_Renee
09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
If you downloaded the chart first thing-

There are 2 beads missing. Georgina is fixing it.

I am still waiting on beads (and compulsively knitting baby hats while I am waiting.)

Karina
09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I printed my chart out this morning, just to find my colour ink is running low and the bead placement are not that visible. so spent a bit of time to colour in the chart. I also coloured in the ssk and k2tog etc so when a blue square comes up I know to k2tog etc works better for me to think in terms of colour rather than the symbols. Would I be able to just colour in the squares where the beads are missing or will I have to do the whole chart again.

Phaedra
09-05-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm starting tonight; I've been looking forward to this! I took my beads to work and spent part of my lunch time stringing them on the Super Floss; this opens up the portability of the knitting for me.
Well good luck to everyone!

Miss Kittie
09-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm in,too.
I'm using Bare laceweight and silver lined beads.
Thought I would dye it after I finish it and it tells me what color it's wants to be...:teehee:
I don't print out the clues untill the next day (or sometimes wait till Mnday) until they get the kinks out..
They're 2 corrections on it yesterday...

Jeremy
09-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I've knit the first five rows so far. I really like doing the beading with the floss. Its much safer than the crochet hook method.

gingerbread
09-07-2008, 07:53 AM
I have downloaded the charts and I think I am going to wait until Monday to start. I wasn't going to use the floss but it sounds much easier to use.
I am also doing another lace stole I must be crazy but I do love lace knitting. They both are using beads and I am using the crochet hook for that one. It's not bad using the hook but it does take time. So I will check out the floss and give that a try.

dustinac
09-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I haven't got to start yet...haven't even seen the clues :teehee: (just walked in from a weekend vacation) but I'm hoping to start soon :yay:

Phaedra
09-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I finished Clue 1; but I'm having trouble uploading my pictures. I'll post them soon (I hope). I had trouble getting used to using the Super Floss method, probably because I'm only used to using the crochet hook. But I'm going to stick with it.
I hate putting the floss down and since the beading is so often, I look really funny knitting with the beaded floss dangling from the corner of my mouth! :teehee:

Simply_Renee
09-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I finally finished the swatch & it looks pretty good! (after breaking a needle and restarting the (*#$)*(&^@# thing 4 times because I could. not. get. it!)

What cast-on are you using? Georgina is using the cable cast on (which I can't seem to do- using a crochet hook like she does might help) and others are doing a knitted cast-on.

Not sure which one to do. Halp!:help:

Phaedra
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I used the longtail method: I measure by holding the end of the yarn in one hand and stretching out my arm, holding the length near my neck. The area closest to my neck is where I begin the cast on.

dustinac
09-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I started on mine yesterday and the beads drove me crazy. Right now I'm using a crochet hook after trying regular floss and a bread tie, tomorrow I'm going to go out and look for the other floss :teehee:

Phaedra
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
The day before clue 2, here's my clue 1 which I finished last Sunday. I think I'm going to take it slower next time. :teehee:

Jeremy
09-12-2008, 12:27 AM
I used the longtail cast on and it worked out just fine.

Freyja
09-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I also used the longtail cast on and it worked fine. I held two needles together to get the right size.
I just had to order more beads, I am 50 short of the 1000 mark.
I love the way this pattern looks. Someone could knit this in neon colors and it would look good.

dustinac
09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
The day before clue 2, here's my clue 1 which I finished last Sunday. I think I'm going to take it slower next time. :teehee:

:inlove: Very pretty!!

The design so far is looking so pretty and clue 2 charted out looks really pretty...have to say that is only thing keeping me going...I did find super floss today but it doesn't look like it will make it easier to me :teehee: we shall see...

I did the cast on I always do Knitted-On

Jeremy
09-12-2008, 04:01 PM
With just a little practice you'll really come to like the super floss method. I can't count the number of times that damn yarn flew off the crochet hook when I was using that last year.

dustinac
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
With just a little practice you'll really come to like the super floss method. I can't count the number of times that damn yarn flew off the crochet hook when I was using that last year.

I'm starting to wonder if I bought the wrong thing...it does have a blue thin section then goes into the fluffier white section but the blue section keeps getting fuzzy on me...it was Ultra Floss by Oral B is that the same thing? The blue section isn't stiff :think:

ETA: I found the other tonight :yay: it works a lot better lol

Freyja
09-13-2008, 12:59 AM
I cut the end of the super floss some, then tie a bead in the end. I pull the floss end through the bead and have a nice little slip knot for my wrist. It takes a lot to make a bead fall of that fuzzy section. Having it on your wrist makes it easier to use and find.

Phaedra
09-15-2008, 05:10 AM
I cut the end of the super floss some, then tie a bead in the end. I pull the floss end through the bead and have a nice little slip knot for my wrist. It takes a lot to make a bead fall of that fuzzy section. Having it on your wrist makes it easier to use and find.
That's a great idea.....I'll have to try that.

Karina
09-17-2008, 06:07 AM
I have started my stole, finally decided to use the Colourmart cotton/silk 4ply that I have using a size 6 bead in hematite. Had to use size 6 as the crochet hook would not fit through the size 8. did not like the superfloss method of attaching the beads was too fiddly. I like the crochet hook method feels smother easier way to do it for me.

Have just ordered another cone of the yarn so I can do both sides at once, can imagine getting to the last clue and it sitting there for months before I would get motivated enough to do the whole thing again.

Karina
09-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Here is a couple of photo's of Clue 1 finished, both sides done. So pleased with this, am glad though that I am lagging behind a bit as all the errors are ironed out by the time I get to the clue.

Phaedra
09-24-2008, 05:00 AM
I'm definitely lagging behind as I have only knitted Clue 1. Some major work issues have come up and my brain is pretty fried. So I'll keeping collecting the clues (and hope to knit) and checking in here.

Freyja
10-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I am lagging behind also. I am doing both sides at once and doing it twice. One for me and one for my mom. I am in the middle of clue two. I feel like it will take me forever...

Finally out of clue 3 and a few rows into 4. I added more beads :)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg166/Sdeghelder/POP_3986_.jpg