PDA

View Full Version : FO: JACQUES COUSTEAU SEAMAN'S HAT

ArtLady1981
08-03-2008, 09:24 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2729633509_681964a5d9.jpg?v=0

The pattern is a FREE Ravelry pattern, called THE JACQUES COUSTEAU HAT. It's a CLICK HERE (http://pirouette.vuodatus.net/blog/402495) free pattern, however, when I made a copy/paste of the URL...it gives me an internal server error 500. So, if you are a Raveler, you can find the pattern in the hat patterns section, and if not a Raveler, I will be happy to email anyone the hat pattern. As I said, it is a FREE PATTERN. It is knit in the round, casting on 140 for a man's version, 2x2 ribbing for 8 inches, then beginning the unique decrease process.

The yarn is JO SHARP SILKROAD DK TWEED, leftover yarn from my brother's bomber jacket. I made this hat for my brother, to complement his bomber jacket.

However, when my DH saw this hat...he said, "I like this hat better than the other ones you've made me! Boy, this is so cool!"

So I gave it to him. ;)

It's doubtful that my brother would wear a knitted hat anyways.
He has longish curly hair, which he painstakingly primps and styles...and I've never seen him wearing anything but a baseball cap on a bad hair day prolly. :teehee:

twoxover
08-03-2008, 09:50 PM
it's gorgeous! It's just so very masculine looking----

now, as a beginner..how hard is it? <grin>

betsey

Jan in CA
08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
That's a great hat! Is it for DH?

I fixed the link.. scroll down for english.

ArtLady1981
08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
it's gorgeous! It's just so very masculine looking----

now, as a beginner..how hard is it? <grin>

betsey

VERY EASY. However, it requires 16" circs for the cast on and the first 10" or so...and finally, after the stitches are decreased to the point that you can't knit in-the-round any further, you must have a set of at least 4 dpn's to finish off the top of the hat. It's not hard, but you have to be able to master knitting from one dpn to another, juggling your stitches on 4 dpn's. I am clumsy at it, but I get it done!

I think Amy must have an excellent video clip for it here under ADVANCED TECHNIQUES or TIPS for knitting in the round on circs and/or dpn's. The sooner you learn it, the better. Just like mattress seaming. Ya just gotta bite the bullet and learn it!

ArtLady1981
08-04-2008, 01:00 AM
That's a great hat! Is it for DH?

I fixed the link.. scroll down for english.

No, it was for my brother, but my DH glommed onto it first! I have a soft spot for DH :eyebrow:...and I think he's just a tad 'covetous' of the bomber jacket I am finishing up for my brother! :teehee: So I gave him the matching hat...and he took it in a SNAP! Not even so much as a slightest protest! ;)

AND THANKS so much for fixing the link, Jan!!!

Debkcs
08-04-2008, 01:22 AM
My guys don't wear caps, but if they would, I'd make it. Great looking cap.

Probably pretty wise to let you sweetie have the hat, but I've gotta ask, haven't you ever knitted him a sweater?

auntcrafty
08-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Love the hat! I think I'll try this for the guys in my family for Christmas.

ArtLady1981
08-04-2008, 02:03 AM
My guys don't wear caps, but if they would, I'd make it. Great looking cap.

Probably pretty wise to let you sweetie have the hat, but I've gotta ask, haven't you ever knitted him a sweater?

Yes! I knit him a jacket back in 2006 for our Alaskan Cruise...a May trip, so Alaska had snow and icebergs for us!

He has worn it about 3 times total. He is a 'hot' body...hardly ever wears a coat...and never a sweater. He just says don't waste my time on knitting him anything.

It was called BASKETCASE...pattern taken from a book called "Knit a Sweater He Will Wear". I involved him (per the author's advice) in the selection of the pattern, the yarn, the color, the buttons, and the fit. I used 5 strands of CASCADE 220 WOOL to get the gauge required. This jacket is THICK and warm. Well it worked nicely for Alaska, and one time at home, in an ice storm and power outage, we walked down to the Panera Bakery for coffee (they had lights and hot coffee and Pastries!). And he hasn't worn it since. He likes it...he's just never cold enough to wear it. Or, the cold weather he's in doesn't call for a jacket that is so nice. What can I say. He's an 'easy keeper'. So I just knit for myself and others. Not him. :eyebrow:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2730452787_1dc9013b44.jpg?v=0
THE BUTTONS ARE GENUINE ANTLER HORN TIPS. And DH is a hunter.

Karina
08-04-2008, 03:09 AM
I love your hat. I don't think my DH would ever wear a hat but I think I will make him one anyway, I may just wear it for him. then maybe matching hats for FIL and my brother.

Also very nice job on your DH coat, shame he doesn't wear it.

Slim
08-04-2008, 07:18 AM
I love that hat! I'm sure my husband would wear it -- I'm gonna make him one for the 3 days of real winter we have here in Texas.

Hygiene Mama
08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Very nice!:cheering:

GirlChris
08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I love the hat and the sweater too. I am glad that DH got the hat, you know he has been so jealous of that jacket you've been knitting. :wink:
I had a similar DH seater experience. The second thing I ever knit was a sweater for him and it took me months and months. He wore it once and messed up the high collar with his scruffy neck and chin (note to all knitters, no high collars for scruffy men) so I tried to "fix" it and it didn't look very nice. He maybe wore it once more but he had to admit that he just doesn't wear sweaters so I think it is in a pile in the garage with spiders probably living in it. So no more sweaters for my DH either. LOL

Denise in Michigan
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
A Finnish pattern for the hat of a French explorer using a yarn called "Novita Tennessee", commented upon by a knitter in the UK! Ya gotta love KH! Thanks, folks!

mks22300
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
That is an awesome hat!

Knitting_Guy
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Wow, I really like that hat! I'm going to have to make one for myself.

scout52
08-05-2008, 01:24 AM
It's great!! I love the yarn with that pattern.

laikabear
08-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Oooh, I like the hat. I am making my Dad a scarf and I think I'll make that to go along with it. Very masculine. :)

Puddinpop
08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Uh oh. Jealous hubby again? LOL

Gertie
08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I think he's just a tad 'covetous' of the bomber jacket I am finishing up for my brother!

Bomber jacket? Oooh. Please post pics when done. What pattern?

ArtLady1981
08-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Bomber jacket? Oooh. Please post pics when done. What pattern?

I designed it myself. It started out as a VOGUE pattern (a gentleman's shawl collar mohair cardigan) but that all changed. The only thing I loosely used from the VOGUE pattern is the schematics, and even those changed when my dear brother announced that he likes his jackets and sweaters to be no more than 25". Gah! The original VOGUE cardigan was 30". And, Rick doesn't like fuzzy yarns...he wanted a charcoal tweed. So now back to the drawing board. That one change in length impacted the pocket design, the lapels, the neckline graduation and the collar. I ended up making adjustments towards the bomber jacket (flight jacket) style. But the pattern for everything is all mine. You should see my notebook. What a mess. If I attempted to knit this thing 6 months from now...I could hardly decipher my notes! I bet I'd have to start from scratch again! It's a nightmare of pattern changes and re-dos that should be on the SCI-FI channel at 3am!

The jacket is 95% done. I have to clip the sleeves into the armholes (prior to seaming)...and I'll have my DH try it on. I want to make sure the sleeves are not too roomy in the biceps area. If they are, I will mattress seam inside the edges about 1/2" to 1" from the edge instead of just inside the edge. This will ease away the sleeves extra width. Then all I'll have to do on the inside is cut away the extra fabric. Like you cut steeks. The edges roll to the inside, and you whipstitch them down a bit. Knitting doesn't ravel sideways, so this will not create a "run" into the sleeve.

Once that's done, all that's left is seaming up the sides and sleeves! Everything else is done, including buttons! (I bought black leather buttons! Wow, they are handsome!)

Gertie
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Good night!! :zombie:

You sure do love your brother to go thru all that.

I'm sure it'll look fantastic.

ArtLady1981
08-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Good night!! :zombie:

You sure do love your brother to go thru all that.

I'm sure it'll look fantastic.

I love him with all my being! And we're such good pals, too! Sometimes I think his wife and my husband might feel out of the loop when we're all together! Rick and I have so much in common. He knows I'm up late. He'll call at 11pm when he can't sleep...and we'll talk til 2am about this and that...computers, dogs, travel, technology, business, you name it. We can gab (and laugh!) about anything for hours. A brother is better than a girlfriend in a way! He and I are it. No other siblings, and our mom and dad are deceased. We're it.

However, when all 4 of us (me, John, Rick & Ethel) are together, we try not to talk as much with each other. I try to focus on Ethel, and Rick focuses on John. And John loves Rick to death! I hope Ethel loves me. She is a nice woman, kinda quiet, and very big-hearted. My brother is a handful, I'll tell ya that! I mean, he's a go-getter, a live-wire. You'd love him! :thumbsup:

As couples go...Ethel is perfect for Rick, and John is perfect for me!

bethany
08-07-2008, 10:10 AM
love it. (I am so bad with hats, especially ones for my husband.)

Gertie
08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
As couples go...Ethel is perfect for Rick, and John is perfect for me!

Yay! Such a blessing to find your true soul mate. :heart:

ArtLady1981
08-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Yay! Such a blessing to find your true soul mate. :heart:

Here is me and my DH! He's still smiling after all these years!
We raised 5 kids...3 girls and 2 boys. We've been in the trenches together!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2740498872_e96c60dc90_m.jpg

tokmom
08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
That would be wonderful for my fil. He lives in Minnesota.

Gorgeous job, btw!:yay:

MerigoldinWA
08-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Oooo, I love the way this one turned out too. Very thoughtful of you to give it to adoring DH instead of brother. The yarn looks perfect in this style.

I designed it myself. THE RICK RYAN JACKET. We're all proud of you. This is truly your own design. Can't wait to see it.

Gertie
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
We raised 5 kids...3 girls and 2 boys. We've been in the trenches together!

3 girls? Yeah. You've been through the trenches. I've heard that girls are harder than boys. We have 1 of each (g 22 & b 19) and our girl has been the hardest.

You make a great looking couple!

ArtLady1981
08-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks Gertie! Yes, I'd say girls are much more challenging. For one thing, you worry about them more in their teen years. And the girls have their monthly cyles to contend with. Girls can just suck the life out of ya'! But, I wouldn't trade 'em for 3 more boys! Our two boys...one was an easy-keeper, the other one was more of a drama king! But the drama son was more loving, like a big puppy that refuses to settle down and relax!

Anyway, when people ask me "How did you do it?"....I answer, "Not very well". And I have no advice for anyone...except to love 'em and love 'em enough to say "no" when you need to! Ya really gotta have a backbone these days! ;)

And then you pray they don't talk about you on the Dr Phil show! :teehee:

Gertie
08-09-2008, 09:26 PM
And then you pray they don't talk about you on the Dr Phil show! :teehee:

:roflhard:

saracidaltendencies
08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Oh, now that is nice! And just the other day I was trying to find a pattern for a seaman's hat but non of them struck me, however yours is gorgeous! And I like the yarn you used better than the yarn used for the pattern :)

dustinac
08-13-2008, 10:24 AM
:happydance: great hat and thanks for the link to the pattern!

Cynamar
08-13-2008, 01:20 PM
LOVE hubby's jacket! My nephew just moved to Kent. DO you know JT? lol

Lipanj
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Artlady,

Hi, I'm new to the knitting forum. Just want to say I love the hat and I'm in the process of making it. I'm at the point where you start to decrease, and suddenly confusion hit. When decreasing, the instructions say to keep the pattern. But not to sure how....ok, it doesn't take much to challenge me. For instance, the pattern is p2, k3....but when you decrease stitches does the pattern change. Can a once purl or knit stitch become the opposite due to less stitches..(Ok, I'm confusing myself as I type this, probably you too.) HELP Thank you.

ArtLady1981
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Artlady,

Hi, I'm new to the knitting forum. Just want to say I love the hat and I'm in the process of making it. I'm at the point where you start to decrease, and suddenly confusion hit. When decreasing, the instructions say to keep the pattern. But not to sure how....ok, it doesn't take much to challenge me. For instance, the pattern is p2, k3....but when you decrease stitches does the pattern change. Can a once purl or knit stitch become the opposite due to less stitches..(Ok, I'm confusing myself as I type this, probably you too.) HELP Thank you.

By "keeping pattern"...it simply means to knit the remaining knit stitches and purl the remaining purl stitches as they present themselves to you. As you decrease your way to the top...you will be losing stitches within the K3P2 sequencing. So, just keep knitting the knits and purling the purls...otherwise you'll end up with seed stitch!

FYI: I put stitch markers on the needles when the decreasing began. It helped me keep track. They are a bit of a nuisance to move and jockey around...but they helped me a lot. (if you don't have official stitch markers...use teeny rubber bands, or even yarn markers. I made my own yarn markers by tying yarn around a big fat needle, tighten the knot real good, clip off the excess yarn...voila! a yarn stitch marker. I used these yarn markers for a project wherein regular stitch markers got in the way)

I hope this helps! Let me know how it goes!

Mommyof2andangel
08-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I LOVE that hat!! No way I could do it now. Maybe i'll do it when I get more experience. My DH would love it because of it's ties to Calypso's name

Lipanj
08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Artlady,

Thank you so much for the quick response. Will work on the hat tonight when I get home from work. This has been a fun project and if I can figure how to post a picture I will when complete.

donna2kayak
10-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi there.. I absolutely LOVE this hat!!:heart: I just finished a Seaman's hat that came out nice but this is so much better looking.
What weight yarn is it? I have so much yarn to use up, I would hate to buy more!

Thanks!!

ArtLady1981
10-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi Donna!

The yarn is Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed. Because it's a tweed, it knits almost like a worsted.

Here is what WEBS (yarn.com) says about the yarn:

"Silk Road Aran DK Tweed is the lighter member of the Silk Road family features the same soft and warm wool/silk/cashmere blend as its heavier cousins.
Content: 85% Wool/10% Silk/5% Cashmere
Care: Hand Wash
Weight/Yardage: 50 gm/147 yards/ball
Gauge: 5 sts on #6 needle
Knitting Weight: DK"

And here is a link to the page at WEBS:
JO SHARP SILKROAD DK TWEED (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/1208/?gclid=CNe_0Z2tu5YCFRg6awodPllMLA).

Thanks for your kind words and compliments about the hat!
I really do like it myself. It wasn't boring to knit, and it was quick! :thumbsup:

beldaraan
10-23-2008, 08:52 PM
My husband is the same about not needing sweaters and it makes me sad. Besides wanting to knit a sweater for him, I always see nice sweaters in the stores that I want to buy for him too. All of it would be a waste though :(

He'll dig the hat though!!! I try to knit him a hat every winter and I think he'll like this one. (For the last two years I made him London Beanie (http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/london-beanie.htm) hats.)

KnittingNat
10-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Looks great :thumbsup:

tfairy
09-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Do you still have this pattern? Can you email it to me? Thank you1

aprilbetty
09-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Do you still have this pattern? Can you email it to me? Thank you1

Artlady,
I would love to have the pattern, too. None of the links took me to the pattern -- in English. Thanks
Betty

InterNette
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I can see why your husband liked it, it is a very cool hat. Could be a magazine worthy hat too.

ArtLady1981
09-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have the pattern.

I only have the link, same as you. On the first page you land on, it's in a foreign language to me, however on the far left column there is a red hat with the words "Pattern in English" I clicked it, and landed on another page which required me to log in "if I've been invited". Well, I haven't, so I guess that's that. The designer is no longer offering her hat pattern to others, at least not that I can see.

Now out of curiosity I'm going over to Rav patterns and see what they have. Then I'll try KnittingPatternCentral.

fatoldladyinpjs
09-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Sorry, must not have clicked the quote button like I thought I did.

Art Lady said:

VERY EASY. However, it requires 16" circs for the cast on and the first 10" or so...and finally, after the stitches are decreased to the point that you can't knit in-the-round any further, you must have a set of at least 4 dpn's to finish off the top of the hat.

My opinion is that pattern designers and yarn companies tell you to do the hat decreases with double points so they can sell you more needles. I don't believe they're necessary. I like to use magic loop for my hats. I don't use 16 inch. The longer the circular, the better. I'm using 32 inch circulars because that's what came with my interchangeable set. Eventually I want to buy a 40 inch. I use a single or traveling loop for the body of the hat and switch to magic loop for the decreases when it gets a bit small and tight.

tfairy
09-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Could you email me this pattern? The thread for it no longer works!

Thank you

Lighting57
09-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I love the finished look of your cap. Would you pm the pattern to me? The link does not work when I click on English pattern and the link in Ravelry requires that you log in to a certain website to get it. Thanks.

Well scratch the above. If I had read the entire thread I would have noticed that the pattern is no longer available.

ETA~ I found one that is almost identical. It is made with sock yarn though instead of a worsted, so I probably won't be making this one.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/2x2-ribbed-for-his-pleasure

aprilbetty
09-06-2012, 05:57 AM
ETA~ I found one that is almost identical. It is made with sock yarn though instead of a worsted, so I probably won't be making this one.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/2x2-ribbed-for-his-pleasure

Somebody should be able to convert this pattern to worsted weight yarn!

Tntgin4118
09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I love that hat! I'm sure my husband would wear it -- I'm gonna make him one for the 3 days of real winter we have here in Texas.

I'd have to figure out how to knit a cowboy hat for my Texas Hubby<G>. He will occasionally wear a baseball type billed cap if we're at the shooting range, otherwise he's a Stetson kinda guy!

I do love this cap, though. Betcha my son in Illinios would get some wear out of it.

usamacka
09-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Would it be possible to send me the pattern via e mail? I tried the links and it wouldn't work for me at all.
usamacka@gmail.com
Thank you