PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in the car - do you get carsick?

laikabear
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't usually go places as the passenger these days, but I finally got a few chances this weekend to try knitting in the car. I can't do it! I get horribly carsick right off the bat. I can't knit without looking yet, so maybe it is watching the stitches as well as seeing the scenery out of the corner of my eye?

I can successfully knit on an airplane, but not during takeoff and landing (when the ground is visible).

The weird thing is that I usually never get motion sickness, no matter how violent the roller coaster or even on that Teacup ride at Disney World. I have always been able to read in the car (my mom can't) and can still do that. Maybe I'll try it again when (if) I get good enough to knit with my eyes closed.

Jan in CA
08-04-2008, 11:14 PM
It bothers me, too. I don't have trouble on planes though either. However, I DO get motion sickness and don't go on rides like the teacups. Ack! :zombie:

CMRab
08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I can knit in the car but try to have something where I don't have to read a pattern. Reading makes me very sick. There are bands that you wear on your wrist that help with nausea called seabands that may help.

busygal
08-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Thank goodness I can happily read or knit for hours, even on the windiest roads, though I know many who can't. So sorry that you are missing all that quality knitting time! I assume you've tried the OTC remedies, but have you asked your doctor if there is something else you can try for motion sickness?

WandaT
08-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I can usually knit in the car with no problems unless we're on very winding roads. I get sick then and have to put it away. I can knit on the plane too but not during takeoff and landing. :) Glad to know I'm somewhat "normal!" LOL

GinnyG
08-05-2008, 07:24 AM
I get almost 1 1/2 hours of knitting in every day in the car! I ride with DH to work and we have about a 40 minute commute. I always have some kind of "simple" project (hat, scarf, straight stitch sweater) going for car knitting. IT doens't make me car sick unless I am trying to knit and read a pattern.

My DH even installed a "knitting light" (a head lamp wrapped around the sun visor that shines down into my lap) for knitting when it's dark on either end of the commute!

SBG
08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I can do it. I can't read in the car, not even a couple of words, without feeling horrible. Knitting doesn't bother me though!

Braden
08-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I can't even look down in the car for longer than a few minutes without getting sick. But, I can knit something simple where I don't have to look at it as much but even that sometimes bothers me.

Tropicflower24
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
I can *usually* knit in the the car, but there is one town around here that the road to it is so curvey, I can NEVER get anything done.

Lisa R.
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
On the highway, yes. On winding mountain roads...nope.

Doublereeder2
08-05-2008, 09:54 AM
No - I can't knit or read in the car either.

heatherg23
08-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm glad i'm not the only one! :p

When I swing in my hammock chair and knit I get VERY nauseous. Within 5 minutes I have to go back in the house. I can knit on a plane with no problem, like you said. I don't have motion sickness either.

I thought it was just me. I guess it's not.

Thanks for the post!

Jan in CA
08-05-2008, 11:25 AM
When I swing in my hammock chair and knit I get VERY nauseous.

I get sick on swings so I'd probably have the same problem.

laikabear
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Interesting...

I haven't tried any remedies for motion sickness yet. I figured the best thing is to just not get out the knitting. :verysad:

Besides, most of those drugs are the type of antihistamine that makes you drowsy (ie Benadryl) and let me tell ya, I wouldn't be able to knit after taking one of those! :sleepy: :passedout:

Jan in CA
08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Besides, most of those drugs are the type of antihistamine that makes you drowsy (ie Benadryl) and let me tell ya, I wouldn't be able to knit after taking one of those! :sleepy: :passedout:

:teehee: I've tried Dramamine, Bonine and generic versions. They tend to make me sleepy. I also take Benedryl at night intentionally to help me sleep! I got horribly sick on boat to Catalina after I'd taken the full dose of Bonine once so I tend not to trust them that much anymore. :shrug:

PurlyGyrl
08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
:waah: Nope, I can't knit or read or anything in the car. Heck, I even have a hard time just being a passenger!! I get terrible motion sickness. In fact, if I swivel around in my chair at work too much, I get a sick headache. :shrug: I've always wanted to take a cruise but there's no way--I'd spent the whole time hanging over the rail. :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
08-05-2008, 12:25 PM
:ducks for cover: I can knit and read in the car. Never knitted on a plane but know I would have an issue with that.

As for a cruise the ships are SO big you can barely tell they are out on the ocean or so I've been told. This is on hubby & I's want to do list and eventually we will get to do one.

Wanda Witch
08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't have motion sickness but never could read in any moving vehicle so know I would not be able to knit. Something about looking down and moving at the same time. Ugh. Have taken several cruises and only one time I felt sea sick but then even the ship's crew we were told suffered during that one. Guess I'll have to be content with going along simply for the ride.

Arielluria
08-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I LOVE to knit in the car, and living in a city where everything is done in cars, I get lots done! I can knit without looking so maybe that's why I don't get car sick. Have you tried knitting in the back seat? Might that help?

MAmaDawn
08-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I get sick on swings, but I LOVE roller coasters and trill rides and I knit anytime I'm in the car and not driving. Funny a little kids swing will make me sick but a HUGE fast roller coaster won't....

Mike
08-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I've never done it on a long trip but I doubt if I'd get motion sickness even then, that seems to only come with heavy reading in cars.
What would get me is if there was sunlight flickering through the trees or shining directly on the project (if it was something I really had to look at) it would cause a migraine, especially if it was flashing on the nickel plated needles.

KnitsAway
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Dramimine! It'll do you wonders!

I get car sick real easy as a passenger. Dramimine is my friend!

KnitsAway
08-05-2008, 06:22 PM
As for a cruise the ships are SO big you can barely tell they are out on the ocean or so I've been told. This is on hubby & I's want to do list and eventually we will get to do one.

My hubby and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon. We both got sick when we got OFF the ship. I remember standing in the hotel feeling my body sway but the ground wasn't swaying. I'm sure we were a sight!

Eekee
08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I knit all the way from OKC to San Antonio and back in April. Of course, I was making a garter stitch baby blanket and only needed to look down when I turned my work or changed colors. I could not do it with anything other than the knit stitch. I'd get a weird feeling when I had to look down for more than 10 seconds at a time. But it was a great way to finish that blanket, and I'ld do it again with any garter project.

KnittinMitchie
08-06-2008, 07:26 AM
I knit all the way from OKC to San Antonio and back in April. Of course, I was making a garter stitch baby blanket and only needed to look down when I turned my work or changed colors. I could not do it with anything other than the knit stitch. I'd get a weird feeling when I had to look down for more than 10 seconds at a time. But it was a great way to finish that blanket, and I'ld do it again with any garter project.

LOL you drove right past me in April on your way to San Antonio. ST RT 83 runs right through our town as well as I-20. small world,

and yeah garter stitch items are the best for not having to look at while in the car.

PixelPup
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm just the opposite: I can knit in the car, but can't read.
I've always thought it must be that my peripheral vision is just too good... I've thought about making something like "blinders"... those things they put on horses who are spooked easily. I'll have to try that sometime. I wear reading glasses, so I should be able to put some cardboard on the sides easy enough.

vaknitter
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
As kids we took many a cross country car trip and thank heavens I could read in the car. My poor brother never could - he would always try and always puke. Couldn't even get through pilot training b/c of his motion sickness..I digress... As an adult I cannot read in the car more than a couple of minutes. Luckily if we are interstate driving I can knit in the car if it is a simple pattern that I can look up often and just glance at a pattern. Things are so busy at home right now that I knit to and from work just to get a short fix in for the day.

Was it perhaps the driving style of the person who was driving. I have a friend who is on/off the accelerator so often that I cannot even get in car with him or I am sick in minutes.

KnittinMitchie
08-06-2008, 12:20 PM
oh yes driving style. I love my MIL to death but dear lord I do not like riding in the back seat when she drives. I just cant do it. Thankfully I've only had to ride back there a few times.

laikabear
08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Definitely not the driving style. My dad drives a Suburban and he is very careful and very slow (he's a trucker). I was ecstatic at the 75 mph speed limit, but he never goes over 60 mph. Also, those Utah highways are pristine! Very flat and new pavement. Nothing like what we have here in CA.

That was the worst, feeling like we were creeping along and I couldn't be DOING ANYTHING with all that time in the car. They live ~ 1 hr from Salt Lake City and we made the trip into the city 3 xs while I was there. It's good to be home where I can go as fast as the traffic on the roads will allow. :woohoo:

Daylilydayzed
08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Then I guess I am the one who can knit anything while in the car without getting motion sickness. I can also read anything in the car while my husband drives. Having something to knit or read keeps me from from getting bored or sleepy.

Sknitter56
08-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I can knit or read while riding in a car. Never had a problem. I sailed from Miami to the Bahamas on a sailboat a few times and never got sick then, either. Guess I'm lucky. I hate being nauseated. I think the only thing that's ever made me nauseated was anesthesia and then only one time. Ever since, if I have anesthesia, I let them know and I guess they put something in it or use a different kind because I've never been sick since.

becjo
08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm a car-puker myself too! No knitting in there - dont want gooky stuff landing on the yarn! I get motion sickness ANYWHERE! I hate it! The worst place for me - sitting in traffic. The top & go motion of sitting in traffic just makes my stomach turn. I envy those who can carry on with life in a car - read, turn around...not throw up!

Andres
08-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I can't knit/read/write in the car. I get motion-sick easily.

ArtLady1981
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Sometimes. If I'm tired and haven't eaten.

auburnchick
08-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, y'all will hate me when I say this, but I can do almost anything while riding in the car.

When we go on trips, which is quite often with my soccer-playing daughter, I always have my laptop bag and knitting bag(s) under my feet when I'm not having to do the driving (which is most of the time since we almost always travel as a family).

I often have the laptop in my lap, headphones in listening to podcasts, and knitting needles in my hands...all at the same time. I can browse the internet without any problems. One trip, I chatted the entire time...for eight or nine hours...in our chatroom. :teehee:

When I was still in school, I always read, studied, or wrote papers. I cannot afford to be carsick...I spend too much time in the car!

auburnchick
08-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh, forgot to add...that's only if I'm in the front seat. I cannot ride in the backseat of a car without feeling icky. Thankfully, I pretty much never have to.

tokmom
08-08-2008, 09:40 AM
just sitting on the passenger side makes me carsick.:roflhard:

Plantgoddess+
08-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm just the opposite: I can knit in the car, but can't read.
I've always thought it must be that my peripheral vision is just too good... I've thought about making something like "blinders"... those things they put on horses who are spooked easily. I'll have to try that sometime. I wear reading glasses, so I should be able to put some cardboard on the sides easy enough.
My hubby has to wear safety shields on his glasses because of work rules. I imagine any place that sells eye glasses would have the plastic shields. They just slide on the arms of the frames and cup the sides of the lenses. You could paint them so you couldn't use your peripheral vision in the car. I don't think they're very expensive.

cheley
08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't usually go places as the passenger these days, but I finally got a few chances this weekend to try knitting in the car. I can't do it! I get horribly carsick right off the bat. I can't knit without looking yet, so maybe it is watching the stitches as well as seeing the scenery out of the corner of my eye?

I can successfully knit on an airplane, but not during takeoff and landing (when the ground is visible).

The weird thing is that I usually never get motion sickness, no matter how violent the roller coaster or even on that Teacup ride at Disney World. I have always been able to read in the car (my mom can't) and can still do that. Maybe I'll try it again when (if) I get good enough to knit with my eyes closed. I CAN KNIT IN THE CAR AND PLANE but CAN NOT DO THE TEACUP AT DISNEY:eyes: :noway:

auburnchick
08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I CAN KNIT IN THE CAR AND PLANE but CAN NOT DO THE TEACUP AT DISNEY:eyes: :noway:

Me either...never. That's Daddy's job. :teehee:

ClaireGrandmaMaria
08-09-2008, 12:22 PM
:ick: :passedout: Hi All....

I can knit in the car simple pattern, but forget about reading a book a map.....I get motion sickness really easy. I can handle a plane ride as long as I can sit inside seat...and I can do a cruise..but this grandma can't do rides...if I do I really pay for it....green is not a good color....:passedout: :ick: Only in yarn....

Kels Joy.
08-10-2008, 12:27 AM
i NEVER get motion sickness, and i absolutely love spinning around in circles and tea-cup rides, and tilt-a-whirls, everything :happydance: . but i can't read in a car for more than a few minutes. sometimes even texting in a car bothers me, if i do it too much, specially in stop-and-go traffic.

i can't honestly say that i dont get sea-sick or air sick, because i'm terrified of flying and water (deep water, like lakes and oceans) so i get a nervous stomacheache, but i never throw up or anything.

my boyfriend, on the other hand, gets carsick even in five minute drives, passenger or driver. but not air-sick or sea sick.

it amazes me sometimes how different everyone is. :think:

MerigoldinWA
08-10-2008, 02:36 AM
I can usually knit or read in the car if the road is straight. I also like to stop and look up before stops and starts. As Mike said lots of shadows dancing around could be a problem, but you don't encounter that much in Utah (I've been there).

The bracelets that they make for motion sickness are something you could try that is not a medication, so no side effects.

I used to love all the carnival rides as a young person, I don't think I would anymore. And I have gotten miserably sea sick a couple of times. Once my DB was scuba diving and anchored the boat not far off shore. Oh, those swells coming in were terrible. I contemplated jumping overboard and swimming for shore. DB's wife on the other hand was reading a novel and eating while I was upchucking. LOL

rachejm
08-10-2008, 06:42 AM
I get motion sickness. I can't read in the car and have never tried knitting because I hate the lingering nausea that I get after reading - I try to avoid it at all costs. I even get it when I'm reading the playlist on my mp3 player! I generally only get it if I'm concentrating on something inside the car.

kristaj
08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
We just got back from a trip to Colorado. We drove 12 hours yesterday with two kids (thank goodness for DVD players in cars). I thought I would try knitting in the car for the first time since we had such a long way to go. I knit one row and was so sick for the rest of the trip that my poor DH husband had to drive the rest of the way. I'm still a bit nauseous today. I don't think I will ever try that again! :waah:

jdee
08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I love to knit in the car. We drive to Alabama once a year (DH's Family live there), and I use this time to knit on small projects like socks, hats, or charity squares. It really makes the time go faster.

laikabear
08-11-2008, 01:31 AM
When I was flying out, I kept the window shade up so I could see what Utah looks like from the air (weird). I had never been there before. When we got close to the ground, I was still knitting and started to feel nauseated as the sights were rushing by. I stopped, but whoooa, I was not feeling too good for almost 30 mins after I got off the plane. :ick:

GirlChris
08-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I get very car sick if I try to knit, read or concentrate on anything in the car. The hours wasted in college riding the bus everywhere were so agrivating I would need to study for something and would try or try to knit something easy and nope, sick immediately and then it sticks with me all day.

rachael72knitter
08-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I get sick in the car period. Unfortunately for my hubby and friends. . .this means they get stuck with co-pilot.

Knitting or reading makes me an even deeper shade of green.

Just thinking about doing something in the car that requires any concentration makes my head hurt and gives me vertigo.

KnittinMitchie
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
I guess I am just one of the lucky ones who can do stuff in the car. My other favorite car activity is to sleep, okay that is if the kiddo is quiet and hubby lets me.

outdoordrea
08-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I can do it. I can't read in the car, not even a couple of words, without feeling horrible. Knitting doesn't bother me though!

I'm the same way; and I was thrilled to find this out. When I ride with my mom (who I think is a bad driver), knitting is the only way that I can be in the car and not be "side-seat" driving! LOL!

lulubell
08-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I cannot knit or read in the car and have to sit in the front with cold air blowing in on my face or I get sick. My late Mother never drove and would sit in the front passenger seat knitting non-stop, the most complicated fairaisle or intasia would be done on long trips. How I used to envy that.

BostonBecca
08-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Nope, in fact I make my fiance drive my car sometimes so that I can knit.

tripletmomma
08-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Nope not me. I've always been able to crochet in the car so moving on to knitting was no biggie I guess. Now getting DH to quite starting & stopping random conversations while I'm intent on counting stitches... lol

Cynamar
08-18-2008, 10:16 AM
I can't do anything in the car--gotta look forward. IN the front seat I can look around some but in the back it's eyes straight ahead all the time or I'm GREEN! Man, I wish I could knit or read when someone else is driving!

LovelyLinda
08-18-2008, 01:22 PM
I've suffered from wicked motion sickness since I was a kid so no knitting or reading in the car for me either. Boy how I wish I could. :pout:

I've never tried knitting on a plane but I'm not too keen to try. Ugh, I hate that feeling.

Jan in CA
08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Motion sickness is the worst, too. Unlike the stomach flu you don't feel better for awhile after getting sick. The nausea stays until you stop whatever it is. Ugh.

Cynamar
08-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I look out the window the whole time I fly. I love to fly and I love to see out and I get a causeous if I try to do anything else!

Linda Jo
08-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Ginger! Yes, I said ginger. Take ginger before your trip and every so often and you will not get sick. I get mine from the local health food store.

dustinac
08-21-2008, 08:54 AM
My husband asks me do you have your knitting with you? This way I'm not grabbing the door handle or squeezing his knee off :teehee:

The only place I have to drop my knitting is about 20 minutes from mom's house and we have to go up Gauley Mountain. It is a WV curvy sharp turn road all the way up and we live at the top. JD likes to "shoot" the Mountain so no I can't knit during that time or I will get SICK... :rofl:

Cynamar
08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
THis morning there was a backup on the highway turning it into a parking lot. What normally takes me 10 mintues took almost an hour. I finally decided that in stead of cursing I could be knitting. I got a bunch done on a sweater sleeve! I was sitting still, though, and was the driver.

susi
08-21-2008, 12:39 PM
THis morning there was a backup on the highway turning it into a parking lot. What normally takes me 10 mintues took almost an hour. I finally decided that in stead of cursing I could be knitting. I got a bunch done on a sweater sleeve! I was sitting still, though, and was the driver.
omg lol, thats brilliant knitting time.

i can knit whilst in the car as long as its a pattern i dont need to read.i went to england a few weeks ago fro mfrance and knitted for about 8 hours in the car there and about the same on the way back, it was brilliant. it wasnt so great on the boat as it was a tad choppy, but still doable lol
i actually finished a shawl for mum that i planned for her birthday till she saw it done and tha was it she had to have it then lol

KnittinMitchie
08-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I got smart and just left a knitting project in the car that way I dont have to drag it back and forth between the house and hte car.