PDA

View Full Version : Hey, What are you reading these days?

looeez
08-06-2008, 01:43 PM
In my experience, knitters adore reading and if you do, I invite you to share what you have enjoyed lately. Recommendations can be a great way to discover new or not so new must reads. I am just starting Water for Elephants. What are you reading?
-loo:waving:

MAmaDawn
08-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Recently read The Magician's Nephew and Prince Caspian and now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice. All EXCELLENT books!

stitchwitch
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". http://www.slashfood.com/2008/02/21/artisant-bread-in-five-minutes-a-day-cookbook-of-the-day/

Sunshine's Mom
08-06-2008, 03:50 PM
River God by Wilbur Smith. It's the first book in a series of 4. Begins with River God, Seventh Seal, Warlock and The Quest. I'm waiting for my sister to finish The Quest so I can read it next, but I've been through the others and they're fabulous.

Also, I'm finishing The Navigator by Clive Cussler and Paul Kamprecos. I'm a huge Cussler fan.

My mom gave me Water for Elephants but I haven't gotten to it yet. Are you liking it?

SBG
08-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, so I mostly listen to audiobooks on my iPod. I just finished book 10 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Before I listen to book 11 (the last one, for now, til 12 comes out, which is the final book of the series), I decided to listen to To Kill A Mockingbird, which I've never read. I'm completely in love with it.

Knit4Pie
08-06-2008, 05:41 PM
At the moment, I'm reading "Cabinet of Curiosities" by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. They also wrote "Relic" (from which the movie was made), and I just finished that one for the 2nd time.

looeez
08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks so much, will be off to my library to check out your "reads." I'm lucky to have a fabulous library about two blocks away - it's a great retreat.

SBG - To Kill A Mockingbird, both book and movie are keepers. My kids are a young and in college 20 year old and a 15 year old and we have included this in our dvd and book libraries for years. It is often required reading in middle or high school English classes. Love the audio book on ipod also but I pay attention to the actor or person who is narrating - sometimes it makes or breaks an otherwise wonderful book?

Sunshine, my mom also gave me water for elephants and insisted I read it. She is always a wonderful resource. She recently had outpatient surgery and we spend the remainder of her surgery day reading the book to each other while we knit. One of us read and the other knits - It occurred to me that this is how families used to spend time together before radio and tv, doing handwork in evenings with one family member reading aloud. I haven't gotten far enough and don't want to ruin it but so far it is brilliantly written and I'm savoring it.

Thanks for all the recommendations and stay tuned!

loo

Wanda Witch
08-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I am about to start 'Water for Elephants.' My DH read it first and really enjoyed it. I love reading as most here do but find I go in spurts. Does anyone else have this problem? I will read several books and then wait awhile before going onto another. So, unfortunately, I am backed up with my reading material.

miccisue
08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
OK, I feel like the "trashy" reader here.:teehee: I'm reading "Back To The Summerhouse" by Jude Devereaux.....most commonly known as "beach reading" although I'm nowhere near a beach.
The book I read before that was "When We Get To Surf City" by Bob Greene. I adore his books......one of the best ones I've ever read was "Be True To Your School", and his tribute to his friend Jack in "And You Know You Should Be Glad" is amazing. Lots of reviewers call him "old-fashioned, dated, saccharine, schmaltzy", etc; but I've never read a book of his I didn't like. They are all taken from real life experiences.....I think there was one that wasn't, come to think of it.....and the people you "meet" through his books are very special.

mrsgrumblebum
08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I've just started Glass Tiger that my daughter lent me.
So far a good read and enjoying it.
http://www.curledup.com/glasstig.htm

Lollilulu
08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Persuasion! I'm really wanting to read the Chronicles of Narnia...

mimi
08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm reading "Loving Frank", a novel based on the true story of Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress. So far I like it a lot.

knitgal
08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm in a big Philippa Gregory phase it seems. I'm currently reading Wideacre and I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl and The Constant Princess- both fantastic. I also just read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.

mks22300
08-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm reading Anne of Green Gables for the umpteenth time :teehee:
Before that, I read Children of Cain by Miriam Grace Monfredo, Shoe Addicts Anonymous and Secrets of a Shoe Addict by Beth Harbison.

Jan in CA
08-07-2008, 01:32 AM
I LOVED Water for Elephants! And miccisue, I read Back to the Summerhouse and enjoyed it. Not the kind of book I usually read, but it was a nice diversion. :thumbsup:

I just started reading Carl Hiaason's Nature Girl. I've enjoyed his other books so we'll see.

Some excellent books that I loved if you're looking for books..

The Kite Runner (http://www.amazon.com/Kite-Runner-Khaled-Hosseini/dp/1594480001/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218087527&sr=1-2)
Three Cups of Tea (http://www.amazon.com/Three-Cups-Tea-Mission-Promote/dp/0143038257/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218087569&sr=1-1)
Snowflower and the Secret Fan (http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Flower-Secret-Fan-Novel/dp/0812968069/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218087605&sr=1-1)
Veil of Roses (http://www.amazon.com/Veil-Roses-Laura-Fitzgerald/dp/0553383884/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218087499&sr=8-1)

Anything by Janet Evanovich, Robert Crais, Jodi Picoult, Christopher Moore... so many more, but it's a start for you. ;)

MAmaDawn
08-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Persuasion! I'm really wanting to read the Chronicles of Narnia...

I'm sure you will LOVE them, I've never heard anyone that didn't. The Magician's Nephew is my fav so far....

I'm in a big Philippa Gregory phase it seems. I'm currently reading Wideacre and I just finished The Other Boleyn Girl and The Constant Princess- both fantastic. I also just read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.

How was Northanger Abby?

Do all of you know about Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page)? You can download books that are not longer copyrighted for free, they are either so old that no one has the copyright anymore or the company that had it no longer exist. Anyway thought you all would like to know about it.

knitgal
08-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Northanger Abbey was fantastic. It is a little different from Austen's other works, but it was just great.

Have you read any Elizabeth Gaskell? She's in the same vein as Austen.

ArtLady1981
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Wild Fibers magazine published and authored by Linda Cortwright

This magazine is the best in the world! My husband even gloms onto it before I can get to it! He snatches it out of the mailbox!

It is the quality of National Geographic, but specifically features the peoples and cultures from all around the world and of course, how they make and use fiber! The Summer 2008 issue covers (in one article) the people who raise the long-haired cashmere goats in Tibet. Linda actually treks all over the world and lives with the people. She publishes fantastic photography, and the in depth articles about the people,their lives and animals, etc. is incredible.

For example, here is a paragraph from her front page on the website, about a feature in the current Summer 2008 issue:

"Thanks to the efforts of one very ambitious Ladakhi, Dr. Tsering Phuntsog, India has its first cashmere mill that is owned and operated by nomads. http://www.wildfibersmagazine.com/e107_themes/wf_6/images/himalayagoats.jpg Now in its second full year of production, the mill is providing new economic opportunities for nomads who no longer want to see their profits fall into the hands of the middleman – the Kashmiri traders; who have purchased their fine pashmina for far too long."

WILD FIBERS MAGAZINE (http://www.wildfibersmagazine.com/) Well worth the subscription cost!

THIS PHOTO BELOW CHANGES FROM SCENE TO SCENE IF YOU HIT YOUR F5 (refresh) KEY! You can see it better and faster if you click on the WILD FIBERS LINK ABOVE. It is on her homepage! I love it!

http://www.wildfibersmagazine.com/e107_images/splash/4.jpg

Tropicflower24
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Reading: Back to the Family (by Art Smith- He's Oprah's personal chef.... Anything with her stamp on it goes for big bucks. The librarian likes my family..... And she let us have the books they were getting rid of for free. :) ) A lot of others, but what I was reading last.
Listening to: The Cat of Bubastes By G. A. Henty.

Both great reads. :)

SBG
08-07-2008, 01:36 PM
A narrator can definitely make or break an audiobook!

Sunshine's Mom
08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
ArtLady, those are the most adorable goats in the world. I wonder if they could live in the Northeastern US climate? Hmmm, may have to talk to the hubby about raising cashmere goats?! :wink:

ArtLady1981
08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
ArtLady, those are the most adorable goats in the world. I wonder if they could live in the Northeastern US climate? Hmmm, may have to talk to the hubby about raising cashmere goats?! :wink:

Well, all I know for sure is this: most of the highly coveted, softest fibers of the world (cashmere, qiviut [muskox], and vicunas for example) all live in very cold climates and often, it's the high altitude locations that provide the amount of cold weather needed to produce a fine thick soft undercoat!

iwouldratherbeknitting
08-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I just finished reading: The Friday Night Knitting Club

MAmaDawn
08-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Northanger Abbey was fantastic. It is a little different from Austen's other works, but it was just great.

No I haven't, but I'll add her to my list.. Thanks!

Krystal
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm reading Anne of Green Gables for the umpteenth time :teehee: ....

I love, love, love Anne of Green Gables. Read it a good 15 times in the first year I picked it up. Read it twice this year alone. :rofl:

I recently finished my love affair with the Twilight Series...anyone with teens, or even anyone really might be familiar with the craziness that is everything Twilight these days. Most readers I have met personally are 20somethings like me, or even older.

The last book in the series was released August 2nd, and after 20 hours of straight reading, it completely ruined the series for me. I will probably be able to revisit the first 3 books, later on... but that last book was just SO horrible, I still catch myself crying from disappointment.

Presently I am reading "The Scarlet Letter" So far it's very good, but it's hard getting back into such an involved writing style after reading almost nothing but a teen novel series for the past year.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-08-2008, 12:51 AM
I just read a big article about Anne of Green Gables turning 100 this year... or something. I love that whole series.

I just finished The Crimson Petal and the White... it was *very* good; it's about a prostitute, so... there was prolific use of the "c" and "f" words (fair warning to those of you more refined than I ;) )

I'm also reading Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design, the APA Manual, and Quantitative Research and Statistical Analysis :neutral: I would like to read a book called "How to write your dissertation without slitting your wrists" .... but I don't think such a book exists :hair:

Next on my "fun" list is The Pillars of the Earth, Those Who Save Us, and Wildwood Road.

traceleighj
08-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I just finished The Crimson Petal and the White

That was a really good book!
I also LOVE :inlove: Anne of Green Gables- have you watched the Mini-series- it is WONDERFUL!
I am just about to start Elizabeh Gaskill's "North and South" a friend loaned me the BBC movie and it is so good!
I just quit my job at the bookstore, so I am loaded up on reading for a while. Now I will have the time to read!:woohoo:

miccisue
08-08-2008, 12:54 PM
If anyone hasn't read these books, they are too good to be missed. "Bitter Is The New Black", "Bright Lights, Big ***" and "Such A Pretty Fat", all by Jen Lancaster.

I can't tell you how she got started writing these, as it would take away a lot of the story of the books.....but she is wickedly sarcastic and VERY, VERY funny. She says the things I wish I could say in certain situations and gets away with it!!!

For those in the Chicago area, that is where the books are set - you'll probably recognize some of the "landmarks" she mentions.

knitternut
08-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I usually read books on history, but at the library the other day I saw a book called "The Fireman's Wife", and since that has been me for 20 years I checked it out and read it within 24 hours.

The author is an excellent writer. I laughed out loud at times, and nodded my head through most of it thinking "this is so true."

She also talked about many things I've thought in my head but never said out loud.

I think anyone would enjoy this book and it really explains the life of a firefighter family. My DH is sleeping right now because he ran call last night.

Jan in CA
08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
My DH is a retired firefighter (Newport Beach, CA) so I put this on my list! :yay:

Puddinpop
08-08-2008, 05:05 PM
The book I read before that was "When We Get To Surf City" by Bob Greene. I adore his books......one of the best ones I've ever read was "Be True To Your School", and his tribute to his friend Jack in "And You Know You Should Be Glad" is amazing. Lots of reviewers call him "old-fashioned, dated, saccharine, schmaltzy", etc; but I've never read a book of his I didn't like. They are all taken from real life experiences.....I think there was one that wasn't, come to think of it.....and the people you "meet" through his books are very special.
They sound like titles of songs. I love beach books and romance novels. Are they the same? Anyway, I am going to look up his books. "When We Get To Surf City" has got to be good, with a title such as that.

Puddinpop
08-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I love the DVD of Anne of Green Gables. It drives my husband nuts. I also, like Gidget movies.

auntcrafty
08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
:teehee:
I'm currently reading ~
Sweetgum Knit Lit Society by Beth Pattillo.

Recently finished (mostly flying back & forth from Maine to Hawaii) ~
Thread of Deceit by Catherine Palmer
Now and Always by Lori Copeland
Hidden by Shelly Shepard Gray
Fancy Pants and Forever More by Cathy Marie Hake
Midnight Sea and Abomination by Colleen Coble
Deep in the Heart of Trouble by Deeanne Gist (loved her A Bride Most Begrudging)
Oh, Baby! by Judy Baer -- Christian knitting doula with a pot-bellied pig!

On my to be read list ~
The Road to Reality by KP Yohannan
To Live Is Christ: Joining Paul's Journey of Faith by Beth Moore
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen (actually rereading)
Twice Loved by Lori Copeland
Calico Canyon by Mary Connealy
Cranford & North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Fireman's Wife by Susan E. Farren (my family were volunteer firemen in Maine so interested in what wives face everyday)

Krystal
08-08-2008, 09:35 PM
I love the DVD of Anne of Green Gables. It drives my husband nuts. I also, like Gidget movies.

I have the first half of the miniseries and I love it. Cannot find the second half anywhere here though. Will probably get it for Christmas.

Too bad it drives your husband nuts. My DH LOVES the Anne Series. He's the one who asks to watch it every so often. He hopes our future child will be like Anne, and while he hasn't read the books yet himself, he said he will read them when he reads them to our future child. Ahh, I just love DH, he's a big kid in some ways (aren't they all?) and he relates so well to Anne's spirit... I guess you could say they are 'kindred spirits'. :teehee:

mks22300
08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
There's just something about reading the Anne series that makes you feel so good! I loved the mini-series and also the series Avonlea.
I also read about Anne turning 100 this year and that PEI was having all kinds of celebrations.

fancy_polar01
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm currently reading Breaking Dawn, the last installment of the twilight series, and so far it has disappointed me. Oh well, at least the first 3 were good. After I finish that I have to read the Odyssey before school starts next Tuesday.

Duessa
08-09-2008, 02:42 AM
i don't know if you know it or not but robert jordan died. he won't be finishing the last one. someone else is piecing it together from notes and outlines. : ( i'm so depressed.

auntcrafty
08-09-2008, 05:11 AM
I have the first half of the miniseries and I love it. Cannot find the second half anywhere here though. Will probably get it for Christmas.

Too bad it drives your husband nuts. My DH LOVES the Anne Series. He's the one who asks to watch it every so often. He hopes our future child will be like Anne, and while he hasn't read the books yet himself, he said he will read them when he reads them to our future child. Ahh, I just love DH, he's a big kid in some ways (aren't they all?) and he relates so well to Anne's spirit... I guess you could say they are 'kindred spirits'. :teehee:

Are you talking about the ones with Megan Fellows as Anne? All three are available thru Christian Book Distributors (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=title&Ntt=Anne+of+Green+Gables&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1) for $22.99 each series or $59.99 for the trilogy. I used to see them in Wal-mart before Christmas for less, but last year they didn't have any.

I love the first two and was very disappointed when I went to PEI 20 years ago and found out the series was filmed in Ontario, not on PEI. However, it was fun exploring all the areas Lucy Maude Montgomery discribed in the books.

miccisue
08-09-2008, 08:13 AM
They sound like titles of songs. I love beach books and romance novels. Are they the same? Anyway, I am going to look up his books. "When We Get To Surf City" has got to be good, with a title such as that.

IMHO, his books are the best!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, he did use song titles for these books.
They aren't romance novels, he actually writes non-fiction, and the 3 I mentioned are from his personal experiences. I can give you a little background on each....but you have to read them to get the full enjoyment from them. "Be True To Your School" is based on a diary he kept from New Year's of his junior year in high school through New Year's of his senior year in high school. He'd always wanted to write, and went to a high school journalism conference. One of the speakers told the group the best training they could get would be to keep a journal or diary for a year, and they had to write something every day. He told them that would train them to look for and remember little details, which would be essential skills for writing professionally. Years later, he uncovered the diary when going through some old stuff and published it. I'm not joking when I say when you read it, it will transport you back to high school - the feelings of your first love, high school activites, hanging out with friends....amazing. "And You Know You Should Be Glad" is about a friend he has known since kindergarten who has gotten very sick. It's a beautiful tribute to lasting friendships, and flashes from present day to their days in kindergarten, grade school, high school, college, and times leading up to when he finds out his friend is ill. Again, beautifully written, and very heartfelt. "When We Get To Surf City" is about the years he spent summers singing with Jan and Dean's touring band. Someone read his first book, and it mentioned him buying a Jan and Dean record. This person knew J&D and introduced him, and it grew into him occasionally touring with them. I can't imagine how awesome that would be! I mean, yeah, they'd be oldies tours and not huge arenas, but think how cool it would be to be able to be on stage with a group you grew up listening to, singing and playing along (for every girl like me who sang into a hairbrush "microphone" while playing my 45's, it would be a dream come true!)
He has also written some others - "The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen" is also great. It's about a town where all the troop trains for WWII stopped when transporting troops to California. Since a lot of the servicemen were young guys, many who had never really been away from home, the town set up a canteen - music, dancing, sandwiches, coffee, donuts, the whole bit. And, the whole reason was to help cheer these guys up on their way to basic training. The town did it on their own - just out of the goodness of their hearts.
These are the kinds of books he specializes in - he finds something true, researches it, and turns out books that, in the end, make you feel like you know the people in them - and that you like them.
To me, he's one of the best writer's I've ever read.
Go to the library and check out one of his books - I know they're not romance novels, but I really think you'd like them.

knitgal
08-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I love the first two and was very disappointed when I went to PEI 20 years ago and found out the series was filmed in Ontario, not on PEI. However, it was fun exploring all the areas Lucy Maude Montgomery discribed in the books.

Actually they were filmed in both Ontario and PEI. Did you visit all the locations from the books? And L.M Montgomery's house? It's incredible. My dad taught photography there when I was young and so we spent several weeks there in the summers. I was lucky enough to get to visit all the locations in the books. I love the "Anne" books so much that when I was younger I started to put an "e" on the end of my name- Ann.

cdjack
08-09-2008, 09:19 AM
I also loved Anne of Green Gables books. Growing up in Houston, Texas, I would close my eyes and daydream of how different her surroundings were from mine. For awhile there, every time we would go on a summer vacation, I would say that I wanted to go see where Anne lives. We never made it, and I still want to go someday.

I like Kathy Reichs books a lot. And I just finished the "Women's Murder Club" series. A fun read...

kellybigeyes
08-09-2008, 09:42 AM
It is so funny that looeez said that knitting and reading go together. :teehee: I am 26 years old and I have never liked to read that much. I always had to for school so I didn't like reading in my free time. I would read a book here and there, BUT I HAD to get interested in the first 4 or 5 pages or I would just put it down. However, when I started knitting back in October of last year, for some odd reason, I started enjoying reading. Just out of the blue!! So I know that knitting and reading go together. ;) I usually catch myself reading true stories/non-fiction.

Here are few that have read lately:

Eat, Pray, Love (http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Pray-Love-Everything-Indonesia/dp/0143038419/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218289285&sr=1-1) by Elizabeth Gilbert

90 Minutes in Heaven (http://www.amazon.com/SELECTIONS-Minutes-Heaven-Inspiring-beyond/dp/0800719093/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218289229&sr=1-1) by Don Piper

Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope (http://www.amazon.com/Mistaken-Identity-Families-Unwavering-Thorndike/dp/1410408965/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218289130&sr=1-1) by Don Van Ryn, Susie Van Ryn, Whitney Cerak, and Mark Tabb

Don't Bet against Me!: Beating the Odds Against Breast Cancer and in Life (http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Bet-against-Me-Beating/dp/141431907X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212292287&sr=1-1) by Deanna Favre

You should really check out these books. I would read them all again. They are great!!

Puddinpop
08-09-2008, 02:54 PM
He sounds interesting. I will look for his books. A dairy of high school I know I would like. I used to sing into my hair brush. That's so funny to think about it now. Kids now days don't realize that it wasn't that easy to listen to music, like it is now. Your transistor radio would go dead and you had to go buy a new battery for it. Just one or two decent radio stations and the same songs played over and over. I was listening to XM radio today and my 22 year old daughter was with me. That song Chick a Boom came on the radio and I told her that I hadn't heard that song in so long. She said it was awful, but later on she was singing it. I told her see, that is why it was popular.

Sorry, don't know how I got so off topic. I'm going to look for his books. Thanks.

Puddinpop
08-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I bought the Anne of Green Gables DVD and didn't realize for a whole year that the other part of the series was on the other side of the DVD. I was so excited when I realized it. I can be goofy sometimes.

Krystal
08-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm currently reading Breaking Dawn, the last installment of the twilight series, and so far it has disappointed me. Oh well, at least the first 3 were good. After I finish that I have to read the Odyssey before school starts next Tuesday.

Nice to see another Twilight fan on the boards here. I felt alone for a while. :) Breaking Dawn kinda ruined the books for me. I hope I can ignore it after a little while. I posted about them on page 3 in this thread.

Are you talking about the ones with Megan Fellows as Anne? All three are available thru Christian Book Distributors (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=title&Ntt=Anne+of+Green+Gables&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1) for $22.99 each series or $59.99 for the trilogy. I used to see them in Wal-mart before Christmas for less, but last year they didn't have any.

Yup same ones. My DH found the first one at walmart and I keep my eye open for the rest but so far nothing. Hopefully I will be getting them for Xmas though.

Puddinpop
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Kelly, I read 90 Minutes In Heaven. What a story he had to share. I found it comforting.

knitgal
08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
I bought the Anne of Green Gables DVD and didn't realize for a whole year that the other part of the series was on the other side of the DVD. I was so excited when I realized it. I can be goofy sometimes.

That happened to me when I was little! I had the video (which is crazy worn out now) and the second part was after the credits, so I didn't figure it out for years. I thought I was the only one- I'm so glad I have company now!

jennebersold
08-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I just finished reading: The Friday Night Knitting Club

I loved that book! I have passed it on 5 or 6 times already! And that's what started to get me curious about knitting!

Oh, and I am currently reading The Zookeepers Wife, but am having a hard time getting into it because I am insanely addicted to knitting.
I also just finished Those Who Save Us, and Harvesting the Heart. Both great books!

ladyjessica
08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm also working on the Twilight series. I'm only on New Moon right now, but I have the last 2 ready and waiting. I've read here and other places that Breaking Dawn is really....um....:?? but I can't start a series and not finish it.

I also LOVE the Anne series, and I really need to read it, and the Emily of New Moon series, again. Did anybody else ever watch the 'Avonlea' series? It was based on the Story Girl books and the Chronicles of Avonlea. I always enjoyed it, [I]almost[I] as much as the Anne movies.

Puddinpop
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Oh Ann, are you sure your name isn't Anne with an E? LOL

Krystal
08-10-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm also working on the Twilight series. I'm only on New Moon right now, but I have the last 2 ready and waiting. I've read here and other places that Breaking Dawn is really....um....:?? but I can't start a series and not finish it.

I also LOVE the Anne series, and I really need to read it, and the Emily of New Moon series, again. Did anybody else ever watch the 'Avonlea' series? It was based on the Story Girl books and the Chronicles of Avonlea. I always enjoyed it, [i]almost[i] as much as the Anne movies.

Oh keep reading Twilight, really with the except of Breaking Dawn the books just keep getting better and better. New Moon was my least favourite in the series when I first read it, but after reading Eclipse I had a understanding and respect for it... and now after Breaking Dawn I have nearly changed my mind all together.

The fandom seems to be be split literally 50/50 on Breaking Dawn. Most saying that knowing the book wasn't good helped them prepare and were able to accept the lack of greatness and still enjoy the book.... and some think the book is great altogether and that the rest of us are nuts. haha.

I really hope you do enjoy Breaking Dawn when you get to it, because the disappointment I felt literally broke my heart. I cried over the last pages, not because it was over, but because of how disappointed I was. It felt like a bad dream.

kristaj
08-10-2008, 05:25 PM
What a terrific thread. My very first passion! My DH teases me all the time because I go back and read books over and over again. They are like my best friends. I too LOVE the Anne series, but my favorite of LM Montgomery is a short story called Kilmeny of the Orchard. I have to read the Anne series at least once a year as well as the Little House Books. I have also dreamed of going to PEI to see all the "Anne" sights. Right now though I am starting the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon again. These are my favorite books and I can't wait for the seventh book to come out. For anyone who enjoys Scottish history, US Revolutionary War history or time travel or even just historical fiction these are great. For my classroom though I am starting the Judy Moody and Stink books by Megan McDonald very soon (too soon). If you have a second or third grade child this is an awesome series.

auntcrafty
08-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Actually they were filmed in both Ontario and PEI. Did you visit all the locations from the books? And L.M Montgomery's house? It's incredible. My dad taught photography there when I was young and so we spent several weeks there in the summers. I was lucky enough to get to visit all the locations in the books. I love the "Anne" books so much that when I was younger I started to put an "e" on the end of my name- Ann.
The person at Green Gables told us the miniseries was filmed only in Ontario, so that's why I thought that (plus it's been a while since I've watched the series to check the credits). It's been so long I don't remember where & what we did -- Green Gables & LMM's house are the two that stand out the most. I loved PEI and would love to go again. How wonderful you got to spend so much time there!

I was hoping to have children of my own and be able to name a daughter Eleanor Anne. I also like Catherine/Katherine and think of that scene often.

Puddinpop
08-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Who wrote the Friday Night Knitting Club? Was it Debbie Macomer? I am reading her "Twenty Wishes", but it's not really holding my attention. I'm a little disappointed in it.

kellybigeyes
08-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Kate Jacobs wrote the Friday Night Knitting Club.

laikabear
08-13-2008, 04:43 AM
I have books like most knitters have stash... you know, more than you'll probably finish in a lifetime. Especially since I can't knit and read at the same time (I know, I suck).

Currently reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter. It is good so far. About a doctor in the 60s who delivers his wife's twins. One has Down's syndrome and he has the nurse take her away and tells his wife she died. So what happens after that...

A few good ones I read recently...
A Thousand Acres - by Jane Smiley. This is supposed to be an adaptation of King Lear (which I haven't read). I really got into it. I have read another book of hers, Horse Heaven, but I liked this one better.

Wide Sargasso Sea - by Jean Rhys. A "prequel" and different perspective on Jane Eyre. This was a really neat book.

Actually, check this website out: www.librarything.com. It's where you post your books (like stash!) and you can write comments about them, see other people's libraries, and see which people have the same books as you. It's pretty cool. My profile on there is laikabear if you want to check it out - I have comments for most of the books I have. :)

Duessa
08-13-2008, 06:35 AM
I am currently reading "Little women" off the gutenburg project website, thanks so much! and the "The Eye of the world" which is the first book in the wheel of time series. I'm so depressed about these books because Robert Jordan died and there was only one book left. someone is piecing the book together from his notes and outlines but it just won't be the same. : (

Some books I recommend: The Sword of Truth and all the books that follow it. Very good fantasy series. The Wheel of time books of course. The Witching Hour, if you don't mind a little risque reading. There are so many more but I'm a little brain dead right now. lol I'll post back when they come to mind. : )

Stonington
08-13-2008, 09:28 AM
I just started The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. Has anyone else read this? thoughts? Love this thread! :heart:

anne
sebago, ME

jennebersold
08-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Actually, check this website out: www.librarything.com. It's where you post your books (like stash!) and you can write comments about them, see other people's libraries, and see which people have the same books as you. It's pretty cool. My profile on there is laikabear if you want to check it out - I have comments for most of the books I have. :)

Another great website to compare books is goodreads.com!

Stonington
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Actually, check this website out: www.librarything.com (http://www.librarything.com). It's where you post your books (like stash!) and you can write comments about them, see other people's libraries, and see which people have the same books as you. It's pretty cool. My profile on there is laikabear if you want to check it out - I have comments for most of the books I have. :)
Thank you so much for sharing this site! :cheering: It is fantastic... I can see I won't be getting a ton of work done here today!
anne
sebago, me

Lollilulu
08-17-2008, 09:28 PM

My sisters have read Wives and Daughters (the 1995 BBC miniseries adaption of that is my all-time favorite -- it's great! Justine Waddel, Francesca Annis, Bill Paterson, Anthony Howell, and Keeley Hawes star) and North and South (there is a miniseries of that but I'm not so wild about it). I have heard of Ruth but never read it.

I've seen the latest film (Masterpiece Theater, starring JJ Field and Felicity Jones) of Northanger Abbey and it was pretty funny. I have only read Pride and Prejudice and am working on Persuasion right now. Sense and Sensibility is next on my list.

Have you seen the Masterpiece Theater Jane Austens? Miss Austen Regrets was my favorite.

SunshineGurrrl
08-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I just started reading Eleanor of Aquitaine : A Life because I love love love medieval history.
I also just finished reading the Twilight series, I think eclipse was my favorite out of all of them, Breaking Dawn was kind of a let down

Krystal
08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Currently reading "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" by Silver RavenWolf.
It is essentially a beginners guide to studying Wicca...

I have had this book since I was 16, when I was studying the craft. I was quite serious about it, but honestly can't remember WHY I didn't follow through. I think I became obsessed with Sailor Moon around that time, and everything else just dropped.

Recently I have felt a tremendous pull back in that direction, so I dug it out of storage. I am finding it more relevant to who I am now, more than ever, and am really enjoying the basics of it.

cam90066
08-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Wow....lots of great titles.

I'm a HUGE fan of Sue Grafton and finally had to put her latest (T is for Trespass) on hold at the lib to get my hands on it. Scarfed it down in 24 hours. The subject matter...elder abuse...was difficult to absorb, at times.

Read a review of Crais' latest and am hoping to get that soon.

Seems like knitting and crafting have been first and foremost for so long actually sitting down and reading (getting the eyes to track properly...LOL) reminded me how much I miss a good book.

Our local lib sys has reduced loan time to two weeks so it's a good thing I'm a speedy reader. (No getting sidelined by 'real life' anymore because so many of the books are being requested by someone else so you can't renew.) I used to enjoy the 'cushion' of having three weeks so I could grab several books and not feel I had to return them right away.

cam

Crycket
08-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I am still looking for the perfect book to fill the hole that finishing the Harry Potter series has left me...

I am relistening to the Bartimaeous trilogy on my iPod....
The Amulet of Samarkand
The Golums Eye
Ptolomys Gate

HollyP
08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I just finished The Memory Keepers Daughter. It was a really good book. It really made me think, in a good way not a what just happened way. My mom and good friend are both reading it now. I think we will have a mini book club when they are finished.
I need to go back through this thread and get another suggestion.

traceleighj
08-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I just started reading Eleanor of Aquitaine : A Life because I love love love medieval history.
Who is the author???? It sounds interesting!

SunshineGurrrl
08-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Who is the author???? It sounds interesting!

allison weir, I've read a couple of her biographies some for school and some for me and she's pretty awesome! :)

nephthys8
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
I might have a slightly different taste, but I'm currently going through the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Knitting on the metro in the mornings :knitting: has taken me away from Guards! Guards!, which I am in the middle of.

Pat in Ca
08-21-2008, 12:58 AM
If you liked Kite Runner, check out his 2nd book..A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS..it is even better than Kite Runner IMO..
Also, "LONE SURVIVOR"...BY MARCUS LATRELL (spelling may be wrong)..is a fabulous non fiction story of a Navy seal and his mission in Afganistan...incredible true story that is being made into a movie to come out in '09..

Duessa
08-21-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm reading Little Women By Louisa May Alcott. So sweet. I have seen the movie but this is great.

I'm also reading Anne Rice's "Lasher" which is the second in the trillogy. Very interesting but a little inappropriate for many.

Also, Also, I'm kinda reading "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan. Very long series and *warning* he died two years ago and left notes, outlines and such about the last book in the series. such a sad thing. It was some rare blood disease or something I guess. Idk, I'm so depressed about it. lol

I love you to read. All of these will go on hold on monday when school starts. : (

Nan101
08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I recently finished my love affair with the Twilight Series...anyone with teens, or even anyone really might be familiar with the craziness that is everything Twilight these days. Most readers I have met personally are 20somethings like me, or even older.

The last book in the series was released August 2nd, and after 20 hours of straight reading, it completely ruined the series for me. I will probably be able to revisit the first 3 books, later on... but that last book was just SO horrible, I still catch myself crying from disappointment.

above was a quote..don't know what I did for it not to quote properly

Even 40 somethings like these books :thumbsup: Almost finished with twilight. I have all 4 down loaded to my kindle and ready to read. I have heard so many bad things about the 4th book I'm afraid to read it. I think the harshest review I read for the 4th book was the writer questioning if it was written by the same author.

losnana
08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I totally agree!! I loved Kite Runner, but loved A Thousand Splendid Suns even more.

[quote=Pat in Ca;1143750]If you liked Kite Runner, check out his 2nd book..A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS..it is even better than Kite Runner IMO..

Krystal
08-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Even 40 somethings like these books :thumbsup: Almost finished with twilight. I have all 4 down loaded to my kindle and ready to read. I have heard so many bad things about the 4th book I'm afraid to read it. I think the harshest review I read for the 4th book was the writer questioning if it was written by the same author.

I've heard of the older fans, yet you are my first meeting... Aside from the Twilight Moms... which I tend to avoid if I can. My brief encounter with them left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I honestly can't say enough good things about the first 6 chapters of Breaking Dawn. It felt like I was reading a continuation of the books. Things start to slowly change around chapter 7 -- at least they did for me -- I actually agree with that harsh review. By the end of the book I kept checking to make sure this was really it, because for me it was like reading mediocre fan fiction. I was totally let down.

I think for me the biggest problem was that she kept with the original story she wanted to tell right after the first book, but then she ended up writing New Moon and Eclipse, and really, the things that happen in those two books changed SO much, and affected so much, I just don't see how her original ending could work... She found a way to write it though, and alot of people love it, and alot of people don't. I really wish I could be one of the people who love the ending.

Let me know what you think of New Moon and Eclipse. Eclipse is easily my favourite book out of the series...

Nan101
08-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Just read today that there is a book 5 in the works for the Twilight series. Midnight Sun. It's Edwards point of view during the first book.

rachejm
08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I am currently reading "Love in the Present Tense", haven't really got into it yet as I've only read a couple of chapters. Have just finished reading "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" because I saw a trailer for the film and thought I'd read the book first - it made me cry, very sad. A couple of weeks ago I finished "The Book Thief" which I loved but its another really sad ending.

Also this summer I have read "Wuthering Heights", "Jane Eyre" (again) and "Northanger Abbey". I finally finished "Lord of the Rings" too, bit hard going but worth it in the end.

VictoiseC
08-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Yup, nice thread! I stopped reading for a while, quite a while and I used to read nonstop since I was phew, 12? My family used to yell at me I read so much! ? I'm also a writer (who stopped writing for a while) so I am VERY HAPPY to be reading again I'll tell you. I started with the Da Vinci Code which really moves along and being a Catholic, was quite an eye opener. I just started Jonathan Franzen The Corrections which has a whopper of a beginning but I don't know if I'll stay with it. I recently met this incredible woman, Sylvia Jorrin who has a sheep farm near me. She wrote this book Sylvia's Farm and she read at my lys. What great reading, wow.
Check this picture of her out: http://www.sylviasfarm.com/

I've always wanted to read To Kill A Mockingbird and has anyone ever dare read In Cold Blood? I'm also reading a book on Tango !
ha. Someone keeps leaving books in my lobby (must work for a publisher or something) so I'm reading things I normally wouldn't.
It's fun! Oh yeah, and ALSO reading Frank McCourt (who I really didn't care much about but I was wrong) 'Tis (a memoir)
He's funny.

Northknitter
08-29-2008, 07:50 AM
I want that Cashmere goat for a pet...adorable.....thanks for sharing...

Northknitter
08-29-2008, 07:55 AM
I read a story line and think...wow, this will be a great read..but, then, it just looses its interest.
does anyone else have this problem. End up with many unread books...
Kite Runner was good.
Garden of Lies was good.
Pillars of the earth...lost the story line, not finished.
is it me?

losnana
08-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I just finished Moloka'i, by Alan Brennert. It is about a young Hawaiian girl who develops leprosy in the 1890's and is sent to the settlement on Moloka'i. Really, really good.

miccisue
08-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Yup, nice thread! I stopped reading for a while, quite a while and I used to read nonstop since I was phew, 12? My family used to yell at me I read so much! ? I'm also a writer (who stopped writing for a while) so I am VERY HAPPY to be reading again I'll tell you. I started with the Da Vinci Code which really moves along and being a Catholic, was quite an eye opener. I just started Jonathan Franzen The Corrections which has a whopper of a beginning but I don't know if I'll stay with it. I recently met this incredible woman, Sylvia Jorrin who has a sheep farm near me. She wrote this book Sylvia's Farm and she read at my lys. What great reading, wow.
Check this picture of her out: http://www.sylviasfarm.com/

I've always wanted to read To Kill A Mockingbird and has anyone ever dare read In Cold Blood? I'm also reading a book on Tango !
ha. Someone keeps leaving books in my lobby (must work for a publisher or something) so I'm reading things I normally wouldn't.
It's fun! Oh yeah, and ALSO reading Frank McCourt (who I really didn't care much about but I was wrong) 'Tis (a memoir)
He's funny.
I LOVE To Kill A Mockingbird!!!!!!!!!!!! I read In Cold Blood many, many years ago, when I was a teenager. Really disturbing. I'm probably going to sound weird, but I've read more than my share of true crime stories. I don't think it's so much the gruesome aspect as it is wondering how these people functioned in society without being detected...and in most cases, most people thinking they were "normal". Ted Bundy was one of those. One of the scariest books I've ever read was "Helter Skelter" about the Manson family. I didn't sleep soundly for 3 weeks after reading it. In the book it talks about how (before they committed all those murders) they used to do what they called "creepy crawling". They'd just pick out a house at random, find a way in, and crawl all through the house just to see if they could do it without getting caught. When asked what they would have done if they'd gotten caught, they said they'd have killed the people in the house. Scared the bejeebers out of me!!!!!!!!!!!
I've read Gone With The Wind a gazillion times, the same with Mockingbird. I do a lot of re-reading books.....yet I still end up spending a small fortune on new ones (our library never gets up to date stuff). Go figure....:teehee:

Duessa
08-30-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm now adding a few books to my current reads (text books. lol)

The book Theif
The Price of salt
I read it but I don't get it
You gotta be the book

All of these are quite good right now.

lactosefree
08-31-2008, 12:40 AM
I've been on a reading kick since I took some time off from knitting (long story). Books that I've finished recently:

Mists of Avalon - I thought it was okay. Well written, but some of the characters really pissed me off - which I guess is a sign of a good author, but it was frustrating at times to read.

Lean Mean Thirteen - Quick easy read. I've never read the series before - my co-worker let me borrow it when she knew I wanted something light and fun.

The Other Boleyn Girl - Just finished that a few days ago. Quick easy read. Dragged at some parts but for the most part it was interesting. I want to see the movie now, but I heard it was terrible compared to the book.

After hearing much hype about Twilight, I borrowed it from a friend and started reading it this morning. I'm about half way done with it and am very curious as to how she'll end the book. I had no idea it was series until I read this thread.

zkimom
08-31-2008, 08:12 AM
After taking this book out of the library and then returning unread more times than I like to admit, I'm finally getting into Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

It's a daunting task as it's a very long book and I can only manage a few pages a night. I may have to buy my own copy and return the library one as I think it will take me more than 3 weeks to read at this pace!

Anyone else try this book?

InterNette
08-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Well I thought I ordered an audio book from Amazon but a paperback showed up. So as much as my reading time has really become my knitting time I guess I will have to take a knitting break. I am reading "Mountain of Silence" and I also recieved the knitalong book I saw advertised somewhere.

ladyjessica
08-31-2008, 11:14 PM
I am still looking for the perfect book to fill the hole that finishing the Harry Potter series has left me...

I'm with you there. I'm working on the Twilight series, and while I'm enjoying it tremendously, it's just not the same.

"After taking this book out of the library and then returning unread more times than I like to admit, I'm finally getting into Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke."

(I don't know how to quote 2 posts)

I have had this book since it was published and I still haven't read it. :teehee: I've tried 2 or 3 times, but so far I haven't been successful. When I'm finished Twilight, though, I'm thinking of trying again. How far in do you have to get before it gets interesting? :whistle:

Krystal
09-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Just read today that there is a book 5 in the works for the Twilight series. Midnight Sun. It's Edwards point of view during the first book.

Well, the 5th book has been "Put on hold indefinitely" . The first 7 chapters (I think 7) were leaked online... combine this with all the negativity surrounding Breaking Dawn and Stephanie Meyer pretty much had it. She's pretty pissed off right now, and decided not to continue writing Midnight Sun at this point, because if she did she'd probably change the whole ending because she is so angry... And since it's a companion to Twilight, that really would not work.

She ended up just throwing the 7 leaked chapters up on her website (www.stepheniemeyer.com) in a moment of defeat. They aren't edited, it is merely a partial draft... But it is really good.

So the 2009 release for the 5th book is now pretty much a bust it seems. Tho there is always hope she will regroup and get it out by then, but it seems unlikely. After the year she has had, and the pressure surrounding her two book releases and the movie now coming out in November, I don't blame her for needing a MUCH needed break from the Twilight universe.

I just hope she does eventually write it, because what I have read of Midnight Sun, it truly made up for Breaking Dawn... and in some ways, made the parts of Breaking Dawn that I hated so much, actually acceptable... Edward's point of view, is much too valuable to not be written.

Shandeh
09-01-2008, 03:18 AM
This past week, I finally finished reading the last book in the "Cat Who....." series by Lilian Jackson Braun.

I've read all 29 books so far. And I'm waiting for book 30 to be released next year. I really enjoy reading that series. In fact, I think I'll read them all again, just for fun. :)

I told a friend at church about the series, and she told me about a series she has read as well. So, now we are trading books.

Here's what she gave me to read:
Crewel World (http://www.amazon.com/Crewel-Needlecraft-Mystery-Monica-Ferris/dp/0425167801), by Monica Ferris
It's a needlecraft mystery! :teehee:

remclave
09-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I am currently reading a book that was written by one of our own very special knitters. She's in her 80s, is almost completely blind and still knits stunning sweaters that are donated for children in need.

The book is Diary of a Wartime Traveler, 1941-1945 by Margaret B. McCollough (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1401034179/ref=ed_oe_p_olp)

For those who may be interested, originals can be ordered from www.Xlibris.com (http://www.Xlibris.com) or just write to Orders@Xlibris.com. An excerpt can be read here (http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/book_excerpt.asp?bookid=13203).

HollyP
09-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I just finished Between the Tide by someone with three names:teehee:. I am at school killing time between classes and the book is at home. It was good. I've read better but I've definitely read worse!

Shandeh
09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I finished Crewel World - it was a fun read!

Now I'm reading "Thunder Heights" by Phyllis Whitney.
I have a HUGE stack of paperbacks by Phyllis Whitney. They were at my local discount book store, for about a dollar each. I'm really enjoying reading all of them.

Mirl56
09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Right now I'm reading "Mr Darcy and Me", a light humerous story of a modern woman who travels to England to take a Jane Austin Book Tour of places she lilved and based her novels on. She meets a man she just can't stand who is also in the tour group. When she sleeps, she keeps dreaming of actually meeting Mr. Darcy, of course she doesn't realzie she is dreaming these meetings, and of course she doesn't realize the nasty man on the bus will end up being her real life Mr. Darcy (at least it's obvious to me).

I'm listening to books on tape of "What the Dead Know" - this is interesting as it takes palce in Baltimore Co, MD which is where I live. Funny to read about the cop who had breakfast at the Bel Lock Dinner and lives in Parkvillle, and the missing sisters from Woodlawn who disappeared from Security Sq Mall. (It's fiction, not true crimes).

saracidaltendencies
09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
In my experience, knitters adore reading and if you do, I invite you to share what you have enjoyed lately. Recommendations can be a great way to discover new or not so new must reads. I am just starting Water for Elephants. What are you reading?
-loo:waving:

Oooh, I loved that book! I read it quite a few months ago. I first picked it up because the cover looked intriguing (I admit, I judge books by their covers...lol). After reading the description on the back and flipping through a few pages, I had to have it. I finished it in 2 days! I let my mom borrow it but she hasn't read it yet....I gotta get on her again about that...lol

Crycket
09-05-2008, 03:40 PM

I think we have a copy of Anne the Sequel signed by Megan Follows....I know I had her sign my copy of the first book in the series. It was good too cause she happened to be on the cover! All the rest I have are illustraited...!

Knitting_Guy
09-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm curently re-reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

Shandeh
09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm curently re-reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
I have that series! It's cool. :thumbsup:

I just finished "Thunder Heights", and I'm working on another Phyllis Whitney book now. It's not as good. I might just put it aside and try something different.