PDA

View Full Version : Help with yarn

Knittinicole
08-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I am a new knitter and even newer sock knitter. I am currently knitting my first one. I am using something called bamboo wool and it is very soft. I am not a big fan of wool, I perfer very soft yarns which I understand are not always the best for socks. I was in Hobby Lobby the other day and saw that they have alot of new yarn in since i have been there. I found a very pretty sport weight veragated yarn that i grabbed, I was in a hurry. Later I read it more carefully and it is 100% cotton. Is this a bad idea for socks? If so what can I use it for besides dish cloths?
They had tons of I love this yarn in! I think that stuff is awesome for an affordable yarn. They also had "I love this cotton" and "I love this sport weight"!
Thanks for any help!

Jan in CA
08-08-2008, 07:17 PM
It would help if you'd give us the name of the yarns. They aren't all created equal. ;)

brittyknits
08-08-2008, 08:09 PM
I personally wouldn't use 100% cotton for socks. It has no natural elasticity.

suzeeq
08-08-2008, 09:18 PM
If it's Sugar and cream, that's nice yarn, but not so good for socks; better use it for dishcloths. HL has lots of new sock yarn though - Sockease, Heart and Sole and Kroy sock. And you can use the coupon to get it cheaper; you'll need 2 of the 50 gm balls for a pair, and 1 of the Sockease.

Knittinicole
08-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the help. The name of the cotton yarn I bought was Sinfonia 100% mercerized cotton.

suzeeq
08-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't think that will make good washcloths, I believe the mercerization keeps it from absorbing water well.

Jan in CA
08-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't think that will make good washcloths, I believe the mercerization keeps it from absorbing water well.

Actually it doesn't seem to affect it at all. I use Tahki Cotton Classic which is mercerized and it's a great dishcloth. My favorites actually! I can't speak for all mercerized cottons of course, but I know this one is fine. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't use that for socks though, Nicole. Most cotton sock yarns have a blend of other fibers that help them to have more elasticity.

suzeeq
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Okay, I thought I read somewhere that mercerized cotton doesn't absorb well.

If it does, you could make a hand towel if you have enough.

Becky Morgan
08-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Market bag, small purse, slouch sock tops (I make a lot of sock *tops* because I wear through the feet...they stitch onto no-show cotton socks nicely), sweatbands...?