PDA

View Full Version : Austin the Bear

blueygh2
08-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Hello.

Regarding Austin's accident (son of rabbitrescuer), linnypin thought of donating a bear pattern she designed to him. Now she wonders if enough people would knit that bear. It doesn't take a lot of yarn and could be used to use up spare yarn.

:cheering:

Any reactions?

Mulderknitter
08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm sure there would be more than enough people to flood the hospital with bears!

Tropicflower24
08-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I'd love to..... It depends on how dificult it would be though. By next week I should be finished with my market bag order, and could knit. :)

Crycket
08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
for me it is more about the look of the bear....I would need to see it first!

I know that sounds bad...but I really am picky with stuffed toys....

Don't know why!

auntcrafty
08-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I would be willing to try to do one. Is there any way to see a picture? More people might be interested if we could see a picture of a completed bear.

Thanks so much!

KnittinMitchie
08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
FYI: after Austin first went into the hospital I called and asked about sending a blanket. I was told that items need to be easily cleaned and washed due to the fact that people with burns need a very clean envirement to prevent infection.

Just thought I would share so you could keep that in mind as you choose your yarn for the bear.

blueygh2
08-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Rabbit said that the stuffed/knitted animals can be made of anything so long as they're inside plastic bags. So there is no worry about the choice of yarn.

susi
08-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Rabbit said that the stuffed/knitted animals can be made of anything so long as they're inside plastic bags. So there is no worry about the choice of yarn.

i'd definatly give it ago as long as it wasnt to hard. for some reason my knitting skills have gone down the toilet recently. simple i'm ok with though. if you can let me know asap what pattern is as i will be ordering yarn tomorrow (my lys does a monthy order, if i dont order tomorrow i have to wait a month). sorry i just saw this thred.

linnypin
08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I wanted to help rabbit and her family, I had a spare knitted teddy bear design and wanted to donate this pattern for Austin. So please take a look on my website linnypindesigns.co.uk and hit austin the bear. Please let me know what you think.He can be knitted in any yarn you have going spare, but just use the correct needle size for the yarn you will be working with. If all goes well the patterns and instuctions will follow.Hope you like him lets see how many children will get a new Austin teddy bear.My size teddy bear only takes 100grms

Zebragirlnz
08-15-2008, 06:33 PM
He's a cutie! I really like him! I would definitely knit one!

Crycket
08-15-2008, 06:46 PM
He is definatly cute...I will knit one!

auburnchick
08-15-2008, 06:50 PM
FYI: after Austin first went into the hospital I called and asked about sending a blanket. I was told that items need to be easily cleaned and washed due to the fact that people with burns need a very clean envirement to prevent infection.

Just thought I would share so you could keep that in mind as you choose your yarn for the bear.

Rabbit told me that patients are allowed to select a gift when they leave. Many of the children are considered out-patient. I know this to be true because one of my pastors had a baby last year who has been traveling to a Shriner's across the state for various surgeries to correct some birth defects.

The bears that we make won't necessarily have to be placed in a bag. They might wind up as those other gifts to patients.

Linny,

I LOVE the bear! I don't know how you're going to provide the pattern. Will you be PM'ing it to interested people?

If so, I would love to give it a go.

Thanks a bunch!

:hug:

Jan in CA
08-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh my gosh it's adorable! I would be glad to knit one and may have friends who are willing. The problem is I can't do it immediately...does that matter?

Also..I think it would be a good idea to clearly state your 'rules' for using this pattern so we don't have any mix-ups. Such as is it only to be used for charity, etc. ;)

momwolf
08-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh he issssssssssss darling:woohoo:I will make one
http://linnypindesigns.co.uk/default.aspx

mks22300
08-15-2008, 07:25 PM
He is soooo cute!

Ellieblue
08-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Count me in I would love to make an Austin bear,:star:

Debbie
08-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I want to make one !!!!

Freyja
08-15-2008, 08:29 PM
What a wonderful idea!!!!
Is there a time frame?
Where do we send Austin when he is finished?

tokmom
08-15-2008, 09:13 PM
It's adorable! I will give it a go, if it's easy enough. I have never made a stuffed toy, so this is a new adventure.

auntcrafty
08-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Wow! What a cute bear! I would love a chance to try to knit one.

susi
08-16-2008, 07:53 AM
he's adorable. i'll definatly have ago as well. i can do it staright away, because i have a lot on renovating the house.

but would definatly put all other knitting projects on hold to have ago at it.

better not let ds see what im making as he'll want one as well hehe

linnypin
08-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi everybody

Austin the bear pattern and full instructions are now ready. I know there has been interest and I would love lots of people to knit him with their spare yarn. To keep control of this pattern I would like you to send an email requesting a copy, I will respond asap.
send your email to
linnypindesigns@tiscali.co.uk

So come on all you lovely kind hearted knitters have a go at Knitting Austin the bear .
This little guy is not for re-sale, but if you find any way to raise money knitting him which would help this cause feel free to do so.
Let me know if you have any problems with my pattern, its been a bit of a rush!

Linda (Linnypin)

losnana
08-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Are we allowed to knit him for other hospitals?

ritaw
08-16-2008, 02:09 PM
I have also emailed you . I would love to help and make a couple at least . :)

linnypin
08-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi everybody,

Iv'e had enquiries regarding the use of this pattern.
The idea was to help rabbit and her familly.
If rabbit is happy to allow the pattern to be used to help other causes thats fine, knitting for personal use is of course ok.
I will wait for rabbit to contact me before I send any response to the emails iv'e received so far.
Please bear with me

Linda

momwolf
08-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Linda could you post the size of the bear and what weight yarn you used and the needle size.:teehee:

Jan in CA
08-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the pattern! I will try to get to it as soon as I can, but I have other things I need to do right now and with all those little pieces the bear will take me awhile. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/animal/bear.gif

Crycket
08-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I will throw him in next for queueing...

I will give it a go for sure *smiles*...

The nice thing about bears is your really don't have to use a specific needle...just the right needle for your yarn weight..Use anything from fingering (I wouldn't personally try for smaller than that) to Worsted....

A good point I have discovered while making bears is to use a needle size just slightly smaller then the gauge listed for your yarn actually....(if it wants a 4mm, go anywhere from 3.25 - 3.75) That way your stuffing won't show through....

According to a bear book I have at home...it says it is harder to seem natural fibres, so no natural is better (I believe this has more to do with extra curling but still....good to know)

Apparently too...anything over worsted weight isn't good...I found this out when I made Big Little Bear (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Crycket/molly-toby--jake-3) It isn't apparent but his stuffing shows through everywhere....(this is another tip from The Knitted Teddy)

iwouldratherbeknitting
08-17-2008, 01:43 AM
I want a copy of the bear pattern too- I tried to send an email- to:
but, I got an error message and couldn't send the email.

Thanks!

When my hand gets well (torn tendon) I'll work on knitting up a bear... and see if I can manage to make the cute bear.

Jan in CA
08-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Here is the corrected address. It looks the same, but it should work this time.

susi
08-17-2008, 04:20 AM
when i couldnt get the e mail through yesterday i pm'd you. hope that was ok. i was,n't bright enough to think of the fact there were to many co.uk's in there :aww: .

ritaw
08-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks Linnypin . Will get to it in the next week or so . :)

linnypin
08-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi there

I knitted Austin the Bear in DK wool on a 4mm needle. My Bears measured 25cm lying down and 17cm sitting. He can be knitted in any yarn as long as you use the correct needle size for the yarn you are working with. I hope this helps.

Linda

momwolf
08-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Thank You:hug: And for donating this bear to Austin:muah:

KnittinMitchie
08-17-2008, 09:41 AM
If I can find time I may knit a bear. He is cute Linny.

gingerbread
08-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Oh, I just saw Austin the bear :heart::heart: I sent you a e-mail I would love to knit him for charity. I have some nice white yarn and with a blue bow can't wait to make him or her.:roflhard:

Thank you so much for making the pattern for everyone to knit.:thumbsup:

Teri :waving:

maniago
08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Did I miss the link to the picture?

linnypin
08-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi all,
To see the picture of Austin the bear please go to my website.
linnypindesigns.co.uk

Thanks Linda

Tropicflower24
08-17-2008, 02:58 PM
The direct link to the bear is: http://linnypindesigns.co.uk/linny.aspx

Doodknitwit
08-17-2008, 10:00 PM
I wondered if you rec'd ..
I want to make one also..:blooby:

Eekee
08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Also wondering if you've received my e-mail. I can't wait to knit the bear!

linnypin
08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
HIi there,
It seems to me that I have not recieved your emails, I have responded to all the ones that have arrived. Please email me again
linnypindesigns@tiscali.co.uk. will get Austin's pattern to you.

X Linda

KnittinMitchie
08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Linny I emailed you

susi
08-19-2008, 03:08 PM
i've e mailed you as well

linnypin
08-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi all
I have knitted another Austin the bear in boucle yarn, he is twice as big using the same pattern, I hope this gives you all encouragement to use up your spare yarn to knit him.Take a little peek at him on my web site linnypindesigns.co.uk

X Linda

gingerbread
08-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I also re-emailed you. Love that Austin the bear.:heart::heart:

KnittinMitchie
08-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi alls
After talking to Linnypin we both agreed that austin the Bear needed his own photo thread so I've set one up for him at flickr. here (http://www.flickr.com/groups/austinthebear/) is the link to the page.

tucsonmom
08-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Linny,
Received the pattern a few days ago and started it today. I'm looking forward to making this and sending along. Thanks so much for your generosity in donating the pattern. :cool:

tucsonmom

susi
08-20-2008, 04:59 AM
linda

i recieved the pattern last night, thank you so much. the plan is to get started next week when i've got a few on the go done and dusted. i cant wait to start.

do you sell the kits for some of the other toys, ds has fallen in love with a couple, and as christmas is coming up it would be perfect.

thank youa gain :woot:

susi

gingerbread
08-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Hi again linnypin,
I just sent you another email hope this one gets to you.
This is going to be my very first bear.

:waving:

Jaxhil
08-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I emailed you, too, Linda~ I :heart: Austin the Bear, I can't wait to knit him! :p I've never knitted a stuffed toy, though, I hope he comes out as cute as your examples did!

Thanks so much. I can't wait to start :knitting:him!

Karina
08-22-2008, 08:31 AM
I love your bear. Have sent you an email and will start as soon as I get the pattern.

ritaw
08-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Linnypin can i just ask where can i get the eyes from and what size will i need .
Thanks Rita

Karina
08-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Got my pattern yesterday. will cast on this afternoon. Thanks Linda.

gingerbread
08-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Linda, I am still trying to get the pattern.:cry: I just sent you another email :) hope this one gets to you.

:waving:

susi
08-24-2008, 04:13 AM
My first austin is done :woot: . just asked my mum to sew him up and i'll get some piccys done. i hate sewing up, usually graft so this one is all mums lol.

im just going to finish the baby jumper im working on the no 2 will be started (this one will be for austin's hospital, 1st one i did to learn how to do it, kinda try before you buy kinda thing lol).

linda, he's adorable though, thank you again for the pattern. i am planning to make a fair few for charity (and me he's sooo cute hehe)

linnypin
08-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Well done, that was really fast going. Did you find the pattern okay to follow. Can't wait to see him finished and a picture of him. What type of wool did you use and what size needles. Really excited to see your Austin Bear

Thanks Linda

susi
08-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Well done, that was really fast going. Did you find the pattern okay to follow. Can't wait to see him finished and a picture of him. What type of wool did you use and what size needles. Really excited to see your Austin Bear

Thanks Linda
i used a chunky yarn that i had in stash. i didnt quite have enough so the ears and paws are a mohair brown, i made it 4 strands thick to make it a chunky yarn as well. i used 6.5mm needles.
i cant wait to see him finished as well, i just got to find someshere to buy the eyes etc now. i cant buy stuffing so i am planning to buy a cheap pillow and tear it apart lol. imprevising wonderfully
i'll post a picture when he's done.

i fitted him inbetween other projects, i tend to knit a fair bit everyday so he was a really fast knit. the plan is to have another one done by the end of next week, but tahts a tough call as i have about 6 things to finish off as well lol. i can but try
thanks again for the pattern, il ove him :happydance:

KnittinMitchie
08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
My first austin is done :woot: . just asked my mum to sew him up and i'll get some piccys done. i hate sewing up, usually graft so this one is all mums lol.

im just going to finish the baby jumper im working on the no 2 will be started (this one will be for austin's hospital, 1st one i did to learn how to do it, kinda try before you buy kinda thing lol).

linda, he's adorable though, thank you again for the pattern. i am planning to make a fair few for charity (and me he's sooo cute hehe)

Don't forget to post your picture to the group (http://flickr.com/groups/austinthebear/)for Austin the Bear :)

linnypin
08-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi All

As It was Austin's BIRTHDAY Yesterday, It got me thinking. How are you are all doing with knitting your Austin the Bear. I know Susi has knitted hers and waiting for her mum to sew him up. So Come on (ladies And maybe some Gents) out there let us Know ,on how you are getting along.

X Linda

momwolf
08-28-2008, 10:39 AM
It's hard :thud:so many little pieces.But I'm gonna keep plugging alone.

susi
08-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Mums promised me she'll sew it up next week, if she dosent i will. im not as good as she is as i dont have the petience to sex things up (i graft knitting rather than sew it).

i am casting on no 2 tonight :woohoo:

take your time, just do 1 piece at a time then stick it away. mine flew because i sit and knit on the phone to dp every night for about 3 hours. so 3 evenings it was done (took me longer as i had to do the ears and paws twice as i ran out of yarn and had to substitute for another type).

linny, i'm going to get a few done and stick them all in teh post to austin's hospital at the same time. seems silly posting 1 at a time. just thought i'd let you know, as you said its fine to knit austin for other charity's im going to be making some to go to algeria along with other baby bits and pieces. he's going to be one very international bear lol

thanks again for sharing, he's soo cute, and yes ds has asked me to make one for him lol

tucsonmom
08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I'll echo Momwolf's sentiments, it is hard...However, the pattern is VERY easy to follow, lots of little peices...but thats OK...what made it hard for me...is I'm not a very skilled knitter...and the purl increases at the end...OY! I finally practiced them on scrap yard.. (after frogging several attempts, hehehe) My husband says I'm a stubborn woman, and won't let a pattern beat me, lol. Anyways, I've got about half the peices done...they are coming along pretty quickly now. Hoping to get it done over the weekend.
Thanks again for donating the pattern Linny.

tucsonmom

linnypin
08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Hope you are not finding it to hard, these small pieces give him ,his shape. I knit mine on childrens needles,as there are not alot of sts on most rows,they are easier to handle.

Keep up the goodwork

Thanks Linda

KnittinMitchie
08-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I am very excited to see everyone's bears. I have the pattern too but am busy with a good number of projects right now pluse I've got Christmas knitting to get done.

linnypin
09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi all,

How are you all doing knitting Austin the bear?

X Linda

auburnchick
09-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi all,

How are you all doing knitting Austin the bear?

X Linda

I haven't had a chance to get started yet due to some knitting commitments, but I plan to very soon.

susi
09-02-2008, 06:19 AM
head is done on no 2. i just havebnt had the chance to get the body done. usually knit whilst on the phone to dp, and now cant get my headphones to work on skype so itd the good old landline. and cant knit whilst on that. i'd be on no 3 by now other wise.

i did start sewing up the head myself, wow thats hard to do.

i've done the ears though. but im sure i've not done it right. goodness i didnt know how much i hate sewing up and how much i appreciete my mu mdoing it :teehee:

farmgirl
09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
I have only finished the first 2 pieces of the head. I did not have time to knit yesterday as my family thinks they need clean clothes and a clean(er) house. I'll take it to work today & work on it if I get to take a lunch!

Crycket
09-02-2008, 10:53 AM
He is next on my list after redoing my knitted wedding garter! I have some left over Grey mellowspun....looking forward to it...

Thank you a million times over again !

new_knitter
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Linny,

I emailed you today for the pattern. I haven't ever tried a toy before.... haven't knitted much actually, but would like to try if it isn't too late.

Thanks!

Crycket
09-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Hope you are not finding it to hard, these small pieces give him ,his shape. I knit mine on childrens needles,as there are not alot of sts on most rows,they are easier to handle.

Keep up the goodwork

Thanks Linda

Working mine on some Dpns with point protectors on one end *winks*
They are much easier then trying to deal with long ends!

Crycket
09-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok...

Here is my first Austin bear.... :woot:

linnypin
09-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Well done he looks fantastic, have you added him to the gallery yet. I think yours will be the first. How long did it take you to complete him , I think you have made him in no time at all,very quick.
Did you have any problems with the pattern?
Your knitting is very neat are you pleased with him.
I wonder how everybodyelse is doing?

Thankyou for making him I think he is lovely

X Linda

lynn893
09-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I did not have time to knit yesterday as my family thinks they need clean clothes and a clean(er) house.

:roflhard: I'm having the same issue :roflhard:

Don't they know that knitting should take priority over all else? :knitting: hehehe!

I've just emailed for the pattern, am going to go down to my storage and see what yarns I have available!

Linda, you mentioned this only uses about 100g? Is that right?

Thanks!

Ok...

Wow, he's gorgeous Crycket! You work fast! :woot:

Crycket
09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Not too long to work...three days I think? I started mid week and worked til Saturday. The longest part of the whole thing was sewing him up. The pieces work up super fast cause they are so small.

I think next time I will work him in something fluffier. I have some red heart plush I may try....

I need to do a project in between him and starting a new one...(Actually I have about 3 projects waiting to be finished with non knitting actions - sewing in lining, sewing in elastic etc...)

I will post when I finish a new one...

PS Linnypin...anyway we will be able to link the pattern in Ravelry?

new_knitter
09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Crycket,

Your bear looks great! I know it will be appreciated! Hope I get my pattern soon....

linnypin
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi there,

I had e-mailed you with the pattern, have tried again tonight so hope to you get it this time.

X Linda

The.Knitter
09-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Crycket, your bear is really cute! Great job!!!

lynn893
09-07-2008, 06:03 PM
I got the pattern! :yay:

I can't believe how many little pieces there are! I hope it's not too fiddly..... and I notice the 'make up' instructions states 'felted' pieces.... ummmmm, I've never felted before (or can you purchase felted pieces?) :aww: :knitting:

linnypin
09-07-2008, 11:39 PM
You really do not have to use felt, the idea was to use up your spare yarn and materials to make him. Lots of small pieces but fun to knit them.

thanx Linda.

RowenaH
09-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Ok...

He's so cute! Well done you! :woohoo: I will get round to making one when I've actually finished off some of the projects I've got hanging around that I haven't bothered with for a long time! :knitting:

new_knitter
09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I got my pattern! Thank you Lynne! I am looking forward to starting him when I finish the felted clogs I am working on. Thanks again!

linnypin
09-09-2008, 05:38 PM
hi all,

Just wondering how many of you might be knitting Austin the bear today ?

susi
09-09-2008, 05:45 PM
hi all,

Just wondering how many of you might be knitting Austin the bear today ?
yep i am stillll doing number 2. i'm half way through the last part of back body (i think its back now i've said that :teehee: ).

havent had enough hours in the day recently, i WILL get it done and sewn up and posted to austins hospital, i will i will i will hehe

tucsonmom
09-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm done! :cheering: Took me longer than I anticipated ( life kept getting in the way) I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to resize (in other words, tomorrow, lol) Can someone please PM me with the address where to send Austin the bear? Thanks :)

tucsonmom

KnittinMitchie
09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
there is a flickr group for Austin the Bear.
http://flickr.com/groups/austinthebear/ and then you can just copy the link and post it

tucsonmom
09-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Here's the link to my pic at the flicker group. My yahoo nick is criter202..just FYI but thats just another one of my aliases. (not only am I a mom as the nick here states...but I'm also owned by several criters...2 cats, 2 fish, 1 dog and a ferret lol)

http://flickr.com/groups/austinthebear/pool/

tucsonmom

Crycket
09-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Here's the link to my pic at the flicker group. My yahoo nick is criter202..just FYI but thats just another one of my aliases. (not only am I a mom as the nick here states...but I'm also owned by several criters...2 cats, 2 fish, 1 dog and a ferret lol)

http://flickr.com/groups/austinthebear/pool/

tucsonmom

Ha ha...he is a big fuzz ball...I love it!

susi
09-10-2008, 05:20 AM
I'm done! :cheering: Took me longer than I anticipated ( life kept getting in the way) I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to resize (in other words, tomorrow, lol) Can someone please PM me with the address where to send Austin the bear? Thanks :)

tucsonmom
he's georgous, what type of yarn is that. i havent made a toy before so clueless on fuzzy yarns?
i have just about used up my stash now, so must (no really must), buy more yarn cloud9

RowenaH
09-10-2008, 07:40 AM
I've not started a bear yet - got too many other things to do just now but I'll do one definitely.:X:

My mum was more than happy with the idea of doing a couple of fundraising things with the bears we make - i.e. maybe a raffle with a bear as the prize or a 'Guess the name of the bear' competition. We'd charge a small fee for tickets/entry and then the winner gets the bear and the money will be sent to Rabbitrescuer to pass on to the hospital where Austin's receiving his treatment.

One of the ladies in my knitting group is keen to knit one. Got the group meeting tomorrow so I'll remind everyone then.

Loving the ones made so far. I love the grey one best but the fuzzy one is fantastic! Dunno if I'd have the patience to make one in the eyelash yarn though!

tucsonmom
09-10-2008, 09:39 AM
he's georgous, what type of yarn is that. i havent made a toy before so clueless on fuzzy yarns?
i have just about used up my stash now, so must (no really must), buy more yarn cloud9

:aww: Thanks, he did turn out really well. My fourteen year old son keeps trying to take it into his room. I've promised I'd make him one. I made him with Caron Simply Soft and Lion Brand Fun Fur, size 4 needles. Being both black and fuzzy, I found that using one of our camping "headlights" (a camplight that straps around your head) helps ALOT. Not exactly an attractive look, but it did help, lol.

tucsonmom

HollyP
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I love both of your bears! Cryket I might have missed it what yarn did you use?
I have had all my pieces knit since late last week. I just need to sew him up.

Did anyone else have problems printing the pages with the pieces labeled? I tried several time to figure it out. No matter how I sized the info when it would go to print it would be way to big. My page would print with one curve of one piece. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks!

Crycket
09-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I love both of your bears! Cryket I might have missed it what yarn did you use?
I have had all my pieces knit since late last week. I just need to sew him up.

I used some left over Mary Maxim Mellowspun (DK weight) I had tons of it left after making a skirt that called for 10 50gm balls and I only ended up using 5 (or something silly like that)

I really want to try a fuzzy yarn....but I really have to make a move on like 5 mostly finished projects before I do anything else....

Ellieblue
09-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Yes, that happened to me too. Then I noticed a window in the display which I made smaller and that did the trick.

new_knitter
09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I've been looking at the bear pattern. I have never done anything like this before and may have a couple of questions... but first I need to get some yarn... I didn't have anything bear worthy... Hope to get started soon!

blueygh2
09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I have started the bear. For some reason the parts don't look exactly the way they should, but I don't worry too much about that now, I'll worry when it doesn't fit when sewing together,...

susi
09-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I have started the bear. For some reason the parts don't look exactly the way they should, but I don't worry too much about that now, I'll worry when it doesn't fit when sewing together,...

:roflhard: you are as bad as i am, i kinda hope for the best and see what happens at the end

blueygh2
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
:roflhard: you are as bad as i am, i kinda hope for the best and see what happens at the end

Well, I don't wanna frog it, so I just leave it that way and hope that it will be alright... If not, then not,....

linnypin
09-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Hello
I sorry if my pattern is causing problems, but it is a good pattern, let me know

Tropicflower24
09-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey Linny, could you PM the pattern to me? :D

new_knitter
09-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Lynne, I am sure it is a great pattern. I just may need some help. I haven't knitted many things and got a little overwhelmed when I looked at the pattern... BUT I am going to start the bear tonight. I got some Bernat Soft Boucle in a softly varagated brown color.... should look nice...

susi
09-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Hello
I sorry if my pattern is causing problems, but it is a good pattern, let me know
Oh Linny the patterns easy, i do that in knitting in general not with the bear, i was ok with that. sorry the patterns georgous and i am STILLLLL waiting to get it sewn up. i just havent had time to do it myself

new_knitter
09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I began knitting my Austin the bear this morning. I am a slow purler and am having a little trouble with the purl increases, but am being persistant. I think he is going to turn out really cute in the boucle yarn I am using!

new_knitter
09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Ok I am working on part C - the front head of Austin the bear. In the directions for the 2nd row, it says to cast on 3 stitches at the beginning of that row.

I know it may be a stupid question, but I have never cast on stitches after the initial cast on.... how do I go about doing that?

Thanks for your help and patience with me!

HollyP
09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Ok I am working on part C - the front head of Austin the bear. In the directions for the 2nd row, it says to cast on 3 stitches at the beginning of that row.

I know it may be a stupid question, but I have never cast on stitches after the initial cast on.... how do I go about doing that?

Thanks for your help and patience with me!
Not a stupid question at all! Use a backwards loop cast on. Amy has a video for it under cast ons.

blueygh2
09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I used the knitted cast on. Matter of preference.
If I had a crochet hook, I could have tried the cabled cast on as well, since I find it too hard to do with the needle

susi
09-16-2008, 08:17 AM
NO i agree not a stupid question at all, we are all here to learn new things and help others with the things we know, its what KH is all about really to me.

I used cable cast on, but i actually find that the easiest cast on.

Backward loop would work just great as well :)

new_knitter
09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all of your help!

My bear is coming along! I am excited to see him all together since I have never attempted anything like this before. Good thing it is for a good cause, otherwise I would be tempted to keep him!

HollyP
09-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I am having issues with seaming. It's not the pattern at all it's my poor seaming skills. But I will prevail !

susi
09-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I am having issues with seaming. It's not the pattern at all it's my poor seaming skills. But I will prevail !
thats the trouble im having as well, im a terrible sewer. Usually deligate th ejob to my mum and tried to this time but looks like shes not going to have time to do it. so i will presivere as well and try and get it sew up looking at least a little like a bear :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
09-16-2008, 04:05 PM
the mattress stitch is a very good seaming stitch you may want to give it a try. I had to call my aunt for help on it but the results are wonderful.

linnypin
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I actually love sewing up, because you see your bear taking shape. However it has taken me the last eight years to get it right. I have some Disney monsters living in my house when I first started out, Designing Disney knitted toys, however back in them days people used to sew them up,( they would not let near them as I was so poor). However things change and when you work for yourself you just have to do it. So When i sew my toys together i use a firm back stitch , Go for it.

Thanks girls Linda

Ellieblue
09-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I used a backstitch too. Once it's stuffed, it will look just fine. It's the thought that counts lol.

new_knitter
09-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I finished knitting my bear pieces, and am ready to sew him up. Do I stuff each piece as I go, or at the end? Also, I need the address to mail my cute bear to when I am finished.

Hopefully I will have a picture soon!

KnittinMitchie
09-25-2008, 07:25 AM
to make life easy on yourself stuff as you go.
and PM'ed you the address

linnypin
09-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi there,
With this pattern you need to sew him together before stuffing him
It is much easier to match the points together and they will not be stretched, If you stuff as you go along you will stretch the bear too soon.I look forward to seeing your first knitted toy.

Linda x

new_knitter
09-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Also, I stitch him up with the yarn, right?

KnittinMitchie
09-25-2008, 12:00 PM
yup you sew him with the same yarn you knitted with.

greenwayclark
09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I've completed my bear for Austin. Do I send it to the hospital on 3229 Burnet?

KnittinMitchie
09-25-2008, 05:16 PM
You want to send the bear to the Shriner's Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio I have PM'ed you the address.

HollyP
09-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Well I finally almost finished my first bear! I actually walked away from the first one I knit and started over with a different yarn. What a huge difference! He's not perfect but still really cute! I just need to give him eyes and a nose. Hopefully I can finish tomorrow and show him off!
Right now he is sitting in my kitchen freaking out my bro's gf. She doesn't like toys w/out eyes. :teehee:

Linda thank you again for the pattern!:hug: I really love it!! I know I am going to make quite a few more!

new_knitter
09-28-2008, 11:22 AM
My bear is almost done! :woohoo: He is looking pretty good I just need to do his nose, mouth, and blankie. Picture on it's way....

new_knitter
09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Here's my bear almost finished. I am sure he isn't perfect, but I think he is turning out pretty darn cute :)

Also, I am not sure I seamed up the back after I stuffed him correctly. What kind of stitch do you use since he is right side out? Thanks Linny for the pattern, and thank everyone for your patience and answers to my questions!

KnittinMitchie
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
he is darling. VERY nice job.

RowenaH
09-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Great job! I haven't even got started on mine yet. So much for my idea of raffling him off! Think I'd be better off sending him to the hospital as well when I eventually get time to make him! I've just got so much on at the moment.

linnypin
09-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Well done he is perfect, I am so pleased you have made your first knitted toy Bear, (I would like to think my pattern and making up instructions helped). Use ladder stitch to sew his back gap up.
Really tru'ly well done.

Linda X

new_knitter
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Thank you, Linda. And yes, of course your instruction helped! Thanks again for sharing your pattern!

HollyP
09-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Newknitter what yarn did you use? He's adorable!!!

I finally finished my bear's face. I was going to wait until tomorrow to take a picture but I couldn't wait. I know he has his imperfections but I love him! He was also my first bear! I can't wait to knit another and another ( and so on).
Here he is! I used Paton's Be Mine in fuzzy yellow. I also knit him in garter stitch because the st wasn't really showing up well with this yarn.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/2903053769_b6fa42991d.jpg

linnypin
10-01-2008, 01:55 PM
He is really fantastic, well done. He should not have turned out in garter stitch, but living proof say he did. He really is a stunner and I hope you will do more.

Linda X

new_knitter
10-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Holly, your bear turned out great! I was tempted to used the purl side out for my bear, because the boucle I used really looked good on that side. I chickened out though. I used Bernat Soft Boucle for my bear, and I am sorry but I can't remember the color name - maybe Misty? It is a varigated brown color. I wanted to get him shipped off before I left for the beach tomorrow, but I am not going to make it....

Dangles
10-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Holy cute bear batman! Great job, Holly!

I finally finished my bear's face. I was going to wait until tomorrow to take a picture but I couldn't wait. I know he has his imperfections but I love him! He was also my first bear! I can't wait to knit another and another ( and so on).
Here he is! I used Paton's Be Mine in fuzzy yellow. I also knit him in garter stitch because the st wasn't really showing up well with this yarn.

RowenaH
10-05-2008, 07:11 AM
I've just started making my Austin Bear ready to be a prize in a 'Name The Bear' contest. As it's a bit difficult to send the money raised to the US, it's going to be donated to the local paediatric unit in recognition of the wonderful things done for Austin and other kids.

RowenaH
10-15-2008, 05:13 AM
My bear is now finished - just got to sew him together! Will post a piccie when he's done.

RowenaH
10-16-2008, 08:34 AM
:balloons: :woot: :happydance: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance: :woohoo: :balloons:

I've finally finished and made up my Austin Bear ready to be the prize in a competition to raise money for the local hospital in honour of Austin's courage in recovering from his burns. Finished him the day Austin was allowed home - how prophetic is that?! :think:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/RowenaH/knittingpics/bf7a21be.jpg

I'm hoping that everyone will fall in love with him and want to take him home - that way we'll get lots of entries into the competition and raise lots of money. If we're lucky, I may be able to split the proceeds between our local hospital and Shriners in Ohio. So Crossed Fingers everybody!

KnittinMitchie
10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh how wonderful. He's SO cute. I love the ribbon and feet.

linnypin
10-17-2008, 03:39 AM
He really is a cutie, let's hope he raises lots.

Linda

People are still asking for the pattern, It's great to see them finished

RowenaH
10-17-2008, 06:04 AM
He really is a cutie, let's hope he raises lots.

Linda

People are still asking for the pattern, It's great to see them finished

I'll definitely knit more bears when I get the time. He was so easy to make.

tokmom
10-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Very cute!! I can't wait to start mine. I hope it turns out as well as yours.

Crycket
10-21-2008, 09:50 AM
My Austin will finally have a home....! I am sending him off to the Hamilton CAMH (Centre for Mental Health and Addiction) silent auction! I figure it is still a hospital, helping out ppl in need!

:cheer:

blueygh2
10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm still doing the parts, found out that one ear went missing...
Already nervous to sew everything together,... it twitches in my fingers ... :D

EDIT:
Finished the parts, but I'll wait with the assembly... Did enough for today.

EDIT:

Finished the bear, but not stuffed yet, and no eyes and nose...
Everyone says he's looking good.

new_knitter
11-15-2008, 10:23 AM
My Austin Bear is finished and ready to go. I saw where he was back in school. So send the bear to the hospital still, or are we sending them to his home?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30180673@N07/3032136048/

I think he turned out pretty cute!

new_knitter
11-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Here's my Austin Bear

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/3032136048_3894c4765e.jpg?v=0

HollyP
11-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Very cute!!! I love how we are all using the same pattern but each bear has its own personality.
I've been super busy with school and put aside a partially completed bear. The piece directory is a lifesaver now that I am starting it up again.Thanks Linnypin for including it!!!

Crycket
11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Here's my Austin Bear

Well done! :cheering:

linnypin
11-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Yet again another beautiful Austin the bear "well done". I am just so pleased that you all have enjoyed making him.

Linda

Dangles
11-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Wow, how cute is he! Great work :thumbsup:

Here's my Austin Bear

blueygh2
11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
My austin is finished as well, I'm waiting for a picture... And I have already another one to knit... and another one... :D

linnypin
11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Can't wait to see him, and thankyou for all you help in setting up this thread. "Didn't we do well".

blueygh2
11-16-2008, 06:26 PM
linny, we have to thank you for your generous donation of the pattern.
It's a wonderful pattern.

sabrinasmom
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe I overlooked this.Does this bear work up good in chenille yarn? They have it for $1 a skein and I thought about the Austin Bear when I saw the yarn.

Thanks

linnypin
12-10-2008, 11:39 PM
I have crochet Austin the bear in chenille and loved the result, he is on my web site. I am sure he will look just as good knitted.

Linda

blueygh2
12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Here is my austin the bear. The stuffing shows through a bit, but the lady at the yarn shop recommended 4 mm needles for a loose knitter, so I took 3,5 mm,... doesn't seem good enough...

But everyone is amazed at it :D :aww:

linnypin
12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Gosh he is really lovely, you must be so proud of him.
You did a grand job of sewing him together, he really is a great bear
Well done!!!

Linda

kellybigeyes
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Can someone please tell me what kind of yarn is best for Austin the Bear? I have never made any knitted toys... so I don't know what yarn is best.

Thanks

HollyP
02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Kelly, I think pretty much any yarn would work. It all depends on what you want your bear to look like in the end. I knit my first Austin the bear in paton's be mine a fuzzy yarn. I have since knit (need to seam) several others in random stash yarn.