PDA

View Full Version : My mom came up with a AWESOME idea.......

Tropicflower24
08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
My mom and I were talking, and she came up with the great idea to hold a knitting class. I'm already teaching my sister, younger cousin, my mom's best friend and her (friend's) 2 daughters...... So why not? So we were talking, and going over everything I'd need money for a such, I know I could do it. So I'm getting things in order to hold that in sept.

I've got a few ideas..... But mom said that most people are going to lose intrest after 2 hours, so that is the max time.

Should I,
A. Go over c/o, knit, purl, and b/o
B Try to fit in a increase and decrease
C Just try to get the first done and see what happens.

I figured it up, and as long as I can find some people who want to learn, I'm doing good! LOL I am splurging though, and buying 10 skeins of Wool of the Andes. I hated having to learn on acrylic. But I might get some of KP's cotton yarn in case of wool allergies. Anywayz, I've gotta get. Let me know what you think!

Debkcs
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a great idea, passing on knitting to others is always good. You might want to wait on the yarn until you can ask them if they have any allergies, and save yourself some money.

Tropicflower24
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the advice!

My thought with the yarn is, I'd buy some in cotton and wool, and offer either of those. And then, what evers left over..... :teehee: I feel a need for wool pulling me towards KP quite often. I love their wool, and it's so cheap! I love Knitpicks!

HollyP
08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
That sounds like a great idea! I would stick to k, p, and bind off for the first lesson and see from there. You don't want to overload them! I've taught several people to knit. Some have picked it up remarkably quick doing increases and decreases in about an hour and others were struggling to get the knit stich down. When I taught my sister and sil to knit I used cotton. The each knit a dishcloth for their first project. On sale the yarn cost me about $ 1. Honestly I think that when learning it helps to have a set project. I learned to knit about 10 years ago and I was so bored knitting rectangle/squares. If I had knit them in cotton and was told you can use this when it is done I would have been much more enthusiastic!

Tropicflower24
08-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Honestly I think that when learning it helps to have a set project. I learned to knit about 10 years ago and I was so bored knitting rectangle/squares. If I had knit them in cotton and was told you can use this when it is done I would have been much more enthusiastic! This is my thought...... I never LEARNed, so I didn't have to do the squares, but the thought of it drives me insane. A washcloth is a good idea. Hmm..... I had been thinking like something from Purple Duckie (Randomnicole on Rav)..... You know, the washcloths that have designs that are JUST knit and purl? but I don't know if that would be a good idea if some people were faster learning than others. Hmm......

LovelyLinda
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I also agree with teaching the co, knit, purl and bo for a first lesson. Depending on how quickly each pick it up you may only get to co and knit. Focussing on a project is a great idea, especially for those who may be results oriented and like to see the fruits of their labor.

Good luck. I think its great that you're taking the time to pass on your love of knitting.

Debkcs
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
One of the women who gives classes and posts here, can't remember who , said that she cast on the first project for each person, since that was one of the most difficult and time consuming things for newbies. It may have been Sandy (Shendah). Then the student gets a feel for the knit and purl stitches before having to do something that might be really frustrating for them.

I don't mind casting on, it's the counting that bugs me.:)

Jan in CA
08-21-2008, 12:58 PM
My two cents, take it or leave it -

Don't overload them with information. I honestly think teaching just the cast on and knit stitch is enough for a two hour span on the first day. The knit stitch is the easiest one and it's a good one for learning to hold the needles and yarn and practicing keeping the tension right. For homework then can practice all this.

Second class teach purling and bind off and how the two stitches can work together in combination (rib, seed, stockinette). Again this is probably enough for a two hour span. Practice these in various combinations for homework.

NOW it's time to start a simple pattern. They have the basics down and can pretty much do anything.

You might include a class on pattern reading, too.

Sunshine's Mom
08-21-2008, 01:59 PM
I think you should make a list of what each person should bring to class with them. That way they can get their own yarn pursuant to their own allergies. Provide them with a guideline: "Worsted weight yarn of any kind you like and size ____ needles". "Needles may be plastic, wood or aluminum". If you have their e-mail addresses, send them links to what they should be looking for. This way you aren't out any money. It's a nice idea for you to buy supplies, but unless they are paying you back you would be upset if they decide not to come to the second class and walk off with your yarn and needles. I know I would. Any knitting class you'd go to you'd have to bring your own stuff anyway.

Cast on. Show them a simple cast on (my preference is long-tail because it's fast) or two or three, but not too many that they get bored because they want to start knitting.

I think you can get away with teaching both the knit stitch and the purl stitch in the same class. But wait to do binding-off until they've practiced more.

I think I might take a few minutes at the beginning to go over all the things that you're going to teach them and while doing each class you'll see how fast people are progressing and you can adjust from there.

I think this is a great idea and I'm envious of you getting to do this. I wish I had some friends who'd like to learn to knit. Enjoy it!!

stdwynwen
08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I went to a two day (total four hours) Knitting 101 class at JoAnn's back in November 2007.

My only complaint would have to be the project they picked (it was a purse). It just wasn't practical IMO. So I agree with others keep it simple and don't overload.

My favorite part of the 2nd day lesson was being taken through the isles learning about all the different yarns and how to read the labels (especially the symbols) on them. Looking at all the different needles.

What I also liked about it was the teacher wasn't married to a certain technique. I had learned a co before I went and it wasn't what she started everyone with . And the co did seem to take the longest to get through for everyone. I just went back to what I was comfortable with and sailed along.

tarrentella
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I would say to provide hand outs for them to take home that has information about different yarn weights and different types of needles as well as some common terms and abbreviations on. I would give this to people before the first lesson as a 'taster' and would also include a list of supplies that they need to get for their first class. It also meens that you wont have to spend to long defining every word you use which can either be boring or an information overload.

In lesson 1 i would teach a basic cast on but be prepared to cast on for some people. I would teach the knit and purl stitch and how to bind off. I would then send them home with another work sheet, recaping what you have done (a couple of diagrams of the 4 techniques as a reminder) and instructions for homework. Give them a choice, somthing simple like alternating blocks of knit with purls in a square and somthing a bit more complex like a wash cloth pattern that uses just knits and purls to create a shape for those who are a little more confident.

I think it is importnat to have a plan but make sure you have somthing else if they learn fast or if one person is a bit better than the others so that people dont get bored or confused.

tarrentella
08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
oh i had another idea!
if you are not going to start on a project right away but are worried that squares could be a bit boring or they might feel that they are a waste of yarn, not good for anything, how about suggesting that when they are ready to move onto usable projects you take all their swatches and sqaures and sew them into an oddball blanket which can be donated on behalf of the group to a local preemie ward?
It could be a good way of compromising between squares are good for learning the basics and wanting to produce somthing usefull.

InterNette
08-21-2008, 11:27 PM
My beginning class was fun. We had about 8 people. She had a basket in the middle of the table with balls of yarn and bamboo needles. We all got one set of needles and a ball of yarn. She taught us casting on with a cute saying about sheep that jumped over the fence and roped him and jump off.l I dont really remember it but the first day I repeated it 200 times. Anyway we did casting on, then knit and then purl and our homework was knit and purl
then the next week was increase and decrease and she gave us all a ball of cotton yarn. We cast of 3 and increased every row till 38 stitches and decreased then every row back to 3. We ended up with a washcloth. The repeated increases and decreases helped sink in. Our first project. The last week was just finishing the ball of with a combo of knit and purl, ( seed stitch), ribbing, knit2, purl 2 and so on whatever we felt like doing just do a sampler and after 3 weeks of 1.5 hour lessons my ball had everything in it, ribs, basketweave , and so on which was so empowering. I was told I could do anything and I did a t shirt sweater with filatura and been at it every since. I think the fact we were able to see how 2 stitches were the basis to everything made it all feel so easy.
Then there was another series if we wanted for ssk and m1 and so on but she said honestly if you get your pattern and yarn here you can come in anytime and sit at the table and I will always show you what you need to do your projects. So 3 lessons were it for me and I used visits into the shop and online help with vidoes and forums and I can do anything I want in knitting if I would simply learn to trust the pattern and stop my overthinking from time to time.

Oh I forgot we were taught how to count gauge and how to read yarn labels so we knew how much to purchase and what yarns required what needles, it was the best class ever.

feministmama
08-22-2008, 11:52 AM
I think you should make a list of what each person should bring to class with them. That way they can get their own yarn pursuant to their own allergies. Provide them with a guideline: "Worsted weight yarn of any kind you like and size ____ needles". "Needles may be plastic, wood or aluminum". If you have their e-mail addresses, send them links to what they should be looking for. This way you aren't out any money. It's a nice idea for you to buy supplies, but unless they are paying you back you would be upset if they decide not to come to the second class and walk off with your yarn and needles. I know I would. Any knitting class you'd go to you'd have to bring your own stuff anyway.

Totally agree. For one of my classes I taught, I went to Joannes and bought a bag of dowells equivelent to a size 10 needle and made strights with cute toppers for everyone in class to keep. It's only 99 cents.

jhelanee
08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I think this sounds like a great idea and you have gotten some good advice. Here is my $0.02:

1. I think limiting a first session to CO and K is probably plenty. If you introduce P too early some people can get confused and start doing odd hybrid stitches. I don't know which CO you were planning on doing, but I have heard others suggest teaching the "Knitting-On" method to beginners because it essentially teaches the knit stitch at the same time.

2. I would not suggest 100% cotton yarn for your initial teaching. It has essentially no elasticity to it and can be harder for some people to knit with than wool, blends or even acrylic. I also think it takes some skill to make stitches looks nice and even with 100% cotton, which could contribute to a fustrating experience for beginners.

3. A suggestion for a first "project" using their initial knitting attempts would be a felted coaster. After they have knitted squares/rectangles from 100% wool yarn, the practice pieces can be felted and then cut to whatever shape the knitter desires.

ArtLady1981
08-22-2008, 04:29 PM
I have successfully taught several non-knitters to knit!

Here is my 2 cents:

1) Teach them to cast on
2) Teach them to KNIT ONLY, that is to say: Garter stitch.
3) Teach them how to count stitches, aka "keep track" of stitch count.
4) Teach them how to pick up dropped stitches, or tink, or frog to make the correction.
5) Teach them to cast off.

PERIOD.

With the use of the skills of these 5 steps they can create scarves of all kinds, varying the appearance of said scarves by the needle size and the gauge of the yarn.

AFTER they have mastered these 5 steps, teach them to PURL...and create stocking stitch. (Step 6)

AFTER they have mastered PURL...teach them to alternate KNIT and PURL to create seed stitch and ribbing. (Step 7)

IF they are still with you after steps 1-7...move on to DISHCLOTHS, utilizing steps 1-7.

With all my students (free)...I did not supply anything except my time and printed handouts. They anted up the expense of their supplies: yarn, needles, crochet hook.

It is important that they match your efforts tit for tat. If they have something invested too...it shows they appreciate your time and effort. (I am speaking of free classes, of course)

(Must confess: for my granddaughters, I supplied them with everything! :heart: )

NOTE: I think a mistake most teachers make is throwing out too much information from the get-go. It is overwhelming. Allow them to master the most basic skills
to create something...then, and only then, move them on to the next step. Require that they master one thing at a time by refusing to teach additional skills before the first things are 'down pat'. My students were happy campers, making scarves for everyone they knew, as well as dishcloths of all kinds! The yarn for these small gifts doesn't break the bank, and they feel a sense of accomplishment in getting something DONE!

In other words: Teach adding and subtracting before teaching division and multiplication. :eyebrow:

Well, I guess I've added my 4 cents! :thumbsup:

Tropicflower24
08-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for everyones advice!! If they have something invested too...it shows they appreciate your time and effort. The reason I was paying for supplies, is that the class would not be free. (4 people it would be, but that would not be publicly known) The first class would be slightly more, because I would be paying for supplies. And my mom and I decided to move the class to Oct. so I have more time to get organized. :)

I :heart: my mom. :)